PDA

View Full Version : 4 Team playoff is here - starts 2014

landrun
6/26/2012, 05:23 PM
It looks like it is official!

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/four-team-seeded-playoff-approved-by-university-presidents-will-go-into-effect-for-2014-season-062612

Starts in 2014 and will be around for 12 years!

I just wonder who is on this 'selection committee' and what criteria is used to determine what 4 teams make the cut.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/26/2012, 05:28 PM
We started our threads at the same time, apparently.

Dwight
6/26/2012, 05:58 PM
So dumb.

LVSOONER15
6/26/2012, 06:32 PM
Well nothing we can do. Let's see how it plays out.

BoulderSooner79
6/26/2012, 06:53 PM
At least this will squash all the arguments on who's in and who's out. HAHAHAHAHA...

SoonerorLater
6/26/2012, 07:13 PM
I just can't figure out why so many people have this almost fanatical desire for a playoff.

goingoneight
6/26/2012, 07:47 PM
Funny how all it took was a poorly-rated bowl season (lo$$) to make it happen... not common sense.

SoonerPride
6/26/2012, 07:53 PM
I'm so glad there will no longer be any arguments at all about the post season.

Its format.

Who got in.

Who got left out.

This new playoff deal has solved all the problems.

Everyone in America will be happy.

Hooray.

/sarcasm off

6/26/2012, 08:25 PM
So dumb.Wouldn't you have enjoyed the bammers putting a nasty thump on orange aggy last yr?

Mazeppa
6/26/2012, 08:25 PM
2014 is a long way from "here" :)

WA. Sooner
6/27/2012, 12:59 AM
in 12 years it will be expanded to were 3 or 4 loss teams are in the hunt for a title. No Good!

ouflak
6/27/2012, 03:26 AM
Glad that this has finally happened. :)

Hot Rod
6/27/2012, 06:46 AM
As much as I'm liking the idea, I believe there will still be teams that cry and whine about NOT making the "playoff".

BoulderSooner79
6/27/2012, 07:36 AM
As much as I'm liking the idea, I believe there will still be teams that cry and whine about NOT making the "playoff".

And OUr team will be one of them. :)

jkjsooner
6/27/2012, 08:35 AM
I'm very happy about the four team playoff and even happier that the human polls will no longer directly have an impact. I do think the choice of a selection committee is odd. My guess is that such a committee will probably come up with a better field than an alternate method of selection but they're just asking for accusations of bias, etc.

It's one thing to have a committee that selects 40 or so at large spots for the basketball tournament. It's another thing to ask that committee to choose four teams. What's going to happen when we have a 2 loss SEC winner vying for a spot against an undefeated WAC team? How will the selection committee be swayed by the perceived strength of the SEC?

I would have preferred some type of non-subjective and completely transparent selection criteria. Something like a formula using win percentage and SOS would have been my choice even if it occasionally provided results that we disagreed with. With such a criteria, if a deserving team didn't make it they would know why and know exactly how their scheduling and performance kept them out.

As for the now is solves everything sarcastic comments, I've never heard anyone say that any system will ever be perfect or without controversy. You know darn well that nobody had misguided ideas that any system will be perfect. Only a fool would refuse to make improvements unless the improvements yielded perfection.

jkjsooner
6/27/2012, 08:48 AM

This is true but those same teams will know that their chance was only improved by the new system.

There could be some random exceptions of course. It's very likely that a selection committee could have excluded OU in 2003 whereas the BCS included us but frankly we would only have ourselves to blame for that.

tomtom
6/27/2012, 08:53 AM
If a person is a fan of one of the teams in the top 4, which game will you attend, the first bowl game or
wait and hope your team is in the championship bowl?

Boomer.....
6/27/2012, 09:01 AM
Both if you can afford it.

I like the idea of a playoff, but hope it expands to at least 8 teams soon.

PrideMom
6/27/2012, 09:05 AM
There will ALWAYS be people that will complain on the selection of the "Qualified teams." They moaned and groaned with the NCAA basketball tourney and added more teams after the original 64!!!!

budbarrybob
6/27/2012, 09:10 AM
I'm in. I like the limited playoff better than a 2 team "matchup" to determine a MNC.

SoonerorLater
6/27/2012, 10:11 AM
I'm very happy about the four team playoff and even happier that the human polls will no longer directly have an impact. I do think the choice of a selection committee is odd. My guess is that such a committee will probably come up with a better field than an alternate method of selection but they're just asking for accusations of bias, etc.

It's one thing to have a committee that selects 40 or so at large spots for the basketball tournament. It's another thing to ask that committee to choose four teams. What's going to happen when we have a 2 loss SEC winner vying for a spot against an undefeated WAC team? How will the selection committee be swayed by the perceived strength of the SEC?

I would have preferred some type of non-subjective and completely transparent selection criteria. Something like a formula using win percentage and SOS would have been my choice even if it occasionally provided results that we disagreed with. With such a criteria, if a deserving team didn't make it they would know why and know exactly how their scheduling and performance kept them out.

As for the now is solves everything sarcastic comments, I've never heard anyone say that any system will ever be perfect or without controversy. You know darn well that nobody had misguided ideas that any system will be perfect. Only a fool would refuse to make improvements unless the improvements yielded perfection.

A 4 team playoff as is being planned is worthless. It's a far cry from a "perfect" system to one like this that deserves a failing grade. I wish the fans and the powers that be would come to understand that college football as structured, is wholly unsuitable for a playoff. College football is completely unique for many reasons and a fair and equitable playoff just isn't going to be possible without a major overhaul of the current system. Which in my mind would be like killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Eielson
6/27/2012, 10:33 AM
I like the four team playoff. Playoff enthusiasts won't be satisfied at four teams, though, and the NCAA will probably appease them. 8 teams would suck. 16 teams would be awful.

BetterSoonerThanLater
6/27/2012, 10:41 AM
it's Bush's fault......whoops. sorry. wrong forum ;)

jkjsooner
6/27/2012, 12:32 PM
If a person is a fan of one of the teams in the top 4, which game will you attend, the first bowl game or

I didn't get that. Are you saying that the four teams are selected after the normal bowls?

Edit: Duh. I don't know why I didn't understand what you were saying. For some reason I was reading "championship bowl" to mean the entire playoff.

Hot Rod
6/27/2012, 03:18 PM
One scenario I can see happening is (just for example) say you have an undefeated Cincy team that has done well (maybe even beating a ranked SEC team in an opening OOC game) and then you have a one-loss SEC/Pac12/BigTen/Big12 team that lost it's only game to the #1 team that has already clinched a spot in the playoffs. Do you give Cincy the nod or would a possible rematch of the one loss SEC/Pac12/BigTen/Big12 team be strong enough to jump Cincy to make into that possible last spot.

In situations like this, I can still see a team getting left out of this new playoff mix.

yankee
6/27/2012, 11:58 PM
Should be at least 8 teams. 4 teams is a start though, should shut most people up for a while.

6/28/2012, 12:48 AM
Should be at least 8 teams. 4 teams is a start though, should shut most people up for a while.You pretty much got it. 8 is just right, for several reasons, not the least of which is preventing the cheapening of the regular season.

SOFSooner
6/28/2012, 04:35 AM
No more than likely the team that will be whining about not being in the "playoff" will be the shorthorns. They already have a record of doing just that with "the clapper" as the head coach.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/28/2012, 08:02 AM

And OUr team will be one of them. :)

Not a chance. We will make it to the championship and get whipped causing the committee to alter whatever formula they used to let us in in the first place. Duh.

IndySooner
6/28/2012, 08:14 AM

This is the only issue (so far) that I have with this system. They needed to have the semi-finals on home fields.

jkjsooner
6/28/2012, 08:19 AM
You pretty much got it. 8 is just right, for several reasons, not the least of which is preventing the cheapening of the regular season.

Quit making me agree with you. It makes me feel icky. ;-)

I feel that 8 would not reduce the meaning of the regular season too much. I also think 8 teams would be more appropriate for a selection committee. At that point you can argue that you deserved to get in but you know darn well you had your chances and blew it.

Anyway, I'm happy with four. If the selection committee does their job right, any of the 120 or so division 1 teams have a shot at a championship when the season starts. In my opinion, if some teams don't have a shot before the season started then there really isn't one FBS division.

Speaking of, are they going to finally put to rest the absurd FCS and FBS titles? Ever tried to explain to a non-American that the Football Bowl Subdivision is actually a higher level than the Football Championship Subdivision?

OUinFLA
6/28/2012, 08:38 AM
The issue I see with going to 8 teams will be the Rose Bowl's mandate to play Pac12/Big10 matchup.

None of the other bowls have such a long running match up and the RB doesn't want that tradition to change.

Get them on board and the 8 team playoff just got a lot easier to manage.

6/28/2012, 12:56 PM
Quit making me agree with you. It makes me feel icky. ;-)

Seems to me that you usually do agree with me, but have chosen to be cantankerous anyway.(if you are who I think you are)

6/28/2012, 12:57 PM
... are they going to finally put to rest the absurd FCS and FBS titles? Ever tried to explain to a non-American that the Football Bowl Subdivision is actually a higher level than the Football Championship Subdivision?Yeah, that was another genious move by the football bigwigs.

JLEW1818
6/30/2012, 09:50 AM
4 teams is plenty.
2008 would have been perfect.

You don't need 8 ****ing teams

HAMTTX
7/1/2012, 04:11 AM
I am not a fan of it, but it ain't like they asked my opinion. OU always did pretty well in the "image" portion of the competition. Even many who don't like us respect us. Or want to beat us, which is close to the same thing. It was about a vote of who felt a team was worthy. Do you think OU would have suffered the same fate as osu last year had we been in that position? I don't think so. So at the end of the day I don't know that it is going to be a good thing. I felt the bowl tie-ins we have had to live with the last 10 years were much more of a problem. But that is just looking at it through my old eyes.

JLMSOONER
7/1/2012, 11:47 AM
Still won't be any less arguments. I wonder if the NCAA won't allow more teams do to unfair advantage of playing so many more games than those that don't get in?

101sooner
7/1/2012, 12:02 PM
Four teams are fine with me, it's the selection committee that concerns me. Why even have a BCS Poll if you aren't going to use it to select your 4 teams? What happens when a one loss #3 ranked Oklahoma gets left out of 4 team playoff?

jumperstop
7/1/2012, 12:11 PM
Four teams are fine with me, it's the selection committee that concerns me. Why even have a BCS Poll if you aren't going to use it to select your 4 teams? What happens when a one loss #3 ranked Oklahoma gets left out of 4 team playoff?
I agree, it should just be the top four teams in the bcs. I understand why, so they can make sure a big conference champion doesn't gets screwed. Still just seems like leaves more room for controversy vs them being able to blame it on the polls.

JLEW1818
7/1/2012, 10:40 PM

A playoff is a privilege, not a right. Win all of your games

Curly Bill
7/1/2012, 10:45 PM
I just can't figure out why so many people have this almost fanatical desire for a playoff.

Sports fans as a rule are pretty simpleminded. They see that every other sport has one, and to them that means college football should too. It's dumb, and it is simpleminded, but ya can't get that mad at em...I mean they are what they are.

101sooner
7/2/2012, 01:28 PM
A playoff is a privilege, not a right. Win all of your games

This makes zero sense. Do you think that the 1971 or the 1978 Oklahoma teams should have made a 4 team playoff?

1. Name one other sport that you have to win every regular season game in order to make the playoffs.

2. All schedules are not equal.

3. All conferences are not equal. If conference A has 12 teams, 7 of which are in the top 20 and conference B has 10 teams, only one of which are in the top 20, going undefeated is easier in conference B than only losing one game in conference A.

ouwasp
7/2/2012, 06:31 PM
Long been in favor of a playoff. Why weren't other sports/levels of football copying the Bowl System if it was just so darn good?

Back in the day, I'm sure there were many people bothered by the coming of the railroad. The light bulb. Films with audio. You get the idea.

I'm still hoping for an 8 team playoff. I'm 49... just maybe I'll see it before I die.