PDA

View Full Version : Observations from Thursday practice/scrimmage

8timechamps
8/9/2012, 05:41 PM
This is all second hand, but some interesting stuff:

* Roy Finch has not been running with the first team at RB, but has been seeing more time in the slot. Learning the intricacies of the position, but (as usual) making plays when he gets the ball. Whaley and Clay are alternating touches with the first string.

* LB is looking very good as a unit. Shannon and Franklin are starting to show they can contribute, and (freshman) Eric Striker is making some noise.

* Freshman center Ty Darlington (who has been running with the second string) starting to get some time with the first string. Looks like he could see playing time at center this season.

* Metoyer looks like he's a junior or senior.

* LaColton Bester had "the play of the day". Apparently had an amazing catch.

* Kenny Stills has been working (with Finch) in the slot.

* The competition at CB is starting to heat up a little. Freshman CB Gary Simon is turning a lot of heads.

* Freshman DE Charles Tapper may be the biggest DE on the team, and is apparently adjusting very quickly.

* OL Nila Kasitiani was in pads today practicing (FINALLY, some good news for the OL).

* Back up QB Trevor Knight looks "outstanding".

Really, the best news I heard was that nobody was injured today.

boomersooner28
8/9/2012, 06:35 PM
No doubt. Over the last few years, I have become hesitant about reading practice reports because there has been so much bad news, from injuries to defections to academic issues, etc....

Sabanball
8/9/2012, 06:42 PM
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Who do you see taking on the leadership role on your D this year?

8timechamps
8/9/2012, 06:48 PM
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Who do you see taking on the leadership role on your D this year?

From everything I've heard/read, R.J. Washington (DE) and Tom Wort (LB) are the vocal leaders. I'm sure Tony Jefferson (S) is in there as well. Speaking of that, who is Bama looking to on defense?

cccasooner2
8/9/2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the post 8t, the All-Access videos are the only real action I get to see and then it's not enough (I want every minute :D) ). The little snippets show what you said minus Knight (the camera does not give any of the QBs much time). On Simon, I believe he would have had at least two picks in real game situations, he always seems to be in the right position. There is a very funny 8/9 DB Footwork, Angles video showing him not quite getting the drill.

8timechamps
8/9/2012, 06:55 PM
No problem-o. I have a contact that is privy to much more information that I am (he's a 'journalist', not anyone inside the program). He doesn't tell me anything super secret (or anything that wouldn't come out eventually), so I pass along anything he shares with me. Anyway, I can't get enough this time of year.

The news on Simon kind of took me by surprise. I hadn't heard much about him until today. I think we have some young talent in the secondary, and Simon may be the best of the young guys.

SoonerofAlabama
8/9/2012, 06:56 PM
Has he told you anything else about Whaley?

Sabanball
8/9/2012, 06:57 PM
From everything I've heard/read, R.J. Washington (DE) and Tom Wort (LB) are the vocal leaders. I'm sure Tony Jefferson (S) is in there as well. Speaking of that, who is Bama looking to on defense?

Without a doubt, Nico Johnson, lb from Andalusia, AL. He'll be a senior and plays at the jack linebacker position. We also have Robert Lester coming back at db for his senior yr. Both have extensive playing and game time experience(Nico played in both of our BCS NG's against T**as and the corndogs.) Nico seems to have settled in very nicely and matured as the leader of the D and actually relishes it by taking time to work with the freshman and other younger players.

But of course our TEAM leader is qb AJ McCarron and the word out of camp is that he is only getting better. After watching videos and following fall camp so far, can't say enough about McCarron's consistency during drill work. From his footwork to his release to his touch on the passes that require more loft and less velocity, there is no doubt he's improved mechanically. He is putting the ball on the money every day. Because we're so young at the position depth-wise, keeping McCarron upright and healthy for 12 games is of tantamount importance. With a dominant offensive line and a solid running game, we won't need McCarron to throw for 300 yards a game the way Georgia will need that from Aaron Murray, the way Arkansas will need it from Tyler Wilson, the way Tennessee will need it from Tyler Bray, and more than likely you guys willl get with L. Jones. But I have no doubt McCarron could do exactly that if he was called on for it.

8timechamps
8/9/2012, 08:05 PM
The only thing he's told me is that Whaley has been telling everyone he's 100%. So, really nothing.

8timechamps
8/9/2012, 08:07 PM
Without a doubt, Nico Johnson, lb from Andalusia, AL. He'll be a senior and plays at the jack linebacker position. We also have Robert Lester coming back at db for his senior yr. Both have extensive playing and game time experience(Nico played in both of our BCS NG's against T**as and the corndogs.) Nico seems to have settled in very nicely and matured as the leader of the D and actually relishes it by taking time to work with the freshman and other younger players.

But of course our TEAM leader is qb AJ McCarron and the word out of camp is that he is only getting better. After watching videos and following fall camp so far, can't say enough about McCarron's consistency during drill work. From his footwork to his release to his touch on the passes that require more loft and less velocity, there is no doubt he's improved mechanically. He is putting the ball on the money every day. Because we're so young at the position depth-wise, keeping McCarron upright and healthy for 12 games is of tantamount importance. With a dominant offensive line and a solid running game, we won't need McCarron to throw for 300 yards a game the way Georgia will need that from Aaron Murray, the way Arkansas will need it from Tyler Wilson, the way Tennessee will need it from Tyler Bray, and more than likely you guys willl get with L. Jones. But I have no doubt McCarron could do exactly that if he was called on for it.

Johnson is a solid player, but I loved watching Hightower. AJ McCarron is perfect for what you guys do.

I am so freakin' ready for the season to start.

85sooners
8/9/2012, 08:50 PM
Let's get it on

goingoneight
8/9/2012, 11:23 PM
That's not surprising about Trevor Knight. I know a lot of folks around here believe it's an Allen/Bell race to replace Landry Jones in 2013 (and it may be experience-wise), but this kid is a natural. Not the most-flashy numbers you've ever seen in HS, but neither were Sam Bradford's. The guy's HS film I've seen makes him look a lot like Sam. Very smart decision-maker and accurate passer.

cleller
8/10/2012, 08:16 AM
Any word on Jaydan Bird? I thought he showed promise.

Some things I dd not know about Bird:
http://oklahoma.scout.com/2/835812.html

8timechamps
8/10/2012, 02:22 PM
Any word on Jaydan Bird? I thought he showed promise.

Some things I dd not know about Bird:
http://oklahoma.scout.com/2/835812.html

The last thing I heard about Bird was that he could be in jeopardy of sliding down the depth chart. I don't think it's because he's not playing up to his ability, I think it's just because Franklin and Shannon are impressive.

However, given that he's got more experience than either Franklin or Shannon, he'll probably start the season ahead of them on the depth chart.

PLaw
8/10/2012, 02:45 PM
* LB is looking very good as a unit. Shannon and Franklin are starting to show they can contribute, and (freshman) Eric Striker is making some noise.

Comforting. I think this unit is at the top of my concern list - Wort's durability, Byrd's foot speed, and heretofore depth. Shannon and Franklin growing into contributing players will be huge.

BOOMER

85sooners
8/10/2012, 02:55 PM
I heard we need a stellar d to compete for a title

cccasooner2
8/10/2012, 03:20 PM
Just keep your super non-secret updates rolling. Tom Wort would probably say: "Come on, let's bring that super non-secret info on." :)

SoonerofAlabama
8/10/2012, 06:19 PM
Some more news: Kameel Jackson is transferring to Louisiana Monroe, where his brother plays and who we play next year. And Justin Brown changed his number from 18 to 19. LaColtan Bester went from 86 to 18, Joe Powell went from 19 to 8, and John-Phillip Hughes changes from 83 to 52.

cccasooner2
8/11/2012, 10:48 AM
Saturday 8/11 pre-scrimmage huddle.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s720x720/208261_10151008516532005_1957339827_n.jpg

VA Sooner
8/11/2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the update on Thursday's scrimmage/practice. Good news all around.

No injuries.

SoonerofAlabama
8/11/2012, 04:14 PM
I've heard that Bell tossed a 55-yard touchdown to Bester in the scrimmage after a lengthy time scrambling. Take that for what you will, though.

SoonerofAlabama
8/11/2012, 06:18 PM
Also something of note, Trey Millard and Doninique Whaley didn't participate in the scrimmage, no injuries, just to keep them fresh.

marfacowboy
8/11/2012, 06:43 PM

Comforting. I think this unit is at the top of my concern list - Wort's durability, Byrd's foot speed, and heretofore depth. Shannon and Franklin growing into contributing players will be huge.

BOOMER

Top of my list, too. I just don't think they're big enough or fast enough to compete with LSU, Bama and USC.

cccasooner2
8/11/2012, 07:03 PM
Top of my list, too. I just don't think they're big enough or fast enough to compete with LSU, Bama and USC.

I know what you mean. USC had the same problem in 2004.

marfacowboy
8/11/2012, 07:11 PM
I know what you mean. USC had the same problem in 2004.

Yeah, they weren't "great" at linebacker, but loaded everywhere else. Grootegoed was similar to Wort. The undersized, emotional leader who was a hell of a college football player. Didn't have a chance in the NFL. That team also had Shaun Cody and Frostee Rucker on the DL, which took some pressure off the linebackers.
I like our guys, I'm just looking at what Bama is putting on the field and wondering....

lasooner123
8/11/2012, 07:15 PM
by franklin are we talking aaron or dan...aaron i assume

cccasooner2
8/11/2012, 09:09 PM
I've heard that Bell tossed a 55-yard touchdown to Bester in the scrimmage after a lengthy time scrambling. Take that for what you will, though.

She's not impressed.

http://img2.ranker.com/list_img/2522/570430/full/the-very-best-of-the-mckayla-is-not-impressed-meme.jpg?version=1344545458000

SoonerofAlabama
8/11/2012, 09:16 PM
^ :D