PDA

View Full Version : Post your best dry-rub recipe

8timechamps
7/6/2012, 05:26 PM
Looking for a good dry rub recipe for both beef/chicken. I've seen a lot of recipes lately that include coffee. Not sure if I want to go that route or not. I love coffee, but not sure I want to taste it on meat.

Over/Under on "rub" jokes: 5

Turd_Ferguson
7/6/2012, 05:30 PM
Concur on the coffee.

Oh, and a dry rub will not get me very far with the ol' lady...KY, saliva...use whatever ya got.

BetterSoonerThanLater
7/6/2012, 05:36 PM
nuthin' like a good rub on your meat to start the weeknd off right..;)

thats 2

olevetonahill
7/6/2012, 05:53 PM
Never understood the desire for a Dry hump.

Mazeppa
7/6/2012, 10:17 PM
I think the simpler the better. Here's what I use.
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt (adjust to you taste)
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
and if you like a little spice add some red pepper (cayenne)

Turd_Ferguson
7/6/2012, 10:36 PM
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
and if you like a little spice add some red pepper (cayenne)That must be a small piece of meat you're rub'n on...

Tulsa_Fireman
7/6/2012, 10:41 PM
Dry rubs are overrated. I'd like to find the guy that promoted the idea that a 1/2 inch bark of spices on a piece of meat is a good thing and pop him in the nards.

Moisten with oil and worcestershire, season appropriately. Don't dry rub. It may seal the juices in, but so does the oil. And you don't have to worry about chunks of salty rosemary and blackened anus flakes getting all over the place.

olevetonahill
7/6/2012, 10:50 PM
I aint gonna let any of Yall Rub MY meat,

SanJoaquinSooner
7/6/2012, 11:00 PM
Dry rubs are overrated. I'd like to find the guy that promoted the idea that a 1/2 inch bark of spices on a piece of meat is a good thing and pop him in the nards.

Moisten with oil and worcestershire, season appropriately. Don't dry rub. It may seal the juices in, but so does the oil. And you don't have to worry about chunks of salty rosemary and blackened anus flakes getting all over the place.

nothing worse than blackened anus flakes

finster
7/6/2012, 11:07 PM
For brisket (packers trim)I just use coarse sea salt and coarse black pepper. Don't be shy with it and pat it down like R&R in Korea. The crust if you let it smoke long enough will have vegans begging for more.
Chicken,I use a small bowl of powdered garlic and lemon pepper, but you have to slit the skin and push it between the skin and the meat or your wasting your time.
Now my pork rub is a lot closer to mazepa's only more awsomer.

soonerinabilene
7/7/2012, 10:57 AM
I buy Head Country championship seasoning, add 3 tablespoons of paprika, 2 tablespoons of onion powder, 2 tablespoons of garlic powder, and (if doing ribs) 3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar. While the meat is smoking, I spray it with Apple juice. On chicken, I put some squeeze butter on top of it for the last 20 minutes.

cleller
7/7/2012, 12:40 PM
This is all too much.

Brain is straining to connect "dry rub" with "Head Country" with "squeeze my lemon".

olevetonahill
7/7/2012, 02:23 PM
This is all too much.

Brain is straining to connect "dry rub" with "Head Country" with "squeeze my lemon".

Theres something wrong with these guys who rub their own meat
Thats what God Gave us Hookers for.

Oldnslo
7/9/2012, 10:31 AM
My favorite dry rub comes right off the shelf.

John Henry's Nedra D's Hickory Rub. I like it on beef and pork.

8timechamps
7/9/2012, 08:29 PM
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
and if you like a little spice add some red pepper (cayenne)

I used your recipe over the weekend (I had to quadruple the measurements, just because the size of meat I was working with was big...:O ). Worked really well.

On Saturday, I was out with the gf, and she wanted to stop at a local spice shop. When I'm there, I try to find something new to try. They had just gotten a new spice that I couldn't resist. It's Ghost Chili Salt. Basically a Ghost Chili ground into a powder, then mixed with sea salt. Holy ****! I added a little to the dry rub, and while the taste was excellent, the damn stuff almost burned my tongue off.

hornswaggled
7/10/2012, 07:38 PM
"1 tablespoon of smoked paprika"

You won't catch me smoking that stuff.

hornswaggled
7/10/2012, 07:45 PM
Never understood the desire for a Dry hump.

I was once a teenager on her father's couch...

hornswaggled
7/10/2012, 07:59 PM
I agree with finster. If the smoke is right, black pepper, salt and little else is needed. Mesquite makes the best bark. Pecan is next best. Keep the temperature less than 250F.

DenverSooner751
7/10/2012, 09:45 PM
I agree with the simple approach though at times i do like to use a more complex rub (like 3 hands tug better than one, haha).

Dalmation rub of freshly cracked sea salt and fresh ground black pepper with a bit of cayenne thrown in for a little kick. Not too thick, just enough to aid in the bark and to season a bit.

I do pecan and oak, works great on a packer cut brisket.

But as with many things, bbq rub and wood selection are much a thing of preference.

sooneron
7/12/2012, 11:01 PM
I still like Goode's Beef rub for brisket or beef ribs-
2 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon ground savory
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt, to taste

It's way good on beef ribs on the smoker!
Flipping awesome and I do know a thing or two bout BBQ!

Mazeppa
7/13/2012, 08:34 PM
I used your recipe over the weekend (I had to quadruple the measurements, just because the size of meat I was working with was big...:O ). Worked really well.

On Saturday, I was out with the gf, and she wanted to stop at a local spice shop. When I'm there, I try to find something new to try. They had just gotten a new spice that I couldn't resist. It's Ghost Chili Salt. Basically a Ghost Chili ground into a powder, then mixed with sea salt. Holy ****! I added a little to the dry rub, and while the taste was excellent, the damn stuff almost burned my tongue off.

Glad it worked for you.

achiro
7/16/2012, 08:55 AM
GrubRub. Get it online or at Academy. Tastes great and a heck of a lot easier than mixing up your own.

sooneron
7/17/2012, 08:11 AM
Yeah pouring salt, brown sugar, pepper etc into a bowl is a real chore! :rolleyes:

KantoSooner
7/17/2012, 09:36 AM
I like different ones on different meats. Here's one I used last week on flank steak:

Paprika
Garlic
Cayenne Pepper
Black Pepper
Cinnamon
Oregano

Adjust the ratios to whatever seems right.

Sear about 2-3 minutes per side, then put 'em up on the rack to sweat for ten minutes or so per side and let 'em rest stacked in a pan for another ten. Cook a mess of them. They'll last frozen for over a year.

achiro
7/17/2012, 11:07 AM
I still like Goode's Beef rub for brisket or beef ribs-
2 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon ground savory
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt, to taste

It's way good on beef ribs on the smoker!
Flipping awesome and I do know a thing or two bout BBQ!

Yeah pouring salt, brown sugar, pepper etc into a bowl is a real chore! :rolleyes:

Don't roll your eyes at me.
1. I don't keep have the crap you have listed in my kitchen.
2. While you are still looking for a measuring spoon, I've already added the rub to whatever I'm prepping and am on to something else.

sooneron
7/17/2012, 11:17 AM
And I've tweaked different rubs to actually have different tastes. It's call experimenting some people find that interesting. If you don't have most of what is listed, your meals are boring.

achiro
7/17/2012, 12:09 PM
And I've tweaked different rubs to actually have different tastes. It's call experimenting some people find that interesting. If you don't have most of what is listed, your meals are boring.

Are you seriously butt hurt and arguing with me over this? There are some great premade rubs, grub rub is one I really like so I recommended it. If you like taking the time to mix your own, fine, but don't make it sound like its as easy as throwing a little salt and pepper in a bowl. There is some effort involved to make your own from scratch, if you don't have the time or desire to mess with it, pre-mixed is a great option.

sooneron
7/17/2012, 03:56 PM
A) There are good pre-made rubs out there. True enough I occasionally use HC when I'm in a hurry or don't have anything made
B) Good chefs like to improvise and experiment
C) It really isn't that hard to measure spices
D)I'm not "butt hurt" as you put it