PDA

View Full Version : can the whorns handle a night game...

JLEW1818
7/16/2012, 11:09 PM
At Ole Miss?
8:15 kickoff.

Curly Bill
7/16/2012, 11:10 PM
I don't know what Ole Miss has for a team, but I'll still pick em to beat the whorns in such a scenario.

badger
7/17/2012, 08:46 AM
Their offense will show up late, but their defense will leave early, so it should be close :mack:

soonerboy_odanorth
7/17/2012, 10:22 AM
Don't know why... but I don't think the shorthorns will have any problem with this one. Does Ole Miss have anything this year? They were 2-10 last year, and 0'fer in the SEC. Not that Vandy has bad teams these days, but they got crushed 30-7 by Vandy. In fact, of their 10 losses, only 2 of them were less than a single score's difference. I think Texas rolls.

badger
7/17/2012, 10:26 AM
Does Ole Miss have anything this year?

Texas A&M: I would rather be in a conference with (name SEC's greatest teams) than in a conference with (name Big 12's worst teams).

Every conference has garbage. At least the Big 12 takes out its trash like the civilized folks we are.

Fraggle145
7/17/2012, 11:04 AM
The shouldnt have any problem with Ole Miss. The stadium isnt that big or that loud. This is a fan base that is used to getting its *** kicked. If UT lets them hang around the fans will definitely be drunk and hence might get loud at that point - if they are paying attention. So then they might have a chance.

Girls in The Grove are HAWT. That is all.

SoonerNomad
7/17/2012, 12:57 PM
Did Ole Miss pick up another Manning that I haven't heard about? Texas by 10 or more.

JLEW1818
9/8/2012, 10:15 PM
Bump

JLEW1818
9/14/2012, 02:38 PM
Maybe?

EatLeadCommie
9/14/2012, 03:16 PM
Ole Miss is not an intimidating place to play.

redkid
9/14/2012, 03:25 PM
shorthorns roll in this one

Mississippi Sooner
9/14/2012, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I hate to say it, but Ole Miss gets back to reality this weekend.

As Fraggle said, girl watching in The Grove is the only real entertainment there.

StoopTroup
9/14/2012, 03:49 PM
Ole Miss beat UTEP 28-10 at Home and Nathan Jefferies didn't play I guess. I don't see where he had any stats.

So UTEP still played Ole Miss tight with about the same results we had with them on the road.

I think I smell upset.

Ole Miss 17
Whorns 13

85sooners
9/14/2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I hate to say it, but Ole Miss gets back to reality this weekend.

As Fraggle said, girl watching in The Grove is the only real entertainment there.

I like whore!!

tator
9/14/2012, 03:54 PM
No upset, we played **** against UTEP.

Where did the mystique of the night game come from? Cause I think it's a load of crap. The other team has to play at the same time, and they spent all of their high school years playing at night.

StoopTroup
9/14/2012, 03:57 PM

Where did the mystique of the night game come from? Cause I think it's a load of crap. The other team has to play at the same time, and they spent all of their high school years playing at night.

You could be right. I didn't really put to much stock in how we played. I put stock in that UTEP seems consistant and able to play bigger programs without getting a Savannah St thumping. So I am just taking a swipe at the whorns that they might not get by ole Miss.

We obviously are better off if they beat ole Miss so when we meet at the Cotton Bowl our win will help us at least maintain our position in the polls.

8timechamps
9/14/2012, 04:01 PM
Maybe?

I think it'll be close going into the 4th qtr. That's all Ole Miss can hope for, keep it close and give themselves a chance in the end.

This will be the best defense Texas has seen all year (that's not saying much). I think it's going to be a better game than the experts say.

Mississippi Sooner
9/14/2012, 04:02 PM
I think someone ought to test that mustard that UTEP keeps on the sidelines.

8timechamps
9/14/2012, 04:03 PM

I can't speak for Ole Miss or the Grove, but night games at LSU make for a loud as **** environment. All day for the fans to get drunk. And they are.

MamaMia
9/14/2012, 04:04 PM
I don't think the time will make a difference.

tator
9/14/2012, 04:05 PM
I can't speak for Ole Miss or the Grove, but night games at LSU make for a loud as **** environment. All day for the fans to get drunk. And they are.

So it's a noise thing? Or is it a pressure thing with most of the games being during the day?

I've just never understood when people say that.

marfacowboy
9/14/2012, 04:05 PM
They've beaten Florida at home with teams that weren't so good. You never know what Ole Miss team will come out, but they have enough talent to cause Texas real problems. Ole Miss will be the bigger team, and will be probably be more physical. But they won't have the speed and depth.

StoopTroup
9/14/2012, 04:08 PM
Like the movie said....Any Given Sunday.

The same applies to Saturdays.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/14/2012, 04:18 PM
Ole Miss got all they wanted from Central Ark. sh!t on orange wins comfortably.

8timechamps
9/14/2012, 04:29 PM
So it's a noise thing? Or is it a pressure thing with most of the games being during the day?

I've just never understood when people say that.

Could be both if you're playing LSU. I've been to Death Valley three times, and all three times it was loud. The loudest stadium I've ever heard. A very large majority of the fans start tailgating at 8 or 9 in the morning (for a 7 or 8 o'clock game). You lose track of the drunk people. I'm sure that fuels a lot of it. However, I don't know if that is the case at other places. Seems like in Norman, a night game is as loud as a day game (with the exception of the Tech game in 08).

marfacowboy
9/14/2012, 04:36 PM
Could be both if you're playing LSU. I've been to Death Valley three times, and all three times it was loud. The loudest stadium I've ever heard. A very large majority of the fans start tailgating at 8 or 9 in the morning (for a 7 or 8 o'clock game). You lose track of the drunk people. I'm sure that fuels a lot of it. However, I don't know if that is the case at other places. Seems like in Norman, a night game is as loud as a day game (with the exception of the Tech game in 08).

Hell, some of them get there days before and start tailgating.

JLEW1818
9/14/2012, 04:38 PM
Hell, some of them get there days before and start tailgating.[/QUOTE]

Thats because that state does not work.

8timechamps
9/14/2012, 04:57 PM
Hell, some of them get there days before and start tailgating.

The first time I went, I stayed the weekend with a guy that had season tickets. We stayed out late Friday (like 2 or 3 am). The next morning, he woke me up at around 6 in the morning ready to go to the game. Kickoff was at 8:00pm. I thought he was nuts, until we got to the parking area...there were tons of people there already set up and drinking. It was my first exposure to the SEC tailgate. They do have that down to a fine art.

Mississippi Sooner
9/14/2012, 05:04 PM
The first time I went, I stayed the weekend with a guy that had season tickets. We stayed out late Friday (like 2 or 3 am). The next morning, he woke me up at around 6 in the morning ready to go to the game. Kickoff was at 8:00pm. I thought he was nuts, until we got to the parking area...there were tons of people there already set up and drinking. It was my first exposure to the SEC tailgate. They do have that down to a fine art.

I've experienced it at Ole Miss, Miss State and Bama, but at those places it was mostly just drinking and having a good time. At LSU there comes a point where it seems to go over the line into craziness. It's the closest thing I've ever seen at a college game that I'd compare to a Raider game in Oakland. I know I've said this before on here, but if y'all thought they were bad at the Sugar Bowl that time, they can be even worse when another SEC school is involved.

marfacowboy
9/14/2012, 05:25 PM
There's a story about Archie Manning being on the team bus going onto the LSU campus with the Ole Miss team. As the story goes, the fans-already completely trashed-started rocking the bus back and forth and almost knocked it over. Or, as we say in the South, it was almost "tumped" over.

picasso
9/14/2012, 05:36 PM
Guy, guys, night is the only time to try to handle the Ole Miss.

Kids, heh...

HAMTTX
9/14/2012, 07:00 PM
I don't know what Ole Miss has for a team, but I'll still pick em to beat the whorns in such a scenario.

Ol miss has enough players to cause anyone some problems if as a team you don't show up and play a solid game. Texas has both more, and better players. But it would be a mistake to think they can just "show up" and walk through it. What I really want to see is just how good Texas' defensive front 7 are.

8timechamps
9/14/2012, 07:18 PM
I've experienced it at Ole Miss, Miss State and Bama, but at those places it was mostly just drinking and having a good time. At LSU there comes a point where it seems to go over the line into craziness. It's the closest thing I've ever seen at a college game that I'd compare to a Raider game in Oakland. I know I've said this before on here, but if y'all thought they were bad at the Sugar Bowl that time, they can be even worse when another SEC school is involved.

The first game I saw there was LSU/Tennessee. I've always followed Tennessee (both parents are grads), but wasn't particularly wanting them to win that year. There were a group of Vol fans walking through the area we were set-up, and as usual, the LSU fans started with the "Tiger bait" thing...One of the hillbillies in the Tennessee group yelled something, and there was an instant fist-fight. Saw variations of that throughout the night (a lot of LSU on LSU hate too).

JLEW1818
9/15/2012, 08:34 PM
Of course they get Randy C as their ref.

Blue
9/15/2012, 08:40 PM
Yall ever see that South Park episode where they were farting in a glass and whiffing it? I thought of that episode tonight when I thought of ut and ole miss fans getting together for a pregame tailgate in the Grove.

BajaOklahoma
9/15/2012, 08:42 PM
He has to be about the age to retire.

CowboyMRW
9/15/2012, 08:44 PM
One of the big advangates of night games, especially in the early part of the season is 1) Fans can drink all day and 2) It's a lot cooler at night, so the fans can hold their alcohol longer, making them extra rowdy and loud.

Blue
9/15/2012, 08:51 PM
And for Ok State fans , you're usually too hammered to care that you lost another game.

bluedogok
9/15/2012, 08:58 PM
He has to be about the age to retire.
Mack or Cristal?

soonerinabilene
9/15/2012, 09:06 PM
Ole Miss needs to find some more homeless black kids, cause their O line is horrible.

birddog
9/15/2012, 09:07 PM
score?

Blue
9/15/2012, 09:09 PM
10-7 ut.

soonerinabilene
9/15/2012, 09:09 PM
10-7 tx. Start of 2nd quarter.

birddog
9/15/2012, 09:10 PM
seems like a very relevant question considering the posts in the thread. can't watch it so i'm curious.

some of you forgot to remember that texass sucks.

Blue
9/15/2012, 09:15 PM
Mizzou in trouble. Ha. Baylor in trouble with sam Houston State. Ha.

JLEW1818
9/15/2012, 09:30 PM
****ing cheaters

Blue
9/15/2012, 09:31 PM
He clearly stepped out of bounds.

soonerinabilene
9/15/2012, 09:43 PM
How the **** was that indisputable evidence?

Blue
9/15/2012, 09:47 PM
Half his foot was in the white. What more do you need?

cleller
9/15/2012, 09:50 PM
Eh, shoot. Texas is just too big and fast for them. Ole Miss needs to rise again. Or at least rise.

JLEW1818
9/15/2012, 11:00 PM
Whorns big.

How you feel about them down the road?

Blue
9/15/2012, 11:16 PM
I want them pumped up and undefeated before we lay the smack down. Hopefully they are good and we are better. Same with WVU.

OUInformant
9/15/2012, 11:23 PM
Texas runs the ball well, but they don't have much of a passing game. We should definitely beat them if we play well.

As good as our secondary is playing, UT won't be able to throw on us. Scoring early will definitely be important because they will probably not be able to play from behind.

BlownGP
9/15/2012, 11:42 PM
Guess ole miss hasn't SEC teams play defense. haha Texas hasn't looked so great on defense either. Jones if he has time should light them up.

EatLeadCommie
9/16/2012, 04:30 AM
Impressive win by Texas. As much as I would have loved to see them lose, I love to see the SEC eat a big fat one even more. My impressions... UT has a good OL and Malcolm Brown is a stud. Ash continues to improve, but 2 of his long TDs tonight would have been picked off or at least incomplete had there been a DB with a brain. And yes, even our DBs have a brain sometimes. I always thought Ash was better than McCoy Lite. He has potential.

Basically, OU will need to have a spy on Brown and do the occasional blitz to screw up Ash.

Oh, BTW... total Bush League move to run a trick play with 50+ points in the 3rd quarter. Seriously? Glad that one didn't work out. They could've just run it up the gut or passed. No need for trickery.

marfacowboy
9/16/2012, 08:49 AM
I was at the Texas-Ole Miss game. Texas' front, on both sides of the ball, was impressive. DB's not so impressive. They're going to move the ball, so I'd say expect a high scoring game. Ole Miss is depleted right now and was severely overmatched, but Texas is very improved.
Ash looked in control, and they're deep at RB. We'll need McGee back for this one.

marfacowboy
9/16/2012, 08:51 AM
Oh, BTW... total Bush League move to run a trick play with 50+ points in the 3rd quarter. Seriously? Glad that one didn't work out. They could've just run it up the gut or passed. No need for trickery.

I don't remember that play, but they basically ran off tackle all night. Took a knee in the 4th when they could have hung 70 on them.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/16/2012, 10:03 AM
Big 12! Big ... eh **** it!

Crimson Kid
9/16/2012, 10:07 AM
Well. I guess your question has been answered. As much as i hate the whorns, their D looks scary good.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/16/2012, 10:12 AM
Well. I guess your question has been answered. As much as i hate the whorns, their D looks scary good.

Despite the fact that they gave up 31 points against an atrocious offense with most of those points coming in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and not in the 4th quarter along with showing not to be that good at defending the pass or run against an atrocious offense?

marfacowboy
9/16/2012, 10:41 AM
Despite the fact that they gave up 31 points against an atrocious offense with most of those points coming in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and not in the 4th quarter along with showing not to be that good at defending the pass or run against an atrocious offense?

Mostly on mistakes by the DB's. I think they can fix that.

Stooper
9/16/2012, 12:17 PM
I hate to say this, but I do not feel that our line on either side can handle Texas line. I hope I am wrong, but they looked good last night.

EatLeadCommie
9/16/2012, 03:20 PM
I don't remember that play, but they basically ran off tackle all night. Took a knee in the 4th when they could have hung 70 on them.

It was a play similar to the one that won the game for WKU over Kentucky.

StoopTroup
9/16/2012, 03:33 PM
Looks like Texas is deep with great recruits who are ready to play average again this year.

I scanned through the recording I scheduled this morning.

Statalyzer
9/16/2012, 07:15 PM

Eh, it was an end around where Shipley had the option to run, pass downfield, or throw back to Ash - we pull some version of that once per game as a part of our regular offense.

Ash continues to improve, but 2 of his long TDs tonight would have been picked off or at least incomplete had there been a DB with a brain

We threw deep 7 times. Once a PI bailed us out. Once he missed a wide open Shipley in the endzone. The other 5 were complete, but 4 of those 5 were badly underthrown (the 5th at least was a thing of beauty). On all 4, the DB failed to look back in a timely manner and thus overran the play while the Texas WR made an adjustment (ie had to stop dead in his tracks and sit and wait for the ball), and then on 2 of them, said DB then missed the tackle on our stationary WR who then waltzed in for a TD. Ash's other 2 TD passes were 2 yard tosses to wide open players on run fakes. One of the most misleading stat lines for a QB that I've ever seen. I really hope he fixes this or your secondary is going to chew him up yet again.

As much as i hate the whorns, their D looks scary good

Our Dline is badass, but our secondary (which was supposed to be our best unit on either side of the ball) is pretty shaky and our DBs and LBs both missed a lot of tackles. Basically, Mississippi scored on a drive unless we intercepted a pass or sacked the QB on back to back plays. 66-31 is dominant but we still have a lot to work on.