PDA

View Full Version : 12 dead in Aurora

Skysooner
7/23/2012, 08:14 PM
Since I live in close proximity to this theater and know the effect this has had on our community, I will say we need some responsible gun control laws. Either training to acquire a gun or at least real restrictions on the number of bullets one gun can have. You can't stop total psychos from doing stuff like this, and this was very methodically planned by this total nimrod. What you have to have is a restriction on what these psychos can do in one burst and guns available in places like theaters that might have stopped them. I don't want guns in the hands of untrained people since honestly it takes no more than a couple of hours to at least give a person an idea not to shoot unless they have a proper target. I'm not sure yet that someone wasn't injured or killed by people carrying in the theater. Likely we will never know. Still to allow this ahole the ability to get a 100 round magazine was ridiculous. Nobody needs that. Having now known people killed in the 1986 Edmond post office massacre and now the 2012 Aurora theater killings, I'm just plain tired of all of this s***.

Note, I'm not blaming the NRA. I blame the parents (partially) and people around who didn't see the obvious mental illness in this guy.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 08:37 PM
Here we go
Wondered how long it would take for some LW to bring This Gun control **** up.

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 08:41 PM
Good luck with that Sky. Neither political party has the heart to take on people like me and the NRA. Ask the donks who lost their seats after they helped Clinton pass the assault weapons ban, which was useless by the way.

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 08:43 PM
....and yeah, Vet and I had already discussed how long it would be before one of the lefties would bring this up over here.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 08:45 PM
I posted this yesterday at the Hideout ,It deals with that 100 rd Drum mag yer talking about, Be very glad He had that thing because it Caused his weapon to Jam.

They keep tryin to make a big deal out of How brilliant this wacko is and that he had 6k rds and a 100 rd Drum Mag

What they dont understand is the simple fact those things are worthless, and only a complete Idiot about guns would ever buy and or try to use one except for playing around

I garentee that I could get off more rds faster and more accurate with 5, 20 rd mags than yer local college idiot with a 100 rd drum

If there had been just ONE CC person there with any kind of Balls . they could have giving that punk the Hindu decoration and ended that **** before it got so bad

Skysooner
7/23/2012, 08:47 PM
So you need 100 rounds in a magazine? We have to get education now in Oklahoma. Hmm LW? You don't know me at all. I have hunted and now I think I might get a conceal and carry license. How many massacres do we need to have responsible gun laws?

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 08:48 PM
....and yeah, Vet and I had already discussed how long it would be before one of the lefties would bring this up over here.

Actually took a lot longer than I thot it would. Of course the Media keeps harping on the subject and eventually the sheep will follow where they are led.

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 08:50 PM
So you need 100 rounds in a magazine? We have to get education now in Oklahoma. Hmm LW? You don't know me at all. I have hunted and now I think I might get a conceal and carry license. How many massacres do we need to have responsible gun laws?

How many laws did that lunatic already break? What makes you think a few more would have stopped him? All "responsible gun laws" does is affect those of us inclined to follow the law in the first place.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 08:50 PM

Where did I say ya needed a 100 in one Mag?
I said they were worthless and that was what caused the Loons Weapon to jam

Edit to add
we Have responsible gun laws , Now we need to responsibly enforce them

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 08:51 PM
Actually took a lot longer than I thot it would. Of course the Media keeps harping on the subject and eventually the sheep will follow where they are led.

Yep. Talk about it long enough and with enough verve the sheep will be convinced.

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 08:54 PM
I'm going to make a donation to the NRA before I get off the computer tonight, and Wednesday, (I'm busy tomorrow), I'm going to go buy a Sig Sauer 516 "assault rifle." I'll also be buying some extra 20 or 30 round magazines. And I'll prolly buy yet more .223 ammo.

I'm going to try and balance out the work of the gun grabbers.

Skysooner
7/23/2012, 08:55 PM
Didn't see that post before I posted. Agreed that more laws such as we have won't necessarily help but at the minimum require lessons and no big magazines. That gives idiots like this too much power.

I wish the police had shot and killed him outside the theater. Some LW? Again you dont know me.

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 08:55 PM
I'm going to make a donation to the NRA before I get off the computer tonight, and Wednesday, (I'm busy tomorrow), I'm going to go buy a Sig Sauer 516 "assault rifle." I'll also be buying some extra 20 or 30 round magazines. And I'll prolly buy yet more .223 ammo.

...and as a law-abiding gun owner Ima do nothing with that stuff except lock it in the safe, take it out ever once in a while to shoot a can with, and have it there when and if I ever really need it.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 08:57 PM

All I have anymore is My SK and about 10 30 rd Mags
Prolly need to buy another case er 2 of ammo tho Im down to 1/2 a case right now

rock on sooner
Ima left of center...said this many times...Im progun..you aint gettin my
Korean vintage M1 carbine les im ded..but for Chrissakes..we need to find
a way to get a handle on AK47's er AR15's....find a way to track or find a
way to at least keep track of them and know whose got em and know the
background and be able to routinely follow up. If we can't do that then maybe
put a requirement on reporting each legal sale...apparently all these incidents
are legal buys.

Pipe dream? Yup, but maybe one or two or more get stopped. These sales
should FLAG locally and can be checked. Hell, guys, I dunno, but aint no freakin
way NRA can defend this crap...jes sayin...

Skysooner
No sheep here Curly. Just tired of seeing people killed in stupid things like this. I heard the multiple ambulances headed there and turned on the news.

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 08:59 PM
You guys can look for all the simple-minded solutions you want, but you're not doing anything except wasting time and effort because I'm just telling ya: **** into the wind, or try to pass some more gun laws. See which one gets ya the furthest.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:02 PM
No sheep here Curly. Just tired of seeing people killed in stupid things like this. I heard the multiple ambulances headed there and turned on the news.

If yer not a LW then I apologize
Bottom line is You cant Stop a Lunatic.
Like I said be Glad that dude was as stupid about Guns as he was, That 100 Rd Mag doomed his plan to fail . Any one with any weapon sense knows they are un reliable and will more than likely cause a jam. which it did

Like I said I could get off a 100 rds almost as fast with 5 , 20 rd mags . and have a very low probability of a jam

Those wepons are designed to be balanced and that much weight throws that way out of whack

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 09:04 PM
Yup, as someone who knows a little about guns, if I planned on taking out as many people as possible I would never have used a 100 round drum magazine.

rock on sooner
7/23/2012, 09:04 PM
Posts from #4 thru #14 got on before my post so not sure how
relevant I am but, Geez, can't find a way to justify what this
guy bought and how he could be under the radar. No way...
absolutely no way...

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:06 PM
Ima left of center...said this many times...Im progun..you aint gettin my
Korean vintage M1 carbine les im ded..but for Chrissakes..we need to find
a way to get a handle on AK47's er AR15's....find a way to track or find a
way to at least keep track of them and know whose got em and know the
background and be able to routinely follow up. If we can't do that then maybe
put a requirement on reporting each legal sale...apparently all these incidents
are legal buys.

Pipe dream? Yup, but maybe one or two or more get stopped. These sales
should FLAG locally and can be checked. Hell, guys, I dunno, but aint no freakin
way NRA can defend this crap...jes sayin...
I Know lets let Holder and company track this stuff That should do it .Give me a break bro There are lunatics out there and theres not a dayum thing You or I can do about them except be prepared.

Now Please tell me or show me where the N.R.A. has EVER defended "This crap"
Yer knee jerkin bro

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 09:08 PM
It never fails that after one of these people look for simple-minded solutions.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:10 PM
Posts from #4 thru #14 got on before my post so not sure how
relevant I am but, Geez, can't find a way to justify what this
guy bought and how he could be under the radar. No way...
absolutely no way...

Dude come on. Except maybe that silly 100 rd mag, the weapons and ammo, Everything he bought can and is used in Reenactments, Paint ball wars etc.
Ya gonna make all of them register their toys?

rock on sooner
7/23/2012, 09:11 PM
I Know lets let Holder and company track this stuff That should do it .Give me a break bro There are lunatics out there and theres not a dayum thing You or I can do about them except be prepared.

Now Please tell me or show me where the N.R.A. has EVER defended "This crap"
Yer knee jerkin bro

Vet, I hear ya, but every time something like this happens and any politican talks about
gun control the NRA trots out the 2nd and I AGREE, but, dayum, give me some idea
of a solution. I know ya cant stop nutcases but oughta be a way to get a better handle.
Aint a knee jerk, just a cry for some kind of sensibility.

Skysooner
7/23/2012, 09:13 PM
Agreed Curly. I am really hoping this doesn't turn into a political issue. It will, but I would hope we would have responsible gun owners allowed to carry in places like this. At least it might give the lunatics pause for thought.

rock on sooner
7/23/2012, 09:14 PM
It never fails that after one of these people look for simple-minded solutions.

Curly, aint lookin for simple minded, just lookin for ANY solution. Understand
bein prepared but, Geez, gotta be a better way!

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 09:18 PM
Agreed Curly. I am really hoping this doesn't turn into a political issue. It will, but I would hope we would have responsible gun owners allowed to carry in places like this. At least it might give the lunatics pause for thought.

I've always said: if I wanted to kill a bunch of people there are certain places I'd go knowing that no one is likely to be armed and thus no threat until the police can get there. It's a shame some places, and we know what they are, insist that anyone inside be a sitting duck for anyone like this. Concealed carry by responsible gun owners can at least help prevent this crap. Instead the gun-banners would do away with concealed carry and have us even more at the mercy of peeps that like this that aren't going to follow the laws, no matter how many new guns laws you throw at them.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:19 PM

Stop and think about Switzerland fer a minute ok?
EVERY male there is required to have a FULL automatic weapon , Plus they are required to serve 2 years in the Military . They have very littl violent crime

There yer answer
Everyone is armed and every one Has to serve 2 years .
If they cant serve they cant Own a weapon simple

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 09:21 PM

I understand people's need for a solution in the aftermath of things like this, but there isn't a solution. People throughout history have killed one another, and they'll do it with whatever they can get their hands on. Had this guy not had his stupid drum magazine, he might have went in there with a bomb or two. No new laws are going to deter people like him, they're only going to affect people like us that are inclined to follow the law in the first place.

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 09:24 PM
Stop and think about Switzerland fer a minute ok?
EVERY male there is required to have a FULL automatic weapon , Plus they are required to serve 2 years in the Military . They have very littl violent crime

There yer answer
Everyone is armed and every one Has to serve 2 years .
If they cant serve they cant Own a weapon simple

You're preaching to the choir brother! I know full good and well the answer is not to try and disarm the law-abiding folks like us, and in the end that's all these "responsible gun laws" do. It might make people feel better, that they've done something, and it helps the people that can't stand guns sleep better at night, but it's pissing into the wind, and any honest person will admit that.

rock on sooner
7/23/2012, 09:25 PM
I've always said: if I wanted to kill a bunch of people there are certain places I'd go knowing that no one is likely to be armed and thus no threat until the police can get there. It's a shame some places, and we know what they are, insist that anyone inside be a sitting duck for anyone like this. Concealed carry by responsible gun owners can at least help prevent this crap. Instead the gun-banners would do away with concealed carry and have us even more at the mercy of peeps that like this that aren't going to follow the laws, no matter how many new guns laws you throw at them.

Curly, CCP's are a good idea...sure gives punks second thots..this guy
was armored head to toe so not sure if an untrained could know where
to take this guy down... don need new gun laws, just enforce what's on the
books with some sort of thoroughness will AT LEAST lessen the problems...

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:26 PM
I understand people's need for a solution in the aftermath of things like this, but there isn't a solution. People throughout history have killed one another, and they'll do it with whatever they can get their hands on. Had this guy not had his stupid drum magazine, he might have went in there with a bomb or two. No new laws are going to deter people like him, they're only going to affect people like us that are inclined to follow the law in the first place.

Look what he had set up in his Apt. That dude is seriously warped

He had the chemical know how to have Blown that theater to hell and gone if he had wanted to Instead he chose a weapon and stupidly thot that 100 rd Mag would do what he wanted

You cant stop some one like him All you can do is react swiftly. A CC holder with some balls could have taken him out in a hurry if they knew what they were doing

8timechamps
7/23/2012, 09:28 PM
I too live in (fairly) close proximity to the theater, and I lived here when the Columbine shootings took place. I hold the same stance now that I did then, gun control isn't the answer. Truth is, gun control had nothing to do with this. There was no clear signs that this monster was going to plan an attack and carry it out. There are laws on the books that do need to be enforced, but that wouldn't have done anything to stop this moron.

What needs to be addressed is our mental health system. While it doesn't have the stigma attached that it once did, it's nowhere near where it needs to be.

I hate that "gun control" is one of the first things that comes up when something like this occurs. I'm not knocking you Sky, just the idea that it gets brought up in general.

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 09:29 PM

And hardly anyone, not even the NRA, has a problem with this. We have more than enough laws on the books. If someone has their mind set on taking out a lot of people more laws won't make any difference to them anyway.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:29 PM

Body armor aint gonna stop you from gettin yer *** knocked down by a well placed shot Plus its gonna hurt like hell
If there had been say 3 CC peeps there and they all hit him in the chest at one time the shock is gonna knock him down and prolly OUT long enough to move in and disarm

8timechamps
7/23/2012, 09:31 PM
Look what he had set up in his Apt. That dude is seriously warped

He had the chemical know how to have Blown that theater to hell and gone if he had wanted to Instead he chose a weapon and stupidly thot that 100 rd Mag would do what he wanted

You cant stop some one like him All you can do is react swiftly. A CC holder with some balls could have taken him out in a hurry if they knew what they were doing

I agree with most of what you said. I disagree with the CC part. A theater filled with tear gas, and a well armored gunman...I don't think a person with a CC would have done much to stop this scum.

The part I do agree with is that this guy would have killed regardless of the laws.

Curly Bill
I too live in (fairly) close proximity to the theater, and I lived here when the Columbine shootings took place. I hold the same stance now that I did then, gun control isn't the answer. Truth is, gun control had nothing to do with this. There was no clear signs that this monster was going to plan an attack and carry it out. There are laws on the books that do need to be enforced, but that wouldn't have done anything to stop this moron.

What needs to be addressed is our mental health system. While it doesn't have the stigma attached that it once did, it's nowhere near where it needs to be.

I hate that "gun control" is one of the first things that comes up when something like this occurs. I'm not knocking you Sky, just the idea that it gets brought up in general.

Same here, and we all knew it was coming. If I could have reached through my TV I would have strangled that smug SOB Piers Morgan the night this happened. But for some people, a lot of em media, and a lot of em politicians, they never miss the opportunity to turn a tragedy into a call for more gun regulations.

olevetonahill
And hardly anyone, not even the NRA, has a problem with this. We have more than enough laws on the books. If someone has their mind set on taking out a lot of people more laws won't make any difference to them anyway.

Laws are for the Law abiding . Crooks aint Law abiding so they dont GAS how many laws ya pass .

SouthCarolinaSooner
7/23/2012, 09:33 PM
The fundamental problem with "gun control" arguments from dumb people: I have a rifle, and they do not. How do they propose to come and get mine?

Anyways, I think this underscores another issue we're facing. It shows how (relatively) easy it is for a person to kill a decent amount of Americans if they put their time into it. This guy didn't have any backers, extra funding and really did it all on his own. Kinda makes you think this whole "terror" threat thing is a little overblown, and just being used as a grab at civil liberties.

8timechamps
7/23/2012, 09:34 PM
Same here, and we all knew it was coming. If I could have reached through my TV I would have strangled that smug SOB Piers Morgan the night this happened. But for some people, a lot of em media, and a lot of em politicians, they never miss the opportunity to turn a tragedy into a call for more gun regulations.

Well said my man.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:35 PM
I agree with most of what you said. I disagree with the CC part. A theater filled with tear gas, and a well armored gunman...I don't think a person with a CC would have done much to stop this scum.

The part I do agree with is that this guy would have killed regardless of the laws.

Maybe its cause Ive been thru Tear gas,CS gas, Been shot and shot at while shootin back , But I think Had I been there with a weapon and close enough . I Could have and would have stopped that **** before it got as bad as it did . Or I i could have got MY *** shot

I do know I would have tried to take him out

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 09:35 PM
Laws are for the Law abiding . Crooks aint Law abiding so they dont GAS how many laws ya pass .

More guns laws aren't intended for criminals, they're for the politicians and the "guns are icky" crowd that doesn't like guns, and they don't want anyone having them. If they pass more laws it'll make em feel better while accomplishing nothing, and when they accomplish nothing they'll try to pass more guns laws, and when those don't work they'll try to pass more guns laws, and well...you know how it works.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:37 PM
The fundamental problem with "gun control" arguments from dumb people: I have a rifle, and they do not. How do they propose to come and get mine?

Anyways, I think this underscores another issue we're facing. It shows how (relatively) easy it is for a person to kill a decent amount of Americans if they put their time into it. This guy didn't have any backers, extra funding and really did it all on his own. Kinda makes you think this whole "terror" threat thing is a little overblown, and just being used as a grab at civil liberties.

Its reported that he charged a lot of this stuff on his Mothers CC

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 09:38 PM

So....we should ban mothers?

...or credit cards?

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:40 PM
So....we should ban mothers?

...or credit cards?
Just those Mothers that hatch out Lunatic kids

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 09:41 PM
Just those Mothers that hatch out Lunatic kids

So, we need mothers to start having to pass a background check? Limit em to no more than 2 kids because no one needs more than 2 kids...

rock on sooner
7/23/2012, 09:42 PM
Body armor aint gonna stop you from gettin yer *** knocked down by a well placed shot Plus its gonna hurt like hell
If there had been say 3 CC peeps there and they all hit him in the chest at one time the shock is gonna knock him down and prolly OUT long enough to move in and disarm

Vet, you and I both know that the vast majority of CCP'ers carry just
cause they can. That 71 year old guy that took on the two nuts that
tried to rob the internet cafe is the exception, not the rule. In a crowd
of 100 movie goers there wouldn't be three. Even if the AR15 jammed up
this guy had a 12 gauge and two Glocks and sure seemed to have all
his bases covered so, I guess I don't have the answer, sure as hell wish
I did for those folks in Aurora...........

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 09:44 PM

We all wish we had the answer, but I strongly contend making it harder for people like me and you to own and carry guns, buy ammunition, etc, etc...is not the answer.

SouthCarolinaSooner
7/23/2012, 09:45 PM
Still ain't exactly what you call Sultan Moneybuckets

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2009/06/13/saudiarabiakingabdullah_R6n5G_19672.jpg

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:46 PM

I saw that Vid of the Old Guy. While I think he had balls to do what he did , I think he was an idiot for opening fire with so many innocents in the way, Im thankful he dint hit any of em with a ricochet or stray round

As to the Lunatic that 12 gauge was in his car. so it was a Non issue . that instant when his weapon jammed and he realized what happened and had to drop it and reach for another was the time to nail his ***.

rock on sooner
7/23/2012, 09:47 PM

Saw a report this guy had a $26000 research grant from the gov't. $2200 per month
was apparently how he was making all these purchases...AR15..$850 or so..12 guage
$300-400 and two Glocks, what $450 each or so plus 6000 rounds of ammo..never
mind all the "tactical" stuff he took delivery of...

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:48 PM
Still ain't exactly what you call Sultan Moneybuckets

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2009/06/13/saudiarabiakingabdullah_R6n5G_19672.jpg

He dint need that much
he was only waging war on a theater Not a country

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:49 PM
Saw a report this guy had a $26000 research grant from the gov't. $2200 per month
was apparently how he was making all these purchases...AR15..$850 or so..12 guage
$300-400 and two Glocks, what $450 each or so plus 6000 rounds of ammo..never
mind all the "tactical" stuff he took delivery of...

Oh so He had Government funding Cool

rock on sooner
7/23/2012, 09:52 PM

Aint that a bitch?

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 09:56 PM
Anyone think I can get Obammy to forward me some stimulus money to buy that Sig 516 I want?

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 10:06 PM

Aint that a bitch?

We need to let Marfa Know he was right all along
Ya really cant do anything by yerself Ya NEED the Gov. to help you

SouthCarolinaSooner
7/23/2012, 10:38 PM
He dint need that much
he was only waging war on a theater Not a country
Which was my point really

Wishboned
7/23/2012, 10:43 PM
I find it funny that a lot (not all) of the people who want to ban guns are the same ones who want to legalize drugs because "prohibition doesn't work".

SouthCarolinaSooner
7/23/2012, 10:52 PM
I find it funny that a lot (not all) of the people who want to ban guns are the same ones who want to legalize drugs because "prohibition doesn't work".I find it funny that anyone thinks they can control what goes into some else's body or deny them the right to defend themselves

Curly Bill
7/23/2012, 10:54 PM
I find it funny that a lot (not all) of the people who want to ban guns are the same ones who want to legalize drugs because "prohibition doesn't work".

Hmmmm...I'd bet you're right on that, and I find it funny as well.

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2012, 12:08 AM
More guns laws aren't intended for criminals, they're for the politicians and the "guns are icky" crowd that doesn't like guns, and they don't want anyone having them. If they pass more laws it'll make em feel better while accomplishing nothing, and when they accomplish nothing they'll try to pass more guns laws, and when those don't work they'll try to pass more guns laws, and well...you know how it works.
Exactly right.

I wish they would display pictures of all his victims in his jail cell from now until he either dies of natural causes or a needle is put in his arm.

How any scum sucking piece of mother ****ing filth could lower a gun on a little 6 year old girl trying to enjoy a batman movie with her family is well beyond my ability to comprehend. There is no way to make sense of that. The Constitution forbids cruel and unusual punishment but I wish the ****er could experience an extremely slow and agonizing death.

swardboy
7/24/2012, 08:04 AM

That might be the most astute observation I've ever read on this board.

8timechamps
7/25/2012, 07:08 PM
Maybe its cause Ive been thru Tear gas,CS gas, Been shot and shot at while shootin back , But I think Had I been there with a weapon and close enough . I Could have and would have stopped that **** before it got as bad as it did . Or I i could have got MY *** shot

I do know I would have tried to take him out

I've been in all of the same situations vet, and I still am not sure I would have fired back. Not because I wouldn't want to, but because of the 100 or so folks running around inside the theater. I'd like to think if I were in a situation like that, I would flank the shooter and tackle his *** (and subsequently beat his face off), but sitting in a theater at midnight is (was) the last place I would have been prepared for an attack.

Also, the number of people that own guns is unfortunately not equal to the number of gun owners that shoot like ****.

Nonetheless, I'm thankful that he really didn't know how to operate his weapon, as things could have been so much worse. And I'm still saddened by the folks that did get shot. There is no punishment harsh enough for this fool.

olevetonahill
7/25/2012, 07:22 PM
I've been in all of the same situations vet, and I still am not sure I would have fired back. Not because I wouldn't want to, but because of the 100 or so folks running around inside the theater. I'd like to think if I were in a situation like that, I would flank the shooter and tackle his *** (and subsequently beat his face off), but sitting in a theater at midnight is (was) the last place I would have been prepared for an attack.

Also, the number of people that own guns is unfortunately not equal to the number of gun owners that shoot like ****.

Nonetheless, I'm thankful that he really didn't know how to operate his weapon, as things could have been so much worse. And I'm still saddened by the folks that did get shot. There is no punishment harsh enough for this fool.

Stands to reason ya would make sure ya had a clear shot, Agree with idiots that cant shoot statement

hawaii 5-0
7/25/2012, 10:46 PM
FWIW I'm all for gun ownership.

I'm also for healthcare for the mentally challenged.

5-0

Pricetag
7/26/2012, 11:05 AM

Amen. In this particular case, CCP isn't a much less idealistic/simplistic solution than gun control. It would have taken a pretty special breed of cat to have made a difference--anything else could have made it worse.

IMO, about the only "solution" for these these type of scenarios is for the crowd to act together and rush the solitary gunman, but it would still require presence of mind that is not likely to exist in such a shocking/confusing situation.

nighttrain12
7/26/2012, 01:07 PM
It would have helped to have the emergency exit door rigged to set off an alarm as most do. Then the killer could not have gone out that door after the movie started (he propped the door open temporarily) and got his heavy artillery without causing a big commotion. Obviously he could not have gone in the front door (he bought a ticket) with that stuff without being noticed.

bluedogok
7/26/2012, 09:54 PM
It would have helped to have the emergency exit door rigged to set off an alarm as most do. Then the killer could not have gone out that door after the movie started (he propped the door open temporarily) and got his heavy artillery without causing a big commotion. Obviously he could not have gone in the front door (he bought a ticket) with that stuff without being noticed.
Most newer theaters don't have them because they have used those as exit doors to empty the theater out quicker, especially for the last shows. Most theaters that I have been in have used them, even the old AMC at Memorial & Penn used them at times. Also, panic hardware without the alarms tend to be cheaper and those alarms tended to be maintenance problems although the technology is probably more reliable now. I would imagine many theaters will be implementing them now.

8timechamps
7/27/2012, 05:11 PM

The theatre is already facing a suit over this exact issue. I'm not in the legal profession, so I have no idea whether or not the victim involved has a legitimate case. I've never looked to see if the rear exits are "emergency" exits (marked as so) or not. IF they are not, I think they should be. With an alarm that sounds when the door is open.

The sick-o that pulled this off probably would have found a way to do it even if the door was alarmed, but it would have made it more difficult, so I hope that it becomes standard for the industry.

cccasooner2
7/30/2012, 08:50 AM
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/48389798

No armed guards, it was the theater's fault.

nighttrain12
7/30/2012, 11:28 AM
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/48389798

No armed guards, it was the theater's fault.

Why should a theatre be expected to have armed guards? Restaurants don't. Most other businesses don't. Of course now some will add them though I don't think this guy could have been stopped or even slowed down. He was like a mini Rambo with smoke bombs and multiple artilery.

Boomer.....
7/30/2012, 11:41 AM
An armed guard wouldn't just enter the theater and apprehend the guy. He would be cautious to enter the theater with constant gunfire and couldn't necessarily fire back because of so many people. It might have helped some, but I don't fault the theater for this wacko's deeds.