PDA

View Full Version : Name that Town

olevetonahill
7/3/2012, 06:06 PM
If ya could live anywhere in the world ya wanted , where would it be and why?
No Kids, and Ya dont have to work.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/3/2012, 07:48 PM
It would depend on wealth/income. I'd love to live in NYC or San Francisco if I were wealthy or had a very high income. I wouldn't want to live in either place with my current income. Lots of other west coast cities I'd enjoy between San Diego and San Francisco.

I haven't been to enough countries outside the U.S. to make an international decision.

If OU would award me a tenured professorship, I'd take Norman.

rock on sooner
7/3/2012, 07:49 PM
No Name, USA. 20 degree swing morning to night, all four
seasons. Beach within walking distance, beer at 34 degrees
at ALL times. Fertile soil for my garden and my lovely wife
of nearly 35 years by my side.

Not sure where that is but it is obvious why.

Yeh, Vet, ain't the right answer but it IS the answer.:cheerful:

Tiptonsooner
7/3/2012, 07:52 PM
San Miguel, MX

Chuck Bao
7/3/2012, 08:00 PM
6 months in Bangkok and 6 months in Madill.

olevetonahill
7/3/2012, 08:27 PM

Most of that sounds good, But dont think I want yer wife :watermelon:

GDC
7/3/2012, 08:34 PM
Split time between a city like New York, a farm near a small town, and someplace exotic with a beach.

olevetonahill
7/3/2012, 08:39 PM
Split time between a city like New York, a farm near a small town, and someplace exotic with a beach.
NYC is not even close for me.

Ive often wanted to move to the Islands somewhere

Turd_Ferguson
7/3/2012, 08:43 PM
Ive often wanted to move to the Islands somewhereYou'll need to make sure it's a nudist island, or you'll be mov'n to the state pen...:D

olevetonahill
7/3/2012, 08:48 PM
You'll need to make sure it's a nudist island, or you'll be mov'n to the state pen...:D

Yer right, I almost missed that lil detail.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/3/2012, 10:33 PM
Two choices.

Rudesheim am Rhein, Hesse, or Marktheidenfeld, Bavaria. In a heartbeat.

yermom
7/4/2012, 03:58 AM

i'm somewhat torn like this as well

OK somewhere in the fall though

SicEmBaylor
7/4/2012, 05:08 AM
Waco.

diverdog
7/4/2012, 05:40 AM
Apartment in Paris and a ranch in Patagonia. I would still have a home in the US. Somewhere like Bar Harbor Maine or Jackson Hole Wyoming.

Then again part of me says f*** it and I would move to New Zealand.

cleller
7/4/2012, 08:40 AM
Half the time right here, the other half near Natchez MS.

Lott's Bandana
7/4/2012, 09:36 AM

This is Santa Cruz, CA.

Just thought I'd share.

7/4/2012, 02:07 PM
Waco.

That may be the funniest thing I have ever read on soonerfans.

SicEmBaylor
7/4/2012, 02:11 PM
Apartment in Paris and a ranch in Patagonia. I would still have a home in the US. Somewhere like Bar Harbor Maine or Jackson Hole Wyoming.

Then again part of me says f*** it and I would move to New Zealand.
I hate Paris with the passion of a billion burning quasars.

SicEmBaylor
7/4/2012, 02:12 PM

I love Waco. Big town with a small town atmosphere (if you don't count the plethora of 'messicans). I can get season tickets to the Bears....it's centrally located halfway between Dallas and Austin with Houston only 3 hours away. Count me in.

7/4/2012, 02:14 PM
I'm laughing even harder.

Add the "home of liquid manure" and I will hire you for my next party.

Chuck Bao
7/4/2012, 02:19 PM

Okay, I'm a big Baylor fan and alumni and I find that really funny too! I think that he's thinking about all the rich Dallas and Houston co-eds attending Baylor. Maybe someday our Sic'em will graduate.

rock on sooner
7/4/2012, 02:21 PM

That's okay, Vet. She said the feeling's mutual.:cheerful:

rock on sooner
7/4/2012, 02:22 PM
This is Santa Cruz, CA.

Just thought I'd share.

Cali's gonna fall into the ocean in the "big One" so no, thanks.

SicEmBaylor
7/4/2012, 02:27 PM
I'm laughing even harder.

Add the "home of skittles" and I will hire you for my next party.
fify

SicEmBaylor
7/4/2012, 02:28 PM
Okay, I'm a big Baylor fan and alumni and I find that really funny too! I think that he's thinking about all the rich Dallas and Houston co-eds attending Baylor. Maybe someday our Sic'em will graduate.
Everyone hates Waco. Most Baylor people detest Waco. I love the place....always have. Hell, I spent a large chunk of my time living in Bellmead and I still love Waco.

7/4/2012, 02:32 PM
No, liquid manure is your fame.

7/4/2012, 02:34 PM
Who knew chuck was a bear?

Oh... Never mind.

olevetonahill
7/4/2012, 03:21 PM
That's okay, Vet. She said the feeling's mutual.:cheerful:
That bitch :kiwi-fruit:

rock on sooner
7/4/2012, 04:30 PM
That bitch :kiwi-fruit:

LMFAO!:cheerful:

olevetonahill
7/4/2012, 04:41 PM
LMFAO!:cheerful:
Give her a Hug fer me. Shes gotta be special . I couldnt get one to hang around more 15 years

Salt City Sooner
7/4/2012, 07:42 PM
May- September: Soldotna, Alaska

October- April: waayyy south of Soldotna, Alaska

diverdog
7/4/2012, 07:45 PM

Paris or Waco.......? Really? Are you that screwed up?

SanJoaquinSooner
7/4/2012, 08:37 PM
This is Santa Cruz, CA.

Just thought I'd share.

That be where my son starts college this fall.

SicEmBaylor
7/4/2012, 08:49 PM
Paris or Waco.......? Really? Are you that screwed up?
Both are **** holes but at least Waco is a Texan **** hole.

rock on sooner
7/4/2012, 09:03 PM
Give her a Hug fer me. Shes gotta be special . I couldnt get one to hang around more 15 years

Don't get any more special, fer sure. You two would get along
great. Can't get her to go to OK, tho, bad in-law memories
from a long time ago (started at our wedding reception, go
figger!)

Jacie
7/4/2012, 09:09 PM
Hoyt Axton called it The Cultural Center of the Universe . . . Norman, OK, that little green spot on the prairie is where I would live.

Runner-up, San Marcos, TX

Second runner-up, Lake City, CO.

yermom
7/4/2012, 10:27 PM

*smh*

SoonerBread
7/5/2012, 07:09 AM

:texan:

marfacowboy
7/5/2012, 07:34 AM
Hoyt Axton called it The Cultural Center of the Universe . . . Norman, OK, that little green spot on the prairie is where I would live.

Hoyt Axton...Okie legend.

marfacowboy
7/5/2012, 07:42 AM
Well, I'd have to say my perfect spot is not anywhere near a town. I have a hideaway not far from Kenton (unincorporated) that's in the middle of nowhere, just the way I like it. Quiet and cheap. Good for writing (my part time occupation) and riding.
I've always been fascinated by Marathon, Texas, which is not far from another favorite, Marfa, Texas, and sits at just over 4000 feet of elevation, slightly north of Big Bend. You get the remote life, but you're also close to a really interesting cultural center, a National Park and within a few hour drive of El Paso, so you can get to a large medical center if needed.
I really like Ridgway, Colorado. Population was under 1000, and it's surrounded by some of the most beautiful country on earth. You just have to be ready to deal with a few feet of snow in the winters.

KantoSooner
7/5/2012, 09:05 AM
Skiathos, Greece. SoCal-like climate with winters just cold enough for a fireplace. Island with the same population 5,000 +/- and same economy (fishing, olives, wine grapes) that it's had for 2,500 years. Water as clear as gin. Most of the windows just have shutters, no need for glass panes.

BigJerm7
7/5/2012, 10:19 AM
Key West, FL

Mazeppa
7/5/2012, 08:55 PM
Key West, FL

ding ding we have a winner. I'm with you, well not actually "with you" but that's where I'll be some day.

BigTip
7/5/2012, 09:32 PM
ding ding we have a winner. I'm with you, well not actually "with you" .

NTTAWWT.

And there is a lot of "that" in Key West, yes?

BigJerm7
7/6/2012, 07:32 AM
ding ding we have a winner. I'm with you, well not actually "with you" but that's where I'll be some day.

Place is awesome. Not too hot, not too cold, lots of history, great atmosphere, beaches, fishing, far enough away from everyone else, but close enough.

marfacowboy
7/6/2012, 08:31 AM
Skiathos, Greece. SoCal-like climate with winters just cold enough for a fireplace. Island with the same population 5,000 +/- and same economy (fishing, olives, wine grapes) that it's had for 2,500 years. Water as clear as gin. Most of the windows just have shutters, no need for glass panes.

I've never had any desire to live outside of the United States. This sounds like a nice place to visit, but I really don't believe any place in the world has what we have in the U.S. Plus, I like having four seasons. I was born and raised in Memphis, and I can say without any hesitation that the best water in the world is there.

KantoSooner
7/6/2012, 09:09 AM
It's the vibe. I've spent most of my life outside the US, so I'm kind of uised to being 'the weird foreigner'. (Which has its down side, but also there are those women who just HAVE to have a little strange before they settle down, get married and go to sleep.)
And, it's kind of fun when the doctor involves you in the diagnosis. "Hell, I don't know, what do you think it is? Really? And you say Vicodin is good for that? Well, let's give it a whirl." Or when the cops confide in you regarding tourists because, hey, you're an okay foreigner. And there is something that fills my heart with joy to spend time sitting in a taverna wth a coffee and an ouzo at 11 in the morning, getting slowly slammed, and being utterly alone.
But you do have to abandon some of the modern conveniences.

7/6/2012, 11:22 PM
Waco.

SoonerorLater
7/7/2012, 04:15 PM
6 months in Bangkok and 6 months in Madill.

Are you serious? How can you even think of spending half each year in some 3rd World Hellhole where people will slit your throat for a dime? I'm not crazy about Bangkok either.

SicEmBaylor
7/7/2012, 04:16 PM
Waco.
Jerusalem-on-the-Brazos. Damned straight.

REMEMBER THE ALICO!

Mazeppa
7/7/2012, 10:13 PM
Place is awesome. Not too hot, not too cold, lots of history, great atmosphere, beaches, fishing, far enough away from everyone else, but close enough.

I was there in 2000 on a work related trip, I wish I had never left.

KantoSooner
7/9/2012, 08:56 AM
Are you serious? How can you even think of spending half each year in some 3rd World Hellhole where people will slit your throat for a dime? I'm not crazy about Bangkok either.

I'd prefer rural Thailand, but Bangkok is an awesome city. Great food, lots to do, 24/7 sanuk.

Lott's Bandana
7/9/2012, 04:57 PM
That be where my son starts college this fall.

I have a Banana Slugs hoodie. Couldn't resist.

I understand they have actually been awarding grades for some time now.

Damn beautiful place, that. And not as money-centric as Marin, which would have been my second choice.

TUSooner
7/10/2012, 03:38 PM

I don't know what's sadder, loving Waco or hating Paris. Well, either way, you deserve the one, and the other won't miss you!

If I had to choose only 1 city in which to have a "permanent" home, and money was not an issue, it would be London, England.

Really, I'd like to have a house in New Orleans for the winters and one in London, or near it, for the summers. With lots of traveling all over the place all year round. Of course, if I traveled around some more, I'm sure I could find a new #1 choice for permanent digs.

hornswaggled
7/10/2012, 08:08 PM
On Lake Eufala. Get up and fish, go to town, come home, take a nap, get up and fish, eat fish, go to bed.

rock on sooner
7/10/2012, 08:28 PM
On Lake Eufala. Get up and fish, go to town, come home, take a nap, get up and fish, eat fish, go to bed.

Too much of a challenge...skip the second "get up and fish"
and substitute "get a beer"....

Chuck Bao
7/10/2012, 09:12 PM

I've lived 24 years or almost half of my life in Bangkok. I admit that I've had some bad experiences, but most of it falls into the I-should-have-known-better category. They've gone crazy building mass transit systems over the last several years which makes the city much, much more livable.

I'd prefer rural Thailand, but Bangkok is an awesome city. Great food, lots to do, 24/7 sanuk.

I definitely agree about the rural Thailand part. My three exes were helping me pack my stuff and decided that they would jointly build a resort on the rice farm I bought Nope in Chaiyaphum province if I would finance it and be their co-partner. It'd be a nice place for a resort just a couple miles outside a national park and the mountains. They may seem like they are all suddenly best friends, but I know better and it is not that. I'll just buy a condo unit in Hua Hin to retire.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/11/2012, 12:53 AM

Now that there would be a step up from Buttcrack, TX

SanJoaquinSooner
7/11/2012, 12:18 PM
I have a Banana Slugs hoodie. Couldn't resist.

I understand they have actually been awarding grades for some time now.

Damn beautiful place, that. And not as money-centric as Marin, which would have been my second choice.

Back in the 90s I occasionally evaluated transcripts for teaching credential programs that required a 2.5 cum GPA and 2.5 in the major. So a few times I'd get a student from UC Santa Cruz who didn't have grades, but narratives. I'd have to read the narratives and determine the grade equivalent. The narratives ended about a dozen years ago. The 60s couldn't last forever, but UCSC gave it the old college try.

sooneron
7/11/2012, 03:18 PM
Newport RI or Montauk in the summers (though Montauk is too Hamptons-esque these days). Hanalei, HI for the rest of the time. If not those, some sort of skiing mecca in the Tahoe area.

cccasooner2
7/11/2012, 05:02 PM

How bout this one?

http://media-social.s-msn.com/images/blogs/000c0065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-0687-0000-0000-000000000000_20120711161501_jacky.jpg

http://living.msn.com/style-beauty/simply-chic-blog-post/?post=bde89631-ad0c-46a0-8e06-12295da08915&_nwpt=1

olevetonahill
7/11/2012, 06:13 PM
How bout this one?

http://media-social.s-msn.com/images/blogs/000c0065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-0687-0000-0000-000000000000_20120711161501_jacky.jpg

http://living.msn.com/style-beauty/simply-chic-blog-post/?post=bde89631-ad0c-46a0-8e06-12295da08915&_nwpt=1

Dont want yers either.

MamaMia
7/16/2012, 03:22 PM
On the beach in Key West, but be able to fly to the OU football games.