PDA

View Full Version : A focus on neck conditioning to reduce concussions?

cccasooner2
6/26/2012, 10:40 PM
An article on the subject.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-combine-players-neck-strength-could-head-off-concussion-problems-062612

cccasooner2
6/27/2012, 01:45 PM
Dr. Robert Cantu – one of the top researchers of NFL brain trauma – told FOXSports.com in 2010 that the reason “is just straight physics. If you see the blow coming and you have a very strong neck and contract the neck muscles, you have a much greater chance to have significantly reduced the forces the brain will see.”

It seems a broken neck would make for better physics. :D

badger
6/27/2012, 02:02 PM
Hell, doc --- we're talking about head injuries, not neck injuries! Perhaps you should be telling people strengthen their head muscles! ;)

6/27/2012, 08:10 PM
I played college football. In high school and college, we did much to develope the neck and shoulder muscles. There's nothing you can "train" for to prevent a concussion.

I had only one, and it was in high school. Damn that grass. Ate it and don't remember much after that.

rock on sooner
6/27/2012, 08:47 PM
I was taught to shrug the shoulders up and pull the chin down
at impact to brace for the hit. As far as I know no one on my
team got hurt. 'Course this was high school and class B in OK
so not a lot of hard hitters...

marfacowboy
6/27/2012, 08:56 PM
I played college football. In high school and college, we did much to develope the neck and shoulder muscles. There's nothing you can "train" for to prevent a concussion.

I had only one, and it was in high school. Damn that grass. Ate it and don't remember much after that.

Correct. This "doctor" sounds like a quack. Complete BS.
Brain injury is such a serious problem (and getting worse due to the size and strength of the players and the force of impact), I wonder if football will look anything like it does today twenty-five years (or less) from now. There are links to dementia and even RA.

picasso
6/27/2012, 11:23 PM
This is pretty stupid. Most football players have no neck. The shoulders simply mold into the head.

ashley
6/28/2012, 08:38 PM
Coaches have been stressing neck strengthening for forty years.

budbarrybob
6/29/2012, 01:30 PM
I would contend that a stronger neck would generate a worse concussion than a weaker one.

ashley
6/29/2012, 02:39 PM
I would contend that a stronger neck would generate a worse concussion than a weaker one. I really do hope you are kidding.

budbarrybob
6/29/2012, 02:43 PM
I really do hope you are kidding.
I would also contend you know nothing about the physics of a concussion.

MamaMia
6/30/2012, 01:45 AM
Now, if we could do something about the ongoing injuries that happen below the waist at OU. It just seems like it never ends. :(

yermom
6/30/2012, 12:29 PM
my understanding is that the issues are more from the mini-concussions from hitting their head thousands of times, like boxers, vs. big concussions, which are a separate and more obvious thing

i'd think stronger neck muscles would keep your head from slamming on the ground if you fall, but some head-on collision, not so much

ouflak
7/11/2012, 02:55 AM
I would also contend you know nothing about the physics of a concussion.

A weaker neck might mean a broken neck. What's the point of avoiding a concussion if the exchange is that you are crippled for life?

Anyway I was always taught, "Keep your head up!", before any kind of a hit.

cccasooner2
7/11/2012, 03:48 PM
A weaker neck might mean a broken neck. What's the point of avoiding a concussion if the exchange is that you are crippled for life?

Substitute physics for practice, we're talking physics. :)

d29VsG35DQM