PDA

View Full Version : Justin Brown, Here at Last

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2012, 11:10 AM
They don't have him in pads yet because of an NCAA rule. So he'll be in the QB jersey for two days. But he's at practice today. Something to be happy about. :D

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff472/SoonerofAlabama/551236_10151000289722005_921249084_n.jpg

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2012, 11:15 AM
Also noticed that he has Kameel Jackson's old number.

BigJerm7
8/7/2012, 11:27 AM
now people won't be able to cry about only having one WR with any D1 catches?

NTXSooner13
8/7/2012, 12:15 PM
They don't have him in pads yet because of an NCAA rule. So he'll be in the QB jersey for two days. But he's at practice today. Something to be happy about. :D

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff472/SoonerofAlabama/551236_10151000289722005_921249084_n.jpg

What rule is that?

BoomerJ
8/7/2012, 12:15 PM
He looks quite a bit bigger than Gary Simon.

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2012, 12:26 PM
What rule is that?

Apparently transfers or newcomers have to practice without pads for two days before they can get full pads. That's one of the reasons why the first two days of practice are padless, just helmets and jerseys.

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2012, 12:30 PM
No surprise, but Stoops said he'll be "absolutely returning punts" this year.

NTXSooner13
8/7/2012, 12:41 PM
Apparently transfers or newcomers have to practice without pads for two days before they can get full pads. That's one of the reasons why the first two days of practice are padless, just helmets and jerseys.

Thanks. I did not know that.

85sooners
8/7/2012, 12:56 PM
Just catch the ball

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2012, 01:35 PM
And his first interview as a Sooner is up:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4019870492860

cccasooner2
8/7/2012, 01:53 PM
Also in the WRs Work to Break Free vid. Sterling and Trey M. bring serious physicality in getting free. Watch that video and enjoy. http://www.soonersports.com/allaccess/index.html?media=324551

Finch worked with the WRs.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/7/2012, 02:23 PM

At first blush I think "what an asinine rule"...I can't think of a reason for this at the beginning of the season. I can understand for a newcomer coming into a system after first practices...

sooneron
8/7/2012, 02:41 PM
Bitter much?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=157&f=1395&t=9202240

cccasooner2
8/7/2012, 03:20 PM
At first blush I think "what an asinine rule"...I can't think of a reason for this at the beginning of the season. I can understand for a newcomer coming into a system after first practices...

Duly noted. Next!

cccasooner2
8/7/2012, 03:32 PM
Bitter much?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=157&f=1395&t=9202240

TouchdownSC3 : "This may be my emotions talking and probably too harsh, but if you want to leave you should leave. If you want to play football somewhere else, get a degree from there too. This whole thing is *** backwards. I for one would be ashamed to have a PSU degree if I knew I left the school high and dry in their greatest moment of need. How can they still get the diploma. If youre gone, youre gone. All or nothing.

I dont get how a kid can go from being the #1 receiver and among a group of the greatest heros at PSU to the #3 or 4 guy at OK whom know one will remember in 6 months... Or for any of these guys for that matter.

I just don't get it.

Do what you have to do. I just don't get it. I'll be glad to have a group of true PSU players when the season starts. 10-2 or 5-7, i'll be proud if this 2012 squad."

Thank you TD, you obviously do not no what it takes to get a degree.

BigJerm7
8/7/2012, 03:40 PM
they had him at #5 by the end of the thread, but still #1 at PS. One reasonable poster said he would start from day 1. They act like he's changing sports or something.

JLEW1818
8/7/2012, 03:48 PM
The number 4 WR probably has as many receiving yards as the Penn St #1, on most years.

cccasooner2
8/7/2012, 04:30 PM
Just look at the footwork drill in today's set of videos and you will see that he was wasting his time from a FB standpoint at PSU. Definitely an upgrade from Kameel Jackson.

8timechamps
8/7/2012, 05:16 PM
What rule is that?

All NCAA players MUST participate in two full non-contact practices before moving to contact (padded) practice. Brown missed the first couple of days, so he had to catch up.

8timechamps
8/7/2012, 05:18 PM

It's been that way for a while (also very common in high school and most youth programs). The only thing reason I've ever been able to come up with is that it's meant to ease the players back in, but even that doesn't make too much sense.

BoulderSooner79
8/7/2012, 05:30 PM
I'm just glad the coaches are aware of the non-contact practice rule. It would be easy to forget with the rest of the team already past that point.

swardboy
8/7/2012, 07:16 PM
I realize it's the time to say nice things, but didn't Stoops seem more exuberant than usual when introducing Justin? I'm thinking "immediate impact" for sure.

8timechamps
8/7/2012, 07:21 PM
I realize it's the time to say nice things, but didn't Stoops seem more exuberant than usual when introducing Justin? I'm thinking "immediate impact" for sure.

That's as excited as I've seen Stoops address the media in a long time. I figured part of it had to do with Brown standing right next to him, but I also think part of it has to do with the relief Stoops probably feels now that we will have a couple of veterans at WR.

cccasooner2
8/7/2012, 07:35 PM
That's as excited as I've seen Stoops address the media in a long time. I figured part of it had to do with Brown standing right next to him, but I also think part of it has to do with the relief Stoops probably feels now that we will have a couple of veterans at WR.

The comments also came after he saw Brown work out with the rest of the receivers. Justin definitely is a stud, and was wasting his football skils at PSU.

hornswaggled
8/7/2012, 08:13 PM
His apparent modesty and self control make him a star in my opinion. I hope he has a stellar year as a receiver and continues to attain his goals.

Smart coaching to keep him indoors during most of his visit.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/7/2012, 08:58 PM
psst. raise your hand if you secretly wish "Justin Brown" was the name of a 6-5 320 lb. former All-Big10 masher of an interior O-lineman that transferred here from PSU. Heh!

picasso
8/7/2012, 09:36 PM
The article in The Oklahoman this week about how this kid responded to hate filled tweets says a lot about his character. I was quite impressed.

Soonerjeepman
8/7/2012, 11:20 PM

I remember my son playing 4th/5th grade fball...they had to have x amount of hours "conditioning" no pads...so if a kid stated later he couldn't have pads until he reached those hours...

VA Sooner
8/9/2012, 04:11 AM
Can't wait to see the kid in action... and I do think that Stoops was pretty impressed with him after only the first few days.

Some good news for the team finally.

marfacowboy
8/17/2012, 08:14 AM
Sorry I missed this thread. This is such huge news for us, as it essentially negates the loss of Reynolds. Looks like we pick up an equally gifted athlete that's more mature. He seems to be doing very well in practice.

BigJerm7
8/27/2012, 04:16 PM
Do all the Penn State experts know that he is starting? Afterall, they had him at #7 WR at best at OU.

BoulderSooner79
8/27/2012, 04:21 PM
Do all the Penn State experts know that he is starting? Afterall, they had him at #7 WR at best at OU.

Hmm. That'll those PSU know-it-alls that we were much thinner at WR than they thought! :smiley_simmons:

Really, they knew he was solid and their predictions of his failure was just sour grapes for his leaving.

SoonerInLubbock
8/27/2012, 05:36 PM
Wow PSU fans are delusional. Hello one of your coaches was diddling little boys!!!! Why would anyone want to stay aroung a program that would allow that? Tarnished....tarnished I say! That's exactly what I would be saying if god-forbid OU was wrapped up in a scandle of the same caliber. PSU fans are like Germans, "let's just pretend like it didn't happen".

MamaMia
8/27/2012, 06:37 PM
Bitter much?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=157&f=1395&t=9202240Their fans anger is misplaced. Justin made the decision he felt was right for him. He thought about this long and hard. There was no prompting from our side. He contacted OU. Unlike a lot of other coaches who went to Penn State like vultures, our coach has class and stayed away. They should respect Justins decision, be grateful for the time they had him and wish him well.

I hope Brown has an injury free, award winning, national championship season. Penn State isn't even ranked in the top 25 this season.

MamaMia
8/27/2012, 08:17 PM
Ya know...when you break the rules its hard on the players that didn't have a hand in it, and lets face it, its not easy on the fan base or anyone involved with the university. The athletes as a whole have to take the hit, but its not like this is something new, or any big secret.

Many, many teams have gotten bit by the sanction bug, including us. Its no fun, but when it happens, how can a fan base fault these young men for leaving to go to another program when they so desperately need that positive exposure? That type of stance is beyond selfish and so horribly sanctimonious. Its not bad enough what they allowed to happen, what they covered up by turning a blind eye, but now the fans have to attack innocent players for leaving that mess? I wouldn't expect anything else out of Penn State.

BoulderSooner79
8/27/2012, 10:39 PM
I know this is just an icky detail and not the big picture - but if I were a PSU player I wouldn't want to use the shower in the locker room (blech). I hope they ripped them out and put in new ones.

AZSOONER
8/28/2012, 02:51 PM
The article in The Oklahoman this week about how this kid responded to hate filled tweets says a lot about his character. I was quite impressed.

Ditto