PDA

View Full Version : NCAA or BCS or some muckety-wumps approve 4 team playoff of college football

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/26/2012, 05:27 PM
They just had an announcement on ESPeNis to that effect. It will be played within the bowl system, somehow. They also claimed the 4 teams will be selected in a fair and equitable fashion. It will start with the 2014-15 season.

6/26/2012, 08:29 PM
I believe the integrity of the college football season will be intact up through an 8-team playoff. Any more than that and college football will be like the NFL, in that the importance of regular season games will be diminished.

ouwasp
6/27/2012, 12:21 AM
To me, it sure seems like an 8-team format would in itself help protect the integrity of college football. Such a format would include all contenders. And the likes of a curveball being thrown by the selection committee would be lessened. Imo.

MamaMia
6/27/2012, 12:51 AM
All the teams with weak strengths of schedule will be whining if they have a winning record and get left out.

6/27/2012, 12:55 AM
All the teams with weak strengths of schedule will be whining if they have a winning record and get left out.All they have to do is be in the top 8. It would take a VERY weak strength of schedule to have a killer record (12-0 or 11-1) and not be in the top 8. Their AD or whoever schedules teams should realize that when scheduling.

6/27/2012, 12:59 AM
ANY MORE than 8 teams in the playoff would possibly cause a degree of laxity of effort for some during the regular season, I suspect.

Ruf/Nek7
6/27/2012, 09:01 AM
It has been clearly stated that "strength of schedule" is an active component in the decision process. I know it went away in the last few years but is back now. Time for * to start scheduling actual opponents.

KantoSooner
6/27/2012, 10:54 AM
Hey! the Lower Guadalupe Valley Teachers College for the Blind IS an actual opponent.

Why, Texas No. 1 offense only scored 15 points on them last time.

SoonerorLater
6/27/2012, 11:27 AM
Of what useful purpose is this? How is having a small committe of "wisemen" determine who gets to play for a championship better than what we have now. If College Football just has to have a playoff then do it right and revamp the entire system to gear it for a fair and equitable playoff structure. Otherwise just leave it alone or better yet go back to an earlier incarnation of the championship selection. Any playoff that isn't determined in advance by objective criteria is flawed beyond redemption.