PDA

View Full Version : Defense Simplification

cccasooner2
8/8/2012, 05:14 PM
I am sick and tired of seeing the buzz words for the OU defense “Mike will improve the defense by simplifying it”. It does have a nice ring to it, but, IMHO, that is all bullsh*t. If any improvement in the defense is obtained, it will be the result of greater depth at each division of the defense that is prepared to come in when called upon and operate effectively with little drop-off from the starting unit. There may be some scheme improvements and personnel arrangements to counteract specific opponents, but to say that it will be automatic because of some imagined simplification is an insult to any human. I was reminded of this by remembering the inane comment by one of the talking heads calling the 2010 FSU-OU game. He said that Mark would have a better defense once he recruited athletes consistent with his zone scheme (as if Mark is supposed to suddenly recruit dumb cripples with no athletic abilities at all). I guess Mark started all true freshmen in 2011 because they certainly were better.

I must admit I hate buzz words. When you have worked in the corporate world you see another one every month, learn how shallow each one is, vomit the old one out, try to digest the new one, vomit it out and repeat the same process over and over. *That's not to say one cannot have fun lampooning the idiots that take the buzzword seriously. * :)

pphilfran
8/8/2012, 05:24 PM
It doesn't matter how simple...if the d backs continue to bite on the out then they will continue to give up yards...

picasso
8/8/2012, 05:53 PM
I vote we put in a free safety that does not let anyone behind him. That's the ticket.

cccasooner2
8/8/2012, 06:02 PM
I vote we put in a free safety that does not let anyone behind him. That's the ticket.

But he must also tackle a ball carrier short of the 1st down marker at least 1/2 the distance between the LOS and said marker.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/8/2012, 06:10 PM
But he must also tackle a ball carrier short of the 1st down marker at least 1/2 the distance between the LOS and said marker.

No no... I'm sorry, you are both wrong. First we must sack the QB before he throws. That's the ticket!

soonerboy_odanorth
8/8/2012, 06:11 PM
No no... I'm sorry, you are both wrong. First we must sack the QB before he throws. That's the ticket!

No wait. I take it back. I'm wrong. First we must have a linebacker stuff the running back behind the line of scrimmage. That's the ticket!

cccasooner2
8/8/2012, 06:25 PM
No wait. I take it back. I'm wrong. First we must have a linebacker stuff the running back behind the line of scrimmage. That's the ticket!

No, wait, it's now too complicated. Fire Mike!!!

85sooners
8/8/2012, 06:41 PM
Fire!!!!!!

BoulderSooner79
8/8/2012, 06:46 PM
I'd suggest a nap if you're sick and tired. Might have to see a doc if it doesn't improve.

cccasooner2
8/8/2012, 06:54 PM
I'd suggest a nap if you're sick and tired. Might have to see a doc if it doesn't improve.

I guess you're right. I was considering asprin instead but that seems too complicated and require the doc's approval considering the other meds I'm on.

JLEW1818
8/8/2012, 07:07 PM
FIRE VENABLES

OUTrumpet
8/8/2012, 07:17 PM
And sometimes a simplified defense is easier for the opposing offense to pick apart. Easier to read what they're doing on tape, easier to gameplan around it, easier for the opposing offense to notice patterns while playing, and so on.

As many times as Venebles had a bad game plan he had a great one in another performance. 08 Texas Tech comes to mind. Heck 08 Okie State where I believe it was Holgerson came out and said they're doing stuff we've never seen before.

Not sayin to over-react or anything, just stirring the pot a bit :)

cccasooner2
8/8/2012, 07:31 PM
........ Heck 08 Okie State where I believe it was Holgerson came out and said they're doing stuff we've never seen before.

Not sayin to over-react or anything, just stirring the pot a bit :)

Heck, just can't seem to get rid of that @#!&ard.

8timechamps
8/8/2012, 07:42 PM
But in reality, it is going to be simplified.

If you go back and look at any game film from last year, you'll see the chess match that seemed to occur before every snap (on defense). Travis Lewis checked the sidelines for last minute audibles, then tried to call out adjustments to the defense. Not just the linebackers or secondary, the entire defense. That's not a common practice.

I recently read an article about how well Travis Lewis is adjusting to the Lions defense, and he makes a comment about Detroit's defensive scheme being less complicated than the one he ran at OU.

The biggest problem with the way BV ran the defense is that some of our defensive players couldn't make the adjustments without thinking about it. On defense, you think...you get beat. I've heard several defensive players already say they are free to react more and think less under this scheme.

As much as I hate the buzzwords too (and the media gets a hold of it and beats it to death), I think there is a considerable amount of truth to the defense being simplified.

cccasooner2
8/8/2012, 08:17 PM
But in reality, it is going to be simplified.

If you go back and look at any game film from last year, you'll see the chess match that seemed to occur before every snap (on defense). Travis Lewis checked the sidelines for last minute audibles, then tried to call out adjustments to the defense. Not just the linebackers or secondary, the entire defense. That's not a common practice.

Then I think we all owe an apology to Javon, Tom, Corey, Travis, Gabe, and Sam. :D

Pricetag
8/8/2012, 10:44 PM
The defense just needs swagger.

8timechamps
8/8/2012, 10:56 PM
Then I think we all owe an apology to Javon, Tom, Corey, Travis, Gabe, and Sam. :D

Smartass! ;)

You know in your heart I'm right, because I'm always right. Even when I'm wrong, I'm right.

BoulderSooner79
8/9/2012, 12:50 AM
The defense just needs swagger.

Too complicated.

8timechamps
8/9/2012, 04:51 PM
Too complicated.

The defense just needs swag?