PDA

View Full Version : High school coach takes issue with Alabama recruiting tactics

Mazeppa
8/9/2012, 08:37 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/high-school-coach-takes-issues-alabama-recruiting-tactics-213239312--ncaaf.html

85sooners
8/9/2012, 08:44 PM
Sec sec sec

228Sooner
8/10/2012, 11:41 AM
You are a fool if you don't think this happens at the majority of major 1A programs...

prrriiide
8/10/2012, 12:06 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=7&f=1372&t=9213109

I've seen this TennStud poster before...a co-worker knows him. He's a straight shooter with REALLY good info. He called the Means scandal @ Bama before it broke a few years back.

Jacie
8/10/2012, 12:43 PM
You are a fool if you don't think this happens at the majority of major 1A programs...

Do you know which highschools Bob Stoops steers recruits to for help?

BigJerm7
8/10/2012, 12:53 PM
Do you know which highschools Bob Stoops steers recruits to for help?

Tulsa Webster.

badger
8/10/2012, 01:15 PM
I know that there are tons of college and high school dropouts that go on to become millionaires and billionaires, but they are few and far between. If athletes, especially football athletes that currently have no venue to go to between high school and the NFL except COLLEGE (which as it's name suggests is a higher EDUCATION institution), think they can slide by without learning sh!t, they need to think again. They need to be good students, not just good athletes.

Basketball? Be a dum-dum and go straight to the pros in Europe and then the NBA, then be a fool and part with your money before, during and after your retirement.

Baseball? Be a dum-dum and go straight to the pros and minor league it up a bit before making several million annually to catch and throw a ball, derp derp.

Football? There's no way around it, you have got to go to college, and to go to college, you have to be academically eligible.

OU_Sooners75
8/10/2012, 02:53 PM
You don't have to go to college before going to the NFL.

You only have to be removed from high school 3 years before being able to get drafted in the NFL or become a free agent.

Now then, there really is not any other stepping stones between high school and the NFL outside of college. There is no developemental leagues or minor league program for the NFL.

Basketball has the d league.
Baseball has the minors.
Hockey has the ihl and chl.

badger
8/10/2012, 03:21 PM
You don't have to go to college before going to the NFL.

Don't have to... I mean, technically, I could be signed by an NFL team, but seriously now, how many players out there didn't play any college ball that get on an NFL roster?

The closest one that I recall recently was Brock Lesnar, the ex-UFC champ that is now periodically on WWE. He didn't play college ball (he wrestled instead) but made it through all of the Vikings camp one preseason (apparently getting into a few fights, hehe) and then declining an invite to NFL Europe, so he was cut.

cccasooner2
8/10/2012, 03:26 PM
Sec sec sec

You've gotten quite vocal.

cccasooner2
8/10/2012, 03:28 PM
Don't have to... I mean, technically, I could be signed by an NFL team, but seriously now, how many players out there didn't play any college ball that get on an NFL roster?

The closest one that I recall recently was Brock Lesnar, the ex-UFC champ that is now periodically on WWE. He didn't play college ball (he wrestled instead) but made it through all of the Vikings camp one preseason (apparently getting into a few fights, hehe) and then declining an invite to NFL Europe, so he was cut.

Does 3 months count? Mike Hawkins (2000 recruit) did it.

badger
8/10/2012, 03:31 PM
Does 3 months count? Mike Hawkins (2000 recruit) did it.

Hehe... I can't believe I didn't remember him. He was on the Packers, wasn't he :D

cccasooner2
8/10/2012, 03:39 PM
Hehe... I can't believe I didn't remember him. He was on the Packers, wasn't he :D

Yeah, I just hope Simon doesn't follow his path.

Salt City Sooner
8/10/2012, 03:40 PM

First name that I think of when this subject comes up (had a pretty darn good career) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Swann

OU_Sooners75
8/10/2012, 03:52 PM
I don't know how long hawkins was at OU...don't even remember him to be honest. But he didn't make it into the NFL until 2005? He played with the dallas despardoes in 2004.

So he wasn't out of high school for just 3 months before going...unless imisunderstood what was said about him.

cccasooner2
8/10/2012, 04:14 PM
I don't know how long hawkins was at OU...don't even remember him to be honest. But he didn't make it into the NFL until 2005? He played with the dallas despardoes in 2004.

So he wasn't out of highici school for just 3 months before going...unless imisunderstood what was said about him.

I think he dropped out of OU after STARTING as a true frosh and then went hardship after some years to the arena football league. At some point the Packers took interest and he played quite well for them. Nagging injuries ruined his career that ended appropriately in Cleveland.

OU_Sooners75
8/10/2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks.

Couldn't really find a lot about him.

Mississippi Sooner
8/10/2012, 05:21 PM
One name always comes to mind when talking about guys who played in the NFL without ever playing in college: Otis Sistrunk. His career was only so-so, just one Pro Bowl, but he was an intimidating presence on the field for the Raiders.

8timechamps
8/10/2012, 06:23 PM
Does anyone remember when the NFL enacted the three-year rule?

Badger brings up a good point, there is no amateur football league. Essentially, college football is the amateur league, and if a kid can't make it in college (and lets face it, college really isn't for everyone), there are no options (unless the Canadian football league lets them in).

Maurice Clarrett took the NFL to court in an effort to force the league to let him play. The court ruled in favor of the NFL. So, that rule isn't going to change anytime soon.