PDA

View Full Version : Will be good to see him back on the juggle again.

cccasooner2
7/28/2012, 05:52 PM
Welcome back Jaz. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/roster/roster_num.pdf

7/27 roster update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ

SoonerofAlabama
7/28/2012, 06:58 PM
I don't know about everyone else but I say until Bob says something, this is a typo.

8timechamps
7/28/2012, 07:32 PM
Nothing yet on Soonersports.com (roster). I know the "door is still open", so if this is true, it would be very good.

cccasooner2
7/28/2012, 08:01 PM
Will twitter do? https://twitter.com/Jaz_R16/status/229368666418978816

Also looks like the new roster is being revised. The roster Pdf is now blank.

SoonerofAlabama
7/28/2012, 08:18 PM
I hope it's try but really who knows?

bixby28
7/28/2012, 09:25 PM
Keep all of the receivers who *want* to play. Some of the freshmen may be just what the offense needs...

SoonerMarkVA
7/29/2012, 10:24 AM
Getting Reynolds back would be very helpful. If he could work out the off-field issues, I see him poised to become a very productive receiver, possibly a leading receiver this year (unless Metoyer goes actual beast mode, and not DM beast mode). He's the one loss I felt would hurt team productivity.

SoonerofAlabama
7/29/2012, 12:27 PM
I'm hearing trey franks is coming back too. And that there's a problem with lacoltan bester.

cleller
7/29/2012, 01:25 PM
Getting Reynolds back would be very helpful. If he could work out the off-field issues, I see him poised to become a very productive receiver, possibly a leading receiver this year (unless Metoyer goes actual beast mode, and not DM beast mode). He's the one loss I felt would hurt team productivity.

If Jaz' head is in the right place, I think it would be good to get him back. Hoping for some silver lining.

8timechamps
7/29/2012, 01:41 PM
Here's the latest info:

Jaz Reynolds: Apparently, he was showing up on the official roster from Friday until last night. Then, he disappeared. Jake Trotter (OU Beat writer) says that he was removed from the official roster, then someone added him back on Friday. Then the entire (printable) roster disappeared. So, take that however you want. Sounds like someone in the athletic department added him back on (possibly too soon?).

Lacoltan Bester: No issue with Bester. Since he was a JuCo transfer, he wasn't required to go through the NCAA clearing house. All he had to do was complete his academic requirements. He did that last week, and is now in Norman, enrolled for the fall.

Trey Franks: Nothing confirmed.

Apparently, there are two scholarships up in the air right now. One is supposed to go to Gardner, the other to Latu. If both of those guys make it to Norman, there will be no available scholarships, so if Jaz or Trey were to come back, it would be without a scholarship.

Personally, I think Latu is not going to meet the requirements to make it to Norman this fall, so I think there will be one scholly available...and I think it goes back to Jaz. But that's just my speculation

StoopTroup
7/29/2012, 08:34 PM
Since Whaley didn't really need a Scholarship maybe he could turn it down so one of the guys who do need it can use it.

Of course I have no idea if that's even possible or if Whaley needs it now. Just trying to say that it seemed strange that Bob gave him the Scholarship without even knowing if Whaley's injury might hurt the level of play he was at or even end his football career.

I know there were a bunch of folks on here willing to give him one even if he didn't want it or even if the Coaches didn't want to give him one.

It makes you really appreciate how a year later there is conversation about not having any Scholarship to give a player we could use this year.

SoonerMarkVA
7/29/2012, 10:26 PM
Personally, I think Latu is not going to meet the requirements to make it to Norman this fall, so I think there will be one scholly available...and I think it goes back to Jaz. But that's just my speculation

That would suit me fine. Whatever headaches Franks is causing are not worth what he contributes. I'd like to see him stay off the team. Reynolds, assuming Stoops thinks he deserves another shot, I'd like to see in uniform again.

OU_Sooners75
7/29/2012, 10:55 PM
8timechamps...

One thing, just cause a player comes from juco doesn't mean they don't have to go through the ncaa clearinghouse. If they do not obtain their AA degree then they must go through the clearinghouse.if they do obtain it, they don't have to.

Then they have to meet all requirements that the University of Oklahoma sets to gain admissions.

So with gardner, if he gets his AA degree he doesn't have to go through the clearinghouse, but hope his completed courses are accepted by OU.

Bester got his AA, his hold up was waiting to make sure OU accepted his transcript.

Reynolds is not back with the program. But he is reporting Monday. So maybe he is getting things worked out. If he is allowed back, he will likely face a lengthy suspension.

Latu will not be at OU this year, or ever. That ship as sailed and he was unable to get what he needed done, done. Apparently OU did not accept some of his classes.

OU_Sooners75
7/30/2012, 09:06 AM
That would suit me fine. Whatever headaches Franks is causing are not worth what he contributes. I'd like to see him stay off the team. Reynolds, assuming Stoops thinks he deserves another shot, I'd like to see in uniform again.

How many chances, or shots, does a player need?

2009 Jaz was suspended early in the season. Only played in 9 games.
2010 Jaz had to use a redshirt because he was suspended from the team.
2011 Jaz plays an entire season without a hitch.
Spring of 2012, Jaz gets suspended a third time from the team.

Franks is currently serving his second suspension in as many seasons. Neither are the types of players that need to be on a team that is trying to get rid of the entitlement image!

That said, their talent (or potential) will be missed, but I hope Stoops tells them to **** off for the remainder of their 10 semesters to complete 4 seasons of competition!

OU_Sooners75
7/30/2012, 09:13 AM
Since Whaley didn't really need a Scholarship maybe he could turn it down so one of the guys who do need it can use it.

Of course I have no idea if that's even possible or if Whaley needs it now. Just trying to say that it seemed strange that Bob gave him the Scholarship without even knowing if Whaley's injury might hurt the level of play he was at or even end his football career.

I know there were a bunch of folks on here willing to give him one even if he didn't want it or even if the Coaches didn't want to give him one.

It makes you really appreciate how a year later there is conversation about not having any Scholarship to give a player we could use this year.

Stoops gave him a scholarship because he earned it. No matter if he is injured or not, Whaley earned the right from hard work and determination to get that scholarship. Bob Stoops saw it and rewarded him accordingly.

And Whaley is cleared to practice and play, so it is not a wasted scholarship.

A wasted scholarship would be like Jeremy Calhoun or any highly touted recruit out of high school that fails to live up to why they were recruited. IMHO, if a Walk-on earns a full ride scholarship, then they should be able to retain it for as long as they are able to after earning it!

cccasooner2
7/30/2012, 11:07 AM
Roster updated July 30th pdf http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/roster/roster_num.pdf

Haven't looked it over too closely yet, probably the same as before the flood of Jaz stuff.

SoonerofAlabama
7/30/2012, 11:43 AM

Franks is currently serving his second suspension in as many seasons. Neither are the types of players that need to be on a team that is trying to get rid of the entitlement image!

That said, their talent (or potential) will be missed, but I hope Stoops tells them to **** off for the remainder of their 10 semesters to complete 4 seasons of competition!

I think Jaz was suspended for one game in 2011 too.

BoomerJ
7/30/2012, 12:00 PM
We had first heard that Kameel Jackson was not released from his scholarship, but he is not listed either on the official roster (I know that all can change). Have things changed for Jackson? Does anyone think he's reporting with the team this week? He's sure not reporting at A & M according to them. The other person involved whose name is rarely mentioned is Quentin Hayes. He hasn't had the playing time the others have, but I thought I heard good things from him in Spring. Any word in his chances to return? No matter who Stoops let's back on the team, the numbers are going to squeeze some schollys out.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/30/2012, 12:26 PM
Think Jaz would behave differently if his name was Tim or something?

PalmBeachSooner
7/30/2012, 12:30 PM

I'm not sure what the infatuation is with Jaz. I know he made some circus catches here and there but, but...yeah...here and there.

thecrimsoncrusader
7/30/2012, 12:41 PM
I'm not sure what the infatuation is with Jaz. I know he made some circus catches here and there but, but...yeah...here and there.

Maybe because he got about 700 yards receiving in about half a season's worth of work? He did a lot more than make circus catches here and there. With that said, he's already had at least two strikes that we know about, so he's in the liability category now.

OU_Sooners75
7/30/2012, 12:46 PM
Think Jaz would behave differently if his name was Tim or something?

I dont think name has anything to do with character.

OU_Sooners75
7/30/2012, 12:50 PM

Im not infatuated with him. I simple stated some stuff about him....frankly IMHO, I hope he never sees the playing field at OU and never allowed to return to the team.

The kid has had ample opportunities to prove he could do the right thing...but refused to do so.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/30/2012, 12:54 PM
I don't know the whole situation, so I know I'm missing a lot of facts..

But how can someone not meet requirements at a juco?...And how can they be expected to complete the requirements at OU if the juco is too much work?

8timechamps
7/30/2012, 06:12 PM
Bob Stoops said this morning (at his annual golf tournament) that he is "not closing the door on Jaz being at practice Thursday". That's a marked change to his media day comment of "I'm not closing the door on Jaz making his way back".

So, it looks like it's going to play out like I thought it would. Gardner not making it in this year will open up a scholarship for Jaz. My guess is that Jaz will be back on the team come Thursday (if he isn't already).

SoonerMarkVA
7/30/2012, 06:13 PM

As many as Stoops thinks he deserves. Stoops has never given me any reason to question his integrity with extending chances to players. My comments were only in reference to the one thing I can observe about the players: their performance. Franks has been disappointing on the field; Reynolds has not.

8timechamps
7/30/2012, 06:21 PM
8timechamps...

One thing, just cause a player comes from juco doesn't mean they don't have to go through the ncaa clearinghouse. If they do not obtain their AA degree then they must go through the clearinghouse.if they do obtain it, they don't have to.

Then they have to meet all requirements that the University of Oklahoma sets to gain admissions.

So with gardner, if he gets his AA degree he doesn't have to go through the clearinghouse, but hope his completed courses are accepted by OU.

Bester got his AA, his hold up was waiting to make sure OU accepted his transcript.

Reynolds is not back with the program. But he is reporting Monday. So maybe he is getting things worked out. If he is allowed back, he will likely face a lengthy suspension.

Latu will not be at OU this year, or ever. That ship as sailed and he was unable to get what he needed done, done. Apparently OU did not accept some of his classes.

Well, I assumed everyone realized that the majority of JuCo transfers will have completed their AA. Only a few transfer from JuCo to a 4 year school without attaining their degree. In fact, the majority of guys that attempt to transfer in (that have not completed their AA) don't make it (see Wil Latu).

There was a lot more to Latu not working out than just a few classes OU wouldn't accept. But, nonetheless, he missed a great opportunity.

goingoneight
7/30/2012, 09:36 PM
I don't recall what Reynolds was suspended for in 2009 or if he even was at all. IMO, he was a true freshman and even the great Ryan Broyles screwed up as a true freshman.

In 2010, he made a comment on Twitter that was classless, but no different than what you all post on message boards all the time. A suspension (redshirt) was a suitable "punishment" IMO. He could have easily taken snaps away from Cameron Kenney, Trey Franks or DeJuan Miller later in the year if he applied himself.

Enter 2011, he had his first, what I call "serious" suspension for the Mary Jane. That's not a little Tweetering incident... and still not the end of the world, really. He's not rapping about murdering girlfriends or stealing money from a car dealership, he just did what an overwhelming number of athletes do without getting caught.

Moving along to 2012, another alleged Mary Jane bust. I'm sorry, but you had plenty of opportunities to stay in good graces with Stoops. Lots of little nagging issues can be overlooked, but if'n it's what we all think it is (the second ganja "offense"), then you deserve to have your scholly yanked and to be placed in the Stoops doghouse. I can see Bob giving him one more chance, in all honesty... but not because of a few circus catches and a thin WR corps that needs him. If Stoops kept guys just to shore up depth, January transfer Joey Halzle wouldn't have been the only quarterback we had going into Fall camp in 2006.

swardboy
7/31/2012, 06:55 AM

Ok, that does it. You are the official "Humor Fail" poster of SoonerFans.com .

goingoneight
7/31/2012, 11:51 AM
Jaz is short for Jazmon, white folks. :D

badger
7/31/2012, 12:27 PM
Stoops addressed the Jaz roster thing here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?/Stoops_talks_players_reporting_Jaz_Reynolds_and_de aling_with_the_heat_/12-16282) Says that nothing has changed and that he'll talk about the 105-man practice roster on Thursday.

As for which receivers we have and don't have, it's times like this that you take sides --- is it more important that a receiver catch the ball and not embarrass us on the field, or is it more important that the receiver not get in trouble and embarrass us off the field.

If there's one thing that I like about us not be SEC, it's not associating with those high-crime-rate athletes that steal laptops, smoke synthetic weed, you name it, check the Fulmer Cup standings.

If you don't care so long as they stay eligible, more power to you. But I personally would rather have a player that drops an occasional ball if meant he stayed outta trouble off the field.

If he's both a troublemaker and a ball dropper, then drop his arse from scholarship.

BoulderSooner79
7/31/2012, 02:47 PM

Ok, that does it. You are the official "Humor Fail" poster of SoonerFans.com .

That's Humor Phail, geez.

Soonerfan88
7/31/2012, 09:28 PM
I'm personally no expert but asked an acquaintance who works at a juco. Every player has to go through the clearinghouse, no matter what. Juco players not only have to meet degree requirements at their current college, those classes have to be accepted by the D1 school and enough have to officially count for the new declared degree to meet the NCAA "progress toward degree" requirement. With the NCAA, it's not just about grades anymore.

As for them coming back, I would rather Trey and Jaz get their degree and enjoy their time in Norman as a student but not an athlete. I don't know enough about Hayes to know. Stoops seems to think K. Jackson is worth another shot and, if he can stay out of trouble and take care of his classes, will be allowed back part way through the season.

dennis580
7/31/2012, 11:14 PM

Um Jaz definantly NEEDS to be on this team. I was expecting a breakout season for him this year, and to be our #1 reciever. We certainly need Jaz if we are going to compete for a national championship.

dennis580
7/31/2012, 11:16 PM

A lot of us were expecting him to have a breakout season this year, and be our #1 reciever.

Curly Bill
7/31/2012, 11:33 PM
A lot of us were expecting him to have a breakout season this year, and be our #1 reciever.

A lot of us? I don't know that the list is really that long???

Possibly be a productive receiver? Yeah maybe, if he can become more consistent, but be the piece we need to compete for a national championship? Uh...NO!

OU_Sooners75
8/1/2012, 12:57 AM
Um Jaz definantly NEEDS to be on this team. I was expecting a breakout season for him this year, and to be our #1 reciever. We certainly need Jaz if we are going to compete for a national championship.

Ummm no we don't.

Would he be helpful yeah. But we don't need him to compete for anything.

I find it hilarious that u think a guy with 700 career rec. Yards is going to be that one player that gets over the hump.

none of us are positive why he got suspended. But I can tell u from experience that nothing will put a bad attitude in the locker room faster than a player that thinks he can slack off from expectations and can get awya with it, while other can't.

Jaz reynolds would not see a football field this season if I were stoops.

Besides, stills, jackson, metoyer, neal, shepard, etc can fill his void!

8timechamps
8/1/2012, 07:22 PM
I'm personally no expert but asked an acquaintance who works at a juco. Every player has to go through the clearinghouse, no matter what. Juco players not only have to meet degree requirements at their current college, those classes have to be accepted by the D1 school and enough have to officially count for the new declared degree to meet the NCAA "progress toward degree" requirement. With the NCAA, it's not just about grades anymore.

As for them coming back, I would rather Trey and Jaz get their degree and enjoy their time in Norman as a student but not an athlete. I don't know enough about Hayes to know. Stoops seems to think K. Jackson is worth another shot and, if he can stay out of trouble and take care of his classes, will be allowed back part way through the season.

Every player coming out of high school (that wants to be eligible to play at D1 or D1 schools) has to go through the NCAA clearing house. Players that have completed their AA degree at a JuCo do not have to go through the NCAA clearing house. They do however have to be accepted by the D1 or D2 school they are transferring into.

Most kids (especially the ones that are good enough to eventually transfer to a D1 or D2 school) submit their paperwork to the NCAA clearing house when they are juniors in high school. Some wait until they are seniors, but it takes a while, so they are encouraged to do it asap. Maybe that's what your acquaintance was speaking about.

I pretty much agree with what you said about the returning trio. I trust Stoops to make the best decision for the team (not that he checks with me on these things).

lasooner123
8/1/2012, 07:25 PM
anyone have a depth chart

8timechamps
8/2/2012, 05:45 PM
anyone have a depth chart

Not released until after camp starts. Probably be a week or two.

cccasooner2
8/5/2012, 01:17 PM
Trying to re-learn the one-handed catch.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/268726_10150996050657005_1790473983_n.jpg

Tulsa_Fireman
8/5/2012, 03:11 PM
Dear Jaz,

Please only do that crap when you have no other choice. If you can get a second hand on it, use the damn thing.

Love,

Me

cccasooner2
9/23/2012, 11:00 AM
Another accurate participation report. :)

OKLAHOMA: 1H-Harris,Lamar, 1B-Bester, L., 1F-Favors,Rashod, 2W-Williams, Damie, 2G-Williams, D., 2-Wilson,Julian, 5-Ibiloye,Joseph, 10-Bell,Blake, 11-Washington,R.J., 16-Reynolds,Jaz, 18-Hunnicutt,Mike, 22-Finch,Roy, 24-Clay,Brennan, 25-Franklin,Aaron, 31-Franklin,Dan, 33-Millard,Trey, 36-Way,Tress, 41-Striker, Eric, 42-Paulsen,Jesse, 43-O'Hara,Patrick, 44-Bird,Jaydan, 48-Ripkowski, A., 50-Woods,Austin, 54-Kasitati, Nila, 71-Thompson,Tyrus, 80-Phillips, J., 82-Green, Brannon, 85-Grissom,Geneo.