PDA

View Full Version : This is why Republicans want voter ID requirements

landrun
7/25/2012, 09:54 AM
It has *NOTHING* to do with race. It has to do with the fact that the dems try to steal every election!

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/virginia-politics/2012/jul/25/tdmain01-romney-camp-asks-va-to-probe-voter-forms-ar-2081517/

XingTheRubicon
7/25/2012, 10:10 AM
if only hard working citizens were allowed to vote, dems would never win another election...anywhere

but that's not the case, so we just have to hope the producers out-vote the pieces of **** and those who entitle them.

cleller
7/25/2012, 10:11 AM
More of the "here, we'll do it for you..." mentality. Isn't it great to foster a population that can't do a thing for themselves?

Bourbon St Sooner
7/25/2012, 12:25 PM
How the hell did these people get names of family pets to pre-populate in these forms?

cleller
7/25/2012, 01:11 PM
How the hell did these people get names of family pets to pre-populate in these forms?

This has been a growing problem as pets gain greater access to the internet. Many do not realize the dangers of putting their personal info out there until its too late.

pphilfran
7/25/2012, 01:16 PM
This has been a growing problem as pets gain greater access to the internet. Many do not realize the dangers of putting their personal info out there until its too late.

Very little is actually know about the internet hackers known as Meowonymous

badger
7/25/2012, 01:28 PM
if only hard working citizens were allowed to vote, dems would never win another election...anywhere

I know you're being a bit sarcastic but it was entitled Republican incumbents that caused the great Dem run of 2006-2008. Except for staunch Dems, voters were angry everywhere.

It was entitled Democrat incumbents that lost in droves in 2010.

The big breaker in this "throw the incumbent bums out" for those that have continued to cling to power despite these political forces as of late (Occupy and Tea Party) is the 2010 census. Population shifts = redistricting = more craziness.

pphilfran
7/25/2012, 01:33 PM
I have been on record...throw the incumbent bums out...

badger
7/25/2012, 02:16 PM
I have been on record...throw the incumbent bums out...

I have also been on record, but unlike you (I assume), I actually threw my incumbent bum out. Oklahoma Congressional District 1, bay-bee :P

http://www.thepoliticalguide.com/Images/reps/johnsullivan.jpg
"I'm John Sullivan, and even last-second crazy spending couldn't save me from primary election defeat against some n00b who was in the Air Force. Gawd, voters are patriotic. Or perhaps, they thought 12 years of me was enough."

rock on sooner
7/25/2012, 02:24 PM
It has *NOTHING* to do with race. It has to do with the fact that the dems try to steal every election!

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/virginia-politics/2012/jul/25/tdmain01-romney-camp-asks-va-to-probe-voter-forms-ar-2081517/

Were you able to type this with a straight face?

Skysooner
7/25/2012, 04:24 PM

Were you able to type this with a straight face?

Of course they can. They buy into right wing kool-aid so much that they don't recognize posters who do their own thinking (and note to all you hard core RW I do not watch or listen to politics, I make up my own mind)

TitoMorelli
7/25/2012, 05:25 PM
Of course they can. They buy into right wing kool-aid so much that they don't recognize posters who do their own thinking (and note to all you hard core RW I do not watch or listen to politics, I make up my own mind)

In other words you prefer to be completely un-informed rather than risk being mis-informed?

8timechamps
7/25/2012, 07:11 PM
I didn't read the article linked, but I really don't understand how anyone could argue against voter ID requirements. If you can't buy tobacco without showing an ID, you shouldn't be able to vote without showing one.

olevetonahill
7/25/2012, 07:31 PM
I didn't read the article linked, but I really don't understand how anyone could argue against voter ID requirements. If you can't buy tobacco without showing an ID, you shouldn't be able to vote without showing one.
This

SanJoaquinSooner
7/25/2012, 07:36 PM
So on this photo ID deal, can a poll worker deny you a ballot if he or she thinks you don't look like the photo?

Skysooner
7/25/2012, 07:37 PM
Im completely informed but not by biased sources as much as I can help it. Plus I know quite a bit already. New research into something I may not know if I am interested. I find it funny how much faux and actual rage occurs among the extreme RW for business as usual. I have lots OF education and many years of keeping on top of things. I don't need people telling me how to think or being outraged when I don't agree exactly with them.

pphilfran
7/25/2012, 07:38 PM
Give out a free picture ID when one registers to vote....

East Coast Bias
7/25/2012, 07:45 PM
We have circled the wagons on this argument over and over.I am pretty sure democrats are not interested in registering pets to vote. It is heavily documented that voter fraud is not numerically significant. I don't have a problem with voter registration, my problem is the timing of all these initiatives and the underlying motives behind them. Why can't we agree to work on all this after the election? It is much more plausible that Republicans are trying to disenfranchise the lower end of the Democratic base than to make a case that Dems are trying to steal an election. Lets see some numbers on voter fraud?

cleller
7/25/2012, 08:34 PM
I'm sure the Dems don't really want to sign up pets to vote. Just people with similar intelligence.

rock on sooner
7/25/2012, 09:06 PM
We have circled the wagons on this argument over and over.I am pretty sure democrats are not interested in registering pets to vote. It is heavily documented that voter fraud is not numerically significant. I don't have a problem with voter registration, my problem is the timing of all these initiatives and the underlying motives behind them. Why can't we agree to work on all this after the election? It is much more plausible that Republicans are trying to disenfranchise the lower end of the Democratic base than to make a case that Dems are trying to steal an election. Lets see some numbers on voter fraud?

Ain't no fraud, if one or two cases show up anywhere, it's an aberration.
Pubs can say that, so can Dems. Fair statement about the disenfranchisement
stuff...Pubs been squawkin bout this fer years. Everybody thinks about
Chicago politics...old news. Should just stick to the facts...IMO.

okie52
7/25/2012, 09:35 PM
I'm sure the Dems don't really want to sign up pets to vote. Just people with similar intelligence.

Now that's funny.

okie52
7/25/2012, 09:39 PM
Ain't no fraud, if one or two cases show up anywhere, it's an aberration.
Pubs can say that, so can Dems. Fair statement about the disenfranchisement
stuff...Pubs been squawkin bout this fer years. Everybody thinks about
Chicago politics...old news. Should just stick to the facts...IMO.

Disenfranchisement.(a lib code word?)...another word for laziness and stupidity.

If voter IDs keep this type of rabble from voting I'm all for it.

Curly Bill
7/26/2012, 12:17 AM
Disenfranchisement.(a lib code word?)...another word for laziness and stupidity.

What you said.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/26/2012, 01:29 AM
I think the bulk of the laws, allow for one to vote provisionally and they set up free id card photo sessions. It is not a poll tax. I fail to see the other side against id's unless they are for anarchy.

diverdog
7/26/2012, 03:32 AM

Okie:

This is a red herrihg. Most people who are on the welfare rolls are children. I also find it funny that you guys are blasting the poor when the poorest states in this country are the red states. So explain to me how in any way, shape or form this affects the election?

okie52
7/26/2012, 05:48 AM
Okie:

This is a red herrihg. Most people who are on the welfare rolls are children. I also find it funny that you guys are blasting the poor when the poorest states in this country are the red states. So explain to me how in any way, shape or form this affects the election?

I don't use the word "disenfranchised", that's totally the dems and they're using it to describe people that can't get to the polls because they are usually poor, lazy and stupid. They are in every state and will usually vote dem. Children have nothing to do with it.

Bourbon St Sooner
7/26/2012, 12:32 PM
I don't need people telling me how to think or being outraged when I don't agree exactly with them.

You just feel the need to tell other people what they should think or feel outraged about.

diverdog
7/26/2012, 12:33 PM
I don't use the word "disenfranchised", that's totally the dems and they're using it to describe people that can't get to the polls because they are usually poor, lazy and stupid. They are in every state and will usually vote dem. Children have nothing to do with it.

No disenfranchisement is when voter rolls are purged or new rules are made up to keep people from voting. Your definition describes more than 50% of all Americans across all income strata.

okie52
7/26/2012, 12:40 PM
No disenfranchisement is when voter rolls are purged or new rules are made up to keep people from voting. Your definition describes more than 50% of all Americans across all income strata.

50% of the voters are too poor or stupid or lazy to get a voter ID card? You may be right although they did register at one time to vote. Of course the states could mail free voter ID cards to their citizenry.

All income stratas...LOL, yeah, that's what the dems are worried about. Those rich white guys probably will blow the whole thing off.

Position Limit
7/26/2012, 01:00 PM
you know what would be great? if we could just not allow the 50% of "stupid, lazy" people out there to vote. eject women too. hell, just get rid of the whole voting process and appoint nothing but republicans to every office. local, state and federal. would that finally shut these whiney bi**hes up once and for all? i swear humps like okie52 are just like the people that blame refs or anthing on a loss. it's never on them. ever. he's convinced every election has been stolen by democrats. well every election but 2000. right? moron. lets get rid of every regulation on the books too and cut taxes to zero. guns for everybody too. no limit. okie52 could happily toil away in his cubical knowing his ceo is paying zero taxes and hooking him up with a nice watch. kennedy stole the election from nixon. chicago politics blah blah blah. gee how great of a pres would nixon have been over kennedy. oh what could have been.....it's always some scapegoat. the media. the lazy. the voting machines. nancy pelosi. pick any of them. when romney gets mopped the f**k up in nov, all excuses will be on full display for years to come. history will be rewritten. skewed. talking points will be hand delivered.

ok rant over. please carry on with the agnst toward poor lazy unworthies.....

pphilfran
7/26/2012, 01:14 PM
Hmmmm....

The first time you register to vote you must present identification....

Hmmmmm....

If you register by mail Federal Law requires you to present ID when voting for the first time....

Exceptions....

North Dakota which does not require any voter registration
Wyoming does not accept mail in registration
New Hampshire town and city clerks will accept this application only as a request for their own absentee voter mail‑in registration form.
http://www.eac.gov/assets/1/Documents/national%20mail%20voter%20registration%20form%20en glish%20February%2015%202011.pdf

Each State has its own laws about who may register and vote. Check the information under your State in the State Instructions. All States require that you be a United States citizen by birth or naturalization to register to vote in federal and State elections. Federal law makes it illegal to falsely claim U.S. citizenship to register to vote in any federal, State, or local election. You cannot be registered to vote in more than one place at a time.

Mail your application to the address listed under your State in the State Instructions. Or, deliver the application in person to your local voter registration office. The States that are required to accept the national form will accept copies of the application printed from the computer image on regular paper stock, signed by the applicant, and mailed in an envelope with the correct postage.

If you are registering to vote for the first time in your jurisdiction and are mailing this registration application, Federal law requires you to show proof of identification the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes:
• A current and valid photo identification or
• A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
Voters may be exempt from this requirement if they submit a COPY of this identification with their mail in voter registration form. If you wish to submit a COPY, please keep the following in mind:
• Your state may have additional identification requirements which may mandate you show identification at the polling place even if you meet the Federal proof of identification.
• Do not submit original documents with this application, only COPIES.

TitoMorelli
7/26/2012, 01:15 PM

Hit pretty close to home, eh?

pphilfran
7/26/2012, 01:15 PM
Funny how they are required to have ID to register....but asking for ID to vote is a poll tax...

badger
7/26/2012, 01:20 PM
Funny how they are required to have ID to register....but asking for ID to vote is a poll tax...

I am so inconvenienced!!!! :mad:

:P

olevetonahill
7/26/2012, 01:29 PM
you know what would be great? if we could just not allow the 50% of "stupid, lazy" people out there to vote. eject women too. hell, just get rid of the whole voting process and appoint nothing but republicans to every office. local, state and federal. would that finally shut these whiney bi**hes up once and for all? i swear humps like okie52 are just like the people that blame refs or anthing on a loss. it's never on them. ever. he's convinced every election has been stolen by democrats. well every election but 2000. right? moron. lets get rid of every regulation on the books too and cut taxes to zero. guns for everybody too. no limit. okie52 could happily toil away in his cubical knowing his ceo is paying zero taxes and hooking him up with a nice watch. kennedy stole the election from nixon. chicago politics blah blah blah. gee how great of a pres would nixon have been over kennedy. oh what could have been.....it's always some scapegoat. the media. the lazy. the voting machines. nancy pelosi. pick any of them. when romney gets mopped the f**k up in nov, all excuses will be on full display for years to come. history will be rewritten. skewed. talking points will be hand delivered.

You sir are an IDIOT

XingTheRubicon
7/26/2012, 01:42 PM

I hope it never gets so bad that we kill welfare recipients for sport, but if were to happen...I just pray they don't target your house first

okie52
7/26/2012, 02:02 PM

LOL....

Still taking your daily pablum, I see. Are you feeling disenfranchised? Power to the people! Right on! Hope and Change!!! Change you can believe in!!!!

BetterSoonerThanLater
7/26/2012, 02:39 PM
maybe in order to vote, everyone should serve in the military......

oh wait..their votes don't get counted anyway. nevermind

cleller
7/26/2012, 02:47 PM
I suppose if we required voters to show up sober, fully clothed, and obviously humanoid that would violate someone's rights, too.

rock on sooner
7/26/2012, 02:47 PM
You sir are an IDIOT

Aw, Vet, he was goin to sleep...ya prolly woke im up!

olevetonahill
7/26/2012, 02:50 PM
I suppose if we required voters to show up sober, fully clothed, and obviously humanoid that would violate someone's rights, too.

That would **** me the hell off.

olevetonahill
7/26/2012, 02:51 PM
Aw, Vet, he was goin to sleep...ya prolly woke im up!
In retrospect i prolly shoulda said hes a ****in Idiot , But Im too dayum nice a guy.

rock on sooner
7/26/2012, 02:53 PM
In retrospect i prolly shoulda said hes a ****in Idiot , But Im too dayum nice a guy.

Heh.:glee:

rock on sooner
7/26/2012, 02:56 PM

THAT'S why I vote absentee, but jus couldn't member
zactly...:glee:.

Bourbon St Sooner
7/26/2012, 03:49 PM

That would disenfranchise me for sure.

diverdog
7/26/2012, 03:53 PM

I have no problem presenting ID to vote. What I have a problem with is all the idiotic claims that the poor are to blame. Most of my family in Oklahoma was poor as **** and they voted.

okie52
7/26/2012, 04:28 PM
I have no problem presenting ID to vote. What I have a problem with is all the idiotic claims that the poor are to blame. Most of my family in Oklahoma was poor as **** and they voted.

Diver...catch up on the latest Dem talking points and PC slogans. The poor and minorities would be "disenfranchised" by voter IDs. Evidently the effort and brainpower it would take to get an ID would just overwhelm them.

"Disenfranchised" is one of my favorite dem PC buzz words. Undocumented workers is another.

LiveLaughLove
7/26/2012, 05:47 PM
Im completely informed but not by biased sources as much as I can help it. Plus I know quite a bit already. New research into something I may not know if I am interested. I find it funny how much faux and actual rage occurs among the extreme RW for business as usual. I have lots OF education and many years of keeping on top of things. I don't need people telling me how to think or being outraged when I don't agree exactly with them.

Maybe its just me, but I've read a few of your posts now without commenting, but I can't keep silent any longer.

You really come across as kind of a pompous jerk that thinks he is morally superior in some sort of narcissistic way.

I'm curious why you think your opinion is one inkling better than any other beyond "you don't drink KoolAid".

Square this:

With what you said above. If you don't watch or listen then you are uninformed and speaking out of your butt. If you do watch and listen then you are getting the biases of those you watch and listen, making you no better than anyone else here.

You have you're opinion, everyone else has theirs. climb down off of your high horse, you're bound to have a nose bleed.

PS being an extreme centrist is morally no better than being extreme left our right.

Skysooner
7/26/2012, 05:47 PM
Actually Rs want what Ds want and that is to get out their vote and suppress the other. Whether through ID laws, gerrymandering or picking on issues that are hot button that is all they want. What is honestly stupid about the whole thing is that we have the technology to make this a reasonably fair system.

I disagree with Okie52 on these voters being lazy. Ignorant I could agree with. It isnt always that easy once you move to figure out what is needed. I've moved to 5 different states in 22 years since college. They could make it much easier. It is really difficult to provide utility bills in situations where you aren't living somewhere permanent. Tie it to US identity and provide ID cards to all voters. Go to online for a vast majority of voters with secure procedures. Has to be better than what we have now.

cleller
7/26/2012, 07:06 PM
Diver...catch up on the latest Dem talking points and PC slogans. The poor and minorities would be "disenfranchised" by voter IDs. Evidently the effort and brainpower it would take to get an ID would just overwhelm them.

"Disenfranchised" is one of my favorite dem PC buzz words. Undocumented workers is another.

How about "marginalized"? As in: "A push to require voters to be able to identify themselves may leave some people that are unable to drive, work, read, write, or understand basic self sustaining concepts feeling marginalized."

Skysooner
7/26/2012, 07:46 PM

Maybe its just me, but I've read a few of your posts now without commenting, but I can't keep silent any longer.

You really come across as kind of a pompous jerk that thinks he is morally superior in some sort of narcissistic way.

I'm curious why you think your opinion is one inkling better than any other beyond "you don't drink KoolAid".

Square this:

With what you said above. If you don't watch or listen then you are uninformed and speaking out of your butt. If you do watch and listen then you are getting the biases of those you watch and listen, making you no better than anyone else here.

You have you're opinion, everyone else has theirs. climb down off of your high horse, you're bound to have a nose bleed.

PS being an extreme centrist is morally no better than being extreme left our right.

Of course I watch and listen. I happen to be well educated and informed. I am saying I don't listen to obviously biased sources on either side of the aisle. I have watched your posts too. I never comment as I feel discussing things with such a hardcore biased attitude is futile as you getting me to believe anything you say is a waste of your time. Extreme centrist? Total misusage of the meaning, but I think that is about what I can expect from you.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/26/2012, 10:33 PM

]

It turns out that 758,939 registered Pennsylvania voters do not have the most easily obtained and widely used photo ID, a state driver’s license. That’s an incredible 9.2 percent of the registered electorate....

Most of the voters without driver’s licenses live in urban areas. More than 185,000 of these voters without licenses, about one-fourth of the total, live in Philadelphia — which just happens to be a Democratic stronghold.

....the Justice Department under Bush conducted an extensive, nationwide, five-year probe of voter fraud — and ended up convicting a grand total of 86 individuals, according to a 2007 New York Times report. Most of the cases involved felons or immigrants who may not have known they were ineligible to vote.

Not one case involved the only kind of fraud that voter ID could theoretically prevent: impersonation of a registered voter by someone else. Pennsylvania and other voter ID states have, in essence, passed laws that will be highly effective in eradicating unicorns.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/eugene-robinson-the-gops-crime-against-voters/2012/07/09/gJQAopcCZW_story.html

Curly Bill
7/26/2012, 10:35 PM
It turns out that 758,939 registered Pennsylvania voters do not have the most easily obtained and widely used photo ID, a state driver’s license. That’s an incredible 9.2 percent of the registered electorate....

Most of the voters without driver’s licenses live in urban areas. More than 185,000 of these voters without licenses, about one-fourth of the total, live in Philadelphia — which just happens to be a Democratic stronghold.

....the Justice Department under Bush conducted an extensive, nationwide, five-year probe of voter fraud — and ended up convicting a grand total of 86 individuals, according to a 2007 New York Times report. Most of the cases involved felons or immigrants who may not have known they were ineligible to vote.

Not one case involved the only kind of fraud that voter ID could theoretically prevent: impersonation of a registered voter by someone else. Pennsylvania and other voter ID states have, in essence, passed laws that will be highly effective in eradicating unicorns.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/eugene-robinson-the-gops-crime-against-voters/2012/07/09/gJQAopcCZW_story.html

Good! Because like illegals and dead people, unicorns shouldn't be able to vote.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/27/2012, 12:09 AM
Good! Because like illegals and dead people, unicorns shouldn't be able to vote.

But you'll fight for their right to buy AK-47s!

Curly Bill
7/27/2012, 12:13 AM
But you'll fight for their right to buy AK-47s!

As long as they have proper ID.

diverdog
7/27/2012, 06:25 AM

You know I am not sure why this is a big deal. In Delaware you have to show an ID to vote. Everyone here has a drivers license or state ID. I would think you would need one or the other to get government services, cash a check or open a bank account. Are there really that many people out there running around without an ID?

okie52
7/27/2012, 08:01 AM
How about "marginalized"? As in: "A push to require voters to be able to identify themselves may leave some people that are unable to drive, work, read, write, or understand basic self sustaining concepts feeling marginalized."

Yeah, marginalized is another good one. May have to make a game of it some time to see how many PC terms can be fit into one sentence.

okie52
7/27/2012, 08:04 AM
You know I am not sure why this is a big deal. In Delaware you have to show an ID to vote. Everyone here has a drivers license or state ID. I would think you would need one or the other to get government services, cash a check or open a bank account. Are there really that many people out there running around without an ID?

I really don't know how many people are ID challenged here in OK. They were showing DLs in the last election. I just get a kick out of how upset some dems get about it.

rock on sooner
7/27/2012, 08:15 AM
SanJuaquinSooner, ya shunt argue with CB, that's like sword fightin
with Zorro:congratulatory:

pphilfran
7/27/2012, 08:29 AM

How did those 758,939 without a DL or other ID register to vote in Penn?

They must present ID the first time they vote....that is fed law...

http://www.votespa.com/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1174117&parentname=ObjMgr&parentid=1&mode=2

SanJoaquinSooner
7/27/2012, 11:25 AM
How did those 758,939 without a DL or other ID register to vote in Penn?

They must present ID the first time they vote....that is fed law...

http://www.votespa.com/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1174117&parentname=ObjMgr&parentid=1&mode=2

Social Security number to register.

Are you sure about federal law requiring presenting ID first time you vote? So a college student can't vote by absentee ballot if it is his/her first time to vote?

pphilfran
7/27/2012, 12:18 PM

Are you sure about federal law requiring presenting ID first time you vote? So a college student can't vote by absentee ballot if it is his/her first time to vote?

http://www.eac.gov/assets/1/Documents/national%20mail%20voter%20registration%20form%20en glish%20February%2015%202011.pdf

If you register by mail you must show ID the first time you vote...if you register in person you must show ID to register...

If you are registering to vote for the first time in your jurisdiction and are mailing this registration application, Federal law requires you to show proof of identification the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes:
• A current and valid photo identification or
• A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
Voters may be exempt from this requirement if they submit a COPY of this identification with their mail in voter registration form. If you wish to submit a COPY, please keep the following in mind:
• Your state may have additional identification requirements which may mandate you show identification at the polling place even if you meet the Federal proof of identification.
• Do not submit original documents with this application, only COPIES.

pphilfran
7/27/2012, 12:19 PM
YOu must have ID to either register to vote or to vote the first time if you register by mail....

pphilfran
7/27/2012, 12:20 PM
Kinda blows you stance of not requiring an ID out of the water, doesn't it...

SanJoaquinSooner
7/27/2012, 04:02 PM
Kinda blows you stance of not requiring an ID out of the water, doesn't it...

I guess it does, given that the listed documents neither establish one's identity nor eligibility to vote:

A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.

okie52
7/27/2012, 04:17 PM

Does the SS# have to be for a living person?

soonercruiser
7/27/2012, 10:14 PM
Answer...."No"!
And if you're a Democrat, more than one person can use the same SSN.
:onthego:

Curly Bill
7/27/2012, 11:06 PM
SanJuaquinSooner, ya shunt argue with CB, that's like sword fightin
with Zorro:congratulatory:

:victorious: