PDA

View Full Version : Just Awful

LiveLaughLove
7/29/2012, 07:52 PM
http://www.mediaite.com/online/mississippi-church-not-letting-black-couple-get-married-in-order-to-avoid-controversy/

I despise hearing stuff like this. The Pastor should have had the wedding in his church and told those congregation members to go fly a kite.

By avoiding a controversy he is allowing rotten apples to remain rotten in God's house. Paul said get rid of them. I would take Paul's advice.

Every time I read stuff like this, I love my church even more and know how blessed we are to have found it and be going there.

Before anyone starts the Christian bashing, I would remind you, people are people. They will fail every time. If your eyes are on the people, including the Pastor, and not on Christ then you aren't looking in the right place.

I told my wife a while back that over 50% of every congregation is there just for the social aspects and not for the word. She didn't agree. Our Pastor preached one day and said, you know half of you aren't even here for your salvation. You're here to hobnob and meet people. My wife told me to just shut up as we were leaving that day.

SouthCarolinaSooner
7/29/2012, 08:33 PM
I despise hearing stuff like this. The Pastor should have had the wedding in his church and told those congregation members to go fly a kite.

I told my wife a while back that over 50% of every congregation is there just for the social aspects and not for the word.

Well said and well said. Spineless of him to save face over a bunch of backward hicks. Think that 50% is a pretty conservative estimate anyways, at least from what I remember of my churchgoing days.

soonercruiser
7/30/2012, 04:27 PM
It would be interesting to see if the "congregation" would have any problem with a white gay couple getting married.
:stung:

badger
7/31/2012, 11:16 AM
One positive: Thank you Mississippi for making sure Oklahoma is never below 49th in anything :P

And now, for serious discussion...

I am not sure how across-the-board the reports are, but church donation levels are down. I am not sure if this is because attendance and enthusiasm about religion is down, lack of accountability for non-profit spending, especially when embezzlement happens, etc., but it's down. Churches have bills to pay to keep their doors open and therefore, they have to keep their congregation in mind when making decisions.

That being said, I think that this decision reflects poorly on the congregation for having a few loudmouths express to the pastor that they didn't want black people (who, as the article states, were members of the church) married there. I have been a part of a congregation where we've had to deal with loudmouths, and this is how you deal with them: The ones that volunteer for the events lead the events. The ones that volunteer to teach the classes get to make class decisions. And the ones that take time off on a Saturday to officiate and work at a wedding? They get to make decisions on their own ceremony. The loudmouths were often inactive members that, as mentioned earlier, where just there to be there, and were very often the ones that would complain, but not participate actively. If you don't participate, you don't get a say in the discussion. END. OF. DISCUSSION.

Once again, thank you Mississippi for being No. 50 in the union. Boo on your congregation, but thanks for being you, Mississippi.

rock on sooner
7/31/2012, 11:20 AM
Well, it IS Mississippi, so whatcha 'spect?

Skysooner
7/31/2012, 02:55 PM
This stuff happens everywhere although it isn't usually in the media. I was head of a church in Edmond for a few years, and we started losing members because the pastor was using "inclusive" language. It always amazes me how seriously people take religion and yet don't work on themselves/their faith/the golden rule. Good post LLL.

SicEmBaylor
7/31/2012, 03:01 PM
They were both black, so I fail to see the problem.

olevetonahill
7/31/2012, 03:24 PM

No she was Brown , Big difference

SanJoaquinSooner
7/31/2012, 03:35 PM

They were both members of the church, so I fail to see the problem.

olevetonahill
7/31/2012, 03:53 PM
They were both members of the church, so I fail to see the problem.
They had been attending But not as "Members"

Even tho I disagree with what the Pastor and the church did. Its their business. Not mine

SouthCarolinaSooner
7/31/2012, 07:06 PM
One positive: Thank you Mississippi for making sure Oklahoma is never below 49th in anything :P

We have a similar saying here...

soonercruiser
7/31/2012, 07:41 PM
They had been attending But not as "Members"
Even tho I disagree with what the Pastor and the church did. Its their business. Not mine

Oh! Different story!
They hadn't been "tithing"!
:beaten: