PDA

View Full Version : Jake Trotter posted on twitter

PalmettoSooner
8/6/2012, 04:32 PM
that OG John Michael McGee has quit

Jake Trotter‏@Jake_Trotter

Looks like OG John Michael McGee just quit RT @UnappreciatedJM: Goodluck to OU on the field I'll be watching. It's just not for me.

https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter

Does anybody know about this?

cccasooner2
8/6/2012, 04:41 PM
@UnappreciatedJM says it all, from a true Fr. no less. :(

PalmettoSooner
8/6/2012, 04:43 PM
@UnappreciatedJM says it all, from a true Fr. no less. :(

I looked at his page and is it just me or does he seem bitter about something?

badger
8/6/2012, 04:49 PM
I think some athletes go into college with the expectation that their hard word has paid off and now it will be easier, now that they have gotten their college scholarship. Don't laugh - some of you ex-college students probably thought the same thing after you graduated from high school with scholarships of some sort. It probably went something like this: "All of those tiring extra curricular activities, drive to get 4.7 GPAs and volunteer work are done and now it's time to have fun in college." The same thing can EASILY apply to a student-athlete, not just a student, especially one as widely recruited as him. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/flavarsity/football/recruiting/player-John%20Michael-McGee-104801)

Don't write him off yet, though. He may have a sudden change of heart and come back. If not this season, perhaps next.

SoonerofAlabama
8/6/2012, 04:50 PM
One semester at TC and then transferring somewhere

Ok...

PalmettoSooner
8/6/2012, 04:54 PM
On Monday, Stoops said incoming freshman John Michael McGee was given the day off from practice because he was feeling homesick and needed to decide whether he wanted to play.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8240674/oklahoma-sooners-guard-tyler-evans-faces-mri-knee-injury

goingoneight
8/6/2012, 08:31 PM
It sucks for depth, but it could be worse. The Tyler Evsns injury... now, THAT sucks.

BigJerm7
8/7/2012, 06:16 AM
When he goes to "TC", he'll be known as the guy that left the #4 team in the country to go home to his momma.

SoonerInLubbock
8/7/2012, 09:23 AM
On Monday, Stoops said incoming freshman John Michael McGee was given the day off from practice because he was feeling homesick and needed to decide whether he wanted to play.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8240674/oklahoma-sooners-guard-tyler-evans-faces-mri-knee-injury

"Homesick"? Really? Awwww poor lil guy. You miss your momma? Somebody need to hold your little hand? You miss your fat little girlfriend?

SUCK IT UP SON!!!!! Are you kidding me? There's no crying in OU football. You knew what you were getting into. Anyone who moves away from home feels 'homesick" from time to time. But we suck it up, we move on, we make something of ourselves. At OU when we walk it makes a clanking noise, not a sobbing noise! This is just sad and unbecoming of what I feel a Sooner should be. Or am I being to rough on the poor little guy?

badger
8/7/2012, 09:25 AM
Or am I being to rough on the poor little guy?

You are, but I'm a mommy now so I am probably wired differently than your male football fan type.

College athletes drop out all of the time for many reasons. As Stoops likes to say, he is concerned only about players in practice. So, I recommend we let this guy go home and concern ourselves with the team we have left.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/7/2012, 09:28 AM
Never trust a football player with two first names unless it's a "Joe Jon".

SoonerInLubbock
8/7/2012, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=badger;3494895]You are, but I'm a mommy now so I am probably wired differently than your male football fan type.

You may be wired differently, that's understandable. I'm a daddy who plays the mother and father role. I would tell my son the same thing. Suck it up. Take every oppurtunity this life gives you. An education at OU is the kind of oppurtunity you DON'T turn your back on. I would say the same thing if my boy wanted to be an Aggie or a Red Raider. As much as that would pain me.

Mississippi Sooner
8/7/2012, 09:40 AM
I remember when Marcus Dupree got a little homesick...

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2012, 09:43 AM
He's only been on campus a few days and home sick...definitely a mental toughness issue that could be a weakness on the field also.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/7/2012, 09:35 PM
He's only been on campus a few days and home sick...definitely a mental toughness issue that could be a weakness on the field also.

Couldn't agree more.

badg, I'm calling you out on that "I'm a mommy now" bs. Yeah... you're a mommy... OF AN ACTUAL BABY. This cat ain't no baby.

Let me put it to you this way: Are you intending to raise a needy child with entitlement issues that you have to tuck in bed every night when they're in their 20's? Or do you intend to raise your child to be secure in their independence?

I'm a loving, affectionate dad, but I expect my little birds to fly. And they are starting to, which lifts the whole family.

This kid is a dead weight. Good riddance. I hope his mom has the good sense to say, "OK, if that's your decision to give up the free education it is time for you to be a man and get a job and get a place to live."

But who knows, maybe mommy is the problem and is going to have him plop his butt on the couch and turn on his favorite cartoon while she peels him a stack of Hostess Ho-Ho's.

AlboSooner
8/7/2012, 10:03 PM

I think it's a girlfriend deal. The SEC recruits the girlfriends too, because dudes will chase that skirt anywhere. He probably has a GF still in high school and didn't want to lose her.

jk the sooner fan
8/7/2012, 10:15 PM
girlfriend thing? thats a horrible excuse considering Texarkana is 3 hours away - and with smart phones, laptops, tablets and skpe - nobody is ever really far away! :)

Fraggle145
8/21/2012, 01:13 PM
John Michael McGee talks OU departure By Bob Przybylo

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post?id=12352

For years, offensive guard John Michael McGee was told the same thing over and over. McGee, who grew up a huge basketball fan, never really liked football. But coaches told him repeatedly, “you’ll like it eventually.”

McGee hoped it might happen at the high school level, but it never materialized. And after his first summer camp and couple of days of fall camp at Oklahoma, McGee realized it simply wasn’t going to come.

Instead of wasting any more of his time or the school’s time, McGee, a 2012 Sooners signee who graduated from Texarkana Texas High, elected to leave the Sooners on Aug. 6 and has enrolled at Texas A&M University-Texarkana.

“The last couple of weeks have actually been pretty good,” McGee said. “I know everybody has their opinion about my decision, but they’re not living my life. I have to do what’s best for me.”

McGee said the most backlash came from people on Twitter, but he also had a lot of support from the OU program and his family.

He said it wasn’t anything that OU did or didn’t do. It wasn’t a case of being homesick. He simply has never had the passion for football and only played it because he was good at it.

“I was going through summer workouts and thinking I can do this,” McGee said. “But you need to have passion.

“When I played in high school, I played to please the people around me. It was tougher to tell my mom than to tell the coaches that I didn’t want to play anymore.”

McGee was a four-star prospect ranked No. 12 at offensive guard. After committing to OU in June 2011, he was among the most vocal supporters of the Sooners on Twitter. He became popular with OU fans and fellow signees because of his outgoing personality.

McGee was recruited by offensive guards coach James Patton and the first person McGee told about his decision was Patton.

“He said I was doing well and understood that it could be overwhelming. He wanted me to give it another chance,” McGee said.

Quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel reiterated Patton’s words, but McGee had already realized football wasn’t the sport for him.

McGee said he is unsure about his future plans. He is going to finish this semester at A&M-Texarkana before deciding what he is going to do next. He said he thought about leaving the team but staying in school at OU but ultimately decided going back home was the best option.

He said he has been approached about playing football again but has also had some interest from some smaller basketball programs.

“Right now I don’t know what I’m going to do,” McGee said. “I’m really focused on school. I can go to school without sports. I haven’t figured everything out yet.”

One thing he does know, though, is he has no regrets.

“If I do watch a game this season, there won’t be a feeling of regret,” McGee said. “Good luck to the Sooners. I know a lot of those guys so I’ll be cheering them on. People like Durron [Neal] and Sterling [Shepard], I’m still talking to them. I know they’re going to do big things.”

Sounds like he just wasnt into it.

KantoSooner
8/21/2012, 02:32 PM
I can buy into this explanation far more than 'homesickness'. Wish him well.

Widescreen
8/21/2012, 02:44 PM
It's unfortunate that he didn't come to this realization prior to taking a scholarship. We could've recruited someone else in February. Oh well.

Seamus
8/21/2012, 02:49 PM
I understand how he feels. I hope he finds happiness.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/21/2012, 02:52 PM
It's unfortunate that he didn't come to this realization prior to taking a scholarship. We could've recruited someone else in February. Oh well.

Yeah...Trips to his home...costs of visits..wasted scholly..It's stupid.

85sooners
8/21/2012, 02:58 PM
He knew he didn't want to play the whole time

BoulderSooner79
8/21/2012, 03:40 PM
I can relate. I'm in a profession I happened to be good at in school and probably wasn't my best choice long term as far as passion goes.

LRoss
8/21/2012, 05:44 PM
Disappointing for the team.

Best of luck to the young man.