PDA

View Full Version : Another Sub-Prime Mortgage Crisis Being Created?

soonercruiser
7/27/2012, 01:45 PM
So, we thought that the sub-prome mortgage crisis was resolved.
After all, it was all the evil banks trying to force people to accept loans that the banks knew couldn't repay.
Right?

Despite all the Democratic rhetoric about banks to blame for the sub-prime mortgage crisis, the new CFPB is poised to twist the system to place minorities back at risk.

Well, it's happeneing again!
And again, it's the government...the Obama Administration this time....forcing banks to make loans specifically to black and Hispanic minorities!
Under the auspices of Dodd-Frank....see article below...
The government is forcing credit agencies to modify how they score credit ratings; and threatening to take over credit agencies if they and the banks don't comply!
And Elizabeth Warren and the Justice Department are in the middle of this too!

And You Thought the Housing Crisis Was Over!
By William Tucker on 7.27.12 @ 6:09AM

The Community Reinvestment Act is back, as if 2008 never happened.

Yes, believe it or not, the federal government is now starting another initiative to force banks to lend to low-credit-rated blacks and Hispanics -- not just anybody but specifically blacks and Hispanics -- and is threatening -- and already imposing -- huge punitive fines if they don't. Moreover, this time they're going even further. They're going to take over the credit rating agencies and force them to change their standards to accommodate blacks and Hispanics so that nobody will have any idea who is a bad credit risk and who is not. In so many words, the government is about impose its will on the whole home-lending market and force another round of bad loans so that the banks are going to be looted once again so that even the federal government may not be able to bail them out this time.

The principle instrument this time is not the Justice Department, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, as it was last time, but the brand-new Consumer Finance Protection Bureau, designed by good old Elizabeth "Nobody-Ever-Made-It-On-Their-Own" Warren, which should really be called the Bureau for Bringing Down the Entire Economy. As reported in last Sunday's New York Post by Hoover Institution Media Fellow Paul Sperry, the CFPB has just announced that it is adopting a 20-page "Policy Statement on Discrimination in Lending" issues by the Interagency Task force on Fair Lending in 1994 that kicked off Attorney General Janet Reno's draconic enforcement of the Community Renewal Act. Part of the policy statement reads, "Applying different lending standards or offering different levels of assistance to applicants who are members of a protected [i.e., minority] class is permissible in some circumstances. Providing different treatment to applicants to address past discrimination would be permissible if done in response to a court order." There are already plenty of court orders sitting around.

Just two weeks ago Wells Fargo caved to a Justice Department offensive and paid $175 million for alleged past discriminating against minority borrowers. All this occurred even though the bank received an "outstanding" grade in its most recent Community Reinvestment Act exam. The government did not even bother to prove discrimination in a single instance but relied instead on statistics showing lower rates of homeownership in minority neighborhoods. Thomas Perez, the Justice Department honcho who is spearheading this campaign, says banks discriminate "with a smile" and "fine print" and are "every bit as destructive as the cross burned in a neighborhood." Nice objective evaluation there.

As in most such cases, Wells Fargo chickened out about going to court and refused to admit any wrongdoing but agreed to all kinds of diversity training and sensitivity counseling. The bank will have to "prominently display" a notice informing minority customers that they cannot be turned down for loans just because they are receiving public assistance such as unemployment benefits, welfare payments or food stamps. (Maybe they can even use food stamps for the down payment.) Wells Fargo must provide minority customers $50 million for down-payment and closing-cost assistance, including "Borrower Assistance Grants" of up to $15,000 per individual. It was also ordered to pay $125 million to as yet unnamed victims of previous discrimination. But get this! If those past victims don't show up, the money must be handed over to community organizing groups. President Obama, you have a job waiting for you if you lose office this fall.Almost a dozen banks are under similar investigation and will be soon falling like dominoes unless one of them musters the courage to stand up to the Justice Department in court.

So guess what happens next? Under the pretext of "regulating" the agencies, CFPB will hammer away, forcing them to upgrade the scores of blacks and Hispanics. Standards will be diluted or abandoned entirely and within a few years the banks will be flying blind with no reliable information on who is a good credit risk and who isn't. Does that sound like the formula for another mortgage meltdown? It sure does to me.

The article goes on.....

http://spectator.org/archives/2012/07/27/and-you-thought-the-housing-cr

soonercruiser
7/27/2012, 02:02 PM
Here's even a Huffington Post Article on the problem....
On CFPB's First Birthday, Watchdog Is Still Vulnerable To Possible Dodd-Frank Repeal
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/cfpb-first-birthday_n_1690412.html

Dodd-Frank’s Protection Racket
by Nicole Gelinas
The new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is both irrelevant and dangerous.
http://www.city-journal.org/2012/22_3_consumer-financial-protection-bureau.html

diverdog
7/27/2012, 09:49 PM
So, we thought that the sub-prome mortgage crisis was resolved.
After all, it was all the evil banks trying to force people to accept loans that the banks knew couldn't repay.
Right?

Despite all the Democratic rhetoric about banks to blame for the sub-prime mortgage crisis, the new CFPB is poised to twist the system to place minorities back at risk.

Well, it's happeneing again!
And again, it's the government...the Obama Administration this time....forcing banks to make loans specifically to black and Hispanic minorities!
Under the auspices of Dodd-Frank....see article below...
The government is forcing credit agencies to modify how they score credit ratings; and threatening to take over credit agencies if they and the banks don't comply!
And Elizabeth Warren and the Justice Department are in the middle of this too!

That is some of the most racist bull**** I have ever read. This ******* has zero understanding on how lending works in a bank.

sooner n houston
7/29/2012, 04:37 PM
But but I thought the banks were responsible! You mean all those wonderful meaning Dems really caused this? Tell me it isn't sooooo!!!! [/sarcasm/]

soonercruiser
7/30/2012, 03:57 PM
That is some of the most racist bull**** I have ever read. This ******* has zero understanding on how lending works in a bank.

Racist??? You mean like Holder not prosecuting the New Black Panthers for voter intimidation in Philly?
Or the way that Obama and his ilk make everything about race, when they can't explain it in any other way.
Or, Dems pandering to their base groups, calling everyone else racist?
Right....everything on the "Right" is racist to Diver Left!

soonercruiser
7/30/2012, 04:09 PM
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Separation of Powers
http://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/309498/consumer-financial-protection-bureau-and-separation-powers-ammon-simon

Suit against U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau could force it to define limits to its authority, says banking industry lawyer
July 30th, 2012
From Reuters
By Emmanuel Olaoye
June 29, 2012
http://www.bu.edu/buc/2012/07/30/suit-against-u-s-consumer-financial-protection-bureau-could-force-it-to-define-limits-to-its-authority-says-banking-industry-lawyer/

Midtowner
7/30/2012, 04:57 PM
The CFPB has recently dropped a pretty big hammer on a couple of banks for some pretty severe and substantiated abuses.

Look for the money to start flowing and the misleading attack ads to start playing.

diverdog
7/30/2012, 09:29 PM
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Separation of Powers
http://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/309498/consumer-financial-protection-bureau-and-separation-powers-ammon-simon

Suit against U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau could force it to define limits to its authority, says banking industry lawyer
July 30th, 2012
From Reuters
By Emmanuel Olaoye
June 29, 2012
http://www.bu.edu/buc/2012/07/30/suit-against-u-s-consumer-financial-protection-bureau-could-force-it-to-define-limits-to-its-authority-says-banking-industry-lawyer/

A $275 million dollar bank.....brahahah. Are you f'ing kidding me?

Do you read anything you post?

BTW cruiser tell me anywhere in the nation where there is red hot lending in the housing market to anyone let alone minorities? Oh and how much cra lending do you do?

Position Limit
7/31/2012, 10:07 AM
the terms CDO squared, synthetic CDO, and AIG are lost on soonercruiser and his clerk. yes it was the welfare queens livin large that are to blame for a complete financial meltdown that brought us the abortion that is the dodd frank bill. please tell me more. curious cruiser, what do you do for money?

badger
7/31/2012, 10:23 AM
Much like voting has a history of discrimination against minorities, so does housing. Yes, I would love it if everything were a fair and balanced playground where the playground monitor isn't necessary because Joey Joe Joe Junior won't bully the shorter, younger kids, but we all know that's not going to happen.

Much like Texas had to rethink it's redistricting to ensure that minority votes were not marginalized, the government sometimes has to step in and say "fair housing, please."

I do worry about housing crashing down again, but sometimes, all people need is someone to give them a chance and often times, rent is about the same cost as a monthly mortgage in some areas (like Tulsa).

diverdog
7/31/2012, 11:34 AM
the terms CDO squared, synthetic CDO, and AIG are lost on soonercruiser and his clerk. yes it was the welfare queens livin large that are to blame for a complete financial meltdown that brought us the abortion that is the dodd frank bill. please tell me more. curious cruiser, what do you do for money?

Yep: Although in fairness to cruiser I do worry about some over reach by this agency into the finance sector. But it has nothing to do with CRA or minorities. The biggest demons out there right now are the European bond crisis, student loans and retirement. The housing market could still be a problem from defaults but any kind of buying binge is not on the horizon. The thing that keeps me awake at night is the exposure US banks have to the European bond market and exposure of US money market accounts in the form of European commercial paper/repo's.

badger
7/31/2012, 11:42 AM
If billionaire NFL owners can get out of paying millions to players simply by cutting them, something tells me that we are going to find a solution to this banking problem. It will likely screw the loaners.

Owner: How much shall I pay you, free agent?
Player: Well, the contract I was recently cut from had me being paid $10 million per season...
Owner: HAHAHAHAHA! Try the NFL minimum. And I'll probably cut you in preseason so that I can pay the minimum of a rookie, rather than a veteran's minimum.

Debtors: How much shall I pay you, bank?
Lender: Well, when Greece agreed to this loan, they said they'd pay back...
Debtors: HAHAHAHAHA! Pennies on the dollar, or we'll default on it all and you get nothing.

Position Limit
7/31/2012, 12:38 PM
Yep: Although in fairness to cruiser I do worry about some over reach by this agency into the finance sector. But it has nothing to do with CRA or minorities. The biggest demons out there right now are the European bond crisis, student loans and retirement. The housing market could still be a problem from defaults but any kind of buying binge is not on the horizon. The thing that keeps me awake at night is the exposure US banks have to the European bond market and exposure of US money market accounts in the form of European commercial paper/repo's.

the world needs another wall street concocted bubble in a hurry. i need a bonus and america needs to get back to being america. guns shows would thin out and big box stores would get back on top.

Midtowner
8/1/2012, 12:58 PM
Debtors: HAHAHAHAHA! Pennies on the dollar, or we'll default on it all and you get nothing.

There's a problem with this conversation. It never happens. Here's how it really goes:

Government: WAIT STOP! The banks paid for our campaigns and you Debtors paid nothing. We will issue government bonds to bail the banks out. Those bonds will be paid for by the taxpayers. Don't like that? Don't make us reform bankruptcy again and reinstate debtor's prisons and/or indentured servitude.