PDA

View Full Version : The War

StoopTroup
8/9/2012, 02:31 AM
Have been DVRing this Series Tom Hanks was a part of in 2007. Really well done.

PBS has been re-airing it. Patton, McArthur, Eisenhower to Japanese-American Soldiers with Parents in inturnment camps and Crow Indians who would one day return Home to become one of the last Modern Day War Chiefs and all the folks here at Home who worked and sacrificed to put a stop to Nazi Plans that even divided America up into sectors should they be successful in driving us out of Europe and invading us...

What awful times that led to such greatness. The Love Letters and Letters to Home that were written but never sent to keep from upsetting their Wives and Families. The stories of pilots who could only put out fires in their aircraft by diving straight towards the Earth in actions that would keep them from burning to death but would surely be the death of them because they never had the altitude to pull out of the dive.

Just amazing heart wrenching stories of tragedy, loyalty, patriotism, great Leaders, terrible leaders, Heroes, love lost, Love Enduring...

This and the many other movies like it wil hopefully be archived and serve to teach History to help avoid mistakes or inspire Americans should another Hitler or Emperor try to mess with my children or my children's children.

God Bless all those who were involved in WWII and the times before and after that awful conflict.

StoopTroup
8/9/2012, 03:00 AM
In the "FUBAR" part of the Movie they discuss the Lost Battalion - The 442 led by General Clayton Dahlquist of Texas. A very hard and difficult part of this movie. It has been documented by survivors and is full of bad decisions but of valor and heroism. The toughness of the guys surrounded by Germans and the ensuing soldiers that never gave up to get supplies to them and get them out of harms way should be taught as a learning teachable moment.

StoopTroup
8/9/2012, 10:32 AM
Watched the episode "A World without War".

Things we should never forget, things we should relish forever and things that changed the World forever that should never be repeated....however it is indeed unfortunate that there will continue to be people in the World that won't believe what happened. They have and will be responsible for testing us again to see if we will put a quick end to it. The last 10 years they have seen we are not going to put up with threats or live in terror of people who would hurt peaceful people around the World.

God Bless all who fought and continue to fight for Freedom.

8timechamps
8/9/2012, 05:21 PM
Wasn't Tom Hanks also a part of the HBO series "The Pacific"? Either way, both were phenomenal series.

SoonerProphet
8/9/2012, 05:34 PM
Wasn't Tom Hanks also a part of the HBO series "The Pacific"? Either way, both were phenomenal series.

yes, he was a producer i think but didnt direct any ep. with the old breed is must reading for the pacific war.

ouwasp
8/9/2012, 10:49 PM
I really appreciated how they incorporated Pacific War Diary by James Fahey into The War. Way back in the early 70s I went with my mom to night classes sometimes. I'd stay in the library while she went to class. Fahey's book was a perfect way for me to spend some of those hrs. Yrs later while I was in college I read it again. Ran across a copy a few yrs ago at a flea market, read it again...

So pleased to see it in The War.

hawaii 5-0
8/10/2012, 11:28 AM
Excellent series. Glad I watched it.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
8/12/2012, 01:20 AM
The young civilian girl caught up in the occupation on the Phillipines, Sasha Weinzheimer, rented my wife's condo at Punaluu in the 90's. My wife said Sasha only had 2 dresses and 2 pair of shoes. Said that was all she needed.

5-0