PDA

View Full Version : The Amish

badger
8/10/2012, 02:12 PM
Read an interesting article on them here. (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/9/amish-enjoy-unexpected-boom-in-numbers/)

Are there Amish in Oklahoma or where you live? There were tons up in the rural part of Wisconsin that I grew up in. We encountered their horse/buggy combo on the streets on many occasions. Here's some fun things about the Amish where I grew up:

1- Pay phones in the middle of nowhere. They can't own phones, but they can use them.
2- Bright orange reflectors on the back of the buggys. For safety reasons, because no-good teenage drivers drive fast.
3- Wave at everyone. Seriously, they do. Alas, they don't wear deodorant, so don't stand to close when they raise their arm to waive.

One time we had a pep band in a gas station parking lot as a fundraiser (raising funds requires creativity) and we started playing something when one of the Amish buggies rode by... and it spooked their horse. We immediately stopped while they got their horse calmed down and didn't start playing again till they were further away.

There was also a rumor that someone shot a buggy with a paintball gun during Homecoming week one year, but considering all of the stuff that were proven and not rumors that year, I'm surprised they didn't cancel the game and dance.

pphilfran
8/10/2012, 02:29 PM
Lived down the road from some when I lived in Tenn...had to watch out for their buggies...

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
8/10/2012, 02:37 PM
I used to work with a Mennonite at Discoveryland, west of Tulsa. He was pretty interesting. But they are a lot more liberal than the Amish.

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2012, 02:49 PM
Mayes County is full of Mennonites.

badger
8/10/2012, 02:59 PM
I used to work with a Mennonite at Discoveryland, west of Tulsa. He was pretty interesting. But they are a lot more liberal than the Amish.

One thing I heard about Amish is that they are definitely of a hive mentality, meaning that word passes quickly, when, say, a few Amish families decide to pool money to buy a clunker vehicle that they, themselves, will not drive, but have a non-Amish neighbor drive for them. Apparently the king bees of the hive were none too pleased.

KantoSooner
8/10/2012, 03:12 PM
I think there are a bundle over between Tulsa and Grand Lake; and then another bunch down near Atoka.

(I drive around a lot for work)

Jacie
8/10/2012, 04:28 PM
The Amish moved into this area a few years before i did. It is as rural as New York gets and with a declining population there was plenty of good farmland going cheap. The land here is perfect for Amish methods (hand planting, horse-drawn plows) since there are no really large flat tracts (nothing like the Midwest). These Amish are conservative even by Amish standards (which is why they moved here in the first place). For one, they refuse to put orange reflectors on their buggies (it is a big deal to them and yes, there have been car/buggie collisions with the results you'd expect when an auto strikes a wooden vehicle at high speed). They can and do own guns and some of em use tobacco. At least one Wal-Mart has hitching posts for their use. They also frequent local sub shops, convenience stores, McDonald's, etc. To my knowledge, no community has ever successfully imposed local building codes on them, an issue that comes up from time to time, nor are they required to clean up after their horses regardless of where they leave a load. It seems everytime an Amish is in the news their last name is Schwartzentruber.

badger
8/10/2012, 04:49 PM
I think it's a Wisconsin state law that buggies need the orange reflectors. They may not hold much regard for modern tech, but they do try to obey the law from what I've seen.

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2012, 04:52 PM
Is it wrong that years ago I had fantasies about sleeping with an Amish lass?

picasso
8/10/2012, 05:54 PM
They put up a good fight but they can't handle it when you throw a combination punch at them.

olevetonahill
8/10/2012, 06:06 PM
Is it wrong that years ago I had fantasies about sleeping with any lass ?

Gave up dint ya.

GDC
8/10/2012, 06:30 PM
lOfZLb33uCg

8timechamps
8/10/2012, 06:43 PM
Don't know much about the Amish, but my girlfriend loves their furniture. So, there's that.

Jacie
8/11/2012, 08:04 AM

I see them at rural auctions and always pay attention to what they bid on, usually tools or manually operated machinery. The Amish women are usually there so have had plenty of opportunities to check em out. As a group, they are the least attractive females i have ever seen.

MamaMia
8/16/2012, 01:19 PM
We have some around here. They actually come to the Atwood's parking lot once a year to sell their corn, but ours wear antiperspirant. I was behind a mother and daughter at the checkout at Walgreen's and they were buying bobby pins, hair brushes, Dove antiperspirant and toothpaste.

BillyBall
8/16/2012, 01:24 PM

I actually find it to be a positive step forward.

BillyBall
8/16/2012, 01:25 PM
I see them at rural auctions and always pay attention to what they bid on, usually tools or manually operated machinery. The Amish women are usually there so have had plenty of opportunities to check em out. As a group, they are the least attractive females i have ever seen.

But he's also into English chicks, so...

oudanny
8/16/2012, 02:24 PM
There are several Amish families between Tulsa and Coweta/Inola. I have eaten at their places several times. You had to call a local business that would deliver a message in order to make arrangements. Great food and very polite people.

winout
8/21/2012, 06:05 PM
There is a radio station the uses "The Fighting Amish" as their softball mascot/nickname.

Turd_Ferguson
8/21/2012, 06:59 PM
There are several Amish families between Tulsa and Coweta/Inola. I have eaten at their places several times. You had to call a local business that would deliver a message in order to make arrangements. Great food and very polite people.I was told there is an Amish restaurant off of the 412 around Inola that is really really good. I don't know exactly where it's at, but have been around the area a lot here lately.

swardboy
8/21/2012, 08:46 PM
Dutch Pantry in Chouteau?

KantoSooner
8/22/2012, 11:07 AM
They seem to make a load of butter and cheese. (I buy the butter in 5 lb cans in Atoka and it's great stuff. A bunch of it in an electric skillet with a bunch more garlic and some shrimp, along with french bread is pretty much heaven....but I digress.)

What is it with their dairy fixation? It disturbs me to think of these bearded men, up in the dark hours before dawn, hands on the nipples of cattle, plotting their cheesy plots. And Obama just sits there and does nothing! I'm outraged!!

diverdog
8/24/2012, 03:21 PM
I live in area full of Amish and know many families. My cleaning lady is Amish.

BillyBall
8/24/2012, 03:40 PM
I live in area full of Amish and know many families. My cleaning lady is Amish.

The whole no vacuum cleaner thing must suck.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/24/2012, 05:35 PM
The Amish here wear Nike and have cell phone... Well, some of them.

BigTip
8/24/2012, 10:45 PM
. It seems every time an Amish is in the news their last name is Schwartzentruber.

"Fifteen is my limit on Schwartzentruber baby"
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRjuwTSSrRScDiVPxbilOaYGlaTbLQO e2-G6qGu_R_j2YHwV-kZzaAX8X8wg

(He really says "schnitzengruber" for those of you that were wondering, "Now what is that word that he really used" lol)

BajaOklahoma
8/25/2012, 10:01 PM
I've been told that they are among the most prolific backyard breeders (dogs, not people). And that they keep the dogs in some of the worst conditions among backyard breeders.

opksooner
8/25/2012, 10:55 PM
"Bang, bang!"

Klippety klop, klippety klop, klippety klop.....

[/Amish drive by shooting]

diverdog
8/25/2012, 11:40 PM
The whole no vacuum cleaner thing must suck.

No she uses every modern appliance in our house. She recently converted to being a Mennonite and she bought a car. As a result she has been shunned by the Amish community.

We have lost a lot of Amish in this area because a number of them have been killed in highway accidents. Plus land prices went through the roof. Many sold and moved to Kentucky, Ohio or New York.

The Amish also face a lot of problems from inbreeding. The local Amish market is like a freak show with all the kids with genetic defects. The medical community has been talking to them and they are trying to move kids around to prevent more problems.

Skysooner
8/26/2012, 12:05 AM
There were lots of Mennoite/Amish (who can tell the diff) around Yoder, KS which is really close to Wichita. Great food in the restaurants. Looks of their women (not so much). I see them all the time when I travel. Kind of a strange confluence of planes and Amish. I always kind of thought they did the cross-country thing like Woody Harrelson did in Kingpin.