PDA

View Full Version : Honey Badger

bssooner1
8/10/2012, 12:13 PM
Leaving LSU? Apparently a press conf today and Lester will speak of this. Anyone else think this is strange??

colleyvillesooner
8/10/2012, 12:14 PM
He gone. Word is failed 3rd drug test

@RandyRosetta

#LSU coach Les Miles: Tyrann Mathieu is no longer on our team.

@RandyRosetta

#LSU coach Les Miles: 'We'll miss him, but we have to go on."

@RandyRosetta

#LSU coach Les Miles: "Permanent. He will not be back."

@RandyRosetta

#LSU coach Les Miles: "We will help him try to find a place to play."

@RandyRosetta

#LSU coach Les Miles: "His teammates will miss him."

bssooner1
8/10/2012, 12:14 PM
http://www.wwl.com/Report--Les-Miles-to-talk-about---the-future-of-Ty/13952735.

Sooner02
8/10/2012, 12:20 PM
LSU's All American cornerback and Bednarik Award winner Tyrann Mathieu has been dismissed from the team for violation of team rules, Tigers' Coach Les Miles told the media in a hastily called noon press conference Friday.

Mathieu a college sensation as the Honey Badger during the Tigers 13-0 run to the BCS championship game last season with big defensive plays and two punt returns for touchdowns late in the season. He is a native of New Orleans and prepped at St. Augustine.

The 5-feet-9, 175-pounder had encountered off-field trouble before. He and teammates Spencer Ware and Tharold Simon were suspended for the Auburn game after testing positive for synthetic marijuana.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2012/08/lsu_all_american_tyrann_honey.html#incart_river_de fault

starclassic tama
8/10/2012, 12:20 PM
he'll be a mcdonalds french fry engineer before you know it

Mazeppa
8/10/2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.wwl.com/pages/13952735.php?contentType=4

Jason White's Third Knee
8/10/2012, 12:34 PM
If les got rid of him he must have slept w his wife or something.

SoonerofAlabama
8/10/2012, 12:35 PM
Haven't heard any potential schools. Anyone else hear anything?

SoonerStormchaser
8/10/2012, 12:37 PM
Ohio State will be after him in a heartbeat...Urban loves "projects" like him...

rock on sooner
8/10/2012, 12:42 PM
Dint think Lester had it in him....

SoonerofAlabama
8/10/2012, 12:45 PM
Apparently he has to go FCS because this is his third failed drug test.

BigJerm7
8/10/2012, 12:52 PM
honey badger dont care.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/10/2012, 01:06 PM
Apparently he has to go FCS because this is his third failed drug test.

LSU's official drug policy. First positive test: No suspension. Second: Up to 15 percent of games. Third: One year suspension.

badger
8/10/2012, 01:11 PM
My guess is they block him from transferring to other SEC schools and that he'll end up wherever their former standout quarterback ended up after Lester kicked him out.

How bout that... Lester laying down the law. Didn't know he had it in him. He probably REALLY screwed up to have this happen. It's not like an SEC program to release a Heisman Trophy candidate.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/10/2012, 01:16 PM
He's a Senior isn't he, one year sit-out will mean FCS for sure...

EDIT: He's a junior... after sit-out one year? My guess FCS and declare...

badger
8/10/2012, 01:17 PM

Junior. There's no way in hell he's going to do a year sit-out. He's going pro as soon as he's eligible (in one year).

ESPN just did a big feature on his return ability last year earlier this week. He really, REALLY must have effed up majorly.

SoonerofAlabama
8/10/2012, 01:18 PM

He's a true junior.

Oh and according to Feldman, he may not e eligible at all depending on what LSU does.

http://twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS/status/233985684891918336

TheHumanAlphabet
8/10/2012, 01:24 PM
So...what happens if they check not eligible to play at LSU?

SoonerofAlabama
8/10/2012, 01:29 PM
So...what happens if they check not eligible to play at LSU?

Then he wont be able to play for any NCAA school this upcoming season.

badger
8/10/2012, 01:30 PM
No idea... but I do know that just three days ago on Tuesday, he was representing LSU at media days. Thus, something just happened recently (or was discovered recently). So weird.

I know that when Rhett got kicked off, he was already on the OU schedule posters, so it's possible that a long investigation was just finalized.

Here's what Wikipedia said on the dismissal of Ryan Perrilloux:

On February 18, 2008, Coach Miles indefinitely suspended Perrilloux for violating team rules. The rules which he violated are unknown, but an LSU associate athletic director stated "it's nothing outside the football program". The New Orleans Times-Picayune reported that Perrilloux's transgressions included missing classes, workouts and at least one team meeting.

On May 2, 2008, LSU head coach Les Miles kicked Perrilloux off the team for "not fulfilling his obligation" as an LSU student-athlete. He is reported to have a failed a drug test due to marijuana, missed a team meeting, skipped classes and was late for a handful of conditioning workouts

stoops the eternal pimp
8/10/2012, 01:30 PM
If he isn’t suspended by the school, then he can use the one-time transfer exception to go to an FCS school.

Mississippi Sooner
8/10/2012, 01:32 PM
Grambling is just up the road. I'm sure they'd be glad to have him.

badger
8/10/2012, 01:32 PM
Here's the announcement video:
iIx-vqbwNlM

SoonerofAlabama
8/10/2012, 01:53 PM
Speaking of dismissed cornerbacks who are pretty good return men, any more news on Greg Reid?

KantoSooner
8/10/2012, 02:20 PM
Word is he was tag teaming Les' wife, daughter and three women neighbors of Les' simultaneously while video recording the act(s) with intent to distribute through the Russian mob while smoking crack that he bought with money he had taken at gun point from 14 residents of an old folks home.

And he parked in Les' parking place.

He was still good right up until that last bit.

85sooners
Nice

LakeRat
video doesn't work, do we have a new one?

8timechamps
8/10/2012, 02:27 PM
If he isn’t suspended by the school, then he can use the one-time transfer exception to go to an FCS school.

That's what will probably happen. He'll move to an FCS school for a year, then declare.

I'm pretty sure we haven't heard the last of him. Guys like this can't seem to understand there are consequences for their actions (even at LSU), and I can't imagine his character is going to do a 180 between now and when (if) he plays in the NFL.

badger
8/10/2012, 02:34 PM
LOL at Tiger Droppings thread up to 41 pages and then they stickied this thread:

Chances are, it's been covered and you can find a topical thread already on the Rant.

TYIAFYC

soonersam
8/10/2012, 02:41 PM
See kids this is what happens when you don't give a #@&%!

badger
8/10/2012, 03:18 PM
video doesn't work, do we have a new one?

Sure why not:
P32MhYU95pI

Scott D
8/10/2012, 03:33 PM
Eh, the way Leslie came across it seemed to me that it was a "I booted him because I had to because of university rules, not because it was the right thing to do" thing.

cccasooner2
8/10/2012, 03:34 PM
Sure why not:
P32MhYU95pI

Honey, let'er rip!

ouwasp
8/10/2012, 04:03 PM
Praise the football gods that I won't ever have to hear Musberger rave about that kid again!

budbarrybob
8/10/2012, 04:51 PM

O.O

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2012, 04:55 PM
Praise the football gods that I won't ever have to hear Musberger rave about that kid again!

Amen!

badger
8/10/2012, 05:00 PM

Hmm...
http://www.playerwives.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/225batonrouge.jpg

btw, I see Jason White on Tulsa TV a lot here. He's got an endorsement dealio with a local A/C repair company :)

Seamus
8/10/2012, 05:15 PM
Hmm...

Which one's Les?

tulsaoilerfan
8/10/2012, 09:27 PM
Hes a dumbass and will probably be an NFL washout because he can't pass a freakin drug test

8timechamps
8/10/2012, 10:27 PM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k507/8timechamps1/HoneyBadger.jpg

hawaii 5-0
8/10/2012, 10:44 PM
Hmm...

btw, I see Jason White on Tulsa TV a lot here. He's got an endorsement dealio with a local A/C repair company :)

She looks like Rachael Maddow's good lookin' sister. Woof !!

5-0

Sabanball
8/10/2012, 10:53 PM
Sad, the kid, regardless of what you thought of him, was a huge talent. But, LSU losing the honey badger is like the Air Force crashing a fighter jet--it's not like they don't have more. Guys like him grow on trees down there. They still have two starters back from last season in their defensive backfield. Besides, playing db has not been where he had the most impact anyway--it was when he played in their nickel package and basically became a linebacker against pass protection and on special teams.

The corndogs are so loaded with this kind of talent they won't miss a beat....they are that good and deep at the position.

Sabanball
8/10/2012, 10:55 PM
My guess is they block him from transferring to other SEC schools and that he'll end up wherever their former standout quarterback ended up after Lester kicked him out.

How bout that... Lester laying down the law. Didn't know he had it in him. He probably REALLY screwed up to have this happen. It's not like an SEC program to release a Heisman Trophy candidate.

Les had no say in this. The dismissal was strictly procedural and school policy.

Jacie
8/11/2012, 07:56 AM
. . . LSU losing the honey badger is like the Air Force crashing a fighter jet--it's not like they don't have more. Guys like him grow on trees down there. They still have two starters back from last season in their defensive backfield. Besides, playing db has not been where he had the most impact anyway--it was when he played in their nickel package and basically became a linebacker against pass protection and on special teams.

The corndogs are so loaded with this kind of talent they won't miss a beat....they are that good and deep at the position.

Perhaps but the hit to LSU is in the PR department. When non- or casual fans read "Tyrann Mathieu dismissed from the team" it means nothing to them. However, when they read "The Honey Badger is dismissed from the team" everyone knows who that is, has heard of him and most can associate him with LSU and Les Miles. It tarnishes the image if not the team.

Lott's Bandana
8/11/2012, 10:16 AM
Les Miles booting a kid is like Mangino driving past a Hometown Buffet.

cccasooner2
8/11/2012, 12:34 PM
Oops! Fast work by SI on 8/10 for their 2012 Preseason All-America Team.

"Note: Our original list featured Tyrann Mathieu as the first-team cornerback and return man. He has since been dismissed by LSU and replaced here by Johnthan Banks on defense and Tyler Lockett on special teams. "

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/08/09/preseason-all-america-team/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a0

SoonerofAlabama
8/11/2012, 04:10 PM
Praire View A&M has been contacted by him as well.

trwxxa
8/11/2012, 04:15 PM
The kid just threw a few million dollars down the toilet. Many NFL draft gurus had him mid-late 1st round next year.

SoonerofAlabama
8/11/2012, 04:17 PM
The kid just threw a few million dollars down the toilet. Many NFL draft gurus had him mid-late 1st round next year.

He didn't throw it down the toilet... He smoked it, of course. ;)

Sabanball
8/11/2012, 09:38 PM
Perhaps but the hit to LSU is in the PR department. When non- or casual fans read "Tyrann Mathieu dismissed from the team" it means nothing to them. However, when they read "The Honey Badger is dismissed from the team" everyone knows who that is, has heard of him and most can associate him with LSU and Les Miles. It tarnishes the image if not the team.

I think you've got Les Miles confused with Mark Richt or Gene Chizik--now THOSE are two programs where the inmates seem to be running the asylum, but I don't see how you can say that about LSU and claim somehow that their overall 'image' is somehow tarnished. One guy screwed up and it was immediately and decisively dealt with. Say what you want about the Grass-Eater, but he's had a pretty dang good run at LSU and will contend again this yr for a NC--and overall I think he runs a clean program. As a fan of a program that has battled with him for going on 8 yrs now, I've really grown to respect him and consider him one of the top 5 college coaches currently in the game.

HAMTTX
8/12/2012, 04:05 AM
I think you've got Les Miles confused with Mark Richt or Gene Chizik--now THOSE are two programs where the inmates seem to be running the asylum, but I don't see how you can say that about LSU and claim somehow that their overall 'image' is somehow tarnished. One guy screwed up and it was immediately and decisively dealt with. Say what you want about the Grass-Eater, but he's had a pretty dang good run at LSU and will contend again this yr for a NC--and overall I think he runs a clean program. As a fan of a program that has battled with him for going on 8 yrs now, I've really grown to respect him and consider him one of the top 5 college coaches currently in the game.

It has more to do with the combination of events. Most people forget things rather quickly. But in this case, those of us who follow this sport realize this a continuation of the fighting that went on last year prior to the season. So now you have violence and drugs, so yes LSU and Miles take a hit in the rep department. As well as I have to agree to disagree: Miles IS just like Richt, Cziak.

That said, Sabanball you still living in Gadsden?

Sooner Stew
8/12/2012, 09:37 AM
I saw in an article that he's leaning towards McNeese State...Isnt that where Steve McNair played? Or was it Alcorn State?

badger
8/12/2012, 02:09 PM
Ja i heard mcnese also. I think espn quoted an lsu players twitter

dennis580
8/12/2012, 06:24 PM
Wow that is a HUGE loss for LSU. This guy seemed to always either force or come up with turnovers at critical times.

colleyvillesooner
8/12/2012, 07:22 PM
That was Alcorn state for McNair.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/13/2012, 08:49 AM
The Honey Badger smokes what he wants.

badger
8/13/2012, 08:56 AM
Just for fun: (NSFW audio)
4r7wHMg5Yjg

colleyvillesooner
8/13/2012, 10:31 AM
Per Joe Schad, he now apparently he wants to stay at LSU, sit out a year go to class then come back in 2013.

Former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu has expressed interest in sitting out this season, staying in class and hoping for a return to the program in 2013, if it can be worked out with the school, according to sources.

Mathieu was dismissed from the team and suspended for the season following failed substance-abuse tests but not dismissed by the university. The possibility of future reinstatement would have to be approved at many levels, including university administration and head coach Les Miles, and it is being discussed.

Mathieu has visited McNeese State, and that remains an option, according to a source close to Mathieu. And while other FCS schools including Jackson State and Prairie View A&M have expressed interest, they are not options at this time.

Mathieu has been described as "heartbroken" and "grieving" since his dismissal from the team.

Mathieu has told people close to him that he is interested in working on his maturity and character and also in seeking out any way to continue his education at LSU.

The possibility to declare for the NFL draft after this season also exists. But Mathieu has told people close to him that draft status it is not a priority at this time. If he were to stay at LSU, paying his own way for at least one season is a possibility.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/13/2012, 10:35 AM
I doubt that he was heartbroken or grieving as he was smoking the chronic...

SoonerofAlabama
8/13/2012, 10:38 AM
Per Joe Schad, he now apparently he wants to stay at LSU, sit out a year go to class then come back in 2013.

Honey Badger is the Dwight Howard of college football. ;)

badger
8/13/2012, 10:49 AM
It is an interesting situation, given that OU dealt with something similar in Dusty Dvoracek who had an anger management problem, sat out a year, got really good grades and came back as a team captain the following year and even got drafted fairly high by da beras (2nd round, right?) after dealing with his personal demons via counseling and making amends with his friend.

Some opposing fans (and maybe some Sooner fans) scoffed at it, saying that Stoops was giving a good player special treatment, but there was no denying that Dusty put in the classroom work, got counseling and earned his way back on the team.

I doubt that he was heartbroken or grieving as he was smoking the chronic...

I am not familiar with the chronic. Is it an addictive substance, like alcohol or meth? Or, is it just something unhealthy that people choose to do for the hell of it, like drinking soda instead of something healthier?

starclassic tama
8/13/2012, 11:34 AM
it's not physically addicting like alcohol or heroin. basically it's just something that people really enjoy but can definitely live without if they have the will power. those like mathieu who don't have the will power to not do it when it will jeopardize their career are the ones who get in trouble. most athletes do it at least every once in awhile but can control themselves and it never causes a problem

yermom
8/13/2012, 12:25 PM
if he played at McNeese State this year he could transfer to a FBS school next year, right? isn't that what little ears did after stealing the laptop at Florida?

yermom
8/13/2012, 12:27 PM
it's not physically addicting like alcohol or heroin. basically it's just something that people really enjoy but can definitely live without if they have the will power. those like mathieu who don't have the will power to not do it when it will jeopardize their career are the ones who get in trouble. most athletes do it at least every once in awhile but can control themselves and it never causes a problem

wasn't it synthetic marijuana? what the hell is that anyway?

Mazeppa
8/13/2012, 12:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8264350/tyrann-mathieu-interest-staying-lsu-sources-say

SoonerofAlabama
8/13/2012, 12:31 PM
DrugFacts: Spice (Synthetic Marijuana)

“Spice” refers to a wide variety of herbal mixtures that produce experiences similar to marijuana (cannabis) and that are marketed as “safe,” legal alternatives to that drug. Sold under many names, including K2, fake weed, Yucatan Fire, Skunk, Moon Rocks, and others—and labeled “not for human consumption”—these products contain dried, shredded plant material and chemical additives that are responsible for their psychoactive (mind-altering) effects

Synthetic Marijuana is usually called spice.

En_Fuego
8/13/2012, 12:34 PM
Never heard of such a thing.

PalmBeachSooner
8/13/2012, 02:07 PM

Rumor is Lester and wife are swingers so I don't think this would be a problem.

Sabanball
8/13/2012, 02:18 PM
It has more to do with the combination of events. Most people forget things rather quickly. But in this case, those of us who follow this sport realize this a continuation of the fighting that went on last year prior to the season. So now you have violence and drugs, so yes LSU and Miles take a hit in the rep department. As well as I have to agree to disagree: Miles IS just like Richt, Cziak.

That said, Sabanball you still living in Gadsden?

Yep, sure am.

I guess only time will tell, but I don't see this story doing any serious damage to their program. A little embarrassing, maybe, but nothing more than that. There were some serious internal problems on that team last season, but I don't think it was due to a thug culture being allowed or enabled by the coaching staff, but rather had mainly to do with Mile's starting qb decisions. That problem is gone now with Mettenberger in place and the departure of Jordan Jefferson.

Once the season starts, I predict that the story will gradually fade away. Like Ive said before, LSU is very deep talent-wise at this position and I think they have a chance to be just as good and dominant as they were last season.

badger
8/13/2012, 02:32 PM
Satanball, would you please just beat everyone in the SEC? We can take care of everyone in the Big 12. That way, both of us will win the national championship from here to eternity and we don't have to worry about these other crappy programs that aren't as awesome as ours.

yermom
8/13/2012, 02:34 PM
part of that rep is all of the house cleaning Gumby had to do when he took over for him in Stillwater

i'm not sure how they fielded a team that year...

8timechamps
8/13/2012, 05:43 PM
if he played at McNeese State this year he could transfer to a FBS school next year, right? isn't that what little ears did after stealing the laptop at Florida?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA...Little Ears....perfect!

IIRC, Florida wouldn't allow Little Ears to return (not that he wanted to), so I'm not sure if it's an NCAA rule, or just school by school. I'm thinking it's an NCAA rule if the Chronic Badger doesn't want to play at the FCS level then return to LSU.

SoonerofAlabama
8/13/2012, 05:46 PM
LSU says he won't be able to play for them again but would be able to return to school as a student-only per Joe Schad.

yermom
8/13/2012, 05:53 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA...Little Ears....perfect!

IIRC, Florida wouldn't allow Little Ears to return (not that he wanted to), so I'm not sure if it's an NCAA rule, or just school by school. I'm thinking it's an NCAA rule if the Chronic Badger doesn't want to play at the FCS level then return to LSU.

yeah, but he went to Blinn, then to Allbarn. JC's are probably different than FCS though. still, he could go the JC route then, and play for a year somewhere good. not sure which is better for his draft status

8timechamps
8/13/2012, 05:57 PM
yeah, but he went to Blinn, then to Allbarn. JC's are probably different than FCS though. still, he could go the JC route then, and play for a year somewhere good. not sure which is better for his draft status

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm sure it's treated different.