PDA

View Full Version : Positive News: Whaley "Better Than Ever"

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2012, 10:13 AM
ESPN Article (http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/8241936/dominique-whaley-oklahoma-sooners-back-injury-better-ever)

From Jake Trotter:

NORMAN, Okla. -- Apparently, nothing can stop Dominique Whaley.

Not the prospect of starting his college career as an NAIA benchwarmer. Nor the task of winning the starting running back job at Oklahoma as a walk-on while serving five-dollar foot longs on the side. Not even a broken ankle that had to be pinned back together.

Perhaps the greatest walk-on success story in OU history is back. Ask Whaley, and not only is he the same player he was -- he's "better" than ever.

"I'm a lot stronger, my frame has gotten a lot bigger, I've put on even more weight," he said. "I feel like all that is helping me become a lot better. "Oh yeah, I've been hungry for it. I'm waiting."

The wait is almost over. In 2011, Whaley was the story of college football through September. A former backup at Langston College, who walked on to OU because his girlfriend attended school there, Whaley beat out a bevy of blue-chippers to become the Sooners' starting tailback. He debuted with four touchdowns against Tulsa, and never slowed down. He ran for 71 tough yards in a win at fifth-ranked Florida State. Then dashed for a 64-yard score to cap a rout of the Longhorns.

But on the first play from scrimmage at Kansas State, Whaley had to be carted off the field after suffering a fractured ankle. A devastating injury for any athlete. But especially a running back.

"A lot of blanked-out words were going through my head there," Whaley said. "Like 'Oh, crap -- why now?'" For Whaley, that pity party lasted about a day.

"There wasn't any doubt I'd be back," said Whaley, who was put on scholarship after the season, which allowed him to quit his job at Subway. "You have to stay motivated. And I obviously had that drive. Otherwise I wouldn't push so hard to play here. I just used that to motivate me to overcome this injury."

According to trainers, Whaley pushed so hard he has been ahead of his rehab schedule every step of the way. In many cases, they've had to force Whaley to take it easy. Otherwise he would've been in pads months ago.

"If it was up to me -- and luckily we have a training staff that's educated and have degrees -- but if it was up to me, I would've been out there in the spring game," Whaley said. "I've felt 100 percent and been ready to go a long time ago."

For months, Bob Stoops has been cautious in talking about Whaley's return. But this week, even Stoops and running backs coach Cale Gundy struggled to contain their optimism.

"You know, I went into their meeting room (Sunday) after watching their practice with the defense, it struck me just watching him, the inside drill and things he was in, he looked good, which was really encouraging," Stoops said. "I walked into his meeting and I said, 'Cale, Dom looked good for the first day in pads.' He thought the same thing."

So does quarterback Landry Jones. "He looks awful good," Jones said. "Fast, just like the regular Dom we're used to seeing. He's good to go."

Best of luck to those who try and do what a broken ankle couldn't. "I've been so hungry since the injury," he said. "Counting down the days, waiting for it. I'm ready."

All_Day_28
8/7/2012, 10:26 AM
Good for Dom.. I'm rooting for him, what a great story he is..

Landthief 1972
8/7/2012, 10:37 AM
Damn shame there's not going to be an O-line left to block for him by the time the season opens. :ambivalence:

King Crimson
8/7/2012, 10:38 AM
you get'em Dom.

stay healthy, easy easy. we're tough with a guy who can give us a 3rd and 3 threat to set up play action.

olevetonahill
8/7/2012, 10:38 AM
From all indications hes a Fine young man who will go far in life

PrideMom
8/7/2012, 10:39 AM
Finally! Good News!!!!

KantoSooner
8/7/2012, 10:46 AM
About right.

Daylight and a big stretch of green in front you, Mr. Whaley.

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2012, 10:54 AM
Day 5 of Practice: Full Pads for Everyone. Here's Whaley.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff472/SoonerofAlabama/404071_10151000226532005_2039879054_n.jpg

Link to More Photos (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151000224117005.414467.99307042004&type=1)

SoonerLB
8/7/2012, 11:35 AM
Glad he's back and healthy, hope we can keep a healthy O-line in front of him and he scores TD's at a record rate! :)

thecrimsoncrusader
8/7/2012, 11:57 AM
He isn't showing much speed in that picture. It's almost as if he is not even moving.

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2012, 12:02 PM
He isn't showing much speed in that picture. It's almost as if he is not even moving.

If you want moving pictures, the best I can do is some practice vids from yesterday. :D

http://www.soonersports.com/allaccess/?media=324328

VA Sooner
8/9/2012, 04:13 AM
Yep, some good news for Whaley and the team. Need another RB and we'll be set there.

Got some time for the new o-line to get it together and see how the young ones do...

MamaMia
8/9/2012, 06:43 AM
I would have settled for 'Back to Normal' but "Better than Ever" ...Now that makes me very happy! http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/banana.gif

SoonerofAlabama
8/9/2012, 09:56 AM
I would have settled for 'Back to Normal' but "Better than Ever" ...Now that makes me very happy! http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/banana.gif

:D

BoulderSooner79
8/9/2012, 02:37 PM
"Better than ever" sounds like optimistic preseason speak. But the fact Whaley is cleared for full contact and still has over 1.5 months to train before we'll really need him is great news.

BigTip
8/9/2012, 05:48 PM

this thread is worthless without.........video?

Your post made me laugh.

Jacie
8/9/2012, 10:24 PM
Does this mean we won't see anymore of the Bell Dozer?

StoopTroup
8/9/2012, 10:55 PM

That damn conditioning Coach has probably ruined him.

SoonerofAlabama
8/9/2012, 11:04 PM
this thread is worthless without.........video?

Your post made me laugh.

If soonersports would post to YouTube, if I could do something other than that I can post a link. Also, that post was funny. :)

CatfishSooner
8/10/2012, 09:59 AM
Why is nobody talking about Finch???

SoonerofAlabama
8/10/2012, 10:03 AM

Cause he isn't coming off an injury like Whaley is, the only thing I've heard about Finch is that he is going to play slot this year.

85sooners
8/10/2012, 10:07 AM
Finch will get his fair share

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2012, 11:21 AM

Because that's the first rule of Finch-club.

hawaii 5-0
8/10/2012, 11:32 AM
I like the "hungry" Whaley.

Like he wasn't last season.

That kid is chock full of desire.

5-0