PDA

View Full Version : New Champions Bowl in line for $80 million payout from ESPN

sooner n houston
7/30/2012, 08:44 PM
The Big 12′s new partnership with the Southeastern Conference for the new Champions Bowl will make both conferences a lot of money.

The Sports Business Daily reported today that ESPN has reached an agreement with both conferences to telecast the new Champions Bowl beginning in 2015.

Industry sources told the Daily that the two conferences will receive about $80 million per year. That total will play it with roughly the same rights that ESPN currently pays to the Big Ten and Pac-12 conferences for the Rose Bowl.

The report clearly shows that ESPN is determined to get a stranglehold on properties that could make up the major post season games in the new era where a four-team playoff will conclude the FBS season.

And it also shows some respect for the Big 12, less than a year after the conference was thought to be on its last legs as other conferences appeared ready to pick apart its membership for new members.

The leading candidate for the Champions Bowl appears to be the Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, where a bid would be backed by the Dallas Cowboys and the Cotton Bowl.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said last week at the Big 12′s Media Days that he expects details of the Champions Bowl to be ironed out over the next few weeks.:glee::glee::glee:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/big12/2012/07/new-champions-bowl-in-line-for-80-million-payout-from-espn/

SteelClip49
7/31/2012, 09:52 AM
so the Champions Bowl would be a matchup to decide who goes on to play for the national title based on the 4 team playoff?

badger
7/31/2012, 10:04 AM
Texurs Aggurz say that this is further proof that the SEC is going to get them more money than the Bevo Conference :rcmad:

CowboyMRW
7/31/2012, 06:08 PM
I think they should rotate between Dallas, Houston, New Orleans and Atlanta. Or just Dallas and New Orleans.

So will this be 4 mil/ school in the Big 12 or do I have revenue sharing all wrong?

8timechamps
7/31/2012, 06:16 PM
I think they should rotate between Dallas, Houston, New Orleans and Atlanta. Or just Dallas and New Orleans.

So will this be 4 mil/ school in the Big 12 or do I have revenue sharing all wrong?

Houston really isn't in Big XII territory anymore. I'd rather it be in Kansas City than Houston. But, I'm with you, just rotate between Dallas and New Orleans, or just Dallas. The SEC have had enough home bowl games to last a lifetime.