PDA

View Full Version : Short but good read on Tapper

LVSOONER15
7/19/2012, 10:04 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/spor..._Dend/12-16101

Here's a position to watch when Oklahoma begins practice in three weeks: defensive end. And a player to watch at that position: Charles Tapper.

It's likely David King, R.J. Washington and Chuka Ndulue will top the depth chart to open two-a-days. Two of the three should start at UTEP Sept. 2.

It seems unlikely that a true freshman who got a late start on summer conditioning could come in and challenge right away. Typically, Tapper could expect to redshirt after his arrival from Baltimore just over a week ago.

But it is an atypical situation at D-end. Last year's starters have moved on to the NFL. The Sooners have shown a willingness to tinker at the position – linebacker Rashod Favors has moved down to defensive end, while D-end Geneo Grissom is now a tight end.

The door might break open for Tapper, a four-star prospect who OU defensive ends coach Bobby Jack Wright raved about during a recent appearance on Norman's KREF.

“When I was recruiting him, I used to love to watch him play basketball. He'd dunk it four or five times a game,” Wright told Dusty Dvoracek and Dan Cody on The Rush. “It wasn't one of those little ol' layup deals. Whenever he got it, he was going to the hoop.

“He's athletic. He's got a lot of explosion to him. And he's strong. He's never really lifted weights, so you can imagine the development he'll get with Schmitty. He's 250 pounds right now and he's never picked up a weight in his life.”

Again, odds favor OU using the 2012 season to shape Tapper's body. But if upperclassmen lag a little, and Tapper shows an aptitude for weight and film rooms, his wait might not be a long one.

cccasooner2
7/19/2012, 10:30 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/spor..._Dend/12-16101
“When I was recruiting him, I used to love to watch him play basketball. He'd dunk it four or five times a game,” Wright told Dusty Dvoracek and Dan Cody on The Rush. “It wasn't one of those little ol' layup deals. Whenever he got it, he was going to the hoop. .

Does Cody do The Rush also? I only remember Teddy when I listened.

setem
7/22/2012, 02:25 PM
TLDR

BoomerJ
7/23/2012, 01:27 PM
Not sure if the whole, "never picked up a weight in his life" was coachspeak, but I would bet that Tapper will put on another 15lbs of muscle by next year with Schmitty. I'm excited to watch this kid.