PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma is #3!

Jacie
7/3/2012, 10:13 PM
That is, third best on the list of states to retire to, according to results of a survey published by the AARP. The state of Texas came in at #1. Factors included COLA, crime statistics, climate.

New York was something like third from the bottom of the list so in a few years, perhaps i can convince the wifey to give my home state a try if i can convince her we will live in a house with a storm shelter capable of surviving the worst tornado imaginable (she is scared to death of them as are other people i know who have never been anywhere near Tornado Alley). Doesn't matter that in 30 years there i never saw a tornado even after going out looking for them. The extreme summer heat and lousy winters in Oklahoma still bother her, however, unlike here where we experience all four seasons and all of them except winter being moderate temperature-wise.

Lott's Bandana
7/4/2012, 09:38 AM
The weather is what usually keeps OK from most of these lists. If you want it, we got it.

However, I have lived all over this country and I always found myself missing the....excitement?

Last summer being an exception, and this summer ain't starting out so well.

badger
7/4/2012, 10:16 AM
I am surprised more Oklahoma homes don't have storm shelters, but we don't yet so I'm part of the problem, heh.

After living years in Wisconsin of never getting to truly experience a sunny, hot summer after a cold, snowy winter, I can appreciate why people like to retire in the South. If you have an A/C unit, you are set.

We are also set in cast the A/C isn't working, as we have battery powered fans after the last time the power went out, heh.

pphilfran
7/4/2012, 10:58 AM
If I ever get a storm shelter I want it to have a plexiglass roof so I see the sob coming over the top....

olevetonahill
7/4/2012, 11:51 AM
Bout the only thing i dont like about Oklahoma is the friggin hot as hell summers
Dont have a cellar dont plan on gettin one, wouldnt get in the dayum thing if i had one

Chuck Bao
7/4/2012, 12:39 PM
Those are some brave words, Olevet. A couple years ago, the finger of God touched down at my brother's meadow and wiped out a friggin' metal, in-the-ground, cow pen and chute. You wouldn't think that a metal lot would have much wind resistance, but I guess it does. The whole place was scoured clean. The barn was completely gone. By completely, I mean that no trace of it was left or ever found. No neighbor told us that they have any part of it. I guess it could have sailed to Oz.

You can cheaply build you a little fraidy hole on your hill. You may never need to use it, but you never know for sure.

8timechamps
7/4/2012, 12:46 PM
Bout the only thing i dont like about Oklahoma is the friggin hot as hell summers
Dont have a cellar dont plan on gettin one, wouldnt get in the dayum thing if i had one

Well, that seems to be the case with every place in the country anymore. I moved to Colorado almost 20 years ago, and part of the lure was the mild summers. I think the first two summers I lived here, they were mild. Since then, it's been hot just like everywhere else. The big difference is that once the sun goes down, it does cool off.

The biggest thing I miss about Oklahoma (other than the people) is the storms. We rarely get a real thunderstorm that lasts longer than 20 minutes. I don't miss the tornadoes, but I miss the rain and rolling thunder.

olevetonahill
7/4/2012, 12:52 PM
Heh, was talkin to my sister one night, she asked me where I would go if a nader came, I answered just where ever that thing takes me,

Been thru 2 of em survived both, may not be so lucky next time but what the hell Ive lived a good life

Chuck Bao
7/4/2012, 01:27 PM
Heh, was talkin to my sister one night, she asked me where I would go if a nader came, I answered just where ever that thing takes me,

Been thru 2 of em survived both, may not be so lucky next time but what the hell Ive lived a good life

Alright, I know better than to talk about you. But what about knothead, biznatcho, boomer? They need a fraidy hole. And, who would take care of them if something happened to you?

olevetonahill
7/4/2012, 01:32 PM
Alright, I know better than to talk about you. But what about knothead, biznatcho, boomer? They need a fraidy hole. And, who would take care of them if something happened to you?
You :cheerful:

Chuck Bao
7/4/2012, 01:41 PM
You :cheerful:

Now, that's not fair. You bloody know that I would. That doesn't give you an out in this argument, at all. FAIL!

olevetonahill
7/4/2012, 01:42 PM
Now, that's not fair. You bloody know that I would. That doesn't give you an out in this argument, at all. FAIL!
:sneakiness:

olevetonahill
7/4/2012, 01:44 PM
Oh and ya forgot Firecracker :satellite:

Chuck Bao
7/4/2012, 02:07 PM
Oh and ya forgot Firecracker :satellite:

No I didn't forget her. I just didn't remember her name because you normally don't refer to her as Firecracker. Dood, we wouldn't be talking about this if you would just build that gosh darn fraidy hole. You got the land and space. I'm pretty adept with a backhoe. You want me to come there and dig you a hole?

olevetonahill
7/4/2012, 03:29 PM
No I didn't forget her. I just didn't remember her name because you normally don't refer to her as Firecracker. Dood, we wouldn't be talking about this if you would just build that gosh darn fraidy hole. You got the land and space. I'm pretty adept with a backhoe. You want me to come there and dig you a hole?

Sure, While yer at it concrete it in and put on a door .
Heh, I call her Firecracker in Public. Call her ****** in private :sneakiness:

Jacie
7/4/2012, 08:52 PM
After living years in Wisconsin of never getting to truly experience a sunny, hot summer after a cold, snowy winter, I can appreciate why people like to retire in the South. If you have an A/C unit, you are set.

Just so you know, Wisconsin was in the bottom 10 states to retire to as well . . .

delhalew
7/5/2012, 08:18 AM
I feel like I ought to build a shelter for the kids. I just haven't wanted to unass the money. I keep saying "before next spring". Ehh.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/7/2012, 09:02 PM
Out here we just have haboobs and scorching temps for months on end. Can't imagine this place without A/C. But we do have 6-7 months of supernice weather. Nov-May

Curly Bill
7/8/2012, 12:09 AM
Count me in as another that doesn't want a cellar and wouldn't get in one if I had it.

BajaOklahoma
7/8/2012, 02:44 PM
We have a neighbor across the road at the lake (bad news). The good news is they built a walk-in fraidy hole/room and welcomes us to use it. I'm not sure if they realize the offer has to include the dogs and cats.
We are looking at one of the one dug into the garage floor. I just have to check the steps and see if the dogs can make it down the steps.
We had a fraidy hole in the backyard when I was growing up. Full of snakes. I would never use it.

olevetonahill
7/8/2012, 03:00 PM
If yer skeered enough to hit the Hole ya dont worry about the dogs being able to walk down the steps
Ya pick em up and chunk em down thos babys while yer scramblin in right behind em

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/8/2012, 04:19 PM
We have a neighbor across the road at the lake (bad news). The good news is they built a walk-in fraidy hole/room and welcomes us to use it. I'm not sure if they realize the offer has to include the dogs and cats.
We are looking at one of the one dug into the garage floor. I just have to check the steps and see if the dogs can make it down the steps.
Somebody might toss the animals if it gets too crowded, or too stinky.

tulsaoilerfan
7/8/2012, 08:11 PM
Who the hell would want to retire here? it's too damn hot in the summer to enjoy anything lol