PDA

View Full Version : justin brown

mojorisen2014
8/2/2012, 02:09 PM
I thought i heard john rhode say that he is tranferring to ou. 35 rec for 517yds. Pretty good for a run oriented offense

mojorisen2014
8/2/2012, 02:09 PM
From penn state. My bad

SoonerofAlabama
8/2/2012, 02:16 PM
I've heard Illinois, Cincinatti, and OU are interested in him.

85sooners
8/2/2012, 02:24 PM
Mmmmmm

stoops the eternal pimp
8/2/2012, 02:41 PM
Courtney Gardner type build..

cccasooner2
8/2/2012, 03:48 PM
I hear he drops one every now and then. Does this meet SoonerFans criteria? Seriously. :tickled_pink:

setem
8/2/2012, 04:00 PM
I think is more than likely he will be in the Crimson and Cream. I have a pretty good friend in the media who says it looks real damn good!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/2/2012, 04:03 PM
Liar..you aint got no friends.

Scott D
8/2/2012, 04:04 PM
certain people on espn were claiming he was xferring to ou.

85sooners
8/2/2012, 05:47 PM
Can he handle the heat in Norman?

8timechamps
8/2/2012, 06:03 PM
Can he handle the heat in Norman?

It'll be like coming to the North Pole after the heat he's experienced in Happy Valley.

SoonerofAlabama
8/2/2012, 06:07 PM
bp6fKk_4wRo

0nFAuqRc7Ug

bU1s_bnEbJU

Salt City Sooner
8/2/2012, 06:35 PM
Kersey's saying that PSU's giving him until Monday to decide.

PLaw
8/2/2012, 07:53 PM
Kersey's saying that PSU's giving him until Monday to decide.

What's going to take him that long? He needs to be on the first available flight into Will Rogers.

Boomer

Fraggle145
8/3/2012, 09:37 AM
http://newsok.com/penn-states-leading-receiver-might-transfer-to-ou/article/3697756

Boomer.....
8/3/2012, 09:52 AM
Update from OU Insider:

According to Joe Shad (ESPN's National CFB Writer), PSU SR WR Justin Brown is meeting with PSU HC BOB today and has an OU offer. Interesting.
Source: Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe
PSU senior WR Justin Brown may meet w Bill O'Brien today. Has Oklahoma offer. May happen today.

badger
8/3/2012, 10:57 AM
Haha, an "OU offer." Since they don't need to give up any of their 85 to get him, there's not really giving up much.

Well, cept for a free education, I guess. Sooner parents footing Billy Bursar bills certainly think it's more than "much," heh

SoonerofAlabama
8/3/2012, 11:30 AM
Joe Schad also says he has an "Oklahoma lean"

AlboSooner
8/3/2012, 11:33 AM
Come on Justin. Join the Sooner nation.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/3/2012, 11:36 AM

Does that mean he is already hurt and out for the season?

zeptrey
8/3/2012, 11:37 AM

I have an Oklahoma Lean when the winds gusting 40-45 out in the western part of the State.

swardboy
8/3/2012, 02:42 PM
Come Justin, join the dark side of the force.......

​We can't leave college football to the Barry Switzers of the world.....

8timechamps
8/3/2012, 05:39 PM
We'll see how much credibility my super secret source has, but he says Brown will be a Sooner and in Norman by Tuesday.

OU_Sooners75
8/3/2012, 06:08 PM
Haha, an "OU offer." Since they don't need to give up any of their 85 to get him, there's not really giving up much.

Well, cept for a free education, I guess. Sooner parents footing Billy Bursar bills certainly think it's more than "much," heh

Ummm...ou won't be footing the bill penn state will be. Or at least that is my understanding of any and all transfers this year from penn state. And they won't count on this years scholarship numbers...but they will count against it in 2013.

BoulderSooner79
8/3/2012, 06:10 PM
This sure feels like a mercenary situation. Brown would come in as a senior and could be here 1 semester taking the minimum class load and then be gone after the (presumed) bowl game. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it - it's all within the rules. Just weird.

8timechamps
8/3/2012, 06:19 PM
This sure feels like a mercenary situation. Brown would come in as a senior and could be here 1 semester taking the minimum class load and then be gone after the (presumed) bowl game. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it - it's all within the rules. Just weird.

Yeah, that's pretty much what it is for any of the seniors transferring. At least everyone knows that going in.

OU_Sooners75
8/3/2012, 06:24 PM
Who cares if it is a mercenary job or not as long as its within the rules. Thing is, we need some depth that can come in and contribute right away.

OU_Sooners75
8/3/2012, 06:29 PM
Hell, ou needs to pouch some ol and dl while the picking is ripe.

BoulderSooner79
8/3/2012, 10:51 PM
Who cares if it is a mercenary job or not as long as its within the rules. Thing is, we need some depth that can come in and contribute right away.

Didn't say I cared - just it's weird. I would care if that was normal for most players because then I might as well watch pro ball. One of the special things about college ball is that the players feel like a part of the school for the rest of their lives. I doubt that would happen for a guy being on campus for 4 months. It's already that way for the elite schools in hoops where the players come in for 1 season and then jump to the NBA as freshman. And I've lost interest in college hoops; nothing wrong with it - it's just me.

SoonerofAlabama
8/4/2012, 02:02 PM
Well now they're saying he will announce on Sunday afternoon.

FaninAma
8/4/2012, 02:30 PM
I am hoping and fairly confident that the OU coaching staff have allowed the player to call the shots on this.
I cannot see them actively recruiting him the was that slimeball at USC did the Penn State RB.

setem
8/4/2012, 04:11 PM
I think playing at OU has slightly more benefits.

Penn State
Coach BOB supposedly has great connections in the NFL and can get him some great looks.
If the team actually does well, they will be labeled heroes by the fans.
BUT No bowl game and just a bad scene to be around really makes it tough.

OU
Coach Stoops has sent plenty of kids to the NFL and he will still get looks. If he is not good enough to play in the NFL it wont matter where is plays.
If he plays well here, he will be a hero when OU wins #8(not saying he will make or break out year but he surly will help)
He has a great QB to throw to him and could really put up good numbers.
BUT he doesn't know the players very well and I am sure he has developed some great relationships back home, that will be super tough to overcome.

I want this kid to be a sooner and I don't think we are doing anything wrong at all. Are we taking advantage of a bad situation? Yes of course we are but that is good for business -- when business is good at OU, I am happy!

8timechamps
8/4/2012, 07:54 PM
I am hoping and fairly confident that the OU coaching staff have allowed the player to call the shots on this.
I cannot see them actively recruiting him the was that slimeball at USC did the Penn State RB.

According to Brown's high school coach, we called him. It's not from Brown or OU, so take it for what it's worth.

I kinda felt the same as you when this first started, but then I remembered how brutal the world of college football recruiting is, and if we weren't aggressive, we probably wouldn't be in the position we are it.

Salt City Sooner
8/4/2012, 08:07 PM
Schad's tweeting that Brown has pulled the trigger on the transfer & will arrive Monday.

JLEW1818
8/4/2012, 08:16 PM
@schadjoe: Penn State Sr WR Justin Brown has told Oklahoma coaches he will transfer there. Plans to arrive Monday.

OUTrumpet
8/4/2012, 08:19 PM
ESPN is reporting it is a done deal and Brown is a Sooner.

8timechamps
8/4/2012, 08:50 PM
Looks like my super secret source was correct.

Brown to be a Sooner:

LINK TO STORY (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8234820/penn-state-nittany-lions-justin-brown-transfer-oklahoma-sooners-according-source)

SoonerofAlabama
8/4/2012, 08:52 PM
Kinda weird how all this keeps happening on the same day. Glad we got him though.

8timechamps
8/4/2012, 08:54 PM
Transfers from PSU so far:

Rob Bolden QB LSU
Justin Brown WR Oklahoma
Tim Buckley S NC State
Anthony Fera K/P Texas
Khairi Fortt LB California
Kevin Haplea TE Florida State
Ryan Nowicki OL Illinois
Jamil Pollard DT Rutgers
Silas Redd RB USC

Sabanball
8/4/2012, 10:57 PM
According to Brown's high school coach, we called him. It's not from Brown or OU, so take it for what it's worth.

I kinda felt the same as you when this first started, but then I remembered how brutal the world of college football recruiting is, and if we weren't aggressive, we probably wouldn't be in the position we are it.

A nice, opportunistic pickup by your staff, if you ask me. Isn't Kenny Stills your only returning receiver that's caught a pass and not on some kind of suspension, or am I mistaken? If so, this kid fills an obvious need in your O, plus he's got great size for the position. And he can return kicks too(ranked 36th last yr in the country in that category)

dennis580
8/4/2012, 10:58 PM
Awesome news. A huge pickup for us considering how very thin we are at WR. I dont think we can judge much from his stats since Penn St's passing absolutely stunk last year with only 10 passing TDs, and 12 Ints. Who knows how great he might be in the Sooners explosive offense.

picasso
8/4/2012, 11:34 PM
Just watch his video. He can play.

setem
8/5/2012, 02:13 AM
I think he will prove his worth in the 1st two games. I hear he has some drops but everybody does! On the PSU boards they say he can turn a ****ty pass into a good one. I can't imagine what he will do with Landry throwing his way. This was a great move for OUr boys and it is going to help in the long run!

The PSU boards make me sick! I am sure there would be a similar reaction if one of our seniors left but they are ****ting on the kid for doing what he felt was best. I wish we could play them so Brown could shove it right up their asses! Wait..Sandusky already did that!!!

AlboSooner
8/5/2012, 09:21 AM
His immediate impact will be in returning kicks. I don't see him being productive at receiver right away due to our scheme. I think he'll be ready by the Texas game.

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2012, 10:19 AM
will he drop more or fewer passes than Adron Tennell?

JLEW1818
8/5/2012, 10:54 AM
will he drop more or fewer passes than Adron Tennell?

LOL

Eielson
8/5/2012, 11:32 AM
WR is a strength on OU now.

SoonerMarkVA
8/5/2012, 12:08 PM
I actually like that he's already a senior. It means he can't mess around if he wants to make good use of his time here. I expect him to be especially focused, and hopefully (assuming he is) he can move in to lead by example from day 1. Seems like we have a few receivers who could benefit from such an example.

SoonerLB
8/5/2012, 12:59 PM
This is great! Can't hurt to have another good reciever added to the mix. Wake up Mr. Stills, there's someone here to take your job, LOL! ;)

JLEW1818
8/5/2012, 05:23 PM
A very unique situation

trwxxa
8/5/2012, 05:48 PM
So we bring in a kid who knows nothing about the system and he is only here for 1 season? Can he return kicks? I don't see him being much of a factor.

How has OU gotten this desperate for players?

Curly Bill
8/5/2012, 06:09 PM
So we bring in a kid who knows nothing about the system and he is only here for 1 season? Can he return kicks? I don't see him being much of a factor.

Returning only one guy at the position who's participated in a college game might be a factor.

sendbaht
8/5/2012, 06:12 PM
Welcome Son....look forward to watching you Justin Brown...

8timechamps
8/5/2012, 06:32 PM
A nice, opportunistic pickup by your staff, if you ask me. Isn't Kenny Stills your only returning receiver that's caught a pass and not on some kind of suspension, or am I mistaken? If so, this kid fills an obvious need in your O, plus he's got great size for the position. And he can return kicks too(ranked 36th last yr in the country in that category)

You are correct. That was a big part of the reason we pushed so hard in recruiting Courtney Gardner, and brought in Bester for the JuCo ranks. You can also throw the tight ends in that category. Other than a couple of running backs, Stills is the only player on the team that has caught an offensive pass in a D1 game. This was a very big pick up.

8timechamps
8/5/2012, 06:33 PM

He can return kicks, but he will also probably see plenty of playing time. There is no way he transfers to OU to only return kicks.

BoulderSooner79
8/5/2012, 06:44 PM

Because Gardner didn't make it and the other WRs don't have much more knowledge of the system either. At least not the ones that didn't get suspended. He at least has a lot of D1 experience and is physically mature. Normally, this would be a big risk for both OU and Brown, but the circumstances are not normal.

trwxxa
8/5/2012, 06:46 PM
Returning only one guy at the position who's participated in a college game might be a factor.

Still can't believe the staff let it get this bad.

8timechamps
8/5/2012, 06:52 PM

I think some of the fault goes to the staff, but you can't predict that some of the guys you recruit are going to leave the team or not preform. Every team has turnover at every position, so it's not a complete surprise. The part I put on the staff is that a team like Oklahoma should never be in a position to rely on only one player that has caught a pass in a D1 game.

trwxxa
8/5/2012, 06:52 PM
Because Gardner didn't make it and the other WRs don't have much more knowledge of the system either. At least not the ones that didn't get suspended. He at least has a lot of D1 experience and is physically mature. Normally, this would be a big risk for both OU and Brown, but the circumstances are not normal.I would like to think the other kids have had the summer to learn the playbook though I understand going to D1 is a big jump for most. I suspect the passing game will be simplified for at least first month.

JLEW1818
8/5/2012, 07:07 PM

what do you have to say for the whorn staff and their problems? **** happens

setem
8/5/2012, 07:56 PM

I don't think we were desperate at all. I think OUr coaches saw a chance to help our with depth and experience. He will be a factor, don't you worry your head none!

trwxxa
8/5/2012, 07:57 PM

I am missing the similarities. The only thing I am saying is there is no way OU should have been in a position to have 1 WR with D1 experience on the roster. Not 1 WR who was worth a darn, but 1 WR total.

swardboy
8/5/2012, 08:04 PM
Transfers from PSU so far:

Rob Bolden QB LSU
Justin Brown WR Oklahoma
Tim Buckley S NC State
Anthony Fera K/P Texas
Khairi Fortt LB California
Kevin Haplea TE Florida State
Ryan Nowicki OL Illinois
Jamil Pollard DT Rutgers
Silas Redd RB USC

I'm inclined to think this IS worse than the death penalty. Your team is just hemorraging before your eyes.

Curly Bill
8/5/2012, 08:23 PM

Using the whorn staff to justify what our's might have done? Dude, that's a loser defense. But admittedly, **** does happen.

JLEW1818
8/5/2012, 09:17 PM
You could use any team in America. Stuff like this happens to all programs. Most of this is bad luck. Bad luck happens every year to good teams.

MyT Oklahoma
8/5/2012, 10:43 PM
And all I have to say is welcome to Norman young man.

dennis580
8/5/2012, 10:48 PM

Easy we have 2 recievers who are supsended, and a third reciever kicked off the team. Which leaves us with only one reciever who has ever caught a pass at OU(Stills). When your that thin a experienced, talented reciever can really help.

dennis580
8/5/2012, 10:52 PM
I am missing the similarities. The only thing I am saying is there is no way OU should have been in a position to have 1 WR with D1 experience on the roster. Not 1 WR who was worth a darn, but 1 WR total.

The reason we are in that position is because THREE GUYS are either supsended or kicked off the team. There is a lot of universities who were be in the same position if they had THREE guys who were either supsended or kickoffed the team.

picasso
8/5/2012, 11:22 PM
I don't understand the problem. Kid is a player and wants to come here and help us out. One year, four years, who gives a crap.

BoulderSooner79
8/5/2012, 11:41 PM
Because Gardner didn't make it and the other WRs don't have much more knowledge of the system either. At least not the ones that didn't get suspended. He at least has a lot of D1 experience and is physically mature. Normally, this would be a big risk for both OU and Brown, but the circumstances are not normal.

I would like to think the other kids have had the summer to learn the playbook though I understand going to D1 is a big jump for most. I suspect the passing game will be simplified for at least first month.

That's why I said "not much more" - they do have some. But the summer workouts are not supervised by coaches and most these kids are freshman and not even fully grown. Brown shouldn't be far behind assuming he gets here ASAP. No guarantee he adapts to the system, but the same could be said for the freshman guys too.

BoulderSooner79
8/5/2012, 11:50 PM

The coaches could have chosen to just slap the wrist of the 3 problem guys and had them in practice right now. I believe that would have resulted in even more problems down the road.

Things like this happen. I remember people complaining about poor recruiting at LB in '08. But if you looked at it objectively we could have had Curtis Lofton backed by Ryan Reynolds and been considered one of the best 2 deep at that position in the country. Hard to predict Lofton declaring early after 1 year as starter and Reynolds injuring both knees. Certainly wasn't a recruiting problem.

sendbaht
8/6/2012, 04:25 AM
He may drop a few passes but not he does not have to worry any longer about dropping the soap....Good move on his part and we welcome him.

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2012, 07:12 AM
I don't understand the problem. Kid is a player and wants to come here and help us out. One year, four years, who gives a crap.

this -

i dont get/understand why anybody would think this is a problem or that he can't help....give the kid a chance

SoonerofAlabama
8/6/2012, 09:02 AM
Quit complaining guys. We got him. At the very least, he's a guy that helps distract the defense and get another receiver open. You guys are making it sound like he's a burden. We got a big, mature receiver. That's gonna help one way or another.

BoomerJ
8/6/2012, 12:43 PM
Wouldn't doubt if he becomes out punt return man. He had a great run back for TD in their bowl game last year.

SoonerofAlabama
8/6/2012, 01:07 PM
And he's officially en route to OKC.

BoulderSooner79
8/6/2012, 01:14 PM
Brown is a decent sized guy - could he play on the OL ?

OU_Sooners75
10/20/2012, 08:22 PM

OOPS!

MamaMia
10/20/2012, 08:35 PM
OOPS!Surely you can do better than that. Come on, there are 77 posts just in that 1 thread.

OU_Sooners75
10/20/2012, 08:37 PM
Yeah I can...but that's the best I can think of...lol

MamaMia
10/20/2012, 08:39 PM
Yeah I can...but that's the best I can think of...lolThat n00b was the only one I could find so far, but I'm done helping now. The game is still on. :D

SCOUT
10/20/2012, 08:40 PM
I feel that your assessment is substandard.

Was that too harsh?

VA Sooner
10/20/2012, 09:11 PM
Great punt return by Brown. Ups his yardage on punt returns this year.

ouleaf
10/20/2012, 09:26 PM
Definitely made up for the earlier fumble on the night. He seems to make a big play at least once a game as a returner, which has been great. He has that innate ability to make the first gunner miss and accelerate. Just wish we had him for more than the one year.

trwxxa
10/21/2012, 08:11 AM

Let me help.
This poster is obviously a dips**t and knows nothing about evaluating a kid and his talent. He also has no confidence is the staffs ability to create a cohesive unit in a short amount of time.

He should be perma-banned. :redface:

cleller
10/21/2012, 08:15 AM
Let me help.
This poster is obviously a dips**t and knows nothing about evaluating a kid and his talent. He also has no confidence is the staffs ability to create a cohesive unit in a short amount of time.

At least THIS guy knows what he's talking about.

Yeah.

OU_Sooners75
10/21/2012, 10:10 AM
Let me help.

Haha

Just sometimes jumping to conclussions can bite you I'm the ***.

Doesn't matter, we all have done it before.

TahoeSOONER
10/21/2012, 10:38 AM
You won't see a better stretch for the goaline than on that punt return. A six yard dive and pure will to get the nose of the football across, one to remember.

hawaii 5-0
10/21/2012, 10:51 AM
It was easy to tell from the first time he stepped on the field that he was a competitor.

Tall, good hands, speed, elusive, strives for YAC.

All the stuff I like in a receiver.

The punt return factor is an added bonus. That was a great one yesterday with a fantastic finishing stretch over the goal line.

5-0

StoopTroup
10/21/2012, 12:14 PM
Justin is something special. It has to have been tough for him to leave and come here but I think it's obvious he made the right choice. He really had some big moments last night. I sat next to a Penn State Fan last night. Very nice gentleman. Yes...they actually have some nice, well informed Fans. I know it seems a shocker from reading some of the dribble many of us have seen. He seemed happy for Justin rather than bitter and envious that he is here in Norman.

I think he got to see first hand how, Oklahoma has turned into one of the Greats in College Football and why guys like Justin who are very talented, can look west past the Teams they grew up watching and pick a School like Oklahoma to play Football and get a good education.

I think this really helps us a bit when trying to convince a good recruit to come here instead of some place closer to Home.

Justin had a great night.

Salt City Sooner
10/21/2012, 02:43 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/1022

Yep, I think I can live with that. :D

Soonerwake
10/21/2012, 02:59 PM
I've noticed that he appears to be well-liked, respected by his teammates. They really rally around him when he scores. I know they do that for everyone, but he seems to get a lot of attention. Just a subtle observation...