PDA

View Full Version : DirectTV in dispute wirh Viacom

Mazeppa
7/11/2012, 08:13 PM
July 11, 2012
DirectTV, in dispute with Viacom, drops 17 stations from lineup
Rick Moran

Channels such as Nick at Night, Comedy Central, Spike TV, and MTV went dark just before midnight as DirectTV stopped broadcasting 17 channels owned by Viacom.

At issue; Viacom's insistence for what DirectTV calls a "30% increase" in fees which Viacom says is only "pennies per day" for each customer.

Washington Post:

"We have been very willing to get a deal done, but Viacom is pushing DirecTV customers to pay more than a 30 percent increase," Derek Chang, DirecTV's executive vice president of content, strategy and development, said in the statement sent late yesterday New York time. "Viacom sent us a letter last night that outlined our obligations to remove the channels by midnight or face legal action."

The standoff marks the latest fee tussle between a pay-TV provider and program supplier. Such fights have blacked out millions of subscribers in recent years, including 14 million Dish Network Corp. customers who lost access to AMC Networks Inc. last month. Viacom said on its blog that its programs amount to 20 percent of the audience at DirecTV. DirecTV cited falling ratings at Viacom's channels.

"It has been inconceivable that any distributor could drop Viacom's networks, mostly because of Nickelodeon," Todd Juenger, a Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. analyst in New York, wrote in a note in June. "But ratings are down, often significantly, at networks representing 71 percent of Viacom affiliate fees."

[...]

DirecTV dropped Viacom's channels about 10 minutes before midnight with no warning, Viacom executive Mark Jafar said in a blog post. He said DirecTV "refused to engage in meaningful conversation."

"We are deeply disappointed that DirecTV dropped Viacom's channels before our midnight deadline this evening, severing our connection with its nearly 20 million subscribers nationwide," Jafar said. "We proposed a fair deal that amounted to an increase of only a couple pennies per day, per subscriber, and we remained willing to negotiate that deal right up to this evening's deadline."

In its own posting, DirecTV said Viacom demanded a 30 percent increase in fees over the term of a new contract, amounting to more than $1 billion in additional costs. Viacom said its fees account for less than 5 percent of the satellite service's programming expenses, and that DirecTV "enjoyed way below market rates for Viacom's networks for a very long time."

DirectTV plays hardball with its vendors, no question about it. This is the third time in the last two years they've temporarily suspended programming, but never this many channels.

If things hold true to form, the stations will be back on the air in 2 or 3 days. In the meantime, I'll have to do without watching reruns of CSI on Spike for a while.

olevetonahill
7/11/2012, 08:19 PM
Got Direct dont watch much of anything . Wonder why I keep paying fer that carp in the Off Season?

IBleedCrimson
7/11/2012, 11:42 PM
This nonsense happens all the time. When I was working as a Dish installer, they had 3 different incidences like this, all from major networks. Its a contract game... contract runs out, network pushes for more money and the distributor pushes for less. They usually meet somewhere in the middle at a slight increase, then coverage resumes.

nighttrain12
7/12/2012, 12:27 AM
Just as long as they don't take ESPN, Playboy Channel or Cinemax off, I'll be fine.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/12/2012, 11:23 AM
AKA, Spanktervision.

Sooner5030
7/12/2012, 12:03 PM
I don't watch any of those channels listed so f-em.........however if they touch my NFL ticket, ESPNsx10, all the NAT GEO/DISC/HD stuff I'll be pissed.

badger
7/12/2012, 12:41 PM
"pennies per day"

CUSTOMER: Do you honor Mega Lo Mart coupons?
HANK: No, but for pennies more, you get the same products with Strickland service.
CUSTOMER: How many pennies?
HANK: Several hundred.

8timechamps
7/12/2012, 02:30 PM
This nonsense happens all the time. When I was working as a Dish installer, they had 3 different incidences like this, all from major networks. Its a contract game... contract runs out, network pushes for more money and the distributor pushes for less. They usually meet somewhere in the middle at a slight increase, then coverage resumes.

I left Dish Network because of that reason. I loved satellite service, but really loathed the issues with the contracts and losing channels.

Honestly, now that cable is hi-speed (or whatever they call it), it's really no different than Dish. Outside of sports and news, I don't watch a ton of TV, but my kids do.

kbsooner21
7/12/2012, 02:38 PM
DirectTV never seems to have a problem raising their fees to me. *******s

stoops the eternal pimp
7/12/2012, 04:00 PM
I may switch to DirectTV since we don't watch any of those channels and may get some extra free stuff.

Wishboned
7/12/2012, 04:40 PM
Dish has temporarily dropped AMC because negotiations fell through. A friend of mine called to complain and ended up getting a free Roku box.

yermom
7/12/2012, 06:38 PM
ooh, a Roku to watch the shows you torrent after you cancel service :)

the only thing i really miss about cable is high def ESPN/college football

8timechamps
7/12/2012, 07:23 PM
ooh, a Roku to watch the shows you torrent after you cancel service :)

the only thing i really miss about cable is high def ESPN/college football

I didn't realize that the satellite services didn't have HD ESPN. It's been a few years since I dropped Dish. You'd think that would be commonplace at this point in the game.

yermom
7/12/2012, 07:51 PM
they don't??

to be clear, i don't have cable or satellite, and the only thing i miss is sports in HD

DenverSooner751
7/12/2012, 10:19 PM
They have it in hd, watching it now

badger
7/13/2012, 01:40 PM
Someday, the most desirable channels will break away from cable/channel providing companies completely. You are already seeing hints of that with ESPN3.com and ESPN on Xbox 360 (you currently need to have a participating cable provider to be able to use those services). They just need to be solvent on their own. ESPN probably would have already, if they weren't making so much off of cable companies (I've heard $4 per subscriber per month)

bluedogok
7/13/2012, 10:10 PM
I left Dish Network because of that reason. I loved satellite service, but really loathed the issues with the contracts and losing channels.

Honestly, now that cable is hi-speed (or whatever they call it), it's really no different than Dish. Outside of sports and news, I don't watch a ton of TV, but my kids do.
They all face those issues, I know that Time Warner had the same thing happen with one of the networks around the same time Dish did, I think Cox in OKC has had the same issues. It's only going to get worse when any of the Comcast/NBC stuff comes up for renewal on any cable system other than Comcast.

When we moved in up here the Directv was installed quickly, Comcast internet as well. I was not a fan of Comcast TV service after living with it at my friend's condo while I was staying at his place.

BajaOklahoma
7/14/2012, 10:20 AM
Someday, the most desirable channels will break away from cable/channel providing companies completely. You are already seeing hints of that with ESPN3.com and ESPN on Xbox 360 (you currently need to have a participating cable provider to be able to use those services). They just need to be solvent on their own. ESPN probably would have already, if they weren't making so much off of cable companies (I've heard $4 per subscriber per month)

And it sucks to have the wrong service when you want to watch a channel online. They don't let you purchase a pass to watch them either.

8timechamps
7/15/2012, 08:28 PM
they don't??

to be clear, i don't have cable or satellite, and the only thing i miss is sports in HD

I completely misread your post, and thought you were saying satellite didn't have HD ESPN. Carry on.

8timechamps
7/15/2012, 08:30 PM
They all face those issues, I know that Time Warner had the same thing happen with one of the networks around the same time Dish did, I think Cox in OKC has had the same issues. It's only going to get worse when any of the Comcast/NBC stuff comes up for renewal on any cable system other than Comcast.

When we moved in up here the Directv was installed quickly, Comcast internet as well. I was not a fan of Comcast TV service after living with it at my friend's condo while I was staying at his place.

I'm sure they do, I just can't recall it happening as often with cable.

Having had DISH (years ago), and Comcast, I honestly don't see the difference. I'm not a huge watcher, and I'm rarely home on Sundays (for the Season Ticket, or whatever the exclusive DirectTV NFL thing is), so maybe I'm missing something.

bluedogok
7/15/2012, 10:27 PM
I have NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings and had NHL Center Ice, after we got a big screen my wife wanted to get Sunday Ticket so of course I had to oblige. I have had Directv for 13 years, I got it when I lived in The Village and had Multimedia Cablevision and the cable went out every time the wind blew with the overhead lines. So I pretty much changed out of necessity and have liked it enough to keep it ever since.

MamaMia
7/16/2012, 05:33 AM
I wish they would allow you to choose the channels you want to watch and charge you a fee for those channels, instead of having you pay for a whole "package plan" that includes channels you never watch just to get that one channel that you do like.

delhalew
7/16/2012, 12:22 PM
My kids want there Spongebob and Futurama back...pronto.