PDA

View Full Version : Stoops/Media Day

8timechamps
7/23/2012, 08:38 PM
Today kicked off media say for the Big XII, and HCBS took the stage this morning. Here are a few highlights from what he had to say:

Two receivers that will be "mainstays" are Stills and Metoyer. Will wait and see how the newcomers progress in camp.

Whaley has been completely cleared to return. Won't know if he is 100% until he makes his first cut at full speed in practice (although Whaley told Stoops he was 100%)

Door "still open" for suspended players to return, but nothing new to report (suspended players are not on scholarship).

Geneo Grissom officially moved from DE to TE. It was Grissoms idea.

UTEP game moved to 9:30pm CT due to extreme heat.

Would like to see Millard get at least 10 touches a game.

Expecting big things from OL Tyrus Thompson (the only "new" O-lineman).

Landry Jones only taking one class this fall.

Expects freshmen DEs Charles Tapper and Michael Onauhu to see playing time this year. Chuka Ndulue has been coming on strong at DE.

Excited to have Mike back, "we've had consistent success when we coach together".

Overall, nothing surprising. Although there was one question from a reporter that Stoops got a little aggravated about. Here's the question and response:

Q. Landry struggled at the end of last season. What have you asked him to improve on moving forward into 2012?

A. COACH STOOPS: I didn't ask him to have to improve on anything. I asked (told) about ten guys around him they needed to improve. Kind of like I said, everybody -- Landry struggled. No, he didn't. The offense struggled. He had more dropped passes in the last three games maybe --we couldn't even keep track of how many. Didn't run the football as effectively as we needed to at all. All of that goes together. And so to me it's more of an issue of the offense and the offense around him than it is him

zseese
7/23/2012, 09:02 PM
Like you said the first bit isn't really surprising, but glad to see stoops stand up for stache (even though we all know he always will) and he is not wrong either, I hate to see a good guy like jones get such a bad rap when he had nearly as good of numbers as bradford while having to play with key injuries to offensive leaders and a lot of offensive shortcomings all around him...

SoonerMarkVA
7/23/2012, 09:40 PM
Would like to see Millard get at least 10 touches a game.

YES! And I don't mean 10 passes to him in the flat. I'd like to see him get some time lined up at TB, get some blasts at FB, and get some passes, or even get some touches out of the "shot bone". He's a beast and good things will happen when he's got the ball.

goingoneight
7/25/2012, 06:12 PM
I love Millard's role in OU's offense and I agree he could be used a little more. I also kind of think he might be getting the Dejuan Miller treatment in the eyes of the fans. We've seen quite a few players who looked a bit different when their roles were increased. Like--

Paul Thompson... the "running" quarterback.
Dejuan Miller looks like a beast everytime he's out there (2009 and 2010 glimpses of DM). He should start!
Trey Franks... the "playmaker with SPEED."
Ronnell Lewis, the "linebacker."

I like how we use him now and think some more carries from an ACTUAL fullback position (ditch the damb pistol formation!) a TE shovel pass or two, maybe even let him Millar-dozer people.

8timechamps
7/25/2012, 06:17 PM
I'm really hoping (and it sounds like it's the case) that the coaches sat down in the off season and watched tape from last year and saw how well Millard ran the ball. Then decided he needs more touches.

IMO, Millard needs to increase his NFL stock, and fullbacks aren't exactly a hot commodity at the next level. I see Millard being like a Peyton Hillis in the NFL. The Broncos never used Hillis the way they should have, then he goes to Cleveland and explodes. I hope to see Millard in a similar role for the Sooners this year.

Speck
7/25/2012, 07:16 PM
Landry Jones only taking one class this fall.
Doesn't a player have to be a full time student to play?

8timechamps
7/25/2012, 07:18 PM

Probably (I really don't know, but that sounds right). However, Since LJ is a senior, he's probably almost done...so the requirement may not apply to those situations. He's taking Art History (or something along those lines) as his single class.

olevetonahill
7/25/2012, 07:37 PM

"Ball Room dancing ting any bells?

badger
7/26/2012, 08:03 AM
Anybody gonna be in front of TV in the next hour? I think I saw on Mike and Mike that Stoops was gonna be on either 8:30 or 8:40 Oklahoma time.

picasso
7/26/2012, 02:23 PM
Not if it's his last season.

badger
7/26/2012, 02:28 PM
Not if it's his last season.
As long as they're headed toward graduation it's fine. 30 credits per classification. So in other words, a sophomore must have completed (read: passing grades) at least 30 credits. A good reason to redshirt so you have more time to complete that coursework for future eligibility! 60 to be junior, 90 to be a senior, etc.

In Jason White's case, he probably had his 90 all sealed up long before his sixth and final year of eligibility :D