PDA

View Full Version : Steve Nash to the Lakers

Salt City Sooner
7/4/2012, 08:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8130840/sources-steve-nash-headed-los-angeles-lakers-sign-trade-deal

Curly Bill
7/5/2012, 10:36 AM
Makes em better, but still not a legit threat to the Thunder if ya ask me.

Eielson
7/5/2012, 01:08 PM
Makes em better, but still not a legit threat to the Thunder if ya ask me.

With Nash instead of Sessions, the Lakers would have beaten OKC last year. Having said that, the Lakers are now even older. The Lakers aren't done yet, though. If Kupchak brings in Howard and Turkoglu for Bynum and MWP, and then signs Hill for the vet min and Rashard Lewis for the MMLE, then advantage Lakers.

Scott D
7/5/2012, 08:46 PM
Sessions is probably a better defender than Nash, at his age Nash couldn't guard a walker or a cane much less a pylon.

Curly Bill
7/5/2012, 08:54 PM
Sessions is probably a better defender than Nash, at his age Nash couldn't guard a walker or a cane much less a pylon.

You're a better defender than Nash! You were a better defender than Nash 5 or 10 years ago when he was still young.

Eielson
7/5/2012, 10:20 PM

Sessions was a pretty poor defender. Not only that, but he contributed very little offensively in the playoffs, so he hardly even made Lawson or Westbrook work. The way I see it, just making Westbrook (or any other point guard) work on the defensive side is going to make up for most, if not all, of the gap between Sessions and Nash's defense. Then of course, you have the unfathomable increase on the offensive end.

IBleedCrimson
7/6/2012, 03:45 AM
As Eielson said, this makes the old lakers even older. They looked very tired in those 4th quarter losses to the Thunder.

I think the introduction of a true distributor and a good shooter will make bynum and gasol (if they dont get traded) much more efficient. What will be interesting is how kobe responds to this dynamic. He'll get ~5 more open jumpshots per game, but won't have "sole" control of the offense out of the high wing (which he thrives on). Nash is most effective when executing the high pick-and-roll then driving the lane and feeding open shooters. How they integrate him within kobe's team will be espn fodder throughout the NBA year.

ouleaf
7/6/2012, 08:50 AM
As Eielson said, this makes the old lakers even older. They looked very tired in those 4th quarter losses to the Thunder.

I think the introduction of a true distributor and a good shooter will make bynum and gasol (if they dont get traded) much more efficient. What will be interesting is how kobe responds to this dynamic. He'll get ~5 more open jumpshots per game, but won't have "sole" control of the offense out of the high wing (which he thrives on). Nash is most effective when executing the high pick-and-roll then driving the lane and feeding open shooters. How they integrate him within kobe's team will be espn fodder throughout the NBA year.

Good points here. I think Kobe will ultimately trust Nash to run the floor. Nash needs the ball in his hands to be at his most effective. And in instances where the play drawn up isn't executed and it gets late into the shot clock, Nash is another one of those guys that can create his own. They wouldn't have to rely soley on Kobe having to force up a bad shot (notice last year his shooting percentage was the worst its been in about 7 years at 43%).

It's a good move overall and made possible by the trade exception from the Mavs acquiring Lamar Odom last year (yeah, that whiny, miserable, poor excuse for an NBA player). Hope he goes to the Clippers and continues to just spare everyone to death over there.

Eielson
7/6/2012, 11:01 AM
Kobe knows basketball. He knew what he was doing when he told Nash to come to LA. It's not like Kobe could have mistaken him for a defensive stopper. He won't win a scoring title, but he doesn't care. He could have easily won one this year if he wanted to, but he chose to go for the ring. Come playoff time, Kobe will have seen that what Nash does works (as if he hasn't already seen it done to him a million times), and this will free up Kobe to be the elite defender he once was before he devoted all his energy to scoring.

Scott D
7/6/2012, 02:44 PM
You're a better defender than Nash! You were a better defender than Nash 5 or 10 years ago when he was still young.

not to mention I'm older than Nash. :D

Eielson
7/6/2012, 04:07 PM
Pau is better than Marc.

Scott D
7/7/2012, 07:36 PM
Gasol means overrated in Portugese.