PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Olympics

ouflak
7/25/2012, 07:50 AM
I'm betting we will win the 4x100 mens relay. I am going to try and catch one of the soccer games (the early round stuff is being hosted here in Manchester) myself. I do wish the U.S. team were playing. I won't have a place waive my huge flag that I got at the 2004 Olympics unless I go to London.

ouflak
7/25/2012, 07:51 AM
By the way, there is a vbet in the Sports Book forum (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?169279-7-26-8-12-2012-Olympics).

nighttrain12
7/25/2012, 12:39 PM
Why do they call Soccer, football in the Olympics? Women soccer stars Hope Solo and Alex Morgan are hot looking! Their USA team is playing today.

Eielson
7/25/2012, 03:01 PM
Lolo...

<3

8timechamps
7/25/2012, 07:15 PM
Looks like the US Women are going to win their opener against France. Seems strange that games begin before the games begin.

Anyway, OUflak, do you really think the US will win the men's 4x100? I hope so, but the Jamaica team looks stronger this year than they did in China. May have to put up some vbucks.

ouflak
7/26/2012, 02:05 AM
Looks like the US Women are going to win their opener against France. Seems strange that games begin before the games begin.

That was a nice win there. Apparently that French team had been on a 17 game win streak that included a recent victory over the American team. A very good way to start.

Anyway, OUflak, do you really think the US will win the men's 4x100? I hope so, but the Jamaica team looks stronger this year than they did in China. May have to put up some vbucks.Let's just say I'm more than happy to put my vMoney where my vMouth is.

BBQ Man
7/27/2012, 03:45 PM
I saw that http://www.CustomSportsSchedule.com has the Olympic tv schedule so you don't have to work through that awful NBC Olympic schedule.

8timechamps
7/28/2012, 05:10 PM
I typically don't watch the opening ceremonies, but I did watch the Beijing opening ceremony, and thought it was pretty damn cool. Last night, I was confused about what exactly was going on. I kinda followed it until the sick kids in bed came out, then I just figured I was missing the artistic interpretation. Anyway, glad the games have started.

Events that I watch, that I normally would never watch on TV:

Sand Volleyball (it really doesn't hurt that the women wear almost nothing)
Fencing
Volleyball in general
Badminton
BMX

Of course I'll catch the big events (hoops, track & field, swimming, etc.), but I like watching some of the other stuff just because I only watch it in four year intervals.

Breadburner
7/28/2012, 07:09 PM
Why the **** was the womens soccer not on today...They had Great Britain playing Camaroon...Who gives a ****....!!

StoopTroup
7/28/2012, 09:42 PM
Phelps got Tebowed.

8timechamps
7/28/2012, 10:26 PM
Why the **** was the womens soccer not on today...They had Great Britain playing Camaroon...Who gives a ****....!!

Yeah, that was weak. The channel listings showed that the game was going to be on, then it changed at the last minute. WHY would they show GB/Cam over the US?

8timechamps
7/28/2012, 10:27 PM
Phelps got Tebowed.

Phelps got Lochte'd

nighttrain12
7/29/2012, 12:21 AM

Were you watching the 'NBCSports' channel because it was on there.

Breadburner
7/29/2012, 11:51 AM
Were you watching the 'NBCSports' channel because it was on there.

Not the US on Saturday....

StoopTroup
7/29/2012, 07:28 PM
Dana Vollmer swims for Gold and not only gets that but sets a new World Record!

AWESOME!

USA !!!

StoopTroup
7/29/2012, 07:30 PM
Phelps got Lochte'd

He's got that gator tattooed on him....he got Tebowed.

nighttrain12
7/30/2012, 12:17 AM
Not the US on Saturday....

Yes, it was on from 11am to 12:45pm. I watched most of the 2nd half.

8timechamps
7/31/2012, 06:34 PM
Yes, it was on from 11am to 12:45pm. I watched most of the 2nd half.

Maybe it was a regional issue. I had NBCSports on (because the listing showed the Women's game was going to be on), and it never came on. Just the GBR and Camaroon game).

Anyway, today's game (against N Korea was on, NBC I think).

nighttrain12
8/1/2012, 12:18 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/soccer/womens-soccer-fbw400.html

The QFinals are set in Womens soccer. All 4 of those matches are Friday the 3rd. USA plays New Zealand at 8:30am Central time.

jkjsooner
8/1/2012, 08:55 AM
Just have to put this out there. I'm getting a little tired of hearing about Phelps being the greatest Olympian ever. Don't get me wrong, he deserves a lot of accolades as the greatest swimmer ever and the most decorated Olympian ever but I think it's ridiculous to try to make apples and oranges comparisons between sports. There are a lot of great Olympians who have dominated their sport but just happen to be in a sport that only allows them to win one medal per Olympics.

Swimming has 34 events that give out 104 medals. It's not uncommon for swimmers to go home with a handful medals. If you look at the the list of medal winners (prior to this Olympics) who have won more than 10 medals, 21 of 27 are swimmers or gymnasts. Even track and field doesn't compare to these two...

Eielson
8/1/2012, 09:51 AM
Yeah, definitely agree with that. Phelps was great in 2008, but Bolt was better, and it wasn't even close.

nighttrain12
8/1/2012, 03:14 PM
Yeah, definitely agree with that. Phelps was great in 2008, but Bolt was better, and it wasn't even close.

In Phelps case though, he entered 8 different (all swimming) events and not only won gold in all 8 events, he set the world record in 7 of those events. In the other race, he 'only' set an Olympic record. Did Bolt set world record(s) in his 2008 events? Maybe he did, I don't know.

Also, Bolt could try other distances or track events like Phelps does in swimming, he just chose not to do so (though I recall Bolt may have entered a second event).

Edit: Did a little more research on Bolt:
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/track-field/usain-bolt-1020434/
He was 3 for 3 in Gold in 2008 Olympics and set world records in all 3. I think Bolt and Phelps are pretty much equals in their respective sports.

jkjsooner
8/1/2012, 04:54 PM
In Phelps case though, he entered 8 different (all swimming) events and not only won gold in all 8 events, he set the world record in 7 of those events. In the other race, he 'only' set an Olympic record. Did Bolt set world record(s) in his 2008 events? Maybe he did, I don't know.

Also, Bolt could try other distances or track events like Phelps does in swimming, he just chose not to do so (though I recall Bolt may have entered a second event).

Edit: Did a little more research on Bolt:
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/track-field/usain-bolt-1020434/
He was 3 for 3 in Gold in 2008 Olympics and set world records in all 3. I think Bolt and Phelps are pretty much equals in their respective sports.

Even if Bolt hadn't set the records, they were his records to begin with so him not setting them just means that he set his own bar really high.

I don't know if it's still true but I believe his contract paid him extra for setting records so he's intentionally progressively improved his time. The guy is so ridiculous that he can slow down to make sure that he doesn't break the record in a way that he can't top later.

Another argument for Bolt... We are built to run not swim. Kids run every day of their lives. Even if you are not a member of a track team, if you display exceptional running abilities (and you live in the West) someone is probably going to notice and encourage you to run track. A potential Usain Bolt is likely to be discovered. That means whether we ran track or not, our potential very likely was evaluated (either directly or passively) at one point or another.

Swimming is not nearly as open. You have to pretty much be on a team before you learn if you are gifted swimmer. That means a lot of potential Phelps's would never be discovered. You also have to consider the fact that the people who take up swimming (at least in the US) is limited. All that means that the pool of competitors is much lower.

8timechamps
8/1/2012, 06:35 PM
There's no question that Phelps deserves the accolades, and I don't think anyone doubts that he is the greatest Olympic swimmer of all time. But, I agree about the "greatest Olympian" thing. There is no way to compare Phelps to athletes in other sports. It happens that swimming provided Phelps with more opportunities to win than any other sport.

Phelps deserves the attention. He is an amazing athlete. But give the "greatest Olympian" thing a rest. I think Phelps himself is kind of tired of it.

StoopTroup
8/2/2012, 09:51 PM
And in the 200m backstroke...

Lochte gets Claryd

:D

StoopTroup
8/2/2012, 09:58 PM
And just so I have my say....

Phelps is one of the Greatest American Olympians we have ever had and he deserves to stand on the stage with whoever else anyone thinks should also be included on that stage whether it be Swimming, The Decathalon, Track and Field, shooting ect.

Also, Mark Spitz can stand right up there with Phelps as he set the mark decades ago. I think that Mark and Micheal are both satisfied with their accomplishments. Great Olympians.

jkjsooner
8/2/2012, 11:21 PM
Can't help myself from jumping on the same soapbox I did years ago when that black speed skater won a medal in the winter Olympics.

When is the media going to realize that "African American" is not a universal term? A black person from, say, England is not an African American.

When Bob Costas (and the various other media outlets) refers to Gabby's accomplishments by saying she's the first African American to win the all around gold in gymnastics, he is slighting her accomplishments. There has never been a black all around gymnast from America or anywhere else so while she is in fact the first African American to win the gold, she is also the first person of black descent to win the gold.

Sometimes people try to hard to be PC...

I swear I once heard them refer to a foreign competitor as an African American.

nighttrain12
8/3/2012, 12:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/soccer/story/_/id/8229751/2012-london-olympics-abby-wambach-sydney-leroux-score-us-women-defeat-new-zealand

Womens soccer (football) team won today 2-0 in the QF. They will play Monday in the Semis against the winner of Great Britain vs. Canada.

8timechamps
8/3/2012, 05:42 PM
Can't help myself from jumping on the same soapbox I did years ago when that black speed skater won a medal in the winter Olympics.

When is the media going to realize that "African American" is not a universal term? A black person from, say, England is not an African American.

When Bob Costas (and the various other media outlets) refers to Gabby's accomplishments by saying she's the first African American to win the all around gold in gymnastics, he is slighting her accomplishments. There has never been a black all around gymnast from America or anywhere else so while she is in fact the first African American to win the gold, she is also the first person of black descent to win the gold.

Sometimes people try to hard to be PC...

I swear I once heard them refer to a foreign competitor as an African American.

Agreed. The PC police have made the media lose sight of what "African American" even means. It's perfectly acceptable to say that Gabby was the first black Olympian to win an all around gymnastics gold.

StoopTroup
8/5/2012, 05:51 AM
I'm taking my Sauce and I'm going Home!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/kim-collins-dropped-olympic-race-st-kitts-nevis-120906392--oly.html;_ylt=AlmFJ7B4vTdT.bUZqBMCxVBEFN04;_ylu=X3 oDMTUwNmQ0Z2xnBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNaXhlZCBMaXN0IE9s eW1waWMgSGVhZGxpbmVzIDhVBHBrZwNiZWQ2N2JhYS0wNjE0LT MzNzAtYWMzMy0wODZhYTY4OGM2NzcEcG9zAzYEc2VjA01lZGlh Qkxpc3RNaXhlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgMxODJkODczMC1kZTM3LT ExZTEtOGZiZS02ODdkYmM5OTcxMjQ-;_ylg=X3oDMTE2Z2ppM3RwBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQD;_ylv=3

8timechamps
8/5/2012, 06:48 PM
I'm taking my Sauce and I'm going Home!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/kim-collins-dropped-olympic-race-st-kitts-nevis-120906392--oly.html;_ylt=AlmFJ7B4vTdT.bUZqBMCxVBEFN04;_ylu=X3 oDMTUwNmQ0Z2xnBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNaXhlZCBMaXN0IE9s eW1waWMgSGVhZGxpbmVzIDhVBHBrZwNiZWQ2N2JhYS0wNjE0LT MzNzAtYWMzMy0wODZhYTY4OGM2NzcEcG9zAzYEc2VjA01lZGlh Qkxpc3RNaXhlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgMxODJkODczMC1kZTM3LT ExZTEtOGZiZS02ODdkYmM5OTcxMjQ-;_ylg=X3oDMTE2Z2ppM3RwBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQD;_ylv=3

That was in interesting read. Honestly, I had never heard of St. Kitts or Kim Collins. But I think it's awesome that he packed a suitcase-o-hot sauce!

StoopTroup
8/6/2012, 09:29 AM
Serena winning that Gold Match in around an hour was awesome.

I wonder if she uses hot sauce? ;)

StoopTroup
8/6/2012, 09:33 AM
We still seem to have a shot at a medal in Men's Water Polo ?

If this isn't a delayed showing. We are playing Hungry. Seeing a Hun in a Speedo wasn't on my list of things I wanted to see today.

8timechamps
8/6/2012, 04:28 PM
I'm not a soccer fan, but I make an exception for the World Cup or the Olympics. I had the US women's (vs Canada) game on in my office and ended up watching the entire second half and extra time. Wow, what a game. GO USA!

nighttrain12
8/8/2012, 10:18 PM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/2012/top-nbc-moment-alex-morgans-goal.html

Here's the game winning goal in that US/Canada semi-final womens soccer match.

USA play Japan for the gold medal on Thursday at 1:45pm Central time.

StoopTroup
8/8/2012, 10:58 PM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/2012/top-nbc-moment-alex-morgans-goal.html

Here's the game winning goal in that US/Canada semi-final womens soccer match.

USA play Japan for the gold medal on Thursday at 1:45pm Central time.

Very cool. I'm getting a real feeling that the Olympics should farm out portions on their American coverage to different networks who aren't able to cover all the live events that have our Atheletes ho have a real shot at a medal. NBC has really spoiled so much of the outcomes of many events that I just listen to them all so I can just watch to see if they lid or misreported it....lol

I think NBC does some things very well but they really can't do it all and do justice to our many Atheletes who have worked so hard and deserve to be covered live.

8timechamps
8/9/2012, 05:28 PM
ST kind of eluded to this, but am I alone in thinking the NBC coverage has not been so great this year? I can't really pinpoint one thing, but it just doesn't seem as good as years past.

nighttrain12
8/9/2012, 09:04 PM
The Gold Medal winners in Women's soccer is TeamUSA after defeating Japan 2-1!

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/wahtMA0oCS6RAiiqo5cghA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0zODc7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2012-08-09T215255Z_1764805149_LM2E8891ORYOB_RTRMADP_3_OLY-SOCC-FBWSOC-FBW400101.JPG

StoopTroup
8/9/2012, 09:31 PM
ST kind of eluded to this, but am I alone in thinking the NBC coverage has not been so great this year? I can't really pinpoint one thing, but it just doesn't seem as good as years past.

Seems like they really are trying to fill Primetime with as much popular American Gold Medal Wins and Costas like break your heart stories that they really fail in covering new stars in sports that might not be everyday mainstream sports. Thing is...I don't think we the watchers care about mainstream as much as just seeing our Atheltes who are going to medal on TV. I think they have missed a bunch of folks who they didn't think might be Wheaties Atheletes.

The guy who won a gold in tae kwon do in Sydney and Athens and then a Bronze in Beijing is back to take a shot at what might be his last (4th) Olympic Medal Attempt and today is the 1st time I've seen them even talk about him. I'm guessing they didn't think he'd be able to even medal this time and now are shuffling to cover him and log another Bob Costas piece in Primetime.

This guy should be on a Wheaties Box and be an American Household name.

Steven Lopez age 34. An amazing guy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_López

StoopTroup
8/9/2012, 09:37 PM
Also...I know this gal has gotten some media attention but IMO has one of the greatest names since Cassius Clay.

Destinee Hooker

StoopTroup
8/9/2012, 09:43 PM
Another example Ashton Eaton getting some airtime well after he won the Gold in the Decathalon. We get to see re-runs of what should be another Bruce Jenner moment in Olympic History.

The Decathon should be one of the best covered events and now seems like an after thought and a Ho Hum moment for NBC.

It's like they spent most of their budget covering the swim team.

StoopTroup
8/9/2012, 09:46 PM
BTW...have any Whorns swimmers help out yet?

StoopTroup
8/9/2012, 09:56 PM
Why are we covering the 10m platform dive. The Chinese are winning. The closest athelete to the US is Mexico in 5th and Canada in 7th.

This being on Primetime is just another stupid decision by NBC IMO

StoopTroup
8/9/2012, 10:28 PM
It is cool to see Eaton and Hardee win Gold and Silver together. The words they had after winning is what it's all about. Two awesome guys.

StoopTroup
8/9/2012, 10:32 PM
Good Luck to Conner Fields in Supercross BMX! The Supercross facility looks cool but the Velodrome next to it also shows how much trouble the Brits went to to be good hosts.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7134/7740864174_2d1d347ac9_o.jpg

lexsooner
8/10/2012, 08:38 AM
Another example Ashton Eaton getting some airtime well after he won the Gold in the Decathalon. We get to see re-runs of what should be another Bruce Jenner moment in Olympic History.

The Decathon should be one of the best covered events and now seems like an after thought and a Ho Hum moment for NBC.

It's like they spent most of their budget covering the swim team.

Personally, track and field is what the Olympics are all about. The most amazing moment of the Games was in the Women's 10,000meter final when the Ethiopian woman took off at the start of the bell lap. She had been hanging with the others at the front, but in the final lap she took off with a kick like I have never seen before. Her stride changed from a distance runner's to that of a sprinter, and she blew away the field by a wide margin. Then afterwards, she was breathing normally. Super human.

I agree that there was too much swimming, too many events in fact. There are lots of distances and events in track and field, but athletes are so specialized that a runner cannot be competitive in more than two or so distances. A 100/200 meter runner cannot compete in middle or long distance events, and vice versa. In contrast, one swimmer can medal at a variety of distances and types of swimming strokes. The Chinese swimmer who won the 1,500 freestyle also won silver in the 200 freestyle (imagine Bolt winning a 200 meter sprint and then medaling in the 10,000 meter race). The point is that there is way too much overlap in the events in swimming (no pun intended), hence, too many events.

Some of the best stuff was on the other channels, not NBC. For some reason, women make up a large percentage of Olympic viewers, so they show lots of swimming, diving, gymnastics. Fencing was fun to watch even though I did not understand it very well. I'm not sure what happened to wrestling, but they have drastically changed the format in Greco-Roman and freestyle to the point that it bore no resemblance to the wrestling I used to watch. Anyway, it is mostly enjoyable, something to watch once every four years, with attention on sports which get no attention during any other time. The winners are for the most part from countries and families with money and resources. Watch the teams march and lots of them look like they came straight from sorority row.

StoopTroup
8/10/2012, 10:59 AM
I agree with you about the fencing Lex. Talk about a sport that has been changed by technology. It sure seemed like they had tried to make a ruling that would allow the athletes to
have the foils tested at any time but the one I saw when Korea had a huge lead on us in Team Fencing I think it was, the ref made a big deal out of us asking for a legal test and they had 4 or 5 officials get involved and finally make a ruling.

Right after that I think there was a double score which
ended the match. It's pretty obvious we had no chance in mounting a comeback and yet the Korean Coach even was against allowing a simple test of our weapon. The ruling didn't go our way as their is a rule that says if you touch the tip of the foil to the ground before the next fence happens, any test asked for isn't questionable but if I was going into the next fence, I'd think I would want to know if it worked.

They then wouldn't test her foil but allowed her to
Change out the one she was using with another foil. Now....WHY CAN'T SHE
HAVE THAT ONE TESTED?

I was like WTH am I seeing here?

I think it would be cool to see more of these Pre-Olympic events like Fencing on one of these ESPN channels I pay for but never have anything except a power 90 commercial on it...lol

lexsooner
8/10/2012, 11:47 AM
Of all the sports I came across, the only ones I turned away from were Greco-Roman wrestling, beach volleyball (too much of it), water polo (boring), and assorted team sports if they showed the whole match. Of course I also turned away if there was an interview of the athlete. Being a championship athlete does not mean that person is interesting. Now that McKayla whatshername who lost out of the gold on the vault would have been an interesting interview. Did you see that scowl and beatch face after her routine? The Russian tried to hug her, but she refused. She has apparently turned into a fark sensation due to her frowning face on the silver medal stand.

IronHorseSooner
8/12/2012, 11:32 AM
Here's something interesting...the Thunder had 4 guys in the Gold Medal Game- Durant, Westbrook, Harden, ad Ibaka (Spain)!!!

StoopTroup
8/12/2012, 12:16 PM
The Basketball Game was really good. Spain gave us a good game.

The Mountain Bike competition they had 25 miles outside of London was awesome. Even though the US athlete came in 10th, that was a grueling and amazing event and I think the Brits did a great job of making a very challenging course. It was really fun to watch this morning.

marfacowboy
8/12/2012, 12:16 PM
Here's something interesting...the Thunder had 4 guys in the Gold Medal Game- Durant, Westbrook, Harden, ad Ibaka (Spain)!!!

Yeah, "Air Congo" claiming to be Spanish. He's as Spanish as Marc Gasol is American. In fact, Gasol probably could get citizenship since he spent his teenage years in Memphis/Germantown. His parents are still there.

lexsooner
8/12/2012, 06:26 PM
The Spanish team had several strong NBA players and a number of others who had or could have played in the NBA. They have been together for years and played like a team. USA was a collection of NBA stars who practiced together for a few months. It showed. The US had too much talent, and despite the lack of size and experience playing together, they pulled it off. If we could get our stars to commit over the long run, nobody would come close to them.

IMHO, there was way too much attention payed to beach volleyball. Nobody gives a rat's behind about it during non-Olympic events, so why all this fawning over the sport and the gold medalists? I understand the attention payed to our hoops players and the women's soccer team, but they are headline makers whenever they are in action. I really wanted Team USA to win the men's basketball, but Misty May Walsh Trainor? Who cares?

The big individual star of the Games was Usain Bolt. He is naturally cocky and charismatic and he dominated every event in which he competed. He was a larger than life character who will be long remembered. Phelps won a ton of medals, but quite frankly, he is kind of a dull guy, possibly in both meanings of the word. Plus, there were too many swimming events, so he can win a bunch of medals due to the overlap of events. Ryan Lochte? Well, if you notice, his commercials just plain vanished.

StoopTroup
8/13/2012, 08:07 PM
Yeah, "Air Congo" claiming to be Spanish. He's as Spanish as Marc Gasol is American. In fact, Gasol probably could get citizenship since he spent his teenage years in Memphis/Germantown. His parents are still there.

It's not like he had much choice. He used Spain and the ability to play basketball that he got from his parents as an escape amongst his mother's untimely death and his father's imprisonment during the 2nd Congo War.