PDA

View Full Version : Penn State penalty watch party

badger
7/23/2012, 06:47 AM
8 a.m. Oklahoma time. Tune into any sports channel for the live announcement of bowl bans and scholarship losses!

Boomer.....
7/23/2012, 07:24 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m54ul57xEx1qa6fh5.gif

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 07:40 AM
thot it was 8:30 ET so 7:30 ours

Phil
7/23/2012, 08:14 AM
Wow. Wormer dropped the big one. $60 million fine, four years no bowl, lose 10 scholarships for four years, all players can transfer immediately and be eligible. Penn State is done for a while as anything resembling competitive.

yermom
7/23/2012, 08:16 AM
what am i missing? why is the NCAA involved in criminal stuff?

why not just allow anyone to transfer since they are going to get the pedo stigma?

shouldn't the DoJ or someone be putting more people in jail vs. fines and bowl bans?

aren't most of the people that were really involved gone?

setem
7/23/2012, 08:17 AM
They were just shy of the Death Penalty!

prrriiide
7/23/2012, 08:19 AM
Also vacated all wins from 1998 - 2011.

SicEmBaylor
7/23/2012, 08:24 AM
Also, interestingly, players can retain their current scholarship even if they choose not to play football.

badger
7/23/2012, 08:31 AM
GjpR-Z4P7DA

I suspect that Penn State knew that harsh penalties were coming, so they had to get their arse in gear and start showing some institutional action, rather than letting the Nittany mafia dictate what happens.

I also suspect that their eventual action - firing Paterno, taking the statue down, remodeling the showers, etc. - is what saved them from the death penalty.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 08:31 AM
Also, interestingly, players can retain their current scholarship even if they choose not to play football.

Well it aint like the team can use em is it.

SoonerLaw09
7/23/2012, 08:41 AM

why not just allow anyone to transfer since they are going to get the pedo stigma?

shouldn't the DoJ or someone be putting more people in jail vs. fines and bowl bans?

I wondered the same thing when they hammered us in 1989. Why exactly was the coaching staff and the athletic department to blame for the criminal behavior of football players? Answer: It's the old "lack of institutional control" thing. In both cases the criminal acts occurred on campus in the athletic facilities, and the coaches/administrators didn't do the right thing.

jkjsooner
7/23/2012, 08:42 AM

The NCAA would never have been involved with this had it just been a case of child molestation. Where this became serious in an NCAA sense was when PSU engaged in a conspiracy to cover it up especially when it was clear that the coverup was done to protect the football program.

Give me a case where this isn't true. The NCAA would be almost powerless if they could only hold individuals accountable. The only effective deterrent is to hold programs accountable for the actions of the individuals within the program.

SoonerorLater
7/23/2012, 08:44 AM

This is what I have been asking. By their own admission this is unprecedented. The NCAA just decided to throw their weight around because they could. Just some guys sitting around a room meteing out their idea of justice. No specific NCAA violations per se. Justice for mob appeasement. What they have done is taken away a lot of the incentive and financial wherewithal to address the legal and civil liabilities.

setem
7/23/2012, 08:47 AM
Will there be any defectors coming out way?

jkjsooner
7/23/2012, 08:50 AM
I wondered the same thing when they hammered us in 1989. Why exactly was the coaching staff and the athletic department to blame for the criminal behavior of football players? Answer: It's the old "lack of institutional control" thing. In both cases the criminal acts occurred on campus in the athletic facilities, and the coaches/administrators didn't do the right thing.

This crap gets repeated over and over. I don't mean any offense to you but I wish people would look up the facts before posting this stuff.

The NCAA probation was handed down before any of the criminal acts occurred so unless the NCAA had some sort of precognition the probation and severity of the probation had nothing to do with the criminal acts by the players.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleid=20090614_92_0_ Atmlnh488167

December 19, 1988: The NCAA places OU’s football program on three years probation for 20 violations over an eight-year period, with sanctions banning the Sooners from bowl games in 1989 and 1990 and television in 1989.

Jan. 13, 1989: ...After more arguing, Parks shoots Peters in the chest, missing his heart by three inches.

Jan. 21, 1989: An Oklahoma City woman alleges that five OU football players gang-raped her in Wilkinson Hall.

Jan. 26, 1989: Thompson sells 17 grams of cocaine to an undercover FBI agent.

badger
7/23/2012, 08:50 AM
This is what I have been asking. By their own admission this is unprecedented. The NCAA just decided to throw their weight around because they could. Just some guys sitting around a room meteing out their idea of justice. No specific NCAA violations per se. Justice for mob appeasement. What they have done is taken away a lot of the incentive and financial wherewithal to address the legal and civil liabilities.

I hope that the $60 million doesn't just go into the NCAA's big piggy bank. It's over inflated enough with that basketball bracketology tourney cash cow.

Landthief 1972
7/23/2012, 08:51 AM
Wow. Wormer dropped the big one. $60 million fine, four years no bowl, lose 10 scholarships for four years, all players can transfer immediately and be eligible. Penn State is done for a while as anything resembling competitive.

NBC SPorts is saying it's 20 scholarships per year over 4 years, which is kinda odd language, but I assume they just mean a loss of 20 per year for 4 years. WHoops, just saw clarification, which is:

A reduction of 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period. This will drop the limit of offered scholarships per year to 15 and cap the total number of scholarships to 65.

I'm glad the NCAA did right by the players and is allowing them to leave with no penalty. Hmmm...does Penn State have any stellar DEs? ANother sign that the NCAA is actually thinking of the players:

Additionally, Penn State athletes may be allowed to transfer wherever they like without penalty. NCAA is considering waiving scholarship limit for schools that accept PSU transfers as well, so the Association is really bending over backward for the athletes here.

Gotta wonder what the Penn State bigwigs told Bill O'Brien when they hired him - "Oh, don't worry Bill, they've got nothing on us...we'll get a slap on the wrist if anything." I hope he's got a loophole in his contract so he can go somewhere else...because staying in "Happy" Valley is career suicide.

Landthief 1972
7/23/2012, 08:52 AM
I hope that the $60 million doesn't just go into the NCAA's big piggy bank. It's over inflated enough with that basketball bracketology tourney cash cow.

According to nbc sports:

A $60 million fine, the funds of which go to external programs for child abuse. According to the NCAA, that amount “cannot come at the expense of non-revenue sports or student-athlete scholarships.”

XingTheRubicon
7/23/2012, 08:53 AM
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8302/switz.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/switz.jpg/)

Landthief 1972
7/23/2012, 08:58 AM

Because it's not just about punishing people, it's setting an example to deter other programs from trying to cover up embarrassing events like what happened at Penn State. Regardless, since Penn State is a member of the NCAA, they are subject to the constitution of the NCAA:

“There has been much speculation on whether or not the NCAA has the authority to impose any type of penalty related to Penn State,” said Ed Ray, Executive Committee chair and Oregon State president. “This egregious behavior not only goes against our rules and Constitution, but also against our values.”

Just because the NCAA is doling out their punishment doesn't mean the DoJ isn't going to stick as many of these ******* into prison as possible. Now, I'll be the first to say the idea of the NCAA getting high and mighty about morality and values is fairly laughable, but in this case, more power to them.

SoonerLaw09
7/23/2012, 09:00 AM
This crap gets repeated over and over. I don't mean any offense to you but I wish people would look up the facts before posting this stuff.

The NCAA probation was handed down before any of the criminal acts occurred so unless the NCAA had some sort of precognition the probation and severity of the probation had nothing to do with the criminal acts by the players.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleid=20090614_92_0_ Atmlnh488167

December 19, 1988: The NCAA places OU’s football program on three years probation for 20 violations over an eight-year period, with sanctions banning the Sooners from bowl games in 1989 and 1990 and television in 1989.

Jan. 13, 1989: ...After more arguing, Parks shoots Peters in the chest, missing his heart by three inches.

Jan. 21, 1989: An Oklahoma City woman alleges that five OU football players gang-raped her in Wilkinson Hall.

Jan. 26, 1989: Thompson sells 17 grams of cocaine to an undercover FBI agent.

My mistake. 'Swhat I get for going from memory. I shoulda realized I had some brain cells that died during that period of time. :P

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:01 AM
Heh, Penn St. Says they just got a Jerry shower

badger
7/23/2012, 09:04 AM
Heh, Penn St. Says they just got a Jerry shower

They're such classy fans and they so totally deserve this (the following video is NSFW unless you have headphones)
jDiRPUiQZHc

Does the embed not work? Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDiRPUiQZHc

BigTip
7/23/2012, 09:06 AM

I agree with this. This is not about maintaining a level playing field among football programs. This is criminal activity. Put people in jail. Society has then been paid back for these atrocities.
Was Paterno protecting the football program with this cover up, or was he misguidedly protecting a friend? He could have given him up to the police without harming the football program.
This sort of school punishment is very harsh to a lot of innocent people. Athletes, students, vendors, will all suffer for the actions of a very few. And those very few are not getting off. Not like a sanctioned recruiting violation coach would get off after getting a school in trouble.
Would there be this much of an outcry if Sandusky had merely embezzled money from the program? It's a criminal activity, with probably the same jail time for it. Would the reaction, and NCAA reaction, been the same?
The legal system is sufficient to punish the offenders in a surgical manner. I don't feel there is a need to nuke the entire campus.
Don't get me wrong. I hope Sandusky is in jail for a long time, and I am sure he will burn in Hell after that.

jkjsooner
7/23/2012, 09:10 AM
So does this mean that PSU has the longest losing streak in NCAA history or at least the longest non-winning streak... ;-)

I'm not sure where they got the 1998. Are they trying to say that the coverup began in 1998. I know the first reported incident was from 1998 and I know that that didn't lead to criminal charges but I'm not sure if there's evidence of a coverup during that time. People are often investigated without charges being files, mainly because the DA thought there was insufficient evidence. The 1998 incident seems more along those lines.

I could be wrong though...

setem
7/23/2012, 09:11 AM
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8302/switz.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/switz.jpg/)

Joe Pa really said that?

I have not sorrow or remorse for him at all anymore! So he will protect a pederast so he can save face but Switzer is evil? F THAT ****!

jkjsooner
7/23/2012, 09:16 AM
I agree with this. This is not about maintaining a level playing field among football programs. This is criminal activity. Put people in jail. Society has then been paid back for these atrocities.
Was Paterno protecting the football program with this cover up, or was he misguidedly protecting a friend?

If it's the former then I think this becomes an issue for the NCAA. If it's the latter, then you also have to account for the inaction by the AD, school president, and university police.

At some point it became clear that Joe Paterno had too much power at Penn State and this was the cause of the coverup no matter what Paterno's motivation was.

I'm not sure about the $60 million fine. I think that sets a dangerous precedent even if this is a unique case. The problem is that it's almost impossible to dole out financial penalties on a fair basis. If a mid major school had similar problems they would never be able to afford such a penalty.

I suppose you can argue a year's income was the punishment but I'm not sure if people would be satisfied if the NCAA punished a mid major $10 million because that was their yearly income.

badger
7/23/2012, 09:17 AM
Joe Pa really said that?

I have not sorrow or remorse for him at all anymore! So he will protect a pederast so he can save face but Switzer is evil? F THAT ****!

Yes, really happened. (http://www.nytimes.com/1986/02/12/sports/sports-people-lingering-hurt.html)

But, as that hotlink shows, Joe apologized to Barry... but not Jackie, heh. Here's the Wikipedia thing on it, which I don't think is in dispute, so we can believe Wiki for once:

When asked about retirement, Joe Paterno once said that he would not, because it would leave college football in the hands of "the Jackie Sherrills and the Barry Switzers".[2] Paterno apologized to Switzer for the comment, but wrote in his book that he "didnt give a damn about what Sherrill felt."[3] Paterno later said that the comment was made off-the-record and in jest during a party at Paterno's house, but it was printed anyway. Sherrill and Paterno later became friends – and Sherrill and his wife were guests of the Paternos in State College in 2004.[4] Notably, Sherrill went 2–3 in five games leading Pitt against Penn State, including a 48–14 loss in 1981 that destroyed Pitt's chances at a second national championship in five years.[5]

Landthief 1972
7/23/2012, 09:28 AM
Was Paterno protecting the football program with this cover up, or was he misguidedly protecting a friend? He could have given him up to the police without harming the football program.
This sort of school punishment is very harsh to a lot of innocent people. Athletes, students, vendors, will all suffer for the actions of a very few. And those very few are not getting off. Not like a sanctioned recruiting violation coach would get off after getting a school in trouble.
Would there be this much of an outcry if Sandusky had merely embezzled money from the program? It's a criminal activity, with probably the same jail time for it. Would the reaction, and NCAA reaction, been the same?
The legal system is sufficient to punish the offenders in a surgical manner. I don't feel there is a need to nuke the entire campus.
Don't get me wrong. I hope Sandusky is in jail for a long time, and I am sure he will burn in Hell after that.

Like I posted earlier, the NCAA has to enforce their constitution and laws to ensure that other programs don't attempt to cover up crap like this in the future. There's no point in having the NCAA laws if you remove the teeth. Some of you guys have been pissing and moaning because the NCAA didn't do enough to bust USC over Reggie Bush (which legally could have been seen as misappropriation of funds, among other things), but you want the the NCAA to keep its nose in its own business regarding Penn State, over something much, much worse than giving Reggie's dad a house. I don't understand the double standard.

yermom
7/23/2012, 09:34 AM
buying someone a house isn't illegal, but it's cheating.

it's not like diddling some boys in the shower gave Penn State an unfair advantage

yermom
7/23/2012, 09:38 AM
oh and Bobby Bowden is somewhere dancing a jig

lexsooner
7/23/2012, 09:44 AM
The Big Ten will be announcing their own sanctions against PSU within the next half hour. They're gonna lay another boot to a man on the ground.

jkjsooner
7/23/2012, 09:44 AM

it's not like diddling some boys in the shower gave Penn State an unfair advantage

And if that had been the only offense I don't think the NCAA would have been involved.

Let's say OU would have found out first that our players were stealing gasoline but the coach persuaded the university officials and police to look the other way. Don't you think the NCAA would have been interested in that? (Let's say the players were removed from the team so there is no competitive advantage gained other than the advantage of protecting the program's reputation.)

ouflak
7/23/2012, 09:47 AM
They got off very light. Very light. That cult is just going to continue on.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 09:59 AM
They got off very light. Very light. That cult is just going to continue on.

Found this . Theres prolly more

http://www.nittanyfootball.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=227639&an=0&page=0#Post227639

setem
7/23/2012, 10:10 AM
John Gagliardi still has the record:untroubled:

badger
7/23/2012, 10:12 AM
As much as I'm thankful that they're taking action against PSU for this horrible affair, I am kind of getting tired of hearing about it on Sportcenter 24/7. Good thing the Olympics start this week so we can complain about China using 12-year-old gymnasts and things that happen in hundredths of a second instead.

olevetonahill
7/23/2012, 10:14 AM
One Penalty I aint seen mentioned is the Name change they have to do.

Their name will be PU cause they gonna stink fer a long time
Kinda like this lameassed joke

JiuJitsuSooner
7/23/2012, 10:31 AM
Wonder if any of their OL or
LB's wanna leave and come to Norman

yermom
7/23/2012, 10:40 AM
And if that had been the only offense I don't think the NCAA would have been involved.

Let's say OU would have found out first that our players were stealing gasoline but the coach persuaded the university officials and police to look the other way. Don't you think the NCAA would have been interested in that? (Let's say the players were removed from the team so there is no competitive advantage gained other than the advantage of protecting the program's reputation.)

still, we are talking about real crimes that weren't improper from an amateur athletics perspective. the NCAA is sentencing on crimes through sports now.

KantoSooner
7/23/2012, 10:43 AM
Apparently they can transfer without any loss of eligibility.

jkjsooner
7/23/2012, 10:51 AM
I've been hearing that other schools can for one year give PSU players a scholarship without it counting against their 85 limit.

I'm not sure what I think of that. It could give an unfair advantage to schools in the vicinity of PSU. I would hope they would institute at least some sort of limit on this.

What if the seniors got together and decided to go to Pitt? Pitt could have 105 players (not to mention a higher percentage of experienced players) on scholarship for a year and not even have to worry about how they would get back to 85 the next year.

Given that scenario is improbable but this will definitely lead to some competitive advantage for Pitt, Maryland, WVU, etc.

FaninAma
7/23/2012, 11:26 AM
First of all, I am not saying Penn State doesn't deserve every bit of the punishment they have received.

What bothers me is than none of the accused, except Sandusky, have had their day in court. Louis Freeh did not talk to McQuery, Spanier, the ex-Ad, the PennState Police, the DA's office who handled the 1998 investigation, the ex-VP of Penn State or any individual member of the BoT including the current Governor of Pa who was the attorney General who allowed the Sandusky case to languish for 3 years while he was campaigning for Governor.. The NCAA , who's average investigation takes anywhwere from 3 to 6 years, did not talk to them either.

There seems to be a rush to judgement and to sweep this under the rug which raises all kinds of red flags that there are other people who have culpability in this but they want to make it go away by throwing Penn State under the bus.. And again, they may deserve to be there but I would like to hear the complete story just to make sure some other guilty party isn't escaping appropriate punishment.

Bourbon St Sooner
7/23/2012, 11:29 AM

Penn St allowed a monster to use the trappings of its football program to prey on children. And when they found out about it they covered it up and did nothing to stop it. And they did it to protect their moneymaker. This is the height of corruption in any football program that's ever existed.

The NCAA is not just a governing body for collegiate athletics, it's a collection of member institutions. It's a private organization and, as such, is allowed to hold its members to some ethical standards. When the football program becomes more important that the protection of young kids, that's when the NCAA needs to draw a line. The penalties need to hit the moneymaker these guys were protecting.

KantoSooner
7/23/2012, 11:32 AM
I think you very well might be right. We'll get to know more when Spanier et al go to trial. At the very least, that trial testimony will muddy the waters so terribly that the foul stench of this mess will last far longer than otherwise might have been the case.

Wherever he is now, I hope Paterno is wondering what might have been if he'd only acted like a real man and insisted that the police be involved immediately.

Bourbon St Sooner
7/23/2012, 11:33 AM
I've been hearing that other schools can for one year give PSU players a scholarship without it counting against their 85 limit.

I'm not sure what I think of that. It could give an unfair advantage to schools in the vicinity of PSU. I would hope they would institute at least some sort of limit on this.

What if the seniors got together and decided to go to Pitt? Pitt could have 105 players (not to mention a higher percentage of experienced players) on scholarship for a year and not even have to worry about how they would get back to 85 the next year.

Given that scenario is improbable but this will definitely lead to some competitive advantage for Pitt, Maryland, WVU, etc.

My flight tracker shows a plane en route from Tuscaloosa to State College right now. Coincedence? I think not.

FaninAma
7/23/2012, 11:35 AM
Bourbon, Penn State was very stupid for allowing Sandusky to be anywhere near the program. They deserve to be hit hard for that. But lets not forget the DA siad there wasn't enough evidence to go forward with charges in 1998. If Penn State had fired Sandusky then without any compensation he would have hired and attorney and sued the University so, IMO, the local DA deserves a lot of blame for Sandusky not being put away earlier.

Essentially it appears to me that the politicians who sit on the BoT and in the governor's office are circling the wagons to protect themselves.......even at the cost of crushing the primier University in the state.

Lets find ALL of those who turned the other way and allowed Sandusky to keep raping kids, not just some of them.

MojoRisen
7/23/2012, 11:59 AM
Let's start filling some holes! if it is true that players can leave and not count against the 85 scholarship limit. PITT, MD, WVA, Rutgersm, Virginia should clean up on this roster.

Name Pos. Yr. Exp. Ht./Wt. Hometown (last school)
1 Rob Bolden QB Jr. 2V 6-3/214 Orchard Lake, MI (St. Mary's HS)
1 Derrick Thomas CB Sr. 2V 6-0/181 Greenbelt, MD (Eleanor Roosevelt HS)
2 Shane McGregor QB Sr. 3V 6-1/200 Ebensburg, PA (Central Cambria HS)
3 Paul Jones QB Jr. 1V 6-3/245 McKees Rocks, PA (Sto-Rox)
3 A.J. Price WR Sr. 3V 6-4/195 Reston, VA (South Lakes HS)
4 Patrick Flanagan WR Jr. 1V 5-8/155 State College, PA (Hill School)
4 Amos Adrian CB So. 1V 6-0/209 Baltimore, MD ()
4 Adrian Amos CB So. 1V 6-0/209 Baltimore, MD ()
5 Bill Belton RB So. 1V 5-10/196 Sicklerville, NJ ()
5 Bill Belton RB So. 1V 5-10/196 Sicklerville, NJ ()
6 Gerald Hodges LB Sr. 3V 6-2/233 Paulsboro, NJ (Paulsboro HS)
6 Shane Phillips WR So. HS 6-5/192 St. Albans, NY ()
7 Stephen Obeng-Agyapong S Sr. 2V 5-10/201 Bronx, NY (John F. Kennedy HS)
7 Curtis Drake WR Sr. 2V 5-11/173 Philadelphia, PA (West Philadelphia Catholic HS)
8 Allen Robinson WR So. 1V 6-3/199 Southfield, MI ()
9 Mike Zordich RB Sr. 3V 6-1/242 Canfield, OH (Cardinal Mooney)
10 Malcolm Willis S Sr. 2V 5-11/205 Marbury, MD (Lackey HS)
10 Kevin Haplea TE Jr. 2V 6-4/248 Annandale, NJ (North Hunterdon HS)
11 Khairi Fortt LB Jr. 2V 6-2/238 Stamford, CT (Stamford HS)
11 Matt McGloin QB Sr. 3V 6-1/199 Scranton, PA (West Scranton HS)
12 Stephon Morris CB Sr. 3V 5-8/188 Greenbelt, MD (Eleanor Roosevelt HS)
13 Tyler Lucas QB So. HS 6-2/185 Bellefonte, PA ()
13 Tim Buckley S So. HS 6-0/202 Raleigh, NC ()
13 Tim Buckley S So. HS 6-0/202 Raleigh, NC ()
14 Garrett Venuto QB Sr. 2V 6-0/219 Ithaca, NY (Ithaca HS)
14 Mike Wallace CB Sr. 2V 5-9/195 Silver Springs, MD (Good Counsel HS)
15 Alex Kenney WR Jr. 1V 6-0/193 State College, PA (State College HS)
16 Devin Pryor DB Jr. 1V 5-10/162 San Bernardino, CA ()
17 Christian Kuntz WR Sr. 2V 6-4/222 Camp Hill, PA (Trinity HS)
18 Jesse James TE Fr. HS 6-7/265 Glassport, PA ()
18 Deion Barnes DE So. HS 6-4/248 Philadelphia, PA ()
19 Justin Brown WR Sr. 3V 6-3/209 Wilmington, DE (Concord HS)
19 Matt Marcincin K So. HS 5-11/174 Bethlehem, PA ()
20 Devon Smith WR Sr. 3V 5-7/147 White Plains, MD (Westlake HS)
22 T.J. Rhattigan LB So. HS 5-10/193 Naperville, IL ()
23 Ryan Keiser S Jr. 1V 6-1/202 Selinsgrove, PA (Selinsgrove HS)
23 Brian Friend WR Sr. 2V 6-1/195 Pittsburgh, PA (Central Catholic HS)
24 Jonathan Duckett S Jr. 1V 6-1/188 Harrisburg, PA (Bishop McDevitt HS)
24 Derek Day RB Sr. 3V 5-9/195 Bellefonte, PA (Central Dauphin HS)
25 Silas Redd RB Jr. 2V 5-10/200 Norwalk, CT (King Low Heywood Thomas HS)
26 Curtis Dukes RB Sr. 2V 6-1/242 Evans Mills, NY (Indian River HS)
26 Kyle Lucas LB Sr. 2V 5-11/233 Bellefonte, PA (Bellefonte HS)
27 Jacob Fagnano S Sr. 3V 6-0/201 Williamsport, PA (Williamsport HS)
29 Jeff Cully CB Jr. 1V 5-11/199 Allison Park, PA (Hampton HS)
30 Anthony Fera K Sr. 2V 6-2/220 Cypress, TX (St. Pius X HS)
31 Brad Bars DE Jr. 1V 6-3/237 Nashville, TN (Montgomery Bell Academy)
32 Dakota Royer LB Jr. 1V 6-1/223 Manheim, PA (Manheim Central HS)
33 Michael Yancich LB Sr. 3V 6-2/240 Washington, PA (Trinity HS)
33 Andre Dupree FB Sr. 2V 5-10/250 Waldorf, MD (North Point HS)
34 Sean Luchnick WR So. 3V 6-0/185 San Antonio, TX (Sandra Day O'Connor HS)
35 Pat Zerbe FB Sr. 2V 6-1/233 West Lawn, PA (Wilson HS)
36 Deron Thompson RB So. HS 5-10/190 Lititz, PA ()
38 Ben Kline LB So. HS 6-2/224 York, PA ()
38 A.J. Firestone P Jr. 1V 6-1/220 Mercersburg, PA (Mercersburg Academy)
39 Jesse Della Valle CB Jr. 1V 6-1/187 Pittsburgh, PA (Shaler Area HS)
40 Glenn Carson LB Jr. 2V 6-3/238 Manahawkin, NJ (Southern Regional HS)
40 Zach Zwinak RB Jr. 1V 6-1/226 Frederick, MD (Linganore HS)
41 J.R. Refice FB Sr. 2V 6-0/246 Jessup, PA (Valley View HS)
42 Michael Mauti LB Sr. 3V 6-2/239 Mandeville, LA (Mandeville HS)
43 Mike Hull LB Jr. 1V 6-0/213 Canonsburg, PA (Canon-McMillan HS)
44 Michael Fuhrman LS Sr. 3V 5-10/214 Pittsburgh, PA (North Allegheny HS)
45 Alex Butterworth P Jr. 2V 5-10/198 Indianapolis, IN (Heritage Christian HS)
45 P.J. Byers FB Sr. 3V 6-0/254 Harrison City, PA (Penn Trafford HS)
47 Jordan Hill DL Sr. 3V 6-1/298 Steelton, PA (Steel-High)
48 Jordan Kerner DE So. HS 6-4/239 Fairview, PA ()
51 Drew Boyce LB So. HS 6-1/224 Olathe, KS ()
54 Matt Stankiewitch C Sr. 3V 6-3/295 Orwigsburg, PA (Blue Mountain Academy)
54 Jamie Van Fleet LB Sr. 3V 6-0/219 Williamsport, PA (Loyalsock HS)
55 Tom Ricketts OL Jr. 1V 6-5/275 Pittsburgh, PA (North Allegheny)
56 Anthony Alosi OL So. HS 6-4/292 Marlton, NJ (The Hun School)
57 Emery Etter LS Sr. 2V 6-1/223 Chambersburg, PA (Chambersburg Area HS)
58 Adam Gress T Sr. 2V 6-6/306 West Mifflin, PA (West Mifflin HS)
59 Pete Massaro DE Sr. 3V 6-4/263 Newton Square, PA (Marple Newtown HS)
60 Ty Howle C Sr. 2V 6-0/298 Wake Forest, NC (Bunn HS)
62 Frank Figueroa G Sr. 2V 6-3/303 San Antonio, TX (Thomas Edison HS)
64 John Urschel G Sr. 2V 6-3/287 Williamsville, NY (Canisius HS)
65 Miles Dieffenbach C Jr. 1V 6-3/286 Pittsburgh, PA (Fox Chapel HS)
66 Angelo Mangiro OL So. HS 6-3/287 Succasunna, NJ ()
69 Bryan Davie OL Jr. 1V 6-2/347 Greenbelt, MD ()
70 Nate Cadogan T Sr. 2V 6-5/283 Portsmouth, OH (Portsmouth HS)
71 Ryan Nowicki OL So. HS 6-5/280 Glendale, AZ ()
72 Khamrone Kolb G Jr. 1V 6-5/324 Burke, VA (Lake Braddock Secondary)
73 Alex Mateas G Jr. 1V 6-3/293 Ottawa, ON (Ottawa Sooners)
73 Mark Arcidiacono G Sr. 2V 6-4/283 Holland, PA (St. Joseph's Prep)
75 Evan Hailes DT Jr. 1V 6-1/303 Chesapeake, VA (Oscar F. Smith HS)
75 Eric Shrive G Sr. 2V 6-6/312 Scranton, PA (West Scranton HS)
76 Donovan Smith T So. HS 6-5/310 Owings Mills, MD ()
77 Patrick Christie T Jr. 1V 6-5/296 Carlisle, PA (Boiling Springs HS)
78 Mike Farrell T Sr. 3V 6-6/276 Pittsburgh, PA (Shadyside Academy)
79 Kevin Blanchard OL So. HS 6-7/276 Katy, TX ()
80 Matt Zanellato WR So. HS 6-3/195 Burke, VA ()
81 Shawney Kersey WR Sr. 2V 6-1/199 Woodbury, NY (Woodbury HS)
82 Brian Irvin TE Sr. 3V 6-3/241 Orrtanna, PA (Gettysburg HS)
84 Matt Lehman TE Sr. 2V 6-7/247 Newport, PA ()
84 Kyle Baublitz DE Jr. 1V 6-5/270 York, PA (Central York)
85 Brandon Moseby-Felder WR Sr. 2V 6-2/188 Fort Washington, MD (Oxon Hill HS)
86 Bryce Wilson TE So. HS 6-3/248 Camp Hill, PA ()
86 Bryce Wilson TE So. HS 6-3/248 Camp Hill, PA ()
86 C.J. Olaniyan DE Jr. 1V 6-3/250 Warren, MI (Warren Mott HS)
87 Kyle Carter TE So. HS 6-3/241 Bear, DE ()
88 Tyrone Smith DT Jr. 1V 6-4/247 Pittsburgh, PA ()
89 Garry Gilliam TE Sr. 2V 6-6/277 Carlisle, PA (Milton Hershey HS)
90 Sean Stanley DE Sr. 3V 6-1/247 Rockville, MD (Gaithersburg HS)
91 DaQuan Jones DT Jr. 2V 6-3/317 Johnson City, NY (Johnson City Senior )
93 James Terry DT Sr. 3V 6-3/317 New Castle, DE (Brandywine HS)
95 Carl Nassib DE So. HS 6-6/230 Malvern, PA ()
96 Cody Castor DT Sr. 3V 6-3/295 Uniontown, PA (Uniontown Area HS)
97 Sam Ficken K So. 1V 6-3/180 Valparaiso, IN ()
97 Luke Graham DT Jr. 1V 6-4/273 Harrison City, PA (Penn Trafford)
98 Anthony Zettel DT So. HS 6-5/255 West Branch, MI ()

jkjsooner
7/23/2012, 12:33 PM
Let's start filling some holes! if it is true that players can leave and not count against the 85 scholarship limit. PITT, MD, WVA, Rutgersm, Virginia should clean up on this roster.

And if it does count against the 85 scholarship offer, expect some scholarships to disappear and Alabama and LSU over the next couple of weeks.

jkjsooner
7/23/2012, 01:16 PM

http://www.nittanyfootball.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=227639&an=0&page=0#Post227639

Here's my favorite from that thread:

I keep hearing how all this is being done in the name of the victims - wonder if Emmert ever talked to any of them and got their input - or whether he's a petty beauracrat enjoying flexing is muscles.

Many of the victims stated they endured Sandusky because they loved the access to the football team - so if you correct the issue of safeguards why deny future youth that positive experience?

Are they effing serious? This post is wrong on so many levels.

I didn't read through the entire thread but up to page 2 nobody challenged this post.

KantoSooner
7/23/2012, 01:36 PM
I think what they are trying to say is that there are a lot of people, including some of the direct victims of Sandusky, who are PSU football fans and why punish them for the evils of Sandusky and those who enabled him.

I think we can all understand the point of view. What it does not answer is the issue of deterrence. Emmert quite explicitly was sending a message. And, unless the Nittany Lions were truly injured, it is arguable that that message would not be received.

jkjsooner
7/23/2012, 01:55 PM
I think what they are trying to say is that there are a lot of people, including some of the direct victims of Sandusky, who are PSU football fans and why punish them for the evils of Sandusky and those who enabled him.

I understand that point but some counter points:

It's not appropriate to argue that the victims endured the abuse because they loved the access. Even if this is true and even if some have actually said this, it is pathetic to take this angle when arguing for a lighter punishment. The victims could be suffering from some sort of Stockholm syndrome or they could have been in denial about the long term impact the abuse would have on them.

PSU fans can't expect to hide behind the fact that some of the abused may still be PSU fans.

sooneron
7/23/2012, 01:55 PM
Yep, right about now a few underperforming sophomores are being called into Lester's office... Meh, that gutless **** will probably just change their locks and have an assistant send them a text!

badger
7/23/2012, 02:17 PM
Yep, right about now a few underperforming sophomores are being called into Lester's office... Meh, that gutless **** will probably just change their locks and have an assistant send them a text!

Gutless... a thought just occurred to me. Lester was on ESPN this morning live. That means, he's not around to personally deliver the "Your scholarship is not being renewed" notices. Which means... there's gonna be some sad athletes looking at FCS programs in Louisiana this week.

Landthief 1972
7/23/2012, 02:45 PM

Exactly. The NCAA is not enforcing the law of the government, they are enforcing the law of their constitution and its membership. It seems a bit ridiculous to expect the NCAA to only act when an unfair advantage comes up. However, if you want to split hairs, let's chalk this up to a complete lack of institutional control and a huge attempt to cover up said lack of control. I do believe those are NCAA infractions, are they not?

KantoSooner
7/23/2012, 04:11 PM
I understand that point but some counter points:

It's not appropriate to argue that the victims endured the abuse because they loved the access. Even if this is true and even if some have actually said this, it is pathetic to take this angle when arguing for a lighter punishment. The victims could be suffering from some sort of Stockholm syndrome or they could have been in denial about the long term impact the abuse would have on them.

PSU fans can't expect to hide behind the fact that some of the abused may still be PSU fans.

JK, I'm not defening it one whit, but what I think was said was more to the effect that even some of the victims loved PSU ball, so don't take it away from them. NOT that some of the victims might have swapped being anally raped for free tickets or something.

If, indeed anyone at PSU really and truly meant that any of the victims were willingly being Jerry's boytoy in exchange for getting free VIP access, then the person holding such view should immediately go throw themselves from a very high place onto a bed of jagged rocks.

tycat947
7/23/2012, 04:22 PM

What's pathetic is none of these goons acknowledge that not only did the university administration, athletic department administration AND the HEAD of ALL (JoePa) not report any of the atrocities, they tried (and succeeded for MANY YEARS!) to coverup these crimes!!! I hope this school dries up and blows away!!!

tycat947
7/23/2012, 04:24 PM
Penn St allowed a monster to use the trappings of its football program to prey on children. And when they found out about it they covered it up and did nothing to stop it. And they did it to protect their moneymaker. This is the height of corruption in any football program that's ever existed.

The NCAA is not just a governing body for collegiate athletics, it's a collection of member institutions. It's a private organization and, as such, is allowed to hold its members to some ethical standards. When the football program becomes more important that the protection of young kids, that's when the NCAA needs to draw a line. The penalties need to hit the moneymaker these guys were protecting.

Thank you!

Boomer.....
7/23/2012, 04:24 PM
President: Penn State accepted sanctions to avoid death penalty (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/president-penn-state-accepted-sanctions-to-avoid-death-penalty/related/)

Landthief 1972
7/23/2012, 04:37 PM
President: Penn State accepted sanctions to avoid death penalty (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/president-penn-state-accepted-sanctions-to-avoid-death-penalty/related/)

First smart thing that administration has done in a very long time.