PDA

View Full Version : OSU Fan encounter...kinda funny?

BermudaSooner
7/5/2012, 11:12 AM
So there I was...the end of a long multi-leg flight from Munich back to OKC through Chicago Ohare, proudly sporting my crimson and cream OU golf shirt. I notice as I am getting situated in my seat for the last leg, a 2 hour flight from ORD to OKC, that Brandon Weeden is getting on the plane. He is chatting up some girl (GF maybe?) about someone coming out to a pre-season game or whatever. I see him later as we get off the plane in OKC and wait for our gate checked bags.

I make my way to the elevator to go up to the parking garage, and there is a 40ish year old woman and what I assume is her father waiting for the elevator as well. Our conversation goes something like this:

40 YO chick: "Heh, OU fan huh? We beat you! OSU! Yea!"

Me: "Yep, you did."

40 YO chick "Yea, OSU!"

Me: "Were you on the Chicago flight. Brandon Weeden was on the plane."

40 YO chick "Huh? I don't know who that is."

Me: "Ummm. He was your quarterback...for at least the last 2 or 3 years...just got drafted...red hair, kinda goofy looking...ring any bells?"

40 YO chick "Oh, well, I don't really know any of the players. I just like OSU. Yeah, go OSU!!!"

40 YO chick's dad "Yea, he was the QB. Probably should know at least the QB if you are going to be a fan."

badger
7/5/2012, 11:19 AM
Poke happens. :stunned:

Curly Bill
7/5/2012, 11:21 AM
LOL

BigTip
7/5/2012, 11:28 AM
Was she blonde?

badger
7/5/2012, 11:29 AM
An OSU grad friend once said "You know how OSU and OU fans are alike?" and I was like "Both applied to OU?" She thought it was funny, she was a cool Poke. :)

SouthFortySooner
7/5/2012, 11:34 AM
Ya know yer crackin the lid on the ole, 'what does it take to be a real fan' can!

Curly Bill
7/5/2012, 11:36 AM
An OSU grad friend once said "You know how OSU and OU fans are alike?" and I was like "Both applied to OU?" She thought it was funny, she was a cool Poke. :)

You know someone is gonna make a joke outta this right? ;)

badger
7/5/2012, 11:37 AM
Ya know yer crackin the lid on the ole, 'what does it take to be a real fan' can!

It's not about being a "real fan," it's earning the right to taunt. If you cannot name the quarterback that led OSU to victory that gloriously awful day (it really was - 100 percent chance of rain and all) then you don't have a right to mock Sooners about it! [hairGel]

The fact that I am aware that BRANDON WEEDEN ONCE FUMBLED IN VICTORY FORMATION means that I am allowed to taunt Pokes about it. ;)

PrideMom
7/5/2012, 11:43 AM
Very typical OSU fan(?). Most are just anti-OU people, that know nothing about OSU, it is just the other school....I have asked several so-called OSU fans the words to their fight song "Ride, Ride, Ride" and none have ever been able to tell me. I even asked an ex-Pistol Pete, and he didn't know.

Other than their golf and wrestling programs, what do they have? Wannabes.......

Memtig14
7/5/2012, 11:59 AM
Poke happens.

Laughed out loud at that.

NMSooner'80
7/5/2012, 02:02 PM
I wasn't a witness to this, but I heard a rumor once that the '81 Pokes lost big at home to Nebraska, but their fans didn't even really care. That was the same day that OU lost on the last play of the game to USC out in LA. As long as OU had a gut-wrenching loss to deal with, they could easily accept a 54-7 home loss without hesitation.

badger
7/5/2012, 02:11 PM
Meh, I'd believe it. Remember when the Pokes ended up on the SI cover after their Georgia home win? They got the cover cuz we lost (Sammie's shoulder for pretty much the entire season on a freak hit) to BYU at Jerryworld on the same day. And Pokes enjoyed their win even more cuz of it.

It is what it is. I have tried to attempt to hate the Pokes like a rival on here, but I really just don't care.

Phil
7/5/2012, 03:57 PM
Not that I wasted my time counting, but I believe their fight song may have even fewer words (not counting repeats) than ours does.

badger
7/5/2012, 04:14 PM
Not that I wasted my time counting, but I believe their fight song may have even fewer words (not counting repeats) than ours does.

"Ride 'Em Cowboys" Lyrics

Ride, ride, ride, ride, (1)
Ride'em (2) Cowboys, (3)
Right (4)down (5)the (6) field! (7)
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! (8)
Fight'em Cowboys, and (9)never (10) yield! (11)
Ride, ride, ride, ride,
Ride on, Cowboys, to (12) victory; (13)
Cross (14) (opponent)s (15) goal; (16)
Then (17) we'll (18) sing (19) 'O-kla-homa (20) State!' (21)

Boomer (1)Sooner (2), Boomer Sooner
Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner
Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner
Boomer Sooner, OK (3) U (4)!

Oklahoma (5), Oklahoma
Oklahoma, Oklahoma
Oklahoma, Oklahoma
Oklahoma, OK U!

I'm (6) a (7) Sooner (8) born (9) and (10) Sooner bred (11)
and when (12) I (13) die (14), I'll (15)be (16)Sooner dead (17)
Rah (18)Oklahoma (19), Rah Oklahoma
Rah Oklahoma, OK U!

Poke edges OU, 21-19 unless I counted wrong :stunned:

MamaMia
7/5/2012, 04:39 PM
Thats kind of stuff is unavoidable. You would think with all the airport security though, that you would be safe there. ;)

cleller
7/5/2012, 04:43 PM
My standard comeback: "Wanna put some cash on this year's game?"

Silencio.

Salt City Sooner
7/5/2012, 04:52 PM
I wasn't a witness to this, but I heard a rumor once that the '81 Pokes lost big at home to Nebraska, but their fans didn't even really care. That was the same day that OU lost on the last play of the game to USC out in LA. As long as OU had a gut-wrenching loss to deal with, they could easily accept a 54-7 home loss without hesitation.
This is exactly why one day a year (UT-OSU) it's hook 'em horns for me. Obviously, living in Kansas, I don't have the biggest sample size to deal with, but I'd say over the years I've had conversations with around 150-200 OSU "fans" up here. NOT A SINGLE ONE has been able to look me in the eye & deny that they'd consider it a good day if both OU & OSU lost. Not one. At least UT fans have higher aspirations than being the university of I hate OU, & I can at least respect that. At UT, a 4 win season with a win over OU gets you fired. At OSU, a 4 win season with a win over OU gets the entire senior class medallions.

8timechamps
7/5/2012, 05:11 PM
This is exactly why one day a year (UT-OSU) it's hook 'em horns for me. Obviously, living in Kansas, I don't have the biggest sample size to deal with, but I'd say over the years I've had conversations with around 150-200 OSU "fans" up here. NOT A SINGLE ONE has been able to look me in the eye & deny that they'd consider it a good day if both OU & OSU lost. Not one. At least UT fans have higher aspirations than being the university of I hate OU, & I can at least respect that. At UT, a 4 win season with a win over OU gets you fired. At OSU, a 4 win season with a win over OU gets the entire senior class medallions.

I know several Texas fans that reserve their hate for the RRR, and otherwise pull for OU in OOC games. I can't say I know any pokes that do that. That's the definition of "having been there before".

goingoneight
7/5/2012, 06:22 PM
What does an OSU fan do after his team wins the National Championship?

Turns off his playstation and goes to bed.

Mazeppa
7/5/2012, 08:45 PM
I bet she could not tell you when osu's last victory against OU was, or how many years it has been. She probably wasn't even a fan when they last beat OU.

Curly Bill
7/5/2012, 09:05 PM
I bet she was a Democrat! ;)

I know this isn't the Obammy board, I'm sorry.

BoulderSooner79
7/5/2012, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure what I think about her - you didn't say whether she was hot or not. (And yes, 40 can be very hot).

LVSOONER15
7/5/2012, 11:04 PM
Stupid poke.

picasso
7/5/2012, 11:14 PM
They have to get their digs in because that **** rarely happens in a person's lifetime.

7/6/2012, 01:11 AM

For whatever reason, their fight song makes me crave cotton candy.

SoonerDood
7/6/2012, 10:40 AM
The University of I-Hate-OU

soonerboy_odanorth
7/6/2012, 11:01 AM
For whatever reason, their fight song makes me crave cotton candy.

Funny... I was going to go for "makes me want to watch Laurel and Hardy movies"...

goingoneight
7/6/2012, 11:47 AM
I honestly don't know their fight song.

badger
7/6/2012, 12:25 PM
I bet she could not tell you when osu's last victory against OU was, or how many years it has been. She probably wasn't even a fan when they last beat OU.

http://eddiedeguzman.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/cartoon-bang-head-jpg.gif
Why... receivers... why... injuries...why... two road games in consecutive years... why... December night game... why... why... WHY DID YOU REMIND ME HOW SHORT IT HAS BEEN GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NMSooner'80
7/6/2012, 01:36 PM

I used to work with a few OSU grads in Edmond back in the day. They readily admitted they rather go 1-10 and beat OU than go 10-1 and losing to OU. At least some of them actually figured out that OU grads weren't the demon-seeds they'd been brainwashed into believing during their Poke State days.

I've told this story before, on about every OU board, so I'll keep it brief. Back in high school, I invited to ride up with a friend, who wasn't a Poke but whose sister was, for an OSU-Colorado game in '74. They got a bunch of tickets, so we went up for the day, and OU was also on the road that day. Everything about that campus was all about hating OU, and the signs that lined the walls of Lewis Field were all about gloating that OU wasn't going to be on TV that day. I think even their team got caught up in that absurd "let's rag on OU today and not worry about Colorado" thinking, and they got worked by the underdogs from Boulder. I sat their quietly, loving every minute of their embarrassing home loss on regional TV.

BermudaSooner
7/6/2012, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure what I think about her - you didn't say whether she was hot or not. (And yes, 40 can be very hot).

not hot

8timechamps
7/6/2012, 02:37 PM
I honestly don't know their fight song.

Just find the nearest carnival, then stand by the carousel.

BermudaSooner
7/6/2012, 02:39 PM
Just find the nearest carnival, then stand by the carousel.

now that is funny

BoulderSooner79
7/6/2012, 03:40 PM
not hot

No "hot" pass, eh? Than I agree with what everyone has said :)

oSuJeff1997
7/9/2012, 01:51 PM
I used to work with a few OSU grads in Edmond back in the day. They readily admitted they rather go 1-10 and beat OU than go 10-1 and losing to OU.

This is hilarious.

I've been an OSU fan since I was in my teens. I have two degrees from OSU and literally know hundreds of OSU fans and alumni combined.

In ~20 years, I've never --- NOT ONCE --- heard any kind of sentiment from any OSU fan or alum that they would "rather go 1-10 and beat OU than go 10-1 and lose to OU."

Yet I see OU fans make this claim constantly on Internet message boards.

I guess there are really two possibilities:

In my ~20 years associating with hundreds of OSU fans and alumni, I've somehow never come across this particular breed of fan.
OU fans make it up and/or exaggerate these exchanges to make themselves feel superior.

mainline13
7/10/2012, 06:55 PM
This is hilarious.

I've been an OSU fan since I was in my teens. I have two degrees from OSU and literally know hundreds of OSU fans and alumni combined.

In ~20 years, I've never --- NOT ONCE --- heard any kind of sentiment from any OSU fan or alum that they would "rather go 1-10 and beat OU than go 10-1 and lose to OU."

In my ~20 years associating with hundreds of OSU fans and alumni, I've somehow never come across this particular breed of fan.
OU fans make it up and/or exaggerate these exchanges to make themselves feel superior.

First, I must point out that OU fans do not have to go out of their way to feel superior. To just about anyone.

Second, since you are yourself an OSU fan, you don't have to sit through the interminable ragging, once every decade or two, and then finally, in exasperation, pointedly ASK the MFs that question. That's why you never get that answer.

8timechamps
7/10/2012, 08:07 PM
First, I must point out that OU fans do not have to go out of their way to feel superior. To just about anyone.

Second, since you are yourself an OSU fan, you don't have to sit through the interminable ragging, once every decade or two, and then finally, in exasperation, pointedly ASK the MFs that question. That's why you never get that answer.

Beat me to it.

OSU fans need to hurry up and get their jabs in, the season is growing near and thus a return to reality for them.

Dio
7/10/2012, 10:03 PM
This is hilarious.

20 years? What is that, like 4 wins?

ouflak
7/11/2012, 03:08 AM
That would be hard to want only one win more than having any of the other wins. Especially considering how rarely those OU wins come for them. I would definitely think that few of them would get tired of that disappointment and start rooting for things like breaking even in the conference or winning all of the OOC matchups. Constantly wanting a victory in OU would be frustrating exercise in futility.

Curly Bill
7/11/2012, 07:47 AM
This is hilarious.

You kinda had me going along with ya until that last statement. Don't overplay your cards next time.

TFSooner
7/11/2012, 12:40 PM
This is hilarious.

Jeff, you need to listen to AM 1430 more when Don King is on, which is rare these days. He (an OSU fan) readily admits that this is the mentality of a lot of OSU fans he knows.

MyT Oklahoma
7/11/2012, 10:57 PM
Just one more reason I do not envy those of you who reside in the great state of Oklahoma for having to witness such conversations first hand.

P.S. Classic!