PDA

View Full Version : Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day is a big hit in OKC and throughout the USA!

nighttrain12
8/1/2012, 03:47 PM
http://newsok.com/metro-area-residents-show-support-for-chick-fil-a/article/3697306

http://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/r620-957023d2a8350a323797fb7d916209c5.jpg

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 03:55 PM
Im Glad, I dont see where he did a thing wrong , He stated his Views . Thats his Right

rock on sooner
8/1/2012, 04:10 PM
Im Glad, I dont see where he did a thing wrong , He stated his Views . Thats his Right

Yup, n I think all the politicians that've been shooting off
their mouths are way off base. Dont eat at the stores 'cause
I dont like their food, not cause of the CEO...

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 04:19 PM
Id give em a try if there was one around me

badger
8/1/2012, 04:22 PM
Groups in the minority opinion: Wait a second... you mean more people believe in the MAJORITY opinion?!?!?!

Viking Kitten
8/1/2012, 04:51 PM
The people in that photo are just lucky that Jesus loves fat people.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/1/2012, 04:55 PM
I am happy that this is a success. the national news will not speak of it (I bet) and the kiss-in on Friday will be populated by about 20 people and that will get national attention! F-U Rahm, Boston mayor guy and NYU hag!!!

I went by my Chik-Fil-A and it was packed! you couldn't move in the parking lot and it has a 2-deep drive-thru...

Turd_Ferguson
8/1/2012, 04:56 PM
The people in that photo are just lucky that Jesus loves fat people.Touch'e.

Viking Kitten
8/1/2012, 04:59 PM
I am happy that this is a success. the national news will not speak of it (I bet) ...

Which is why it's on the front page of CNN.com right this moment: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/01/us/chick-fil-a-appreciation/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 05:04 PM
Which is why it's on the front page of CNN.com right this moment: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/01/us/chick-fil-a-appreciation/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Are ya really sayin CNN is National? Come on yer funnin me aint ya?

Turd_Ferguson
8/1/2012, 05:35 PM
Are ya really sayin CNN is National? Come on yer funnin me aint ya?Howard...lefties think CNN is at the TOP of the chain when it comes to REAL news...

rock on sooner
8/1/2012, 05:50 PM
Howard...lefties think CNN is at the TOP of the chain when it comes to REAL news...

Hey, TF, interested to know what/who you think is at the top of
said chain?

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 06:01 PM
Hey, TF, interested to know what/who you think is at the top of
said chain?
By God the Best news is from Slap Out Ok.

ouwasp
8/1/2012, 06:05 PM
Friend of mine sent me this text about an hour ago...

Unbelievable... chick fil a packed... no way in

Pretty sure he's talking about the one on 71st in Tulsa. I suggested he try Promenade.

Viking Kitten
8/1/2012, 06:25 PM
Nah, that's just the lady in the red shirt blocking the door.

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2012, 06:29 PM
I honestly no longer understand how you can advocate a position that denies a select group of American citizens of the same liberty and rights afforded to everyone else. Equal protection and equal rights under the law should be exactly that.

:shrug:

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 06:37 PM
I honestly no longer understand how you can advocate a position that denies a select group of American citizens of the same liberty and rights afforded to everyone else. Equal protection and equal rights under the law should be exactly that.

Dude, Hes talking about HIS personal Opinion and Christian beliefs. Thats American, H.aving the FREEDOM OF SPEECH
If you disagree with that Then Dont ever bitch about the WBBC bunch again

8timechamps
8/1/2012, 06:38 PM

So, people shouldn't state their opinion?

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2012, 06:41 PM
Dude, Hes talking about HIS personal Opinion and Christian beliefs. Thats American, H.aving the FREEDOM OF SPEECH
If you disagree with that Then Dont ever bitch about the WBBC bunch again

So, people shouldn't state their opinion?

Uhhhh.....

I never said he couldn't or shouldn't state his opinion. I'm stating my opinion that he's wrong.

Wishboned
8/1/2012, 06:44 PM
If an individual wants to boycott the restaurant because of the views of the CEO then that's fine. But for the mayors of Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, and San Francisco to say they will block Chick-Fil-A from opening new stores in their area because of those views then that is unacceptable. I'm all for gay marriage, but all this ruckus has made me want to go eat some Chick-Fil-A.

I do believe old Rahm should be worrying more about the rampant crime and incredible murder rate in his city and stop worry about whether or not Warren Blumenfeld agrees with gay marriage or not.

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2012, 06:50 PM
If an individual wants to boycott the restaurant because of the views of the CEO then that's fine. But for the mayors of Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, and San Francisco to say they will block Chick-Fil-A from opening new stores in their area because of those views then that is unacceptable. I'm all for gay marriage, but all this ruckus has made me want to go eat some Chick-Fil-A.

I do believe old Rahm should be worrying more about the rampant crime and incredible murder rate in his city and stop worry about whether or not Warren Blumenfeld agrees with gay marriage or not.

This I totally agree with.

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 06:50 PM

Uhhhh.....

I never said he couldn't or shouldn't state his opinion. I'm stating my opinion that he's wrong.
Well IMHO you are wrong .
So we both have that right

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 06:53 PM

Chicago, Boston, Philidelphia, and San Fran . will only allow new fast food places Named
Dick-Fil-A

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2012, 06:54 PM
Well IMHO you are wrong .
So we both have that right
I'm fine with that.

8timechamps
8/1/2012, 06:55 PM
Uhhhh.....

Right. And you posted it in this thread because you just wanted to share. C'mon Sic'Em, give us a little credit.

You really wanted to poke the hornets nest. Then run away and say "did I do that?!".

8timechamps
8/1/2012, 06:57 PM

Another win for the Common Sense Party!!!

Wishboned for President!

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2012, 07:00 PM
Right. And you posted it in this thread because you just wanted to share. C'mon Sic'Em, give us a little credit.

You really wanted to poke the hornets nest. Then run away and say "did I do that?!".

I honestly don't know exactly where you're coming from. I would never ever suggest he does not or should not have the right to say what he says. I'm just saying that I think his opinion is wrong. :shrug:

FWIW, I find any effort by government to limit his right to say what he wants or expand his business to be scary in the least and tyrannical at worst. Like I said...he can say what he wants but I happen to disagree with him.

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 07:02 PM
I honestly don't know exactly where you're coming from. I would never ever suggest he does not or should not have the right to say what he says. I'm just saying that I think his opinion is wrong. :shrug:

FWIW, I find any effort by government to limit his right to say what he wants or expand his business to be scary in the least and tyrannical at worst. Like I said...he can say what he wants but I happen to disagree with him.

So then Tell the Queer loving Libs that say they wont allow a Chik-Fil-A in their town that THEY are wrong
By the way I agree with you about this

StoopTroup
8/1/2012, 07:04 PM
Chick FIL A uses Henny Penny pressurized deep fryers as does Walmart.

If you want to try Chick FIL A you can go get some fried chicken at Walmart. It's the same damn thing.

8timechamps
8/1/2012, 07:11 PM

Then I misinterpreted your intent. My apologies.

I think his opinion is wrong too, but he has the right to say it. What really surprised me about this, is that the media tried pretty hard to bring him down, and it looks like this is the best thing that could have ever happened for Chik-fil-a.

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 07:12 PM
Chick FIL A uses Henny Penny pressurized deep fryers as does Walmart.

If you want to try Chick FIL A you can go get some fried chicken at Walmart. It's the same damn thing.
No it aint Wally Weird is all for the Gheys
Chic-Fil-A isnt

tulsaoilerfan
8/1/2012, 07:26 PM
Like it or not the man has the right to express his opinion and people that are calling for boycotts should shut the **** up and move on to something else

3rdgensooner
8/1/2012, 07:50 PM
The people calling for boycotts have the right to express their opinions as well.

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 08:01 PM
The people calling for boycotts have the right to express their opinions as well.
Yes they do, However the elected peeps Need to STFU

MsProudSooner
8/1/2012, 08:01 PM
I like Chick-fil-a chicken, but I didn't go there today.

I did watch this video, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JprRWKQys7A

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 08:09 PM
I like Chick-fil-a chicken, but I didn't go there today.

I did watch this video, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JprRWKQys7A
I can say I watched less than a minute of that carp

diverdog
8/1/2012, 08:17 PM
So then Tell the Queer loving Libs that say they wont allow a Chik-Fil-A in their town that THEY are wrong
By the way I agree with you about this

Okay, so you guys blasted me for asking Chuck why he would want to move to Oklahoma because I thought Oklahoma was not friendly to gays. So after a heated argument I back down and apologized saying that Oklahoma may have changed. And now I come on here and see that you posted this? So explain to me why my perception of Oklahoma was wrong in the first place?

BTW Chick Fil A can do whatever they want. I don't care. One of my friends is a owner (if that is what they are called) of one here in Dover and they never discriminate against anyone and I am pretty sure that is true for all Chick Fil A's.

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 08:23 PM
Okay, so you guys blasted me for asking Chuck why he would want to move to Oklahoma because I thought Oklahoma was not friendly to gays. So after a heated argument I back down and apologized saying that Oklahoma may have changed. And now I come on here and see that you posted this? So explain to me why my perception of Oklahoma was wrong in the first place?

BTW Chick Fil A can do whatever they want. I don't care. One of my friends is a owner (if that is what they are called) of one here in Dover and they never discriminate against anyone and I am pretty sure that is true for all Chick Fil A's.

Typical Lib shat Bro
grab a portion of a sentence and swing with it , What I said has NOTHING to do what so ever with the Gheys(QUEERS, if you will)
It has to do with the Libs using that (Much like you) to twist their OWN agenda

diverdog
8/1/2012, 08:57 PM
Typical Lib shat Bro
grab a portion of a sentence and swing with it , What I said has NOTHING to do what so ever with the Gheys(QUEERS, if you will)
It has to do with the Libs using that (Much like you) to twist their OWN agenda

What agenda it that vet?

olevetonahill
8/1/2012, 09:05 PM
What agenda it that vet?

You Know

diverdog
8/1/2012, 09:11 PM
You Know

Nope I am pretty much clueless.

jkjsooner
8/1/2012, 09:13 PM

I don't see where he did anything wrong either but I see no problem with a gay person or someone who supports gay rights boycotting the chain. If you are willing to state your opinion you need to be willing to accept the consequences.

I just don't see why anyone feels the need to go out of their way to support Chick-fil-A. Big deal, he ticked some people off and they're no longer going to dine at his establishments. I wouldn't expect anything else from either group.

In the long run, this is a much bigger issue to the gay community than it is to those who are supporting Chick-fil-A. The support will fade long before the anger from the gay community will. The net effect will be negative but so slight that it won't make a bit of difference. It pales in comparison to lost Sunday revenue.

Frankly, I'd be ticked if I really wanted a chicken sandwich and had to wait in line because some misguided moron felt the need to go out of their way to support someone rather than accept the fact that ticking people off (whether you are right or wrong) has consequences.

jkjsooner
8/1/2012, 09:21 PM

If you're talking about sexual orientation discrimination, in the strictest sense, they have equal rights. A gay man has just as much right to marry a woman as a straight man. To say otherwise would be equivalent to saying pot smokers are being discriminated against because they prefer pot to alcohol.

Now, if you want to say it's gender discrimination then you have a much better point. A gay man can't marry another man while a straight woman can. The discrimination is on gender.

AlboSooner
8/1/2012, 09:31 PM
I don't usually get involved in these cultural wars. I also used to laugh at the people who said there was a liberal bias in the media.

The treatment of Chick-Fil-A's CEO was as a despicable character assassination as we have seen. The dude states his personal views in some obscure website or radio show, someone digs that up and decided to bully him and his company. Although I don't like the religious-right type of activities I went to get a chicken sandwich, to remind myself why I don't eat fast food.

IN the meantime Amazon's CEO gave $2.5 million to a pro gay rights group. He can use his money to support his worldview, but the chicken guy can't.

diverdog
8/1/2012, 10:16 PM
I don't usually get involved in these cultural wars. I also used to laugh at the people who said there was a liberal bias in the media.

The treatment of Chick-Fil-A's CEO was as a despicable character assassination as we have seen. The dude states his personal views in some obscure website or radio show, someone digs that up and decided to bully him and his company. Although I don't like the religious-right type of activities I went to get a chicken sandwich, to remind myself why I don't eat fast food.

IN the meantime Amazon's CEO gave $2.5 million to a pro gay rights group. He can use his money to support his worldview, but the chicken guy can't.

Albo:

I am kind of smack dab in the middle of this because I am an active Scout leader and now everyone is asking me about the BSA policy banning gay leaders and Scouts. I think what everyone fails to realize is that neither the Scouts or Chick Fil A care about homosexuality as long as it is not shoved in their face. For instance, I am unaware in my 30 years as a Scout leader our Council getting rid of a single Scout because they were gay. I personally know of two Eagle Scouts who are gay. We do not care as long as someone does not press the issue. And I will say we would be equally condemning if someone decided to press the issue on heterosexual sex. Sex discussions should be done by the parents. As for Chick Fil A I would bet they serve tens of thousands of Gay folks every day and no one thinks anything of it. I would also bet they have lots of Gay employees. My wish would be that both organizations back off their policies but as private organizations they are free to do what they want.

StoopTroup
8/1/2012, 10:56 PM
No it aint Wally Weird is all for the Gheys
Chic-Fil-A isnt

I'm not sure what that has to do with them both using Henny Penny Fryers but I guess if you are going to prove out whatever point you are trying to make, you could contact the fine folks at Henny Penny to break the 2 way tie you developed in your hornet nest mind.

MsProudSooner
8/1/2012, 11:56 PM
I have a pet peeve against corporations or entertainers who make political statements and then whine and complain because there is a backlash to their political statements. Chick-fil-a should have learned a lesson from The Dixie Chicks several years ago. For every political action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. You have every right to make political statements, but you have to expect reactions that may affect your bottom line. No matter which end of the political spectrum your statement comes from, if you believe in your statement strongly enough, don't whine when people disagree with you and vote with their pocketbook.

SicEmBaylor
8/2/2012, 12:41 AM
I have a pet peeve against corporations or entertainers who make political statements and then whine and complain because there is a backlash to their political statements. Chick-fil-a should have learned a lesson from The Dixie Chicks several years ago. For every political action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. You have every right to make political statements, but you have to expect reactions that may affect your bottom line. No matter which end of the political spectrum your statement comes from, if you believe in your statement strongly enough, don't whine when people disagree with you and vote with their pocketbook.

I agree with most of this, but there is a major difference between this and the Dixie Chicks. The Dixie Chicks were critical of American foreign policy while on foreign soil....that makes the act unconscionable in my estimation.

Pricetag
8/2/2012, 01:04 AM
I think this whole thing was weak.

The media took a comment on a relatively obscure radio show and inflated it into a national controversy. A good number of very loud people could not ignore it and decided to do something about it by not doing something. An even bigger number of people, determined not to be one-upped in the ability to not ignore, decided to do something about it by doing something, and now we're already forgetting about it.

StoopTroup
8/2/2012, 01:15 AM
I agree pricetag. Thing is now it looks like you can
make a personal comment like he did and then if the right folks have a hissy fit about it....you might have one of the best retail days in your Company's History afterwards.

Genius in a way.

Chuck Bao
8/2/2012, 03:45 AM
I wonder how many of you would agree, support and subsequently vote for a mayor of a city that banned a fast food franchise chain that had publicly stated that a part of its corporate profits would go to finance Planned Parenthood and abortions for destitute women.

Like it or not, these type of judgment calls are often made at the municipal level. For instance, the city of Oakland, Oklahoma (very small town a mile outside Madill) decided last year to slap a moratorium on any more new trailer parks in the city because I guess they weren’t considered the right type of neighbors. That decision was very popular with the current residents of the city. Now, how is that different than banning the opening of a fast food restaurant that is not a good neighbor and financing bigotry and hatred, well according to the majority local public opinion?

The really weird thing in all of this is that these self-professed Christians claim to be defending the “Biblical definition of marriage” without seemingly to have studied the Bible or history enough to understand what all that entails.

I wasn’t aware that freedom of speech includes financing that particular view, but I guess it does. Chick-fil-A can never be given a free pass just because they employ homosexuals and serve homosexuals. Of course they do, because if they didn't they'd be breaking the law.

I’ve said before that it would have been very, very easy for the board of directors of Chick-fil-A to vote big bonuses to the executives so that they could donate money to anti-gay groups and not involve the corporation. The vast majority of American companies with a political agenda do this. I still believe that this was a PR ploy to strengthen its popularity with its base in the southern US and nothing more.

I don't see where he did anything wrong either but I see no problem with a gay person or someone who supports gay rights boycotting the chain. If you are willing to state your opinion you need to be willing to accept the consequences.

I just don't see why anyone feels the need to go out of their way to support Chick-fil-A. Big deal, he ticked some people off and they're no longer going to dine at his establishments. I wouldn't expect anything else from either group.

In the long run, this is a much bigger issue to the gay community than it is to those who are supporting Chick-fil-A. The support will fade long before the anger from the gay community will. The net effect will be negative but so slight that it won't make a bit of difference. It pales in comparison to lost Sunday revenue.

Frankly, I'd be ticked if I really wanted a chicken sandwich and had to wait in line because some misguided moron felt the need to go out of their way to support someone rather than accept the fact that ticking people off (whether you are right or wrong) has consequences.

You got that part right (bolded). There is coming a backlash against this short-sighted corporate PR ploy.

The last I heard is that universities all across our country, including the south, are in the process of banning any new Chick-fil-A outlets on campus. If you were ever involved in student government in a university, you’ll understand how that works.

There is so much anger and it will not be forgotten. I won’t ever knowingly sit at a table and break bread with anyone who celebrated bigotry and hatred today. There are some incredibly misguided people out there who thought that they did the right and Christian thing, I know. But a lot of the world’s evil was under the guise of ignorance or taking advantage of that.

I'm going to be very curious in what Chick-fil-A is going to try next.

Wishboned
8/2/2012, 04:09 AM
Like it or not, these type of judgment calls are often made at the municipal level. For instance, the city of Oakland, Oklahoma (very small town a mile outside Madill) decided last year to slap a moratorium on any more new trailer parks in the city because I guess they weren’t considered the right type of neighbors. That decision was very popular with the current residents of the city. Now, how is that different than banning the opening of a fast food restaurant that is not a good neighbor and financing bigotry and hatred, well according to the majority local public opinion?

It's different because they're banning all trailer parks, not just a proposed trailer park by someone who holds a belief that is counter to theirs.

Chuck Bao
8/2/2012, 04:16 AM
I'm not sure what that has to do with them both using Henny Penny Fryers but I guess if you are going to prove out whatever point you are trying to make, you could contact the fine folks at Henny Penny to break the 2 way tie you developed in your hornet nest mind.

Bees in his bonnet? No clue about that nor am I interested in associating with anyone using the Q or F words. Why would anyone feel that it's okay using those words?

Chuck Bao
8/2/2012, 04:18 AM
It's different because they're banning all trailer parks, not just a proposed trailer park by someone who holds a belief that is counter to theirs.

I don't get that point at all. Aren't you like banning all gays, regardless if some live in trailer parks?

Wishboned
8/2/2012, 04:50 AM
I don't get that point at all. Aren't you like banning all gays, regardless if some live in trailer parks?

Whatever you say chief.

Sooner24
8/2/2012, 08:03 AM
First off Chick-Fil-A had nothing to do with what happened yesterday. Second, this was not a gay issue, this was a freedom of speech issue. Just because he stated his opinion about marriage doesn't mean he's a homophobe or discriminates against anyone.

olevetonahill
8/2/2012, 08:17 AM

I see the same old Greg has returned, Are you sure YOU want to be talking about some one having a "Hornets nest Mind"?:butterfly:

marfacowboy
8/2/2012, 08:23 AM
This is basically benefiting Chic-Fil-A and the delusional bigot that runs it. Their supporters are out in droves and gays probably didn't eat there anyway.

olevetonahill
8/2/2012, 08:27 AM
This is basically benefiting Chic-Fil-A and the delusional bigot that runs it. Their supporters are out in droves and gays probably didn't eat there anyway.
Delusional or not, He still has the right to express his opinion and those that support that opinion have the right to purchase that product.
I am amazed at those who express outrage over the man stating his beliefs.

Is it only OK for Yall to Publicly state your Opinions?

SanJoaquinSooner
8/2/2012, 08:52 AM
I agree with the ACLU and vet on this one.

Unpopular speech is protected and public officials should not try to block one's economic freedom. As Milton Friedman said, you can't have economic freedom without political freedom.

I also fully support a boycott of Chick-fil-A.

jkjsooner
8/2/2012, 08:55 AM
Now I want a chicken sandwich. So, if I got to chick-fil-a today am I:

Supporting their owner's stance on gay marriage?

or

Demonstrating that I did not wait in line an hour for a sandwich yesterday over some stupid cause?

Maybe I'll get the McDonald's ripoff "southern style chicken sandwich" although it just isn't as good as Chick-fil-A.

And, by the way, I do not support the stance that the mayor's took. Local governments do some strange and crazy things. This is true for both liberal and conservative ones. I think this is due to the fact that local areas tend to be much more homogeneous and thus they tend more towards the extremes. That's why I'm glad we have a federal government just strong enough to hold these local idiots in check.

olevetonahill
8/2/2012, 08:57 AM
I agree with the ACLU and vet on this one.

Unpopular speech is protected and public officials should not try to block one's economic freedom. As Milton Friedman said, you can't have economic freedom without political freedom.

I also fully support a boycott of Chick-fil-A.

As is your RIGHT !

Fraggle145
8/2/2012, 09:04 AM
I couldnt give a **** less.

jkjsooner
8/2/2012, 09:34 AM
Delusional or not, He still has the right to express his opinion and those that support that opinion have the right to purchase that product.
I am amazed at those who express outrage over the man stating his beliefs.

Is it only OK for Yall to Publicly state your Opinions?

I'm not sure where you're going here. Most people are in agreement. He has a right to his opinions but there are consequences to expressing your opinions. If his opinion offends someone then that person has every right to be outraged and publicly criticize him and call him a bigot or whatever.

You seem to agree with all of this so I'm a little confused at the point you're making here.

It's not like we all don't face criticism and outrage over the comments we make here.

oudanny
8/2/2012, 10:03 AM
I've got no dog in the gay marriage hunt but when government officials threaten to single out a business because they don't like the opinions of the owners or employees then I have a problem. Individuals can boycott or patronize according to their beliefs and the government has the authority to regulate businesses based on a lot of things but not on protected speech/opinions. Anything else is tyranny. If the government can do it to one then they can do it to all.

olevetonahill
8/2/2012, 10:07 AM
I've got no dog in the gay marriage hunt but when government officials threaten to single out a business because they don't like the opinions of the owners or employees then I have a problem. Individuals can boycott or patronize according to their beliefs and the government has the authority to regulate businesses based on a lot of things but not on protected speech/opinions. Anything else is tyranny. If the government can do it to one then they can do it to all.

Spot on

MsProudSooner
8/2/2012, 10:07 AM

Haven't some towns voted not to allow Walmart to build within their city limits? I'm not saying I agree with what the city officials are doing, but similar things have been done in the past.

yermom
8/2/2012, 10:39 AM
but that's because Walmart kills local businesses, not because they openly hate the gheys

Hot Rod
8/2/2012, 11:57 AM
Maybe I'll get the McDonald's ripoff "southern style chicken sandwich" although it just isn't as good as Chick-fil-A.

Don't waste your money. Get the real thing!

MsProudSooner
8/2/2012, 11:57 AM
but that's because Walmart kills local businesses, not because they openly hate the gheys

The point is that cities seem top have the right to deny businesses.

I don't think it's a particularly smart thing to do. I don't think it's particularly smart for businesses to wade into controversial issues, either.

starclassic tama
8/2/2012, 12:17 PM
If you disagree with that Then Dont ever bitch about the WBBC bunch againthe problem isn't with him stating his beliefs. the problem is with him using chick-fil-a profits to donate money to groups that seek the legal discrimination of gay people. i wonder how many of these people would have the balls to support him if he was donating money to the KKK?

sooneron
8/2/2012, 12:29 PM
First off Chick-Fil-A had nothing to do with what happened yesterday. Second, this was not a gay issue, this was a freedom of speech issue. Just because he stated his opinion about marriage doesn't mean he's a homophobe or discriminates against anyone.

Yeah, I'm sure Mr. Old White Dude from Rural Jawja (So Baptist) isn't a homophobe. I mean, just because he gives $ to groups that are doesn't mean that he is. And if I were gay, there is no way in hades that I'd move to OK. Nothing will ever really change there.

SicEmBaylor
8/2/2012, 12:31 PM
the problem isn't with him stating his beliefs. the problem is with him using chick-fil-a profits to donate money to groups that seek the legal discrimination of gay people. i wonder how many of these people would have the balls to support him if he was donating money to the KKK?
*raises hand*

(I kid...I kid....sort of)

SicEmBaylor
8/2/2012, 12:34 PM
The point is that cities seem top have the right to deny businesses.

I don't think it's a particularly smart thing to do. I don't think it's particularly smart for businesses to wade into controversial issues, either.
Government, at any level, ought not have the power to deny an individual the right to earn a living or start a business. It's tyrannical.

sooneron
8/2/2012, 12:41 PM
^ This I pretty much get behind. Although I would pitch a fit if fuggin Wal mart moved into my area. Of course, there's no room and they wouldn't want to pay the $, so I'm all good there.

Viking Kitten
8/2/2012, 12:49 PM
*raises hand*

(I kid...I kid....sort of)

Sometimes I think if someone did one of those Harry Potter-style mind glimpses on Sicem it would be truly, truly terrifying.

jkjsooner
8/2/2012, 01:00 PM
Government, at any level, ought not have the power to deny an individual the right to earn a living or start a business. It's tyrannical.

When you say "deny an individual the right to earn a living" are you limiting that to cases where an individual or business is specifically targeted? If so I agree.

But I do agree with zoning. If the residents of a county wants to keep its mom and pop type atmosphere then I think it's totally fair to limit the size of retail space in a single store.

Here in Orange County, NC they've been very successful at it. Chapel Hill has a very unique feel and if the residents want to maintain that then I think that's their right.

Given there are consequences. All sorts of large retail stores have popped up just across the border in Durham County. A new Walmart is being built right across the border in Chatham County. CH residents routinely drive into the surrounding counties to shop and as a consequence the tax rates have to be really high in Orange County. But, anyway, that's their right if they want to maintain the charm that exists there.

SicEmBaylor
8/2/2012, 01:31 PM
Sometimes I think if someone did one of those Harry Potter-style mind glimpses on Sicem it would be truly, truly terrifying.
It's a wonderland in here.

When you say "deny an individual the right to earn a living" are you limiting that to cases where an individual or business is specifically targeted? If so I agree.

But I do agree with zoning. If the residents of a county wants to keep its mom and pop type atmosphere then I think it's totally fair to limit the size of retail space in a single store.

Here in Orange County, NC they've been very successful at it. Chapel Hill has a very unique feel and if the residents want to maintain that then I think that's their right.

Given there are consequences. All sorts of large retail stores have popped up just across the border in Durham County. A new Walmart is being built right across the border in Chatham County. CH residents routinely drive into the surrounding counties to shop and as a consequence the tax rates have to be really high in Orange County. But, anyway, that's their right if they want to maintain the charm that exists there.

I'm conflicted on the zoning issue. I typically teeter on the line between libertarian and paleo-conservative and zoning laws are one of those issues where I've never been too sure of where I fall. On the one hand, I think it absolutely wrong to deny anyone the right to do whatever they want with their property. Property rights are the cornerstone of a free society. Having said that, I value protecting small town communities from commercial sprawl. Your classic smal city with a town square and ma-pa stores surrounding it is something that I think is very important, but I don't know how to reconcile that with my pro-property rights beliefs.

rock on sooner
8/2/2012, 01:43 PM
You know, I wonder if the CEO didn't shoot off his mouth just to create
publicity...I'm guessing his stores are off the charts compared to last
year. If he didn't do it for that reason, then I think he made a poor
choice in being so public.

As to the politicians blocking further development, well, that's asinine!
Even poorer choice. Zoning, you bet, cities, towns, counties gotta do
that to keep sense and sensibility in place. Walmart, yup, they are
mom and pop killers, among the most ruthless retailers on the planet,
both with competition and their vendors/suppliers.

All that said, it IS a free country and you can speak your mind, even
if it is empty much of the time.

BajaOklahoma
8/2/2012, 03:26 PM
So how does everyone feel about Amazon donating 2.5 million in support of gay rights? And if I remember the article correctly, that was just the amount donated in 2011.

IMO, if you support one company's right to their beliefs, then you have to support the other's right to their beliefs. And I am including monetary support as part of the beliefs.

Hot Rod
8/2/2012, 03:34 PM
So how does everyone feel about Amazon donating 2.5 million in support of gay rights? And if I remember the article correctly, that was just the amount donated in 2011.

IMO, if you support one company's right to their beliefs, then you have to support the other's right to their beliefs. And I am including monetary support as part of the beliefs.

That is their right to support anyone they choose to. I'll still buy stuff from Amazon because they have some awesome deals every now and then.

Sooner24
8/2/2012, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Mr. Old White Dude from Rural Jawja (So Baptist) isn't a homophobe. I mean, just because he gives $ to groups that are doesn't mean that he is. And if I were gay, there is no way in hades that I'd move to OK. Nothing will ever really change there.

I don't care if you are gay or not please stay away.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/2/2012, 04:04 PM
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/712280/thumbs/s-WENDYS-FRANCHISE-large.jpg

Some businesses will do anything to make a sale.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/2/2012, 04:05 PM
CBS did not cover, ABC and NBC mainly covered the pro gay protesters only.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/2/2012, 04:08 PM
I’ve said before that it would have been very, very easy for the board of directors of Chick-fil-A to vote big bonuses to the executives so that they could donate money to anti-gay groups and not involve the corporation. The vast majority of American companies with a political agenda do this. I still believe that this was a PR ploy to strengthen its popularity with its base in the southern US and nothing more.

Chick-fil-a is a privately held company so I'm not sure what would be the difference of granting himself a larger salary so he can give the money to other groups vs. the company itself giving money since his finances and the company's are one and the same.

Midtowner
8/2/2012, 04:10 PM
This was posted on my Facebook today. It lays the situation out pretty well. Agree with it 100%.

A very articulate, emotional and thought provoking stance on the chic-fil-a issue from a former student of mine...very proud of him and Peter!
[Fraternity Brother] --

I love you like a brother, and I’m really truly happy that as an owner-operator of a Chick-fil-A franchise, you enjoyed amazingly stellar sales yesterday due to circumstances that had nothing to do with what I’m sure is quality food and service that your business provides your community. But as a gay man who is in a loving, supportive, fulfilling relationship with my partner of 13 years who I met at the fraternity that you personally convinced me to join, I am obviously and very painfully conflicted. Unfortunately, your success today was due to the outpouring of support in your local community for the opposition to same-sex marriage. My inability to marry my loved one is a denial of a basic civil right that you and all opposite-gender couples enjoy.

According to the Chick-fil-A website, the Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in its restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect – regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender. Despite this noble viewpoint, Chick-fil-A’s CEO Truett Cathy has been very vocal about his commitment to supporting groups that oppose marriage equality.

Chick-fil-A’s very noble public equality statement obviously does not take account of how destructive it is to American society for gays and lesbians to be regarded as second-class citizens by denying them the basic right to marry. This “basic” right is not as basic as it seems though, because the definition of marriage in federal law includes provisions for well over 1,400 rights and privileges that are difficult, if not impossible, and prohibitively costly to engineer and or contract for outside of a basic marriage license.

While you may feel that your value system and religious beliefs are in line with the “blocks long” swarms of customers that have demonstrated their support for Chick-fil-A’s opposition to same-sex marriage, and while you may feel that you and your beautiful family are far removed from the struggle for marriage equality because you have traditional Christian beliefs and a “traditional” family structure yourself, I don’t think you realize how involved in the struggle for same-sex marriage you and [Fraternity Brother's Wife] actually are.

When I rushed our fraternity on a cold September evening back in 1996, I met you and a handful of other mutual friends of ours that night at the chapter house, and I was hooked. There was nothing particularly amazing, special, unique, or outstanding about the fraternity house or any of the guys that I met.

But I never would have stuck around the fraternity after that first night if I hadn’t met you and [Fraternity Brother #2] and [Fraternity Brother #3]. I never would have had the two years of bonding with you that I got to enjoy serving together on the executive committee and doing our best to promote and grow our chapter together. I never would have gone on to continue being actively involved after you eventually graduated and moved on if I had not had such a worthwhile time bonding with you and the 100+ brothers that came along after you during my four years of active membership. And I never would have met my Peter at the beginning of my fourth year had I not been there in the first place because of special friends like you.

I DID NOT realize I was gay prior to having met you at the age of 18. It did not occur to me until I was 21 and met my Peter. I just realized that it is what I always had been. It was not easy for me to come to terms with, mostly because I had to spend a few years coming to terms with it and waiting for my friends and family and loved ones to come to terms with it, all over different periods of time. Most of the fraternity brothers that I still keep in touch with have basically found out via Facebook if they cared to look at my profile, and the ones I have chatted with about it have been supportive as far as I can tell.

I certainly did not choose to be gay. It can’t possibly be a choice. Why would anyone choose to be regarded as a second-class citizen and have to plan travel itineraries around gay-friendly versus gay-hostile cities and towns? Why would anyone choose to disappoint family members who most likely expected children from me by my mid-20s and are still waiting and will have to keep waiting until I can muster the funds to either adopt or conceive through egg donors and surrogacy?

I don’t know how you and [Fraternity Brother's Wife] feel about me being gay, but your opinions, which you have every right to, are not any more relevant to me than my opinion on where you should vacation this year should be to you. We all live our separate lives, and most of the time, we can celebrate each others’ lives together either passively or actively or not at all using social media like Facebook and Twitter during the long stretches of time that we go between actually visiting each other in person. It is rare that our personal views on a topic can actually have far-reaching and destructive effects on others.

I sincerely hope that I never ever have a chance to benefit financially from your misfortune. More specifically, I hope I never have an opportunity to celebrate a banner day for my own small business while at the same time supporting or expressing appreciation for or agreement with any cause that restricts, revokes, withholds, or otherwise undermines any of the civil rights that you or your loved ones enjoy or hope to enjoy in the future.

What exactly is gay marriage or same-sex marriage? What is marriage itself? Marriage establishes a legal kinship between a person and his or her spouse. It is a relationship that is recognized across cultures, countries and religions. Civil unions and domestic partnerships address only some of the legal rights inherent with marriage, and these legal designations are only recognized within the borders of the state that granted them. Only marriage itself is recognized across state lines, by the federal government, and even across national borders.

You may not realize it, but there are more than 1,400 legal rights that are automatically conferred upon heterosexual married couples by virtue of a simple marriage license in the United States. By not being allowed to marry, gays and lesbians are denied these rights. Even in the state of Massachusetts, one of a handful of U.S. states with legalized gay marriage, most of the benefits of marriage do not apply, because the Defense of Marriage Act states that the federal government only recognizes marriage as "a legal union of one man and one woman as husband and wife".

Here are some of the legal rights that married couples have and gays and lesbians are denied:

1. Joint parental rights of children
2. Joint adoption
3. Status as "next-of-kin" for hospital visits and medical decisions
4. Right to make a decision about the disposal of loved ones remains
5. Immigration and residency for partners from other countries
6. Crime victims recovery benefits
7. Domestic violence protection orders
8. Judicial protections and immunity
9. Automatic inheritance in the absence of a will
10. Public safety officers death benefits
11. Spousal veterans benefits
12. Social Security
13. Medicare
14. Joint filing of tax returns
15. Wrongful death benefits for surviving partner and children
16. Bereavement or sick leave to care for partner or children
17. Child support
18. Joint Insurance Plans
19. Tax credits including: Child tax credit, Hope and lifetime learning credits
20. Deferred Compensation for pension and IRAs
21. Estate and gift tax benefits
22. Welfare and public assistance
23. Joint housing for elderly
24. Credit protection
25. Medical care for survivors and dependents of certain veterans

Midtowner
8/2/2012, 04:11 PM
2nd part:

These are just a few of the 1,400 state and federal benefits that gays and lesbians are denied by not being able to marry. Most of these benefits cannot be privately arranged or contracted for within the legal system, and those that can be privately arranged or contracted for will cost me a hell of lot more than the $60 it costs to get a marriage license here in Clark County, Nevada. Much like an extremely complicated general partnership in business or even a standard franchise agreement with Chick-fil-A, it would undoubtedly cost me thousands of dollars in attorney consultations to have any of these benefits privately arranged or contracted for.

For a more exhaustive list of areas of federal law that apply unequally between married couples and couples who cannot legally marry, please reference a pretty comprehensive 1997 letter from the General Accounting Office to the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee discussing the matter which you can find at http://www.gao.gov/archive/1997/og97016.pdf.

There are six predominant arguments AGAINST gay marriage that I’m sure you are keeping one or more of fresh in your mind as a retort as you are reading this letter. Here’s what they are and also why they fail:

Gay marriage violates tradition.

Yes, most cultures have defined marriage as the union of one man and one woman for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. But tradition is a mixed bag. It includes slavery and grotesque exploitation of workers. It also includes the denial of rights to women and the execution of those who committed thought and property crimes. Traditionally, we have cast aside the disabled and righteously persecuted those with differing religious views. Integrating a society and expanding human rights has always shattered tradition, and we have consistently been better off for it. Many of the same biblical arguments used to oppose same-sex marriage were also used in earlier modern history to deny interracial marriage.

Gay couples can't produce children.

Marriage provides a legal framework that strengthens that union for the benefit of all. But that's not all marriage is, by any means, which is why the law generally allows prisoners to marry even when they're likely never to be released, has no bar against elderly couples getting married, imposes no fertility requirements on prospective marriage partners and considers long-term childless marriages equal to others.

Further, lesbian couples often get pregnant (with outside help, admittedly, but many heterosexual couples get outside help as well) and their families could benefit as well from the legal framework of marriage.

Having a mom and a dad is better for children than having two moms or two dads.

Making that case won't be easy. Studies show little developmental or social difference between children raised by heterosexual parents and children raised by homosexual parents. In fact, a 2010 study in the journal Pediatrics found that children of lesbians scored better in such areas as self esteem, behavior and academic performance than children of straight parents.

Second, even if we concede for the sake of discussion that a stable, loving opposite-gender couple is the gold standard for parenting, it's otherwise offensive to deny those who fall short of the gold standard the right to marry.

I think it is safe to say that having two parents that are drug-free, gainfully employed, debt-free, and certifiably sane is better for children than having even one parent lacking one or more of these virtues, but none of these attributes has ever been used as a legal or moral standard for those who should have the right to marry and/or bear children.

Legalizing same-sex marriage will put us on the slippery slope toward legalizing polygamy.

The practical and philosophical arguments both for and against multiple-partner marriages are largely distinct from the arguments both for and against marriage equality. Historians find that it destabilizes a society when some men take many wives and leave large numbers of other men without the opportunity to mate. Despite this finding by historians, polygamy is evident in multiple places in the Bible, even though you and I probably agree that it should not be legalized.

Same-sex marriage does not fundamentally alter the basic idea of two people agreeing to unite for life and taking on the responsibilities and privileges of that agreement.

Proposals to legalize multiple-partner marriages, should they ever seriously arise in the legislatures and the courts, would be considered separately from laws regarding single-partner marriages, just as the law now considers alcohol separately from crack cocaine, and hasn't slid helplessly down the slope to legalize them both.

Same-sex marriage trivializes and therefore weakens the institution of heterosexual marriage.

This argument almost seems irrelevant now that we have seen state after state allow same-sex couples to marry with no documented repercussions to straight marriage or conventional families.

Philosophically, the fervor with which same-sex couples demand to be granted the dignity and respect of legal marriage underscores the value of marriage and ought to remind straight couples not to take it lightly or for granted.

The ease and frivolity with which opposite-gender couples are allowed to marry and also divorce in this country are the REAL threats to the institution of heterosexual marriage. Allowing for more loving couples to marry and serve as a beacon of hope for those heterosexuals and homosexuals who have yet to find their soulmate or life partner would indeed strengthen the institution of marriage rather than weaken it.

Homosexual behavior is immoral and ought not be encouraged.

What is the meaning of immoral? The definition of moral is “concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.” Immoral is understandably the opposite of this. Who are we to judge what is right and wrong behavior between two consenting adults?

"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

Leviticus 20:13 seems to be the crutch that is leaned on by opponents to same-sex marriage as the standard bearer for what is moral and immoral. But the Bible is ignored by most of modern American society when it comes to the following pretty clear biblical laws:

"For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother. His blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

It is a crime in the United States to kill your kid because he or she mouths off to you.

"If a man lies with a woman during her sickness and uncovers her nakedness, he has discovered her flow, and she has uncovered the flow of her blood. Both of them shall be cut off from her people." (Leviticus 20:18)

No one is prosecuted or excommunicated in the United States over having sex during menstruation, and this is probably because what happens in the bedroom is largely considered to be private and none of anyone’s business.

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." (Leviticus 25:44-45)

This part of the Bible was largely responsible for the “moral” justification for slavery in America until (and, unfortunately, for many years after) the Emancipation Proclamation in the 1860s. It’s amazing how time heals all “moral” arguments. Can’t we just skip all the decades of bridging understanding between same-sex marriage opponents and proponents and just cut to the chase with regard to allowing for equal rights for all? Hopefully it won’t take another civil war for America to work out its differences on this one before it’s all over.

"Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard." (Leviticus 19:27)

This reference to shaving and trimming sideburns has certainly been disregarded for all of the modern era. It would be quite the job killer for all the barber shops in America (including the ones in Walmarts) to have to close up shop because some nutjob decides to pick up this “moral” issue and run with it in order to get elected to public office in Minnesota or something. Who is the “moral” authority that gets to pick and choose which parts of Leviticus are relevant? And if some are no longer relevant to society and largely disregarded by American society and even Christians in general, why not bite the bullet and allow same-sex marriage to be included on that list?

"At the end of every seven years you must cancel debts." (Deuteronomy 15:1)

This Bible verse can’t even be understood or comprehended in the current context of American society, which is why it is and should be disregarded. But this verse is no more relevant to modern American society than Leviticus 20:13.

Here are a few more disregarded gems from the Bible:

"If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of the town. They shall say to the elders, 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard.' Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death..." (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

"...do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear material woven of two kinds of material." (Leviticus 19:19)

I think you get the picture. I understand and appreciate if your religious tradition does not want to bless same-sex marriage or celebrate it or even like it. There is a fine line between personal morality and judgment in the eyes of the law. There are matters of the heart and of personal conduct that are your business and those that are none of your business.

Homosexual conduct itself has been legal since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down anti-sodomy laws in 2003. And if anything, encouraging same-sex couples to commit to one another for life will decrease promiscuous behavior among gay people, should that be of particular concern.

It was not your decision for your franchisor, Chick-fil-A, to come out in opposition to marriage equality. But please don’t celebrate or endorse it without recognizing how deeply and how irreparably it harms and affects the lives of real people that are actually in your life. I’m sure there are many more gay people in your life than just me. You may not even realize it. They might not even realize it (yet). Would you deny these rights to your own children or a beloved family member if they ever came to you one day with a revelation that they are gay?

This is way more than just politics that same-sex marriage opponents are expounding their views on so publicly and so virulently. You and I can agree or disagree on tax policy, economic policy, states rights, military funding, education funding, healthcare mandates, or hundreds of other issues. Those are political discussions and both sides of each argument are partially right. What will prevail in most cases is some legislative compromise that throws each side a bone.

This is NOT the case with regard to same-sex marriage. Denying me and Peter any of the 1,400 federal rights and privileges that any two opposite-gender people can enjoy for the cost of a $60 marriage license is wrong. It is unfair. It makes me effectively a second-class citizen despite contributing to society just as much or as little as you do. If you disagree that I should be denied these rights and that no one should be relegated to second-class citizen status just for loving someone who is of the same gender, then please consider expressing your support for marriage equality, much like Anthony Piccola is doing in Nashua, New Hampshire. http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2012/08/01/chick_fil_a_manager_in_nh_to_help_gay_pride_fest/

I hope you can take my comments to heart and reconsider any overt or covert endorsement or support for the positions that have been made clear by your franchisor and also many of your customers and friends. I wish nothing but the best for you, your beautiful family, and your business. I hope you feel the same about me.

Cordially, Sincerely, and Fraternally,

Dave
http://www.gao.gov/archive/1997/og97016.pdf
www.gao.gov

jkjsooner
8/2/2012, 04:43 PM
I certainly did not choose to be gay. It can’t possibly be a choice. Why would anyone choose to be regarded as a second-class citizen and have to plan travel itineraries around gay-friendly versus gay-hostile cities and towns? Why would anyone choose to disappoint family members who most likely expected children from me by my mid-20s and are still waiting and will have to keep waiting until I can muster the funds to either adopt or conceive through egg donors and surrogacy?

This is the part I think more people should read. I just can't fathom how people could believe that someone chooses to be gay.

As a straight person I definitely did not choose to be straight. Basically biological instincts chose that for me. How anyone could think that there's a choice among gay men or women just confounds me.

Wishboned
8/2/2012, 05:03 PM

I order, and will continue to order, from Amazon. And if I want a chicken sandwich and Chick-Fil-A is close by then that's where I'm going. As long as they're not funding terrorists then I don't really care what they do with their money.

diverdog
8/2/2012, 05:11 PM

You need the proper terminology. They are not trailers but aluminum condominiums. At least that is what my gay friend calls his home at the beach.

cleller
8/2/2012, 06:41 PM
As a fan of a few one-horse restaurants/drive-ins I would like to start the rumor that the owners of Charcoal Oven in OKC, Pickup Taco in Altus, and La Roma Pizza in Tulsa have been unfairly scorned by liberal politicians. Please eat at these locations at your earliest convenience.

StoopTroup
8/2/2012, 11:49 PM
Even if I was to feel like expressing a belief that I felt Huckabee was right to promote a movement to show support for the Owner of Chick FIL A....I don't think I'd get in my vehicle and drive down to CFA in 120 degree heat so I can get my hands on two buttery buns that make up a c o c k Sammie with special sauce that runs all over my face and hands to show those damn Homos how I feel about the CFA CEO and Mike Huckabee's Radio show.

SoonerBread
8/3/2012, 02:06 AM
This was posted on my Facebook today. It lays the situation out pretty well. Agree with it 100%.

I sincerely hope that I never ever have a chance to benefit financially from your misfortune. More specifically, I hope I never have an opportunity to celebrate a banner day for my own small business while at the same time supporting or expressing appreciation for or agreement with any cause that restricts, revokes, withholds, or otherwise undermines any of the civil rights that you or your loved ones enjoy or hope to enjoy in the future.

This particular passage rubs me the wrong way. It implies that CFA's owner/CEO stating his stance on gay marriage is somehow all of a sudden detrimental to the author's life. The only thing that really changed was that he said what most rational people thought he would say or would expect him to say. Think about it...CFA is closed on Sunday so the company's employees can attend church (not that they have to, but that in this way they are allowed to if they wish). How else would someone who runs his business that way believe? This "outrage" over what he said has been blown way out of proportion. Did gay people honestly think Truett Cathy was in favor of same-sex marriage? If they were of the opinion that he didn't have his own on the matter, then their "outrage" is understandable at the learning he gives money to like-minded organizations (but that's what rich dudes do - they fund causes). And to think that someone who has a differing opinion can't state said opinion without it ruining others' lives is laughable. He has as much right to say what he wants as anyone else has to disagree with what he says. Just because he runs a business doesn't remove his right to his opinion, and it certainly doesn't remove his right to state his opinion. He doesn't make policy, except as it applies to CFA. And he can't make CFA policies that discriminate against gay people, not that he even would. He doesn't write laws, vote on bills, adjudicate the constitutionality of issues brought before him. He just makes lots of money running a business, and running it well, which has nothing to do with anything other than running his business.

You mean there's some angst over the proprieter of a Christian-based company stating his Christian-based view on some hot button item like same-sex marriage? Get outta town! Disagree with the man all you want - boycott his restaurants, whatever. But the face slap portion of this "letter" I quoted above reeks of panty-waisted hand wringing. Oh yeah, I'm sure the thought was, "hey, I got an idea. Let's p!ss off all the gay folks out there by stating my what-should-be-obvious-to-others-because-of-my-religious-slant views on same-sex marriage. That will really rile up the straight folks out there to 'Eat Mor Chikin.' It'll be a windfall!" Cathy was asked a question, and he answered it, much the way anyone who knows anything about CFA would expect him to answer it. If there's anyone the gay community should be upset with, it should be the people who ate at CFA on Wednesday solely because of what has been circulating on all the drive-by media programs. IMO, the franchise owners should be left outta this. Are they supposed to poll their patrons as they come in the door? "Are you here because you like our food or are you here because you oppose same-sex marriage?" Are they supposed to turn away customers because they happen to agree with Cathy? Is that what the gay community wants? Would that satiate them? To deny services to people the gay community doesn't see eye-to-eye with? Because I missed the part where CFA says they don't serve, or employ, gay people. If it's out there, I'd like to see it. I also missed the part where Cathy verbalized any hatred on the infamous radio program. He never once said he didn't like gay people. He never called them "second-class." He never demonized them. He never said they should be sent to gulag or to a deserted island to live in exile. He said he believes in and supports the idea of the traditional, Biblical definition of marriage, between a man and a woman. That's his stance. What he thinks is right, may not be. But that's what he thinks. And all this nit picking over "well what's traditional, anyway?" is just arguing semantics. Traditional simply means what is and has been the popular or the conventional arrangement. Although gay marriage is not new, to think it falls within the confines of what societies and cultures have viewed as traditional is just being argumentative. He didn't say gay couples couldn't be good parents or good partners or any of that. He just said he believes marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Is that hate? Does that mean his sandwiches taste like crap now? I'm not a fan of CFA - it's whatever. I don't think this fiasco will change how much I frequent the joint.

I've got a gay man in my life. I don't agree with his choice in lifestyle, but I certainly don't hate him - I love him. He and his partner love each other and treat each other with about as much respect and honor and dignity as any hetero- couple would. And why wouldn't they? They're civilized human beings. But that's not what this is all about. Should they be allowed to marry? That's not for me to answer, even though if they did I don't think that fits within the boundaries of what I consider a traditional marriage. Does that mean they shouldn't? I don't care if they do. It's his and his partner's life. He knows where I stand, and he knows it's not hate. I sent him a text about this whole CFA issue, about what he thought about what Cathy said. His response: "Well duh. Hes a superchristian. How else would he answer..."

C&CDean
8/3/2012, 08:39 AM
Sheezus. You wanna know what's really gay? This POS thread. Who gives a **** about Chick Filet? Who gives a **** what the owner thinks/says? Some of y'all are ****ing whack jobs.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/3/2012, 08:49 AM
the problem isn't with him stating his beliefs. the problem is with him using chick-fil-a profits to donate money to groups that seek the legal discrimination of gay people. i wonder how many of these people would have the balls to support him if he was donating money to the KKK?

It is his private foundation, he can do whatever he wants with his money. No one bitches when Sean Penn or others take their money and fund Chavez or Iranians??? No mention of vitriol for them. You don't want your money supporting that cause, don't go to Chik-Fil-A. I don't pay to see movies by Liberal Hollywood ******s.

P.S. That guy that ragged on the nice Chik-Fil-A window attendant. Well he was a CFO of some AZ medical company. I say WAS, he was fired yesterday. Karma baby!

sooneron
8/3/2012, 11:50 AM
I don't care if you are gay or not please stay away.

Yep, like I said. Nothing will change. Stay away!! YOu think differently!

**** off

C&CDean
8/3/2012, 01:15 PM

**** off

Seriously? WTF is wrong with you?

What is it about people who leave Oklahoma and move off to some "enlightened" area/state - then think everyone here is a racist/bigot/homophobe because we didn't vote for Obama? I'm sorry if you, or your family, or your friends were racists/bigots/homophobes before you left here and acquired your enlightened outlook on things. Not all of us here are any of those things. In fact, most of us here are none of those things.

Wait. I said fag. I said queer. I said n i g g e r. That automatically means I'm one of the above? Wrong again sensei. That's what's wrong with you lefties. Rather than judge a person by their actions and deeds, you choose to judge them by the language they use. You are all on some PC witch hunt to find a person saying something that someone might be able to use as ammo in the hunt.

If a black person can say it, so can I. If a gay person can say it, so can I. WTF is the difference?

Finally, what is it with you people who think this guy is a nut/POS/whatever you think he is for stating his opinion - yet the ****ing idiots in the media who state their equally polarizing opinions on a topic are all righteous and ****? This Rahm dude is right on. But the Chick filet guy needs to be executed. You ****ers have jumped the shark. Gone off the deep end. One flew over the cuckoos nest. And so on...

olevetonahill
8/3/2012, 01:29 PM
Dean, you forgot

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/9/128680401959650917.jpg

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2012, 01:29 PM
i've seen quite a few of the anti-CFA types tossing around the word bigot

here's whats hilarious

the definition of bigot is: a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

i guess i dont see the difference between the intolerance of the pro-gay marriage crowd of my differing belief - than i am of theirs

i guess we're both bigots huh?

call me silly for having lunch at CFA on Wednesday - but i did so proudly - and i think a silent majority went out in droves to say "we've had enough".....was it the greatest form of voicing their opinion? perhaps not - but it's hard to ignore it

oudanny
8/3/2012, 01:45 PM
The first amendment is a beautiful thing.

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2012, 01:45 PM
i havent posted here much lately- but has midtowner always been so long winded?

he's putting BRJ to shame....

sooneron
8/3/2012, 02:00 PM
Nothing

What is it about people who leave Oklahoma and move off to some "enlightened" area/state - then think everyone here is a racist/bigot/homophobe because we didn't vote for Obama? I'm sorry if you, or your family, or your friends were racists/bigots/homophobes before you left here and acquired your enlightened outlook on things. Not all of us here are any of those things. In fact, most of us here are none of those things.

MOST are not, the issue is the how many that are and the platform that they enjoy. I heave heard your "views" on homosexual people, whereby you suddenly throw on a clinical psychologist's hat saying things like defective. That is a bigger issue than saying you hate fags. No one should hear themselves called defective. Ever wonder why gay people off themselves in intolerant areas more than ones that are accepting? I knew plenty of gay people before I moved away from OK. Thanks for trying the old "projecting" card tho.

Wait. I said fag. I said queer. I said n i g g e r. That automatically means I'm one of the above? Wrong again sensei. That's what's wrong with you lefties. Rather than judge a person by their actions and deeds, you choose to judge them by the language they use. You are all on some PC witch hunt to find a person saying something that someone might be able to use as ammo in the hunt.

If a black person can say it, so can I. If a gay person can say it, so can I. WTF is the difference?
Yeah, I hear gay people use the term fag all the time :rolleyes:

Finally, what is it with you people who think this guy is a nut/POS/whatever you think he is for stating his opinion - yet the ****ing idiots in the media who state their equally polarizing opinions on a topic are all righteous and ****? This Rahm dude is right on. But the Chick filet guy needs to be executed. You ****ers have jumped the shark. Gone off the deep end. One flew over the cuckoos nest. And so on...

His opinions started the ball rolling on the whole thing. which led people (myself included) to his "gift giving" to groups that misinform the public to create a hysteria seeking to condemn people just so they get out to vote for whatever right candidate is on the ballot. Not to mention the whole Pray the Gay away groups that heavily **** people up. Oh yeah, where did I SAY that I thought Rahm was in the right? As a matter of ****ing fact, I agreed with Sic em on that whole part when it comes to businesses having rights.

Fraggle145
8/3/2012, 02:05 PM
Sheezus. You wanna know what's really gay? This POS thread. Who gives a **** about Chick Filet? Who gives a **** what the owner thinks/says? Some of y'all are ****ing whack jobs.

first. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?169413-Chick-Fil-A-Appreciation-Day-is-a-big-hit-in-OKC-and-throughout-the-USA!&p=3493498&viewfull=1#post3493498)

stoops the eternal pimp
8/3/2012, 02:13 PM
boner

Sooner24
8/3/2012, 02:25 PM

**** off

Angry much Ron? And yes please stay far, far away!

Fraggle145
8/3/2012, 02:31 PM
boner
boing oing oing

stoops the eternal pimp
8/3/2012, 02:48 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nA8t7ZFEOBI/S4QAnOGRb8I/AAAAAAAAAuQ/ws79LBG7XmU/s400/BonerStabone.png

JohnnyMack
8/3/2012, 04:23 PM
Dean, what time are we meeting up for open mouth kissing at Chick-Fil-A?

jkjsooner
8/3/2012, 04:49 PM
i've seen quite a few of the anti-CFA types tossing around the word bigot

here's whats hilarious

the definition of bigot is: a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

i guess i dont see the difference between the intolerance of the pro-gay marriage crowd of my differing belief - than i am of theirs

This argument is a slippery slope. Am I a bigot for saying a Nazi supporter is a bigot, and would the person calling me a bigot for saying Nazi supporters are bigots be a bigot himself?

(And for anyone who may not comprehend my point, I'm not calling anyone a Nazi or comparing anyone to Nazis.)

jkjsooner
8/3/2012, 04:55 PM
No one should hear themselves called defective.

Call it what you want but some people are born slightly defective. Heck, maybe we all are. A person who is born with a condition that is considered a birth defect might just take offense to gays thinking that the idea that their condition might be a defect is something to be ashamed of.

Most likely there is a physiological cause to homosexuality whether it's genetic or a hormonal difference in the womb. Whether that is a defect is strictly up to one's definition of the term. In either case, being "defective" is not something to be ashamed of.

8timechamps
8/3/2012, 06:13 PM
I can't remember a more media-driven scenario in my lifetime (I'm sure there have been plenty, but this one stands out).

I probably eat at Chick-fil-a once a year, so my effect on their bottom line is minuscule, but I'm not going to stay away from Chick-fil-a because their CEO is against gay marriage. It has nothing to do with whether or not I agree with what the CEO said (and I don't), but if I start only spending money at businesses that share my opinions 100%, I'm going to find myself with a lot of extra money and no goods/services. (maybe that's a good idea).

StoopTroup
8/3/2012, 06:57 PM
I don't eat there because the owner is Mormon.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/3/2012, 07:31 PM
Call it what you want but some people are born slightly defective. Heck, maybe we all are. A person who is born with a condition that is considered a birth defect might just take offense to gays thinking that the idea that their condition might be a defect is something to be ashamed of.

Most likely there is a physiological cause to homosexuality whether it's genetic or a hormonal difference in the womb. Whether that is a defect is strictly up to one's definition of the term. In either case, being "defective" is not something to be ashamed of.

exactly. They used to convert left-handed people into becoming right-handed cause they were defective.

olevetonahill
8/3/2012, 08:51 PM
I don't eat there because the owner is Mormon.
Hes a Baptist

rock on sooner
8/3/2012, 09:01 PM
Only issue I got is that he went major public, my guess is
to drive sales (it worked.) No problem at all with his viewpoint
but he made it an issue where it doesn't belong....JMO.

sooneron
8/3/2012, 09:07 PM
No. Why would I stay away from the state where I was born? A state where my family contributed a great deal to the culture. Sorry, you don't get to decide who comes or goes just b/c their viewpoint is different than yours.

olevetonahill
8/3/2012, 09:12 PM
Only issue I got is that he went major public, my guess is
to drive sales (it worked.) No problem at all with his viewpoint
but he made it an issue where it doesn't belong....JMO.
And you would be wrong
He was asked his views about Gay marriage in an Interview by th Baptist Press a religious Publication. It was then seized on by the Loud Mouths on the Left and the Main stream media

Heres an article about it
http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=38424

FRANKLIN, Tenn. (BP) -- By now the story is well-known: Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy, who is a Christian, expressed personal support for traditional marriage in an interview posted by Baptist Press from North Carolina Baptists' Biblical Recorder newsjournal. Cathy's statements unleashed charges of Chick-fil-A being "anti-gay" amid a torrent of vitriol toward a company that by every measure has been a model corporate citizen.

rock on sooner
8/3/2012, 09:18 PM
Okay, my bad, I thought he gave his opinion unsolicited. I'm
off base, BUT, I think he used poor judgement. He could have
approached it differently, without so much controversy.

Unrelated, I'm sitting here watching the prelims for the
womens 100m. Wow, the chicks are fast!

olevetonahill
8/3/2012, 09:33 PM
Okay, my bad, I thought he gave his opinion unsolicited. I'm
off base, BUT, I think he used poor judgement. He could have
approached it differently, without so much controversy.

Unrelated, I'm sitting here watching the prelims for the
womens 100m. Wow, the chicks are fast!

Are they Fil A fast?

rock on sooner
8/3/2012, 09:39 PM
Are they Fil A fast?

Ima guessin they git off the griddle fast, no oil er nuthin...

Pricetag
8/3/2012, 11:05 PM
call me silly for having lunch at CFA on Wednesday - but i did so proudly - and i think a silent majority went out in droves to say "we've had enough".....was it the greatest form of voicing their opinion? perhaps not - but it's hard to ignore it
I disagree. That was no "silent" majority. I think the type of folks who ate there that day have been raising as much easy hell as they possibly can for the past several years. E-mail forwards, message boards, Facebook, all that stuff. Heading out to Chik-Fil-A was just another way to do it.

Sooner24
8/3/2012, 11:12 PM
No. Why would I stay away from the state where I was born? A state where my family contributed a great deal to the culture. Sorry, you don't get to decide who comes or goes just b/c their viewpoint is different than yours.

PRETTY PLEASE.

Chuck Bao
8/4/2012, 04:49 AM

Well, that's a valid opinion. On the other hand, I feel that I can make fun of myself with some pretty bad language, using the worst slurs, and I often do that because I'm trying to be funny. Besides that, I probably deserve it. But when other people start making fun of me, I may not know their intentions and it may no longer be fun or funny, especially as others pick up on that as be acceptable.

Since I don't ever want to condone others using derogatory and hateful words, I won't use them either in the future.

Yeah, I take this whole issue way too personal. How could one not since the rights and protection provided to other Americans are denied?

Language is all we have to go on when reading a message board.

olevetonahill
8/4/2012, 06:15 AM
Bees in his bonnet? No clue about that nor am I interested in associating with anyone using the Q or F words. Why would anyone feel that it's okay using those words?

Well, that's a valid opinion. On the other hand, I feel that I can make fun of myself with some pretty bad language, using the worst slurs, and I often do that because I'm trying to be funny. Besides that, I probably deserve it. But when other people start making fun of me, I may not know their intentions and it may no longer be fun or funny, especially as others pick up on that as be acceptable.

Since I don't ever want to condone others using derogatory and hateful words, I won't use them either in the future.

Yeah, I take this whole issue way too personal. How could one not since the rights and protection provided to other Americans are denied?

Language is all we have to go on when reading a message board.

So George let me make sure I have this right

Something You and I have done for years (Joking with each other) is NOW wrong?
Thanks for letting me know that YOU changed the rules and No longer want to associate with me. Thats fine
However, YOU know that ever since YOU came out on the board here that I have had your back. I defended your use of that avatar.
Oh well Like I said Thanks for the heads up that the rules changed and IF you no longer want to associate with People Like Dean and I then I hope you have a Nice life

jk the sooner fan
8/4/2012, 07:31 AM
I disagree. That was no "silent" majority. I think the type of folks who ate there that day have been raising as much easy hell as they possibly can for the past several years. E-mail forwards, message boards, Facebook, all that stuff. Heading out to Chik-Fil-A was just another way to do it.

i see your point and agree - but the mass media and the rest of the country dont see those emails, etc - all combined as one......maybe silent wasnt the right word......but i got a better sense of just how big that group was

jk the sooner fan
8/4/2012, 09:02 AM
This argument is a slippery slope. Am I a bigot for saying a Nazi supporter is a bigot, and would the person calling me a bigot for saying Nazi supporters are bigots be a bigot himself?

(And for anyone who may not comprehend my point, I'm not calling anyone a Nazi or comparing anyone to Nazis.)

you're attaching a human emotion to the definition that isnt in the definition itself......of course the word itself has taken on its own meaning in our current culture

it's like calling somebody ignorant - it simply means that the person is uneducated on a given topic........but it's interpreted to mean "you're stupid"

olevetonahill
8/4/2012, 09:05 AM
you're attaching a human emotion to the definition that isnt in the definition itself......of course the word itself has taken on its own meaning in our current culture

it's like calling somebody ignorant - it simply means that the person is uneducated on a given topic........but it's interpreted to mean "you're stupid"

You wanta coke?

jk the sooner fan
8/4/2012, 09:08 AM
You wanta coke?

dont be an ignorant bigot

olevetonahill
8/4/2012, 10:14 AM
dont be an ignorant bigot

:friendly_wink:

jkjsooner
8/4/2012, 02:58 PM
Wait. I said fag. I said queer. I said n i g g e r. That automatically means I'm one of the above? Wrong again sensei. That's what's wrong with you lefties. Rather than judge a person by their actions and deeds, you choose to judge them by the language they use.

How is using offensive language not an action? Do you honestly think only lefties are concerned about the use of offensive language?

sanantoniosooner
8/4/2012, 10:04 PM
Is it true they were giving out sandwiches for $3 bills?

olevetonahill
8/4/2012, 10:14 PM
Is it true they were giving out sandwiches for $3 bills?

I see what you did there :excitement:

StoopTroup
8/4/2012, 11:12 PM
Hes a Baptist

http://net.onextrapixel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hook.jpg

Chuck Bao
8/5/2012, 12:20 AM
So George let me make sure I have this right

Something You and I have done for years (Joking with each other) is NOW wrong?
Thanks for letting me know that YOU changed the rules and No longer want to associate with me. Thats fine
However, YOU know that ever since YOU came out on the board here that I have had your back. I defended your use of that avatar.
Oh well Like I said Thanks for the heads up that the rules changed and IF you no longer want to associate with People Like Dean and I then I hope you have a Nice life

No problem. Glad that we got that cleared up.

If anyone cares to take 2-3 minutes to understand why I'm so angry, read the commentary at this link. It perfectly expresses my views on the subject - that this one rather average fast food franchise with a clever PR campaign is donating money to organizations that are hellbent on denying me my rights.

http://www.owldolatrous.com/?p=288

Dean is right that actions speak louder than words. To use a Deanism, I feel like people are peeing on me and telling me that it is just a rain shower.

StoopTroup
8/5/2012, 12:46 AM
As long as you aren't Mormon I'll still be your friend G. ; ^ )

StoopTroup
8/5/2012, 12:51 AM
I only have two rules...

1) There is no rules

2) See Rule #1

LMAO

StoopTroup
8/5/2012, 12:58 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Xeh_ulfOl3g/UBAEFWPK4uI/AAAAAAAABGI/PmySs1ZUTf0/s1600/20120725chiken.jpg

Chuck Bao
8/5/2012, 01:20 AM
As long as you aren't Mormon I'll still be your friend G. ; ^ )

Appreciate that, G. No, I'm not a Mormon, but I very much respect one poster here who is. Isn't it odd how some can read scripture and see rules and others can understand and live the spiritual part of it, regardless of the scripture and religious faith.

StoopTroup
8/5/2012, 04:44 AM
Appreciate that, G. No, I'm not a Mormon, but I very much respect one poster here who is. Isn't it odd how some can read scripture and see rules and others can understand and live the spiritual part of it, regardless of the scripture and religious faith.

I couldnt agree more and yeah....he's a darn good guy just like you and by now he knows that I don't hate Mormons...just the ones that try to limit how many Wives I can have. Only I know how many is to many, thats why I choose to have only one. LMAO

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2012, 10:22 AM

so if i read what you're saying correctly - you'd rather I read/interpret scripture to suit you - than to to read/interpret it as I'm taught by my spiritual leader?

olevetonahill
8/5/2012, 10:31 AM
http://net.onextrapixel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hook.jpg

Well aint you just the clever lunatic :witless:

Chuck Bao
8/6/2012, 02:27 AM
so if i read what you're saying correctly - you'd rather I read/interpret scripture to suit you - than to to read/interpret it as I'm taught by my spiritual leader?

Of course I'm not saying that. My point was about what unites us across various religious faiths - the overriding and universal message of love, faith, compassion and charity as carried down from our various inspired scripture.

This is just my opinion which I most certainly do not intend to reintrepret for anyone else. It is just the opposite. But, I also do not believe that a certain one religion has all the answers and suited for everyone with only one way to have a personal relationship with God and only one way into heaven.

Look at the biker and cowboy churches popping up all over Oklahoma. They are less strict on the religious dogma part and more about the spirituality of worship, praise and daily walking and living the Christian life. I love that.

I've traveled around the world and I believe that I've seen some walk a spiritual path via various different religious faiths and then I've seen others (again various religious faiths) who want to make a big deal about it. I'm not their judge and I hope they aren't judging me.

yermom
8/6/2012, 05:27 AM
I just don't understand why anyone cares who is sleeping with or marrying whom. Somehow Adam and Steve getting married means jk isn't going to heaven?

I guess I could understand jk telling Adam and Steve that they are going to hell, but why does jk find it so important for jk to make it illegal for them to be married?

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2012, 06:58 AM
Of course I'm not saying that. My point was about what unites us across various religious faiths - the overriding and universal message of love, faith, compassion and charity as carried down from our various inspired scripture.

This is just my opinion which I most certainly do not intend to reintrepret for anyone else. It is just the opposite. But, I also do not believe that a certain one religion has all the answers and suited for everyone with only one way to have a personal relationship with God and only one way into heaven.

Look at the biker and cowboy churches popping up all over Oklahoma. They are less strict on the religious dogma part and more about the spirituality of worship, praise and daily walking and living the Christian life. I love that.

I've traveled around the world and I believe that I've seen some walk a spiritual path via various different religious faiths and then I've seen others (again various religious faiths) who want to make a big deal about it. I'm not their judge and I hope they aren't judging me.

there are a lot of churches, congregations, denominations that cater to specific crowds - no doubt.....and i never claimed that one religion is "right" - i'm sure your comment wasn't directed at me specifically

however, to believe the faith tradition that i have chosen, calls for me to believe certain things.....1) that there are no other Gods - which means it is the one religion.....and that it's not for me to cut and paste which parts of the bible i believe and follow and which ones i do not...it's an all or nothing for me - otherwise whats the point?

i'm on the fence with the whole gay marriage thing - i have several gay friends (good friends).....my church tells me that homosexuality is a sin....but then my church tells me that i'm a sinner too. i dont think my friends feel like their lifestyle is a sin - it's who they are and i don't have an issue with that........it's really between them and their God

as for the marriage part.....i'm of the firm belief that the courts is where the LGBT community needs to solely focus their efforts (not in Chick Fil A kiss in's, or any other public displays) The courts are eventually going to rule in favor of this - but our congress has not seen fit to even write law that includes sexual orientation as a protected class in a Title 7 discrimination complaint.....i think thats coming, either by written law or thru a precedent decision in a court somewhere.

My faith tradition tells me that marriage is between a man and a woman..scripture is pretty clear on marriage.....it also says that ALL sinner's receive the same grace if they believe, accept, etc.....i've never told anybody they're going to hell (i've wished it on a few :) )

I think its ok that there are some things in our society that aren't for everybody...

personally i wish government would get out of marriage completely. let the churches do marriage and government can recognize civil unions (for legal purposes) between any two people who live together

so - i believe that eventually the courts will rule on a marriage equality issue and the LGBT community will be happy......that doesn't mean i agree with it or support it - but i also wont spend much time fretting over it either.

i think the one failing of the LGBT community ( and the CFA outpouring of support kind of illustrates it) - is that you're not going to change the opinions of a MASS of people in the manner you're trying too.....there is a HUGE population that has a belief system instilled in them from birth - based on a centuries old faith tradition.....changing those opinions would be like trying to convince them that they are no longer American citizens.....they've had that ingrained in them since birth. I also think the LGBT community believes they have a larger percentage of the population than they actually do

once the courts change this - eventually people will move on to other issues.

StoopTroup
8/6/2012, 07:23 AM
Now that Corporations are people, you won't see any legislation. It will conflict with the new Corporate way of life. Corporations are full of PC Police and any comment you would make working within a Corporation is hate speak no matter whether you are CEO or the mailroom guy.

The SCOTUS is responsible for this.

America has been changed by Corporate Greed as well as Corporate bullying.

You want to legislate the problem? Make a law that doesn't require you to disclose how much you give to Political Campaigns just make sure all donations go to a Federal or State Fund that all who are running can equally ask for their share of the fund. I know that will make folks heads explode but when the SCOTUS made Corporations People....America was changed forever. Your religion is your paycheck now and unless your religion is a Joel Olstean type of Religion of the day, God Bless the many that don't promote a greedy way of Christian Life and instead promote giving and a modest way of Family Life.

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2012, 08:22 AM
i should add - that i do realize there are many who profess the Christian faith that will toss around the hellfire and brimstone towards the LGBT community....i dont ignore the fact that many are a little more fervent in directing their own beliefs towards others

StoopTroup
8/6/2012, 08:46 AM
i should add - that i do realize there are many who profess the Christian faith that will toss around the hellfire and brimstone towards the LGBT community....i dont ignore the fact that many are a little more fervent in directing their own beliefs towards others

That's cool. It's kind of why I have an open mind about it all. When you see someone who professes to be a Christian leave Sunday Services and then go into a Road Rage in their car because someone in a Prius with a rainbow bumper sticker cut them off in traffic...

It makes you wonder what in the World was being preached that day.

One of the biggest things I learned working in a place with 5000-10,000 people is that it's best to keep your personal views to yourself and always avoid saying or doing anything that might hurt someone's feelings. Walking around trying to save the World will lead to you being Crucified. I think Jesus proved that theory very well.

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2012, 08:55 AM
That's cool. It's kind of why I have an open mind about it all. When you see someone who professes to be a Christian leave Sunday Services and then go into a Road Rage in their car because someone in a Prius with a rainbow bumper sticker cut them off in traffic...

It makes you wonder what in the World was being preached that day.

One of the biggest things I learned working in a place with 5000-10,000 people is that it's best to keep your personal views to yourself and always avoid saying or doing anything that might hurt someone's feelings. Walking around trying to save the World will lead to you being Crucified. I think Jesus proved that theory very well.

it doesnt make me wonder about anything...we're all imperfect and we all fall well short of what is expected.....just because somebody goes to a sunday service, doesnt mean you should expect him to be perfect for any period of time

StoopTroup
8/6/2012, 08:59 AM
it doesnt make me wonder about anything...we're all imperfect and we all fall well short of what is expected.....just because somebody goes to a sunday service, doesnt mean you should expect him to be perfect for any period of time I don't. My point was that it happens and hopefully he won't hurt anyone and after he calms down...he'll ask for forgiveness.

Once you admit your not perfect, forgiveness can happen.

Hopefully running some gay person off the road after service wasn't what was being preached that Sunday.

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2012, 09:04 AM
i promised myself i wouldnt get into any "back and forth" discussions with you - there's just not enough tylenol

enjoy the thread!!!!

StoopTroup
8/6/2012, 09:10 AM
LMAO

I just hope you can forgive yourself for it.

Also for having thoughts of buying a Prius. :D

usmc-sooner
8/6/2012, 06:06 PM
One of the biggest things I learned working in a place with 5000-10,000 people is that it's best to keep your personal views to yourself and always avoid saying or doing anything that might hurt someone's feelings.

nm

C&CDean
8/6/2012, 08:11 PM
And. So. We've come full circle. Again. Meh.

StoopTroup
8/6/2012, 08:15 PM
and to lock those pain meds up!!! Just kidding. :P

These jabs from guys who know nothing about my life are hilarious and further cement what kind of worthless Human the Marines Have to Blue Boy out sometimes.

At least they never trained you to be honorable. They obviously knew it would never take.

Just Kidding

usmc-sooner
8/6/2012, 08:22 PM
Sorry I will delete my post.

C&CDean
8/6/2012, 08:32 PM
Why is drama so important to some folk? Sheez, ****ing Louise.

StoopTroup
8/6/2012, 08:33 PM
No need. I could care less. It's not like we are friends. You've never made an attempt to befriend me, why start now?

If any of those remarks were true and I complained it only serves to feed the childish behavior I experienced because of other folks misguided opinions of me.

Like they say in Nursery Rhymes....Sticks and Stones.

Fraggle145
8/6/2012, 09:21 PM
http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Daffy-Duck-masturbating.jpg

StoopTroup
8/6/2012, 10:01 PM
Im a Bugs Bunny man. I also grew up believing Hugh Hefner's Idea of Playboy Bunnies was good for America and our Economy. :D

http://rookery.s3.amazonaws.com/888500/888574_734c_625x1000.jpg

8timechamps
8/6/2012, 10:08 PM
I just don't understand why anyone cares who is sleeping with or marrying whom. Somehow Adam and Steve getting married means jk isn't going to heaven?

I guess I could understand jk telling Adam and Steve that they are going to hell, but why does jk find it so important for jk to make it illegal for them to be married?

This.

Why is it this specific issue that is under attack. Did they run out of other things to fight against?

Here's the bottom line, you can get married at a drive thru chapel in Vegas. I can become ordained a minister online and conduct marriages. If both of those things are "legal" and don't hurt the "traditional sanctuary of marriage", then allowing two people (regardless of gender) who love each other to get married shouldn't be an issue.

I like Chuck, and I have crazy respect for the LGBT community, but I can't promise that I won't stop at a chick-fil-a next February to grab a chicken sammich. Not for "supporting" the cause, but because I think it's a decent chicken sammy.

jk the sooner fan
8/6/2012, 10:37 PM
why is it under attack? :rolleyes:

you say that as if the issue were laying around, not being discussed, or brought up whatsoever - and the Christian Churches all got together and colluded to "go attack it"

quite the contrary - the LGBT community has been pushing this steadily - and they're getting resistance

the churches have no real power except in the voting booth.....the church can't stop the courts, they can't stop legislation.....they can voice their opinion and belief, just like you can on any given topic

Bourbon St Sooner
8/7/2012, 03:42 PM
You guys disappoint me. I expected pics of hot lesbians (if there is such a thing) kissing at chick fil a.

I want lesbians damn it!