PDA

View Full Version : 25 Reasons it's good to be a Texas Longhorn fan

Mazeppa
7/13/2012, 08:00 PM
Top 25 Reasons It's Good to Be a Texas Longhorns Fan
By Samantha Perkins | Yahoo! Contributor Network

Whether you love 'em or hate 'em, it has to be said that everyone knows what it means when they hear "Hook 'em!'

In no particular order, the following is a mere sampling of why it feels good to be a Texas Longhorns fan:

1. No matter what happens, Texas does it big: Win or lose, Texans know how to get excited about football -- that's a fact.

2. Bevo: One of the toughest and most recognized mascots in college football, Bevo holds a special place in the hearts of Longhorn fans.

3. The Red River Shootout: The intense rivalry between Texas and OU is one of the best in NCAA football. The game is played each season at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, just in time for the State Fair of Texas.

4. Hook 'em Horns: The famous hand sign representing the Texas Longhorns, which can be thrown up anywhere, at anytime, to display instant Longhorn pride.

5. Better than OU: 59-42 5.

6. UT Tower: The 307-foot campus tower lights up in spectacular burnt orange for football victories.

7. "The Eyes of Texas": Played at every sporting event, this is the official Alma Mater of UT.

8. The Torchlight Parade: An annual show of spirit where students rally pep before the Red River Shootout.

9. Success: 858 all-time victories. The second-most wins of any Division I FBS team, even though we got started 14 years after Michigan.

10. 2005 National Championship: Texas won arguably the most exciting football game ever played against USC for the 2005 national championship.

11. We have our own TV network: The Longhorn Network kicked off last year. Despite some controversy, having our own channel is pretty cool.

12. Smokey the Cannon: An old Civil War replica cannon shot off during games, and especially after the fight song.

13. Multiple Heisman Trophy winners: Ricky Williams and Earl Campbell are examples.

14. Still better than OU: We stole Darrell K. Royal from rival OU.

15. Location: Austin is the live-music capital of the world, as well as the name of my first-born.

16. Burnt Orange: (Texas Orange) The best color. Period.

17. Book Smarts: Along with football, there is also focus on academics. UT is one of the largest and most esteemed public universities in the U.S.

18. Cheerleaders: Unlike Texas A&M, the Longhorns have female cheerleaders.

19. Tom Landry: The legendary Tom Landry played for the Longhorns.

20. Hex Rally: An annual ritual were thousands of fans light candles and meet on the steps of the UT main building to curse the Texas A&M Aggies.

21. 2011 Lone Star Rivalry Game: Trailing most of the game, Texas came back and won it in the fourth quarter with a last-second field goal. The game ended the over 100-year-old rivalry with Texas A&M.

22. "Texas Fight": The official fight song of UT, which inspires a healthy fighting spirit in any Longhorns fan.

23. Colt McCoy: He has the most victories for a Longhorns quarterback and, up until last season, had the most victories for any Division-I quarterback.

24. Big Bertha: It has to be said: Everything is bigger in Texas. Eight feet in diameter, Big Bertha is the world's largest drum.

25. The fans: "If God isn't a Longhorns fan, why is the sunset burnt orange?" -- Adam R. (personal interview)

As a loyal Longhorns fan of many exciting years, sharing this list fills me with magnificent burnt orange happiness. I can only hope that the world enjoys reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

(This last line is from the author not Mazeppa, just wanted to make that clear!)

Phil
7/13/2012, 08:29 PM
This is from Bleacher Report, right? This is the type of hard-hitting journalism we're used to seeing from them.

agoo758
7/13/2012, 09:10 PM
Since i have nothing to do before I go drink, I am going to play badger and give this a shot, the ones I left out arn't worth mentioning.

1. No matter what happens, Texas does it big: Win or lose, Texans know how to get excited about football -- that's a fact.

This is the funniest one on the list. After losing 12 games in 13 seasons Texas can't even brag about winning anymore, instead they go: Na! Na! Our toys are bigger than yours! :grief:

2. Bevo: One of the toughest and most recognized mascots in college football, Bevo holds a special place in the hearts of Longhorn fans.

Standford's tree is also recognized, and we all know how great of a tradition they have!

3. The Red River Shootout: The intense rivalry between Texas and OU is one of the best in NCAA football. The game is played each season at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, just in time for the State Fair of Texas.

I guess if you call 3 blow out losses under the stoops era to be an intense rilvarly....

4. Horns: The famous hand sign representing the Texas Longhorns, which can be thrown up anywhere, at anytime, to display instant Longhorn pride.
They have no idea how much everyone, not just OU fans, wants to jam them in a liquifier everytime they show that obnoxious sign.

5. Better than OU: 59-42 5.

Congratulations, you started off with no less than ten time the money and resources as OU did and you managed to win a few out of the gate! What a difficult acheivement!

6. UT Tower: The 307-foot campus tower lights up in spectacular burnt orange for football victories.
Also the sight of a crazed gunman who murdered several students. Oh the memories!

7. "The Eyes of Texas": Played at every sporting event, this is the official Alma Mater of UT.

I'd like to jab the eyes of texas with an icepick/

9. Success: 858 all-time victories. The second-most wins of any Division I FBS team, even though we got started 14 years after Michigan.

Another texas accomplishment: having more wins than a school who can't beat division 1 AA powerhouses.

10. 2005 National Championship: Texas won arguably the most exciting football game ever played against USC for the 2005 national championship.

And our first championship in 35 years!

11. We have our own TV network: The Longhorn Network kicked off last year. Despite some controversy, having our own channel is pretty cool.

Yay! We know how to throw money at projects that arn't profitable by any strech of theimagination!

13. Multiple Heisman Trophy winners: Ricky Williams and Earl Campbell are examples.
That's right! and OU DOESN'T have multiple hesiman trophy winners!

14. Still better than OU: We stole Darrell K. Royal from rival OU.
Texas logic, we steal from you, that makes us cool, but if you recruit players from texas, you're leeches.

15. Location: Austin is the live-music capital of the world, as well as the name of my first-born.

I hate your first born, and so will many others im sure.

17. Book Smarts: Along with football, there is also focus on academics. UT is one of the largest and most esteemed public universities in the U.S.

I guess I can't argue with that, when you have more money than any school in the country, I guess you can't screw up EVERYTHING.

And your cheerleaders couldn't dress any unsexier, ****ing dykes.

25. The fans: "If God isn't a Longhorns fan, why is the sunset burnt orange?" -- Adam R. (personal interview)

So that you idiots could stare at the sun admiring that it is in fact, burnt orange, and then you can burn a hole in your retina, go blind, and walk off a cliff and catch cancer on your way down, God I hate Texas.

BillyBall
7/13/2012, 09:18 PM
Way to many threads a day and most of it based on bull****.... Yep, he's now on ignore..

mainline13
7/13/2012, 09:39 PM
26. Texas beats OU head to head, but OU wins the conference. ...

... wait for it ....

Yet they call us chokers.

Yup, that one is my favorite.

Mazeppa
7/13/2012, 10:29 PM
This is from Bleacher Report, right? This is the type of hard-hitting journalism we're used to seeing from them.

No but just as bad, Yahoo sports.

Soonerus
7/13/2012, 10:33 PM
Texas is inferior, that is why they need things like this...

Salt City Sooner
7/13/2012, 10:45 PM
We stole Darrell K. Royal from rival OU.
Last I checked, DKR was at Washington when UT hired him, at Mississippi State before that, & never coached a game at OU, but hey, whatever helps her sleep at night.

MamaMia
7/13/2012, 11:02 PM
Top 25 Reasons It's Good to Be a Texas Longhorns Fan
By Samantha Perkins | Yahoo! Contributor Network

[Blah blah blah]...

(This last line is from the author not Mazeppa, just wanted to make that clear!)Whew...for a moment I didn't think I knew you anymore. :)

Sooner70
7/14/2012, 08:58 AM
The best thing about Texas, and most Sooners would agree I think, is that they remain under the illusion of grandeur, a false sense of superiority and live in an attitude entitlement of stuff like Mazeppa posts that keeps them living in the past and prevents them from moving forward. To OU fans, that's a good thing.

OU's second longest winning streak is as good as Texas' longest, I do believe.

Check # of Heisman winners.

One thing Texas does do better than OU. They repeatedly recruit the highest ranked HS schoolboy classes in the US of A and generally manage to turn them to mediocrity on the CFB playing field. BOOMER SOONER!

LVSOONER15
7/14/2012, 09:16 AM
Texas can suck it for all I care.

SoonerMarkVA
7/14/2012, 10:11 AM
I was going along with a mild chuckle every now and then until this:

So that you idiots could stare at the sun admiring that it is in fact, burnt orange, and then you can burn a hole in your retina, go blind, and walk off a cliff and catch cancer on your way down, God I hate Texas.

ROTFL!

soonerloyal
7/14/2012, 10:28 AM
Must have been a really boring day in Red Fork, huh? :fatigue:

SOFSooner
7/14/2012, 10:33 AM
Twenty-five reasons why its good to be a shorthorn, but hundreds of thousand reasons why it is better to not be a shorthorn!!!!!

Mazeppa
7/14/2012, 11:37 PM
Must have been a really boring day in Red Fork, huh? :fatigue:

You took the time to open the thread didn't you?

budbarrybob
7/15/2012, 09:05 AM
This is another thread that makes me want to schedule my lobotomy...

badger
7/16/2012, 09:13 AM
24. Big Bertha: It has to be said: Everything is bigger in Texas. Eight feet in diameter, Big Bertha is the world's largest drum.
Purdue says hi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purdue_Big_Bass_Drum). And whorn's drum is actually from the University of Chicago. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bertha_%28drum%29)

stoops the eternal pimp
7/16/2012, 09:16 AM
Why is this here?

Fraggle145
7/16/2012, 10:01 AM
No.

setem
7/16/2012, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE]

And your cheerleaders couldn't dress any unsexier, ****ing dykes.
[/QUOTE

I can't agree with you at all on this!

They have this...
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/7-texas-football-cheerleaders-1.jpg
and we have this...
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/543/51543/116076.jpg

While I hate everything about that school and team...they have us on that front!