PDA

View Full Version : Should White House Ramadan dinner be cancelled?

cleller
8/10/2012, 02:00 PM
In light of the very public display of disapproval toward anyone who won't support gay marriage, should this still take place? Is this the right message to signal; a group so intolerant not only of gay marriage, but any type of acceptance of gays is to be feted at the White House table?

Now the gay community will be flipping off more portraits at the White House, I suppose.

badger
8/10/2012, 02:23 PM
I'll take the bait:

The meal should be canceled because Michelle Obama would starve if she had to wait till after sundown to eat.

okie52
8/10/2012, 02:35 PM
In light of the very public display of disapproval toward anyone who won't support gay marriage, should this still take place? Is this the right message to signal; a group so intolerant not only of gay marriage, but any type of acceptance of gays is to be feted at the White House table?

Now the gay community will be flipping off more portraits at the White House, I suppose.

Have it and serve pork.

badger
8/10/2012, 03:00 PM
Have it and serve pork.

No, no, let them eat cake. :P

Midtowner
8/10/2012, 03:03 PM

I know those on the Right couldn't possibly understand that it is okay to be civil with those whom you disagree with. Additionally, many Muslims, just like many Catholics believe in equal rights for all people. Having dinner with someone doesn't mean you have to agree on everything.

KantoSooner
8/10/2012, 03:16 PM
Plus it'll be the only way Obama gets to have rendang, nasi goreng and satay in the white house without somebody questioning his nationality.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/10/2012, 03:22 PM
Don't ya know he is muslim??? He needs to celebrate the end of Ramadan... ;)

BTW, try doing business with my Indonesian project colleagues now... Good Luck...

cleller
8/10/2012, 03:26 PM
I know those on the Right couldn't possibly understand that it is okay to be civil with those whom you disagree with. Additionally, many Muslims, just like many Catholics believe in equal rights for all people. Having dinner with someone doesn't mean you have to agree on everything.

I was referencing the tendency of those on the left being unable to be civil with those whom you disagree. It was the left proclaiming that Chick Fil-A had no right to do business in some cities. Rahm Emanuel was the White House Chief of Staff, now he's on the warpath against an entire restaurant chain because of its CEO's feelings on gay marriage. Having Muslims within 100 miles of the White House must be causing that intolerant despot (Rahm) all sorts of internal turmoil.

KantoSooner
8/10/2012, 04:10 PM
THA, you should know better than to try and get anything done during Ramadan. Just send everyone home, tell the head office that a mysterious virus has struck the country and go lay by the pool with a cool drink.
You'll live longer that way.

pphilfran
8/10/2012, 04:12 PM
Have it and serve pork.

Chik Fil A

AlboSooner
8/10/2012, 04:13 PM
You don't have to reach and make impossible connections to make Obama look hypocritical. Just look at his actual performance.

soonercruiser
8/10/2012, 10:09 PM
Have it and serve pork.

:biggrin:

SanJoaquinSooner
8/10/2012, 10:33 PM
Next thing you know he'll single-handedly give all those Ramadanians amnesty.

sooner n houston
8/12/2012, 04:17 PM

Wow, that is rich coming from those of you on the left who feel anyone that disagrees with them should be shouted down, barred, banned and boycotted!
And for the record, being gay is no more a "right" than being a pedophile.

okie52
8/12/2012, 04:29 PM

Thank God for the civility of the left.

jkjsooner
8/12/2012, 06:14 PM
Wow, that is rich coming from those of you on the left who feel anyone that disagrees with them should be shouted down, barred, banned and boycotted!

Last I checked Midtowner didn't support Emmanuel's stance (and neither did I) so your "those of you on the left" stereotype has no relevance.

It's easy to dismiss those with different opinions if you stereotype them all based on the worst examples of a few.

olevetonahill
8/12/2012, 06:19 PM
Last I checked Midtowner didn't support Emmanuel's stance (and neither did I) so your "those of you on the left" stereotype has no relevance.

It's easy to dismiss those with different opinions if you stereotype them all based on the worst examples of a few.

Kinda like Yall do with those on the right?

Midtowner
8/12/2012, 06:31 PM

Shouted down? I suppose it depends on who you are referring to or what they are saying. If your example of a righty I think should be shouted down is the following:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eNIRNjlAN8Y/TW9ETbO-CDI/AAAAAAAADNY/EdktQcK5rbY/s320/westboro.jpg

Then hell yes.

Barred/banned?

I'm not sure what that means... banned from what? Softball tournaments? I don't know who has ever said that sort of thingoutside of some 'tard back East.

Boycotted?

Boycotts can be effective if participated in by enough people, and frankly, when it doesn't really harm me to go to a different place for chicken, if a business experiences a dip in sales because they have managed to offend a lot of folks by taking social stands which have nothing to do with the products they sell, then I really have no problem with that. That's why a lot of smart companies stay away from making any blatant political statements at all.

As for whether being gay is no more a "right" than being a pedophile, I'd like to direct your attention to Lawrence v. Texas which held "A Texas law classifying consensual, adult homosexual intercourse as illegal sodomy violated the privacy and liberty of adults to engage in private intimate conduct under the 14th Amendment. Texas state courts reversed and charges dismissed." So yes, being gay and all the bedroom stuff that goes along with it is protected private intimate conduct under the 14th Amendment and you are wrong.

In short, buttsecks is protected by the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Pedophilia is not a right because children are not legally capable of consenting to sexual activity, hence the existence of statutory rape statutes where it is no defense that she looked 18.

cleller
8/12/2012, 07:31 PM
Thank God for the civility of the left.

I know what you mean. Disagree with them, and they stand ready to take away your right to do business, employ Americans, and provide for your family.
If this party stays in power, in a generation our civil liberties will be gone. Any dissent with The Party will be crushed. Next thing you know they'll be monitoring the internet like the Chinese in a further assault on our speech.

Midtowner
8/12/2012, 08:10 PM
I know what you mean. Disagree with them, and they stand ready to take away your right to do business, employ Americans, and provide for your family.
If this party stays in power, in a generation our civil liberties will be gone. Any dissent with The Party will be crushed. Next thing you know they'll be monitoring the internet like the Chinese in a further assault on our speech.

So hyperbole like this is your idea of civility and intelligent discussion of ideas? Yikes.

Turd_Ferguson
8/12/2012, 08:25 PM
So hyperbole like this is your idea of civility and intelligent discussion of ideas? Yikes.Like you'd have any ****'n knowledge of intelligent discussion...You might know the book end of things, but you have no common ****'n sense whatsoever...which is one of the major problems with this country today.

cleller
8/12/2012, 09:50 PM
So hyperbole like this is your idea of civility and intelligent discussion of ideas? Yikes.

Doesn't it sound familiar? I just hate the idea of the US and the freedom it has represented being overtaken by a totalitarian regime. A regime that crushes dissent with government power and bureaucracy.

Midtowner
8/12/2012, 10:00 PM
Like you'd have any ****'n knowledge of intelligent discussion...You might know the book end of things, but you have no common ****'n sense whatsoever...which is one of the major problems with this country today.

There's some more of that right wing civility we've all heard so much about.

Midtowner
8/12/2012, 10:02 PM
Doesn't it sound familiar? I just hate the idea of the US and the freedom it has represented being overtaken by a totalitarian regime. A regime that crushes dissent with government power and be bureaucracy.

Sounds kind of like a McCarthyistic chorus.... is extremism in defense of liberty is no vice!

The current administration (please... regime is what we use to describe foreign governments we don't like, have some respect for your country) does no such thing. The fact that you're free to say what you have been saying here on the interwebs and that Romney's PACs are free to disseminate disinformation pretty much proves you wrong.

cleller
8/13/2012, 07:25 AM
Sounds kind of like a McCarthyistic chorus.... is extremism in defense of liberty is no vice!

The current administration (please... regime is what we use to describe foreign governments we don't like, have some respect for your country) does no such thing. The fact that you're free to say what you have been saying here on the interwebs and that Romney's PACs are free to disseminate disinformation pretty much proves you wrong.

I may be free here, for now, but in Chicago I wouldn't be so completely free to discuss them. A certain ballet dancing potty mouthed maniac mayor would seek to deny me the ability to open a business just because of my religious beliefs. It all starts somewhere, with something fairly small, that people will knuckle under on.
Sooner or later people will get accustomed to it. Will Chicago end up like Berlin in the 1930s? This is the guy that Obama owes big time.

Midtowner
8/13/2012, 07:37 AM
I may be free here, for now, but in Chicago I wouldn't be so completely free to discuss them. A certain ballet dancing potty mouthed maniac mayor would seek to deny me the ability to open a business just because of my religious beliefs. It all starts somewhere, with something fairly small, that people will knuckle under on.

Not really. He may have said what he said, but when it comes time for the rubber to hit the road, Rahm will find him self unable to carry out his wishes. Just because we have someone in office who wants to do something illegal and unconstitutional doesn't mean that they'll be able to do so.

Sooner or later people will get accustomed to it. Will Chicago end up like Berlin in the 1930s? This is the guy that Obama owes big time.

I think if you asked a lot of people whether we should build a wall around Chicago and shoot anyone who tries to escape, you're going to find a lot of takers. (I kid of course)

cleller
8/13/2012, 07:44 AM
Not really. He may have said what he said, but when it comes time for the rubber to hit the road, Rahm will find him self unable to carry out his wishes. Just because we have someone in office who wants to do something illegal and unconstitutional doesn't mean that they'll be able to do so.

I think if you asked a lot of people whether we should build a wall around Chicago and shoot anyone who tries to escape, you're going to find a lot of takers. (I kid of course)

Thank Heaven

and

Amen.

jkjsooner
8/13/2012, 08:44 AM
Kinda like Yall do with those on the right?

When have I done that?

You just put me in the "y'all" category so it seems you still didn't get the point of my post.

Sooner98
8/13/2012, 10:24 AM
Shouted down? I suppose it depends on who you are referring to or what they are saying. If your example of a righty I think should be shouted down is the following:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eNIRNjlAN8Y/TW9ETbO-CDI/AAAAAAAADNY/EdktQcK5rbY/s320/westboro.jpg

Then hell yes.

Fred Phelps is a Democrat. I'm surprised that you would want to shout down one of your own.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/13/2012, 10:37 AM
THA, you should know better than to try and get anything done during Ramadan. Just send everyone home, tell the head office that a mysterious virus has struck the country and go lay by the pool with a cool drink.
You'll live longer that way.

Yeah, actually, I am trying to book a trip to Indonesia for next week and haven't heard on my hotel reservations as they are to be made by the In-Country manager's office and we can only stay at one hotel. I had to push up my trip as the 5 days around the weekend can't get a trip into Jakarta from anywhere, Hong Kong, Narita or Singapore... What's going on???

KantoSooner
8/13/2012, 11:04 AM
Everybody's delayed their travel and Ramadan is coming to an end. Try one of these two if you HAVE to be there:

Fly into Manila, then hop to Cebu, then get a commuter flight on to Jakarta. And if you have to lay over in Cebu for a day or three....well, sitting on a talcum powder beach with a cold San Mig in hand watching Philippinas play beach volleyball is not a bad way to spend a long, hard business trip. Bring dark sunglasses and wear gold jewelry, subtlety is not rewarded there...

Second, try Malaysia air out of LA through Kota Kinabalu in Borneo. Don't know if they still have the flight, but that used to be a nice back door into SE Asia when everything else was booked.

Just thought of this. Try Vietnam air into Ho Chi Minh and then see if they've got something on to Jakarta.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/13/2012, 11:52 AM
I would want to try that Viet Airline that has the bikini shows :eek:

Midtowner
8/13/2012, 11:57 AM
Fred Phelps is a Democrat. I'm surprised that you would want to shout down one of your own.

The old timey KKK was also full of Democrats. I'm no Democrat, so why would I care about party affiliation? Both parties are ridiculous. And to suggest that the Democrat Party as a whole approves of Phelps just nonsense and you know it.