PDA

View Full Version : Former OU QB Tommy Grady now excelling in AFL (arena FB)

nighttrain12
7/18/2012, 12:11 AM
What might have been (at OU)!?!

http://newsok.com/afl-former-ou-utah-quarterback-tommy-grady-finally-gets-chance-to-shine-with-utah-blaze/article/3693299

Salt City Sooner
7/18/2012, 12:57 AM
Never have figured out why he landed at Utah when he left OU. They were still running Meyer's system at the time, & that fit Grady, well, like a milk bucket under a bull. If there was one Stoops era QB that Landry would have a shot to out run in a foot race, it was him.

BigJerm7
7/18/2012, 07:23 AM
I had a chance to chat with him a few years ago at a Tulsa Talons game when he played for OKC. I had on an OU shirt and struck up a conversation because we were sitting next to OKC's bench. He seemed happy that someone recognized him. Super nice guy. Said he regretted leaving OU. I wish him nothing but the best.

cleller
7/18/2012, 07:42 AM
Hindsight can kill ya. He'd have sure had a shot here, but who could have foreseen?

PrideMom
7/18/2012, 08:42 AM
That was the year of the Bomar dismissal, and Paul Thompson becoming the quarterback. Tommy Grady probably would have been next in line, but who can argue with the success that Paul Thompson accomplished with Heupel's coaching.

badger
7/18/2012, 08:48 AM
After the AFL had a little lockout of sorts of it's own, it's become a lot tougher to be an Arena player than it used to be.

Unless things have changed, most players make $400 a game (http://www.asylum.com/2010/03/01/jeremy-unertl-players-dish-the-dirt-on-arena-football-leagues-return/), but they also receive meals and lodging during the season. Before the 2009 season suspension, players made a minimum of $31,500 annually, with some players making six figures (http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009-01-20/sports/17914320_1_aaron-garcia-arena-football-league-shutdown).

It still amazes me that with as popular as college football and the NFL are that other leagues struggle and that as we churn more stars outta college eligibility each season, most have no viable place to go football-wise.

Hope you got your college degrees, kids. Or at least got boosters to give you more than a few $100 handshakes.

olevetonahill
7/18/2012, 08:51 AM
I hope he gets an NFL shot

Sco
7/18/2012, 11:02 AM
Never have figured out why he landed at Utah when he left OU. They were still running Meyer's system at the time, & that fit Grady, well, like a milk bucket under a bull. If there was one Stoops era QB that Landry would have a shot to out run in a foot race, it was him.

Well, and Jason White...

stoops the eternal pimp
7/18/2012, 11:45 AM
He had some really bad accuracy issues but seemed like a good kid.

70sooner
7/18/2012, 12:16 PM
Well, and Jason White...

White had pretty good wheels before he blew them out....

Landthief 1972
7/18/2012, 12:57 PM
It seems like the word around town at the time was he struggled to learn and remember the playbook and struggled with reading the defense; i.e., he wasn't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. [shrug]

Widescreen
7/18/2012, 02:13 PM
Honestly, if he couldn't crack the starting lineup at Utah, he wasn't likely to see the field here.

Salt City Sooner
7/18/2012, 05:09 PM
Well, and Jason White...
Like 70 said, post-knee JW. Pre-knee JW was the last OU QB to run for 100 yards in a game.

Curly Bill
7/18/2012, 11:25 PM
I hope he gets an NFL shot

Not me! He left OU to go play somewhere else - hell with him!

olevetonahill
7/18/2012, 11:30 PM

Yea But he knew he dint have much a shot at Playing here, Cant fault a kid fer trying Bro.

Curly Bill
7/18/2012, 11:35 PM
Yea But he knew he dint have much a shot at Playing here, Cant fault a kid fer trying Bro.

You'd be amazed at what I can fault people for! LOL

He's probably a good guy and all that, but if they leave OU in some way other than graduating or going to the league, I don't have much concern what happens to em. Those peeps that wish kids well when they transfer for example? Pfffft on that!

olevetonahill
7/18/2012, 11:40 PM
You'd be amazed at what I can fault people for! LOL

He's probably a good guy and all that, but if they leave OU in some way other than graduating or going to the league, I don't have much concern what happens to em. Those peeps that wish kids well when they transfer for example? Pfffft on that!

You a Hard Man Curly Bill a HARRD man

Curly Bill
7/18/2012, 11:43 PM
You a Hard Man Curly Bill a HARRD man

I care about the college players on one team and one team only. It's not that I wish ill-will on the rest of em, cept for whorns, it's just that I don't give a carp about em unless they play for OU.

olevetonahill
7/18/2012, 11:50 PM
I care about the college players on one team and one team only. It's not that I wish ill-will on the rest of em, cept for whorns, it's just that I don't give a carp about em unless they play for OU.
I agree to a point Bro
But if a Young man came and gave us his best and couldnt beat out the ones in front of him then I wish em God speed .

nighttrain12
7/19/2012, 12:11 AM

What about Marcus Dupree? What do you think about him?

Curly Bill
7/19/2012, 12:31 AM
What about Marcus Dupree? What do you think about him?

Coulda been one of the all-time greats. Instead he's pretty much a loser.