PDA

View Full Version : Water Polo

cleller
7/29/2012, 01:53 PM
Watching the USA mens team on the Olympics. This just underscores the fact that you'll watch things on the Olympics that you wouldn't be caught dead watching otherwise.

These guys are out there wearing speedos, and rubber bonnets with Princess Leia circles over the ears. Their teammates are cheering from poolside wearing bath robes.

When are those women gymnasts gonna be out?

lexsooner
7/29/2012, 07:35 PM
Aside from the dressing, I've always gotten the impression that water polo is a very masculine sport. Those guys are big, tall and physical and they wear the headgear for protection. I knew a guy who played college water polo in California and he said it was a contact sport in which you can be shoved underwater if you were not strong and tough.

rock on sooner
7/29/2012, 08:26 PM
Headgear also identifies which team your on. Prolly the best conditioned
athletes around, especially in 12 foot pools. Just amazes me how well
conditioned they are!

StoopTroup
7/29/2012, 09:15 PM
They are fish.

fadada1
7/30/2012, 06:32 PM
if you think you're a good swimmer, try water polo. you might find it humbling. grew up a competitive swimmer, but was cursed with being average size (and average height... budump). might have given college water polo a try had i been anything over 6' tall. great sport, very physical, and no rest during a game. typically, water polo players are the best of all olympic athletes with regards to overall fitness levels.

SicEmBaylor
7/30/2012, 06:41 PM
if you think you're a good swimmer, try water polo. you might find it humbling. grew up a competitive swimmer, but was cursed with being average size (and average height... budump). might have given college water polo a try had i been anything over 6' tall. great sport, very physical, and no rest during a game. typically, water polo players are the best of all olympic athletes with regards to overall fitness levels.

Same here. I was a competitive swimmer for decades. Water polo is a totally different beast. We'd play from time to time to shake up our workouts a little and that **** nearly killed me every time.

Anyone who bashes that **** needs to get their *** in the pool and give it a shot....the over/under for them drowning is 5 minutes.