PDA

View Full Version : Agro film about Iran Hostage Crisis

SanJoaquinSooner
6/24/2012, 01:29 PM
While at the movies to see "Seeking Friend for the End of the World," they previewed Argo, a film about the rescue of 6 Americans during the Iranian Hostage crisis. It looks promising....

w918Eh3fij0

cleller
6/26/2012, 09:53 AM
I got my hopes a little high before watching the trailer. I think a movie about the incident could be great if it was handled like the History Channel did the Hatfields and McCoys.

From the trailer, and the people involved it looks like a serio-comic take on the matter, focused on summer entertainment for masses. But, that's Hollywood.

SoonerAtKU
7/3/2012, 01:13 PM
Ben Affleck has helped make some really good movies. The Town, Gone Baby Gone, Good Will Hunting. I'll see it on past performance.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/11/2012, 01:55 AM
why y'all wasting your time talking about Atlus shrubs? it's goin' be ****ty.

Argo is coming and received great reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/argo/critic-reviews

SanJoaquinSooner
2/25/2013, 12:58 AM
Well if you didn't see Argo, now that it's won the Best Picture Oscar, maybe you should. It's about this half-Mexican CIA guy who rescues Americans in Iran during the takeover of the U.S. Embassy.

http://mit.zenfs.com/578/2011/12/Jimmy-Carter-y-Anthony-Mendez-cia.gov_.jpg

olevetonahill
2/25/2013, 06:57 AM
Is this the story of Old Ross Perot breaking all kinds of U.S. and International Laws to get JUST his people out of there?
Havn't kept up, But read the story years ago,

Petro-Sooner
2/25/2013, 08:19 AM
Good movie!!

cleller
2/25/2013, 09:11 AM
Never saw it. Did they get the hostages out?

stoopified
2/25/2013, 09:43 AM
Is this the story of Old Ross Perot breaking all kinds of U.S. and International Laws to get JUST his people out of there?
Havn't kept up, But read the story years ago,

No, This was a CIA op that got 6 embassy employees out of Iran after they escaped the embassy during the takeover. According to the storyline they sought refuge with the Brits and Kiwis(New Zealand) emnbassies before being taken in by the Canadian Ambassador.I think it is an exellent movie.Only two things about it bothered me,fist recreation of the American flag- burning desecration by the mobs. Secondly the clip at the end where no-balls Carter took credit for peacefully resolving the hostage crisis.The fact that Carter's spineless leadership lead to the crisis apparently escaped Mr. Peanut.

The movie overall was good BUT for me,stirred up some bad memories .

jk the sooner fan
2/25/2013, 09:55 AM
great movie - worth the watch

C&CDean
2/25/2013, 09:57 AM
I never heard of it till this morning while driving and they were talking about it on the radio. Might give it a watch.

jk the sooner fan
2/25/2013, 09:59 AM
it's really well done - alan arkin and john goodman play good roles - and Affleck is good - the movie is really about the politics of getting those 6 out - and the environment they operated.....a bit suspenseful at times

i think people our age (me, dean, etc) will appreciate it more than the younger crowd because we watched the whole Iran hostage crisis unfold....the younger crowd wont appreciate it as much (just my opinion)

C&CDean
2/25/2013, 10:15 AM
You really wanna feel old? To my kids, Vietnam is like WWII to me. Gulf 1? Again, ancient history to them.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/25/2013, 10:23 AM
Never saw it. Did they get the hostages out?

Yes, it was one of only two good things that happened during the Malaise adminstration.

SoonerStormchaser
2/25/2013, 11:13 AM
Is the sequel to Argo gonna be.....

.....wait for it..........

POLO?

jkjsooner
2/25/2013, 02:33 PM
Only two things about it bothered me,fist recreation of the American flag- burning desecration by the mobs.

I put that in the same category of the use of the N word in Django Unchained. If you're going to make a movie about an historical time period you shouldn't have to apologize for showing the good and the bad.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/25/2013, 06:23 PM
The anger of the mob outside the embassy scared me ****less and I knew it was just a movie. I think they did a great job making it realistic.

Soonerfan88
2/25/2013, 10:57 PM
I'm still very disappointed over the lack of credit given the Canadians in the movie and that completely made up BS dash to the airport. It overshadows most of the good acting in the film for me. Yes, I know it's a Hollywood adaptation and not a documentary. I should probably just quit watching anything 'based on a true story' because Hollywood feels a need to change too much.

Also, read that Alan Arkin's character didn't even exist and most of the back story on how the movie was chosen and named is also BS.

stoopified
2/26/2013, 09:25 AM
I put that in the same category of the use of the N word in Django Unchained. If you're going to make a movie about an historical time period you shouldn't have to apologize for showing the good and the bad.I realize it was necessary and I was shocked that watching the depiction of the desecration bothered me that much.It amazes me I had such a visceral reaction to the whole hostage crisis,30+ years later.

jkjsooner
2/26/2013, 10:13 AM
I realize it was necessary and I was shocked that watching the depiction of the desecration bothered me that much.It amazes me I had such a visceral reaction to the whole hostage crisis,30+ years later.

I get what you're saying. I misunderstood at first. I was about 8 or 9 during this and it was one of the of the first news/political events I really remembered. I remember being horrified by the images of the blindfolded hostages and the burning of the flags.

I just watched it last night. I thought it was good. I was reading that many (including the Canadian ambasador) felt that Canada's role was underplayed.

I think that criticism is mistaken. The ambassador clearly risked his own life. While it wasn't a theme of the movie this should have been clear to anyone. It's just the movie was about the CIA's role. The story behind the ambassador had already been told and there was a movie made about it. The story about the CIA's role in the operation wasn't as well known because it was classified for so many years.

I know Canadians may feel slightened by the "Thank You Canada" part at the end since it might imply that movie is stating that the wrong party took credit. We clearly owed a lot of thanks to Canada but the point was that at the time we thought all of the credit went to Canada which wasn't true.

jkjsooner
2/26/2013, 10:51 AM
I'm still very disappointed over the lack of credit given the Canadians in the movie and that completely made up BS dash to the airport.

The dash at the airport was too Hollywood and was completely unnecessary.

About the Canadians, what was missing? Just because the role of the ambassador wasn't emphasized you can easily read between the lines and this story has been told.

There's only one guy who was sitting in the safety of the U.S. who decided to travel to that place and he was a CIA guy. It's one thing to take risks while you're already in enemy territory but another to willfully go from the comfort of the U.S.

That's not to say the ambassador didn't take more risk upon himself than he needed to. But again that was obvious in the movie even if it wasn't emphasized.

jkjsooner
2/26/2013, 04:38 PM
I just did some more reading and it appears Canadians' role was more than I thought. The ambassador and others did a lot of the leg work like checking out the airport, etc. I agree that it could have been done with more historical accuracy (even if you want to keep some of the added tension) without harming the entertainment value of the movie.

That being said, it sounds like the truth is somewhere in the middle. For a long time it was portrayed as a completely Canadian operation and this film goes too far the other way.

StoopTroup
2/26/2013, 05:32 PM
I saw an Interview with Prez Carter and he said the only thing he felt wrong with the movie was the credit given to the CIA as he felt had the Canadians not been involved as much as they were....it wouldn't have worked so for him he felt the Canadians should have gotten more credit in the Movie. Other than that...he said it's a great Movie and that folks should go see it.

ouwasp
2/27/2013, 09:33 PM
I took my wife and 19 yr old kids to see Argo a couple months ago... afterwards we had quite a discussion over a meal about the situation... ancient history to my kids (I was 16 when the iranians stormed our embassy...can't believe how impotent America seemed back then)...

We still owe the iranian gov't...I'll get a vicarious kick out of it when the Israelis cut them down to size someday.