PDA

View Full Version : Updated Roster: Habern not going to play; Franks, Hayes, Reynolds practice only

cvsooner
8/1/2012, 01:16 PM
From Soonersports.com:

"Senior center Ben Habern has opted to conclude his playing career due to lingering neck and back concerns. Habern started 30 contests at center during his career with the Sooners.

"An arm injury limited the Argyle, Texas, native to six starts a year ago after he opened all 14 games in 2010, earning All-Big 12 honorable mention honors from the Associated Press in the process. He was named to the All-Big 12 Freshman Team by ESPN.com in 2009.

"'Our coaching staff knows this was a difficult decision for Ben,' Stoops said. 'Ben has been a consummate leader for our team, both on and off the field. We appreciate the toughness that Ben has displayed, and we wish him the very best as he completes his education at OU.'

"Trey Franks, Quentin Hayes and Jaz Reynolds have all been reinstated to the roster for practice only, and will remain suspended indefinitely from participating in games. Kameel Jackson's suspension will be reviewed at the conclusion of the current academic session."

The roster: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/okla-m-footbl-mtt.html

JLEW1818
8/1/2012, 01:23 PM
Wow, Habern gone? This really hurts.

God Bless him.

zeke
8/1/2012, 01:24 PM
Damn, I just watched him on a SoonerSports video at the media days saing he was 100% and ready to go.

WTF???

stoops the eternal pimp
8/1/2012, 01:25 PM
That black monday thing was way overblown...Habern, though, is a huge loss..wow

rock on sooner
8/1/2012, 01:30 PM
At least it's early enough to be able to move Ikard back in
at center or however the coaches want to do it. Bet that
Ben was thinking of just that when he decided. Best of luck
to the young man, we will miss him!

cccasooner2
8/1/2012, 01:35 PM
27 Simon on roster, have to wait to see if here Thur. or Fri?

cccasooner2
8/1/2012, 01:36 PM
At least it's early enough to be able to move Ikard back in
at center or however the coaches want to do it. Bet that
Ben was thinking of just that when he decided. Best of luck
to the young man, we will miss him!

Hope Nila recovers soon from heart surgery as well

badger
8/1/2012, 01:42 PM
Damn, I just watched him on a SoonerSports video at the media days saing he was 100% and ready to go.

WTF???

He might have since gone to a doctor that might have said "One hit and you'll never walk again." It happened in WWE recently when the reigning world champion was going to main event a PPV, but instead, told the audience that his neck was so bad that he was going to have to immediately retire.

If that is the case, there is life after football and I'm sure that while it was a difficult decision, I hope he stays healthy going forward and gets a good education while he's at OU.

SoonerNomad
8/1/2012, 01:59 PM
Habern is a big loss. I was just running down a list of perceived strengths and weaknesses of the team for an FSU friend of mine and the experience on the offensive line was on the top of the list. It is now a little less of a strength.

I wish Habern well. He has been a valuable Sooner and seems like a class act.

SoonerofAlabama
8/1/2012, 02:02 PM
I heard on twitter that he has already decided before Big 12 Media Days.

Boomer.....
8/1/2012, 02:32 PM
This sucks, but he's probably doing the right thing. No sense in permanently hurting yourself just to play football.

vtsooner21
8/1/2012, 03:44 PM
Yep; life is much more important than finishing a college football career. Wishing him the very best in the future and here's hoping that he will be able to reap those rewards that will come his way..
Boomer

Jason White's Third Knee
8/1/2012, 03:44 PM
Well, well. Turning your back away from your team just so you can walk in the future? Very selfish, Mr. Habern. There is no I in team. But I guess there is an I in paralysis.

Walking is over-rated. I do it all the time and I am no athlete.

cccasooner2
8/1/2012, 04:26 PM
Well, well. Turning your back away from your team just so you can walk in the future? Very selfish, Mr. Habern. There is no I in team. But I guess there is an I in paralysis.

Walking is over-rated. I do it all the time and I am no athlete.

I was once banned for saying something like that. :)

EatLeadCommie
8/1/2012, 04:46 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't this kind of expected? Well, maybe not expected this close to the season and after he indicates he's ready to go, but weren't we contemplating possibly not having him this year at the end of last season? Or am I thinking about somebody else?

BoulderSooner79
8/1/2012, 05:02 PM
I was once banned for saying something like that. :)

No. You were banned because you used up all the glue ON PURPOSE.

PalmBeachSooner
8/2/2012, 01:23 PM
Maybe we can move a DL to Center.

goingoneight
8/2/2012, 04:43 PM
I think Habern went to media days because he's going to still be on the sidelines this year with his team mates. Between him and Jon Cooper, there's plenty of knowledge on OU's center position to take in by whomever plays at center.