PDA

View Full Version : online reviews

SanJoaquinSooner
6/24/2012, 05:39 PM
It's kinda funny how reviews of restaurants or hotels or other things will have such wide variation. One person will say something like, "I've been going to Billy Bob's Cafe for 10 years and they have the best ****ing chicken fried steak ever cooked on God's green earth. Great Service. That head waitress Ruth is a real sweetheart."

And then the next person will write, "What ever you do, don't eat at Billy Bob's. Their Chicken Fried Steak tasted like dog ****. No - forget that. My dog wouldn't eat that gristley ****. And our waitress disappeared and never refilled our drinks. I'll never go back."

delhalew
6/24/2012, 10:17 PM
Pretty simple. I stayed at a Comfort Inn a while back. My room was fine. The lady next to me was screaming bloody murder, because, after smelling something odd, she finally an old crusty **** rag up on a shelf.

Do you suppose we would review that hotel differently.

KantoSooner
6/25/2012, 05:09 PM
It's also fairly well established that many of the reviews (especially for vacation resorts and hotels) are written by professional services that specialize in such puffery.

cleller
6/26/2012, 09:56 AM
Still, Tripadvisor has been fantastic, I think. Google reviews is getting there, good for more everyday type restaurants. You can read them all, then postulate how you think it really shakes out. Some people are never happy.

Urban Spoon has come thru for me some, too.

Viking Kitten
6/26/2012, 10:16 AM
This thread reminds me of these reviews (http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3719941329/trail-motel-enid) of the Trails Motel, a rundown sort of place up in Enid, America.

I particularly like this one, one star, "Filthy!" by Katheryn F.:

I would not give this filthy place any portion of a star! It is DIRTY. The floors, walls, doors, everything is filthy dirty and stinks. The toilet was cracked so bad I nearly fell into the tub. They did nothing about the ice all over their parking lot. The staff is rude and even came into our room right after we left one day. To make matters worse the city of Enid knows they run prostitutes through this pigsty of a motel. Get me a bulldozer so I can tear the place down!

Contrasted with this one, five stars, "Freakin Awesome!" by Kitty M.:

I've been all over the world and I've never stayed in a place quite so lovely as the Trail Motel. My spouse and I are swingers, so we are accustomed to checking in to shady motels for anonymous afternoon encounters with total strangers, but I will always return to the Trail Motel.Bathrooms? Forget about it. Swingers like myself want a certain shabby ambiance when it comes to accomodations, and the cracked toilets at the Trail totally provide that. I also am an amateur figure skater, and when I am not engaging in risky, unprotected sex with unfamiliar men, I like to find a nice icy parking lot to practice my triple Lutz. The Trail meets my needs in spades.The staff, never one to waste time with empty, annoying pleasatries, is always johnny-on-the-spot when it comes to checking on the rooms right after we leave for a nice meal at one of Enid's fine dining establishments such as Taco Mayo. Apparently, the city of Enid is kindly seeing to the sexual needs of its residents by allowing certain "ladies of the evening" to ply their trade at the Trail. I call that a win for liberty!I hope anyone who drives a bulldozer in Enid is suddenly crippled with blinding syphilis so that the Trail Motel will stand forever, a monument to the finest in hospitality that Enid has to offer.

Mazeppa
7/1/2012, 01:01 AM
Google reviews is getting there

Your just sending more personal info to google.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/1/2012, 01:45 AM
This thread reminds me of these reviews (http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3719941329/trail-motel-enid) of the Trails Motel, a rundown sort of place up in Enid, America.

I particularly like this one, one star, "Filthy!" by Katheryn F.:

Contrasted with this one, five stars, "Freakin Awesome!" by Kitty M.:

That's too ****ing funny!

MsProudSooner
7/1/2012, 07:25 AM
TripAdvisor can be a great resource. You just have to ignore the positive and negative reviews by people who have only one review. Or, like some teachers used to do, throw out the best and the worst and average the rest of them.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/1/2012, 01:44 PM
TripAdvisor can be a great resource. You just have to ignore the positive and negative reviews by people who have only one review. Or, like some teachers used to do, throw out the best and the worst and average the rest of them.

Wait a minute. I've heard of teachers dropping the lowest test grade, but some throw out the highest score too?