PDA

View Full Version : You must be THIS TALL to get autographs at Meet the Sooners Day

badger
7/10/2012, 05:06 PM
Or rather, THIS SHORT.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120710_92_0_NORMAN682210)

Yes, selfish eBaying adults that beg Sam Bradford for his autograph by calling him "Colt" in New York during the Heisman week (no joke that happened (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20081221_231_B1_WHENOK478632&archive=yes)) are frowned upon when the event is intended for kiddos.

So, if you've got a kid, no need to camp out overnight for the marquee lines. You'll probably be able to get through every player and be able to play catch with the autographed ball with them afterward :)

MamaMia
7/10/2012, 05:21 PM
I think its a great rule. 4 years ago I took my Godson and two of his little league teammates, who I had purchased Kids Club meberships for, to get autographs. I couldn't understand why the line was barely moving until I went to investigate. I saw a bunch of guys in their late 20's and 30's entering the lines from the far right and making their way across the tables sideways, taking cuts in front of the children.

8timechamps
7/10/2012, 08:11 PM
Funny, I was just reading this on SoonerSports.

I'm sure the ebayers will find a way to do what they do, but I think it's a good move.

nighttrain12
7/10/2012, 08:13 PM
In other words, the people that earn all the money to buy all the OU game tickets and merchandise don't have a chance to get an autograph.

ouflak
7/11/2012, 02:13 AM
In other words, the people that earn all the money to buy all the OU game tickets and merchandise don't have a chance to get an autograph.

Sure they do. But at an even meant for kids to be getting those autographs, ... well... kids should be getting those autographs.

badger
7/11/2012, 10:56 AM

OU Caravan is for the adults to get autographs. Sooner Kids Club's Meet the Sooners is for the kids.

KantoSooner
7/11/2012, 11:17 AM
I've got one or two pieces of 'mem' from when I was a kid; and I like them. But it's more because I was a kid when I got them. This bought and paid for sports memorabilia is really, when you get down to it, kind of embarrassing or icky for adults to be pursuing.
Don't you think?

nighttrain12
7/12/2012, 12:21 AM
Why is it weird to want to have memorabilia of famous (or from your alma mater) sports stars who may be much younger than you? It's like living your early adulthood again though that person may have never been good enough to play college sports at a high level. Fame is certainly a peculiar thing but as long as it is one adult being a fan of another (very likely younger) adult, I don't see the problem.

Wouldn't you all over age 30 people want to get Sam Bradford and Adrian Peterson's autograph if you haven't already? Obviously they won't be at this event but I wish I had the chance.

bixby28
7/12/2012, 01:10 AM
Why is it weird to want to have memorabilia of famous (or from your alma mater) sports stars who may be much younger than you? It's like living your early adulthood again though that person may have never been good enough to play college sports at a high level. Fame is certainly a peculiar thing but as long as it is one adult being a fan of another (very likely younger) adult, I don't see the problem.

Wouldn't you all over age 30 people want to get Sam Bradford and Adrian Peterson's autograph if you haven't already? Obviously they won't be at this event but I wish I had the chance.

You're kidding, right ?

BigJerm7
7/12/2012, 07:44 AM
I think this is a great idea, because yes, it was obviously being abused.

I'm only 35, but I'm over caring about getting anyone's autograph even Sam Bradford or Adrian Peterson.

A few years back, I saw Jason White at the Tulsa State Fair, who is my all time favorite OU QB. Didn't bother him at all. I know he's famous, he knows he's famous and I left it at that. I respected that he was probably just wanting to go on about his day and let him be. I've seen several famous ex-Sooners throughout the years in various public places. I may say hi or something to that effect, but I've never gotten the autograph thing. Maybe it's the almighty dollar that drives it, but I've never understood why a scribbled name can be worth so much. For the kids, yes I understand.

badger
7/12/2012, 09:03 AM

I'm only 35, but I'm over caring about getting anyone's autograph even Sam Bradford or Adrian Peterson.

A few years back, I saw Jason White at the Tulsa State Fair, who is my all time favorite OU QB. Didn't bother him at all. I know he's famous, he knows he's famous and I left it at that. I respected that he was probably just wanting to go on about his day and let him be. I've seen several famous ex-Sooners throughout the years in various public places. I may say hi or something to that effect, but I've never gotten the autograph thing. Maybe it's the almighty dollar that drives it, but I've never understood why a scribbled name can be worth so much. For the kids, yes I understand.

Jason especially seems annoyed with the whole autograph thing. At one of the Heisman unveiling ceremonies, I didn't even need to get my whole question out. He just took the ball outta my hands and signed it.

For the record, it was a present for my dad. I don't actively pursue autographs.

KantoSooner
7/12/2012, 09:03 AM
I guess the weirdness to me is not in the memories but in the collecting and keeping of mystical relicts. .... and then buying and selling them. I mean, I loved me my Billy Sims back in the day. Even had a beer with him once in an airport. I wouldn't want his used jammies, though, even if he signed them.

badger
7/12/2012, 09:05 AM
I guess the weirdness to me is not in the memories but in the collecting and keeping of mystical relicts. .... and then buying and selling them. I mean, I loved me my Billy Sims back in the day. Even had a beer with him once in an airport. I wouldn't want his used jammies, though, even if he signed them.

There's this memorabilia and gear store here in Tulsa that Billy has obviously been to, because every single Billy Sims shirt is signed. Every single one on the rack! It's crazy. It's that t-shirt company that Boz has some part in.

KantoSooner
7/12/2012, 10:11 AM
If someone wanted to pay me to sign stuff, I'm 'Mr. John Hancock'. If someone wants to charge me extra to get a celebs signature on something, no thanks. Unless maybe it was something like Rodin signing 'The Thinker' with 'Thinking of you...' or something tongue in cheek.

MamaMia
7/12/2012, 12:51 PM
My husband has a whole office full of mounted or framed signed jerseys, footballs, magazine covers, prints, helmets and you name it. We either receive them as gifts or buy them at sports stores, bid on them at silent auctions at the VIP tailgate and up in the Kerr McGee Club and once a year at this Catholic fund raiser we are invited to in Norman. He is a dentist and the kids love looking at them. Anything to make a kid happy to go to the dentist helps. :)

MamaMia
7/12/2012, 01:00 PM
In other words, the people that earn all the money to buy all the OU game tickets and merchandise don't have a chance to get an autograph.There is nothing wrong with enjoying and collecting autographs but when you buy a ticket to a game or a piece of OU merchandise, that does not entitle you to get free autographs. If you want an autograph, fine...pay for it. After they graduate, the most well known players have signings all over the state. Unless it's some kind of fundraiser, they get paid for it, as so they should.

MsProudSooner
7/12/2012, 04:19 PM

You can have an autograph. You just can't have a free autograph unless you are a kid.

XingTheRubicon
7/12/2012, 04:37 PM
I have a #14 crimson jersey with Josh Heupel's sig on the 1 and Sam Bradford's sig on the 4. It's in the den/manroom where it's going to stay. Got both sigs myself...don't plan on ever going to that "we hate our fans" day ever again.

Tear Down This Wall
7/13/2012, 08:57 AM

This is pretty much where I am. Adults seeking autographs of anyone is, really, pretty pathetic.

I'm 43 years old. When I was a child in the late 70s/early 80s, my dad's company had front row tickets on the third base side of old Arlington Stadium between the visitors dugout and bullpen.

We used to go to the Ranger games a couple of hours early, and my brother and I would get our baseballs autographed. Things were so much different back then. It was kids going down to see their heroes. It was the only way to see them back then.

These days, it's different. You've got every game, home and road, televised. You've got the internet to look up too much information on your favorite players. You've got ESPN and FOX Sports running game highlights for hours of every game. You've got "sports memorabilia" marketers selling stuff.

Athletes now protect themselves from the adults. I feel lucky to have grown up in an era where, as a kid, you could walk up to an athlete, hand him a baseball, and there was no suspicion. It was your chance to see something rare - George Brett in person, or Jim Palmer, or Gorman Thomas. All those guys whose baseball card you had and spent hours looking at.

It's sad that this kind of thing has been killed off by media overkill and the desire to profit off an athlete's name. I applaud the athletic department for making the Sooner Day thing a kids-only affair. Adults really need to kind of grow out of hero worship.

C&CDean
7/13/2012, 09:08 AM
As far as getting autographed stuff...managing the facility where the football team stays before all home games sure had it's perks.

nativesooner
7/13/2012, 11:56 AM
Dear Lord... As much as my kid might like this, it's too much chaos to have a good time at these things. I applaud them making it for kids only, but that won't really stop the true ebayers. Last year a friend of mine went and talked to a guy with 7 kids. He said they were his nieces, nephews, and some of their friends. Right before getting in Demarco's line, the guy told my friend, "yeah, just promise to take them for icecream after and booya!" I'm guessing the kids didn't get to keep their autos. Now, how long before we regurgitate the "sit or stand" or home of the "brave or Sooners" argument?

badger
7/13/2012, 11:59 AM
Dear Lord... As much as my kid might like this, it's too much chaos to have a good time at these things. I applaud them making it for kids only, but that won't really stop the true ebayers. Last year a friend of mine went and talked to a guy with 7 kids. He said they were his nieces, nephews, and some of their friends. Right before getting in Demarco's line, the guy told my friend, "yeah, just promise to take them for icecream after and booya!" I'm guessing the kids didn't get to keep their autos. Now, how long before we regurgitate the "sit or stand" or home of the "brave or Sooners" argument?

If I remember correctly, you stand if the person in front of you does and say "Brave" at the end if you love Bob Stoops, because he asked us all nicely to say "Brave." :)

nativesooner
7/13/2012, 12:03 PM
If I remember correctly, you stand if the person in front of you does and say "Brave" at the end if you love Bob Stoops, because he asked us all nicely to say "Brave." :)

I thought it was stand during time-outs/halftime, and sit during the game!?! And I thought we were supposed to say home of the Brave Sooners now according to Uncle Dave? lol! Damn I'm all mixed up!

badger
7/13/2012, 12:23 PM
I thought it was stand during time-outs/halftime, and sit during the game!?! And I thought we were supposed to say home of the Brave Sooners now according to Uncle Dave? lol! Damn I'm all mixed up!

Whatever you do, don't sing the word "Brave." SHOUT the word "Brave" to cover up those that are shouting the word "Sooners."

If you cling to ending the anthem with "Sooners," sing it perfectly in key so that we can't tell that you're not shouting "Brave."

Is the memo not stating that we stand during time-outs and halftime? Cuz that's the only time I see some people sit, lol

SoonerSpock
7/15/2012, 04:21 AM

To many a child's fantasy in an adult is a little weird. But depriving kids of getting an autograph by line cutting is more than childish.

SoonerSpock
7/15/2012, 04:21 AM

To many a child's fantasy in an adult is a little weird. But depriving kids of getting an autograph by line cutting is more than childish. But some never grow up, including my wife, but that is part of her charm.