PDA

View Full Version : Auburn commit Dee Liner arrested, charged in two incidents in 10 days

Mazeppa
7/12/2012, 09:18 PM
5-star Auburn commit Dee Liner arrested, charged in separate incidents in 10 days

By Matt Hinton | CBSSports.com College Football Blogger
July 11, 2012 7:14 pm ET

Today in minor recruiting arrests: The early headliner of Auburn's 2013 recruiting class, Muscle Shoals, Ala., defensive tackle Dee Liner, has reportedly been arrested for criminal trespassing – his second offense in less than two weeks.

According to WAFF-TV in Huntsville, Liner (not to be confused with early nineties house/dance group Deee-Lite) was arrested around 1 a.m. Wednesday morning after being spotted jumping a fence at a public pool along with several other people. The initial charge, burglary, was quickly reduced to criminal trespassing, a misdemeanor; no court date has been set. The threat of a felony count having been narrowly avoided, Auburn fans will now take solace in the image of a 6-foot-3, 270-pound lineman hopping a fence as more proof of his freakish athleticism.

A previous (and previously unreported) incident may prove more serious. On July 1, Liner was arrested following an altercation with a female officer who had pulled over his mother in Muscle Shoals. According to a police report, Liner pulled up in a second car during the traffic stop and began "screaming, cursing and throwing objects" at the officer, allegedly yelling "Let my f------ mother go. You're not going to tell me what to do." He's set to appear on Aug. 23 on two misdemeanor charges from that incident, for disorderly conduct and obstructing government operations.

Liner, committed to Auburn since June 2011, is considered a five-star prospect by virtually every major recruiting site, several of which rate him as the No. 1 defensive tackle in the entire 2013 class. He reinforced his commitment in April, following an unofficial visit to Alabama, assuring Tiger fans that "there wasn't nothing serious about the trip to Tuscaloosa" and promising "I'm 100 percent with Auburn, no matter what." We should know soon if the feeling is reciprocated.

Per NCAA rules, Auburn is not allowed to comment on the arrest, or publicly acknowledge the existence of a potential recruit in any fashion. Neither Liner nor the school of his choice is bound to anything until he's allowed to sign an official letter of intent next February.

brokenarrowboomer
7/13/2012, 09:56 AM
That's OK, they were able to come up with enough money to get an Alabama recruit to switch to Auburn.

KantoSooner
7/13/2012, 10:11 AM
To be frank, for a defensive tackle, the activities cited could also be characterized as 'Saturday Night'.
I mean, jumping a fence surrounding a pool? Really?
Throwing chit and yelling at a police officer? much more serious, but still not up to Penn State standards.
He's a DT. By definition he's crazy and violent.

badger
7/13/2012, 10:48 AM
SEC athletic director: I am the athletic director of the University of Georgia... is there anything you can do without arresting me?
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Lwa-s14tgbI/0.jpg
SEC football coach: I was just going out on a Sunday night after dinner, a short ride. I had been in that area before, but I normally stopped at Elkins High School and turned around and came back, so I went a little further.
http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/petrino1.jpg
Seriously... why does anyone expect anything but off-field issues with these players when they have these type of role models.

opksooner
7/15/2012, 10:38 AM
.......yelling "Let my f------ mother go....." Now, that right there is some pretty funny stuff.

Eielson
7/15/2012, 12:15 PM
Dee Liner plays DT? Good call from the parents right there!

cleller
7/15/2012, 02:28 PM
I knew a guy that ran the neighborhood pool in a housing addition. Kids were always climbing in at night. He wasn't sure how they got in, but could tell they always went out at a point where a retaining wall inside the fence made it easy to get out. Outside the fence here, he spread a mixture of oil, tar and dirt.

He then sent word of this thru the neighborhood newsletter, and asked parents to check their kids shoes and clothes. Problem solved, but these were amateur rule breakers.