PDA

View Full Version : Would anybody fault Bill O'Brien for starting a job search?

Landthief 1972
7/23/2012, 03:01 PM
I simply can't see him signing onto that job in the first place unless the top brass at PSU were laying on the BS pretty thick: "We feel that the sanctions will be minor - loss of Joe Pa's wins, loss of one bowl game..." or something similar. I dunno. If it was me, I'd even be looking at position coach jobs at smaller schools. I just don't see any future for the poor guy at (Un)Happy Valley.

Landthief 1972
7/23/2012, 03:08 PM
Well, he says he's staying, and his contract has no clause for the University getting nuked. That wasn't very bright. (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/report-no-out-in-obriens-penn-state-contract/)

I would think any lawyer worth his salt could convince a jury or judge that the sanctions were a breach of contract, if the school downplayed the possibility.

virginiasooner
7/24/2012, 09:15 AM
He knew what he was getting into. I give him five years, then the old heave-ho. PSU will have an okay record this coming season (at least 7 wins), but losing to Indiana and (*gasp*) Temple in consecutive years will not go down easy in Happy Valley. They'll be lucky to win against a service academy by the time their sanctions have run their course.

Curly Bill
7/24/2012, 09:34 PM
Naw, I wouldn't blame him at all. If he'll look elsewhere or not I have not a clue.

SoonerMom2
7/24/2012, 10:14 PM
He just said on ESPN in an interview that he has been in contact with his players encouraging them to stay. Thought coaches couldn't have contact with their current players on campus or ones that had signed for the current season in person during the summer. Is this another case of rules don't apply to Penn State?

Landthief 1972
7/25/2012, 10:13 AM
He just said on ESPN in an interview that he has been in contact with his players encouraging them to stay. Thought coaches couldn't have contact with their current players on campus or ones that had signed for the current season in person during the summer. Is this another case of rules don't apply to Penn State?

No, because the NCAA has lifted the contact ban on the Penn State players so that other schools can recruit immediately.

BermudaSooner
7/25/2012, 02:18 PM
He has a free pass. They suck, well he can chalk it up to the penalties. They win, he is an amazing coach. Following up Joe Pa was a no win situation...until now.

badger
7/25/2012, 02:28 PM
He should do was Dennis Franny did before bolting Bammer.

1- Write gushy letter about committment that goes public that convinces the players to stay.
2- Use the wave of positive public opinion caused by said letter to setup a nice next job at Texas A&M.
3- ???
4- PROFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

budbarrybob
7/25/2012, 04:23 PM
He has a free pass. They suck, well he can chalk it up to the penalties. They win, he is an amazing coach. Following up Joe Pa was a no win situation...until now.

^^This. He is in a win/win situation from a coaching standpoint IMHO.

Eielson
7/26/2012, 10:54 AM
He can't really lose in public opinion, but he can't win on the scoreboard, either. I don't see it as a win-win.

badger
7/26/2012, 11:15 AM
^^This. He is in a win/win situation from a coaching standpoint IMHO.

ESPN said this morning that the bowl ban triggered a clause in the contract that he signed. The clause says that he now has a contract through 2020 instead of 2016.

So much for the NCAA sanctions punishing the coaches, eh? :P

stoops the eternal pimp
7/26/2012, 11:24 AM
He will get no free pass from the fans....He is following their Lord and Saviour as HC...Fans forget sanctions pretty quickly...Ask Gary Gibbs

Mississippi Sooner
7/26/2012, 11:45 AM
He will get no free pass from the fans....He is following their Lord and Saviour as HC...Fans forget sanctions pretty quickly...Ask Gary Gibbs

It'd be too funny if they wound up trying to dig Schnelly out of retirement to go up there and fix things. "They're gonna write books and make movies about this team."

BajaOklahoma
7/26/2012, 01:21 PM
He is their version of Gary Gibbs. I have always respected Gibbs for taking on the job as it was a no-win situation for him. I don't think he has ever gotten enough credit for it.

badger
7/26/2012, 01:23 PM
It'd be too funny if they wound up trying to dig Schnelly out of retirement to go up there and fix things. "They're gonna write books and make movies about this team."

They already hired Schnelly to clean out all of the historical stuff. OU gave him a good reference for that.

OU also recommended Boo Blake for clearing out old files, but Penn State said they'd rather hold onto as many recruits as they can.

:P