PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

ouwasp
8/10/2012, 03:54 PM
I really enjoy WWII history. Last month I read Retaking the Philippines by W. Breur. This caused me to seek out Corregidor: Rock Force Assault by Gen. Flanagan. Losing the Philippines and then retaking them 2 1/2 yrs later was a monumental part of WWII that often gets overshadowed by our Eurocentric view, imo. Corregidor itself was a symbol of American sacrifice early in the war. Its recapture was a completely brutal affair in February '45. One of the few airborne assaults of the Pacific War, that fact the its recapture happened at the same time as the battle of Iwo Jima relegates it to the backshelf of history, once again imo.

Now I'm getting ready to read America Attacks Japan: The Invasion That Never Was by Tim Maga. It recounts the plans for Operations Olympic and Coronet... imagine the bloodbath that would have been... invading Kyushu and Honshu...

pphilfran
8/10/2012, 04:10 PM
Sanford...Stolen Prey

Jacie
8/10/2012, 04:14 PM
Some WWII historians consider retaking of the Philippines was costly, unneccessary and done only so MacArthur could say he made good on his promise (We will return), that the U.S. should have by-passed them to focus on the island campaign to get our bombers closer to Japan.

The fall of Corregidor was the last battle where an American general (Wainright) surrendered to the enemy.

salth2o
8/10/2012, 04:48 PM
Just finished How Lucky You Can Be by Buster Olney.

Now reading Sh!t My Dad Says. Pretty funny read.

GDC
8/10/2012, 06:32 PM
The Parker series by Donald Westlake

These were the basis for the movies Point Blank and Payback.

olevetonahill
8/10/2012, 06:36 PM
Sooner Fans, What I win?

8timechamps
8/10/2012, 06:38 PM
The Devil in the White City (Eric Larson)

As most do, I typically just download books, but recently went to Barnes & Noble. I was looking for something to read and stumbled on this book. It's about the relation between an architect and serial killer in Chicago, and the backdrop is the 1893 World's Fair. Not something I would normally read, but so far it's pretty good. I try to alternate between fiction and non-fiction, but sometimes there aren't any non-fiction books that interest me. So far, this one has filled the bill.

hawaii 5-0
8/10/2012, 10:47 PM
Unbreakable

5-0

ouwasp
8/10/2012, 11:19 PM
Some WWII historians consider retaking of the Philippines was costly, unneccessary and done only so MacArthur could say he made good on his promise (We will return), that the U.S. should have by-passed them to focus on the island campaign to get our bombers closer to Japan.

The fall of Corregidor was the last battle where an American general (Wainright) surrendered to the enemy.

Yeah, I know Nimitz preferred to bypass the Philippines and go straight to Formosa (Taiwan) to use it as a fwd base to invade Japan. General Mac argued that America's honor was at stake in liberating the PI, since they were a US protectorate or whatever at the time. At least the Japs lost the bulk of their navy in this campaign.

Hindsight is 20/20, but the real shame is hitting Okinawa...12,000 US KIA and over 200,000 Japanese soldiers and civilians lost... all for a staging base that ended up not being necessary. The atomic bombs ended the war...

I read a rather good medical thriller on my Kindle last week. Pox is about a smallpox outbreak due to terrorists. Written by a doc from Tulsa.

What other interesting things are you reading?

C&CDean
8/11/2012, 08:01 AM
The Devil in the White City (Eric Larson)

As most do, I typically just download books, but recently went to Barnes & Noble. I was looking for something to read and stumbled on this book. It's about the relation between an architect and serial killer in Chicago, and the backdrop is the 1893 World's Fair. Not something I would normally read, but so far it's pretty good. I try to alternate between fiction and non-fiction, but sometimes there aren't any non-fiction books that interest me. So far, this one has filled the bill.

As most do? I've never downloaded a book in my life and wouldn't know how. I've been kicking around buying a Kindle, but it's just not the same as a book. Besides, that Kindle would hurt like hell when you drop it on your face while falling asleep.

I'm not reading anything these days. Just don't have the time. But I'll check this out when it comes out:

http://www.jkrowling.com/en_US/#/the-new-book/

olevetonahill
8/11/2012, 08:03 AM
As most do? I've never downloaded a book in my life and wouldn't know how. I've been kicking around buying a Kindle, but it's just not the same as a book. Besides, that Kindle would hurt like hell when you drop it on your face while falling asleep.

I'm not reading anything these days. Just don't have the time. But I'll check this out when it comes out:

Im with you Bro. Nothing like a BOOK in my hands.

SoonerAtKU
8/11/2012, 09:36 AM
I'm the same way. I have a Kindle, but I vastly prefer a physical book. My wife and I volunteered at the local library book sale this year and our payment was a bag of books each. A day well spent.

olevetonahill
8/11/2012, 10:08 AM
I'm the same way. I have a Kindle, but I vastly prefer a physical book. My wife and I volunteered at the local library book sale this year and our payment was a bag of books each. A day well spent.
I love our little local Library. Im one of if Not the best customer they have here.
I donate a few bucks regularly

rock on sooner
8/11/2012, 01:29 PM
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. My brain aches with all
the symbolism, but really interesting..

8timechamps
8/11/2012, 02:03 PM

I can't site statistics, but I'd be willing to bet that book downloads outnumber physical purchase in this country. If not, it can't be that far off. My 70 year old mom even downloads books to her Kindle. If she can do it, you can do it Dean! Beeotch!

olevetonahill
8/11/2012, 02:06 PM
This, But Im ONLY reading the articles
http://cdn100.iofferphoto.com/img/1069833600/_i/2010275/1.jpg

marfacowboy
8/11/2012, 04:10 PM
A friend of mine sent me an old copy of Shane. I'm enjoying the book more than the film.

Wishboned
8/11/2012, 06:26 PM
Sanford...Stolen Prey

Can't go wrong with some Lucas Davenport.

I'm currently reading Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz.

And I never thought I would enjoy a Kindle until I bought one. Now I wish I could digitize my entire collection. It's one of the most comfortable reading experiences I've ever had. And while I've never dozed off and dropped it on my face, I do have a rule that if I'm reading in bed, and I smack the cat with it three times then it's time for me to turn the light off and go to sleep.

olevetonahill
8/11/2012, 06:30 PM

And I never thought I would enjoy a Kindle until I bought one. Now I wish I could digitize my entire collection. It's one of the most comfortable reading experiences I've ever had. And while I've never dozed off and dropped it on my face, I do have a rule that if I'm reading in bed, and I smack the cat with it three times then it's time for me to turn the light off and go to sleep.

Smack the cat? Thats what Yall calling it now?

Wishboned
8/11/2012, 07:11 PM
Smack the cat? Thats what Yall calling it now?

I'd do cartwheels if I could "smack the cat" three times before I go to bed.

olevetonahill
8/11/2012, 07:16 PM
I'd do cartwheels if I could "smack the cat" three times before I go to bed.

If I could do cart wheels I could smack it 3 times

:D

8timechamps
8/11/2012, 11:02 PM

Give us a review of Odd Apocalypse when you're done. I was *this* close to getting that instead of what I bought.

olevetonahill
8/12/2012, 07:30 AM
Give us a review of Odd Apocalypse when you're done. I was *this* close to getting that instead of what I bought.

Library is yer friend
I used to buy my books. Then decided I could save that money for beer and just donate some to the library

MsProudSooner
8/12/2012, 09:29 AM
I love my Nook, but there is no way I could afford to buy everything I want to read. I check out regular books and ebooks from the library and mix it in with buying a few ebooks.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/12/2012, 10:16 AM
Sooner Fans, What I win?

a extra year's subscription.

C&CDean
8/12/2012, 03:45 PM
Or one of the leftover sponsor gifts.

MsProudSooner
8/12/2012, 05:19 PM
Most recently, I read Faithful Place by Tana French.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/books/12book.html?pagewanted=all

olevetonahill
8/12/2012, 05:21 PM
Ok, Right now Im reading
"Wild Fire" By Nelson Demille

CatfishSooner
8/14/2012, 04:43 PM
The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden

historical fiction about Caesar growing up ... (not very historically factual though, but very good)... there are 3 more in the series... Also I have read the series on Ghengis Khan by Iggulden = GREAT!

SicEmBaylor
8/14/2012, 05:56 PM
I'm reading this thread.

StoopTroup
8/14/2012, 10:54 PM
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

My Daughter has the entire series and also the 3 of the next Series (5 I think). Supposedly the 3rd Series is coming out next month. My Wife keeps wondering why I am reading them and has tried to get me some books a bit beyond the Harry Potter level of reading but so far I really enjoy these books. My daughter has good taste even though they can get a bit weird.

StoopTroup
8/14/2012, 11:26 PM
I really enjoy WWII history. Last month I read Retaking the Philippines by W. Breur. This caused me to seek out Corregidor: Rock Force Assault by Gen. Flanagan. Losing the Philippines and then retaking them 2 1/2 yrs later was a monumental part of WWII that often gets overshadowed by our Eurocentric view, imo. Corregidor itself was a symbol of American sacrifice early in the war. Its recapture was a completely brutal affair in February '45. One of the few airborne assaults of the Pacific War, that fact the its recapture happened at the same time as the battle of Iwo Jima relegates it to the backshelf of history, once again imo.

Now I'm getting ready to read America Attacks Japan: The Invasion That Never Was by Tim Maga. It recounts the plans for Operations Olympic and Coronet... imagine the bloodbath that would have been... invading Kyushu and Honshu...

That's awesome. I posted about the Ken Burns Series "The War" the other day. The stuff he does about Pelieu and Okinawa from Corporal Eugene "Sledgehammer" Sledge 3rd Battlion 5th Marines 1st Marine Division was captivating and really gives the reader a feeling of the hell he and the others he served with went through.

Today I saw a Movie called "John Ford goes to War" about all the footage Ford got of the War serving in the OSS. The footage of "Torpedo Squadron 8" right before they took off from the Aircraft Carrier USS Hornet and were never to return from their mission was something Ford didn't expect and definitely one of the things that would change him as someone who felt it his duty to try and capture the true spirit of the American Warriors of WWII.

Just a lot of great stuff with stories from lots of different people that really allows us and the kids after us to have documented proof of many things that occurred in that War because of Hitler and Hirohito as well as Benito Mussolini and the Trials Post War.

rock on sooner
8/15/2012, 07:56 AM
I'm reading this thread.

Pretty heavy lifting, huh?

proud gonzo
8/20/2012, 11:46 AM
"Whiplash River" by Lou Berney
"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time"

ouwasp
8/21/2012, 11:42 PM
That's awesome. I posted about the Ken Burns Series "The War" the other day. The stuff he does about Pelieu and Okinawa from Corporal Eugene "Sledgehammer" Sledge 3rd Battlion 5th Marines 1st Marine Division was captivating and really gives the reader a feeling of the hell he and the others he served with went through.

Today I saw a Movie called "John Ford goes to War" about all the footage Ford got of the War serving in the OSS. The footage of "Torpedo Squadron 8" right before they took off from the Aircraft Carrier USS Hornet and were never to return from their mission was something Ford didn't expect and definitely one of the things that would change him as someone who felt it his duty to try and capture the true spirit of the American Warriors of WWII.

Just a lot of great stuff with stories from lots of different people that really allows us and the kids after us to have documented proof of many things that occurred in that War because of Hitler and Hirohito as well as Benito Mussolini and the Trials Post War.

Years ago I met George Gay, the sole survivor of Torpedo 8. It was at a book signing, the title of which was Sole Survivor. Great old fellow to chat with, there was some artwork there depicting the ill-fated attack, he was happy to tell me which was most accurate, etc.

If you haven't read With the Old Breed by EB Sledge, go get a copy ASAP. Really, really good.

SicEmBaylor
8/21/2012, 11:47 PM
Pretty heavy lifting, huh?

;)

I just finished "1492" and just started "The Marine, 1914."

MsProudSooner
8/22/2012, 04:18 PM
I just finished "The Party Is Over: How Republicans Went Crazy, Democrats Became Useless and the Middle Class Got Shafted"

http://www.amazon.com/The-Party-Over-Republicans-ebook/dp/B007V65OLG]http://www.amazon.com/The-Party-Over-Republicans-ebook/dp/B007V65OLG (http://www.amazon.com/The-Party-Over-Republicans-ebook/dp/B007V65OLG]http://www.amazon.com/The-Party-Over-Republicans-ebook/dp/B007V65OLGhttp://)

This book was written by Mike Lofgren, a longtime Republican Congressional staffer in Washington, who retired in 2011.

MamaMia
8/22/2012, 04:35 PM
I just finished the Laura Ashley Fall Collection and am getting ready to cuddle up with the new Casswell Massey that came in the mail today.

OU4LIFE
8/23/2012, 03:51 PM
I just finished book 5 of the Bob Lee Swagger series - Dead Zero.

Good stuff, Bob the Nailer is one dangerous dude. and a true 'Merican.

Odd Apocalypse is next.