PDA

View Full Version : LHN and Texas Tech

spanielboy
6/21/2012, 09:05 PM
Seems that Texas Tech folks are alarmed that their game at Texas State will be on the Longhorn Network. Story below.

http://texastech.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=1377831

soonerinabilene
6/21/2012, 09:26 PM
Well, if I'm ESPN, and I have to broadcast a game that no one wants to watch, I'm going to put it on the channel that no one wants.

MyT Oklahoma
6/21/2012, 10:34 PM
I just love the way * causes problems for others without even being directly involved. LOL

SOFSooner
6/22/2012, 07:21 AM
Isn't Texas State known as the Fighting Armadillos, and have Scott Bakula as their quarterback? Heck if they can make a movie about the Texas State, I guess they can lower their standards and go on the LHN.

badger
6/22/2012, 08:14 AM
ESPN: Maybe we can TRICK other fans into subscribing to the Longhorn Network!

Tech: We'd pay a monstrous buyout and only play 11 games before we'd play in a game televised on Bevo TV!

ESPN: Well... shoot.

Kudos, Tech. I officially hate you less for screwing up our home winning streak last season. Grumble grumble weather delayed fluke of a game... :mad:

texaspokieokie
6/22/2012, 08:56 AM
Our guys just added lhn to our package, @ no charge.
Why would you hate tek for the OU loss. it wasa more the fault of OU.

Hate tek for the losses in lubbock.

badger
6/22/2012, 09:37 AM
Our guys just added lhn to our package, @ no charge.

Wonder if ESPN relented on the "40 cents per subscriber" demand for Bevo TV. I read somewhere that they charge $4 per subscriber for their main networks.

From what I understand, that was the main buzz kill that prevented LHN from being on most cable providers, the high cost and the providers finally putting their foot down and saying NO to that sports monster. I imagine the angsty aggroids of Collie Station also might have had their hand in preventing some from picking it up.

BBQ Man
6/22/2012, 09:45 AM
Tech fans are ticked off and how do you blame them when there's been such a history of the 'horns doing stuff like this over and over? Cancelling the game would be expensive and arguably stupid, but it would show they actually have some pride and I'd be impressed.

spanielboy
6/22/2012, 09:50 AM
ESPN: Maybe we can TRICK other fans into subscribing to the Longhorn Network!

Looks like the LHN will become a regional station, especially with the addition of WAC games. How much time and effort before LHN becomes the defacto channel for the Big12 Conference?

badger
6/22/2012, 10:02 AM
Looks like the LHN will become a regional station, especially with the addition of WAC games. How much time and effort before LHN becomes the defacto channel for the Big12 Conference?

Here's an idea: "The Texas Network." No Longhorn-only sh!t, fill it with Texas sports (UTSA, Texas State, even Tech and UT)

spanielboy
6/22/2012, 11:37 AM
Here's an idea: "The Texas Network." No Longhorn-only sh!t, fill it with Texas sports (UTSA, Texas State, even Tech and UT)

The boundary of what defines the LHN is being pushed by both Texas and ESPN. The inventory with the addition of the WAC schools helps LHN, as does the rumor that high school football and basketball games may be an issue to engage once again. The initial agreement was to broadcast one football game and 4-6 basketball games, but the Horns are pushing for three of their football games this year and tried to get a Tech game by a round-about way.

OU may be able to defend their rights, but do the other programs in the Big12 have the strength and ability to do so? Tech shows that it can this time around -- can it do so next time?

badger
6/22/2012, 11:51 AM
If Tech could whine its way into the Big 12 despite being inferior if practically every way (no offense techsters, but we didn't want or need you then and we probably don't now, either), it might be able to pull it off again.

Tear Down This Wall
6/22/2012, 01:16 PM
If Tech could whine its way into the Big 12 despite being inferior if practically every way (no offense techsters, but we didn't want or need you then and we probably don't now, either), it might be able to pull it off again.

This is the Post of the Millenium! Freely substitute Baylor for Tech as well.

Nice read. All that to-do and their subscribers get a season full of UTSA and Texas State! ESPN are the biggest suckers in America. They've never understood how few people in Texas actually care about UT.

The Longhorns will never have the pull in Texas the way OU does in Oklahoma, Bama does in Alabama, the Huskers in Nebraska, etc. ESPN has got to have the most deaf, dumb, and blind marketing wing in the history of business.

badger
6/22/2012, 02:53 PM
This is the Post of the Millenium! Freely substitute Baylor for Tech as well.

Nice read. All that to-do and their subscribers get a season full of UTSA and Texas State! ESPN are the biggest suckers in America. They've never understood how few people in Texas actually care about UT.

The Longhorns will never have the pull in Texas the way OU does in Oklahoma, Bama does in Alabama, the Huskers in Nebraska, etc. ESPN has got to have the most deaf, dumb, and blind marketing wing in the history of business.

While I appreciate your kind words about my latest jab at a random Big 12 opponent, I must disagree that the whorns aren't big in Baja Oklahoma. I think jealousy of the control UT has in that state causes schools like Baylor and Tech to chime "ME TOO!" when their big brother is about to leave the defunct SWC, and causes A&M to SECede.

But, the difference between Huskers in Nebrasky, Bammers in Bammerham, Sooners in Oklahoma and whorningtons is that we are intelligent football fans that demand and expect football excellence. Whorns in general are like... well, everyone here knows:

- Toss money at the problem program to see if wins follow
Leading to coaching complacancy and player entitlement

- Build huge, impressive facilities to brag about
So that the stadium can look emptier when fans aren't there for their creampuff non-conference schedule

- Arrive late and leave early to games
Because dammit, that I-35 traffic really sucks!

In general, ideas that sound better on paper than in person. This can be symbolized in this photo alone:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/vazquez24/IMG_1473.jpg

texaspokieokie
6/22/2012, 03:18 PM
I've lived in tx a little over 40 yrs. Here in dallas co.; there are plenty of tx (arrogant,bandwagon) fans.

TX doesn't have the same %age of the fans in tx as OU does in OK is because there are lots more schools in tx. if that makes sense.

The no. of ut fans in tx is much greater than no. of OU fans in OK, only because tx is so much bigger. Like 25 million. there's almost as many right
here in DFW area (people, not ut fans) as in all of OK. just a guess.

bluedogok
6/22/2012, 10:58 PM
In general, ideas that sound better on paper than in person. This can be symbolized in this photo alone:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/vazquez24/IMG_1473.jpg
Well, those really were paper...papier-mâché

SoonerMarkVA
6/23/2012, 08:30 AM
Seems that Texas Tech folks are alarmed that their game at Texas State will be on the Longhorn Network.

Looks like they figured out a way to show Texas HS games after all.

texaspokieokie
6/23/2012, 08:39 AM
Game will be televised, but not on LHN. Per DMN.

bluedogok
6/23/2012, 08:41 AM
They had a game or two last year that was not on television at all. If it were to be on LHN or PPV then it is at least available to watch somewhere.

spanielboy
6/25/2012, 09:17 AM
The latest town-crier proclaimation,

http://www.statesman.com/sports/nine-things-and-one-crazy-prediction-for-this-2403672.html

1. Texas is no closer to reaching an agreement with Time Warner Cable to carry the Longhorn Network, Time Warner's Central Texas communications manager, Ryan Kelly, tells me, as the ESPN-operated venture nears its one-year anniversary in August.

But an industry source told me Time Warner is interested in trying to buy the Longhorn Network or at least partner with ESPN on the property, for which ESPN is shelling out $300 million over 20 years. Time Warner representatives at the corporate office have not returned phone calls for several weeks, and the cable provider won't even disclose the last time it negotiated with ESPN. ESPN has failed to reach any distribution agreements with major cable providers or satellite companies.

In a statement Sunday, Time Warner said, "We had discussions with ESPN (about distribution), and we did not come to an agreement on terms for a contract that would allow Time Warner Cable to distribute the Longhorn Network. At this time, there aren't plans to carry the Longhorn Network."

An ESPN spokesperson said its network is not privy to Time Warner's internal discussions.

Time Warner is becoming aggressive in its quest for more sports programming. It will start two regional sports networks in Los Angeles in October after spending $3 billion in 20-year agreements to carry the Lakers, Galaxy and Sparks. Could the Dodgers be next?

Will this experiment of shelling money to Texas be a failure? In the process that a regional sports network rise from the ashes?

badger
6/25/2012, 09:37 AM
Time Warner is becoming aggressive in its quest for more sports programming. It will start two regional sports networks in Los Angeles in October after spending $3 billion in 20-year agreements to carry the Lakers, Galaxy and Sparks. Could the Dodgers be next?

McCourt reportedly tried to tie the LA Dodgers into a 30-year contract with Fox so that he could keep using the Dodgers as his personal piggy bank. As the story goes, Selig and MLB crashed his money pit party, got new owners for the Dodgers (including Magic Johnson), etc etc. What really seemed to press McCourt to sell was the fact that he was getting divorced and ex-wifey wanted money to fund her lavish lifestyle too.

Hopefully, whatever fallout occurs from Chesapeake won't have such dramadramadrama with the OKC Thunder (McClendon is a part-owner) as the LA Dodgers did.

HToady
6/25/2012, 11:20 AM

Here's and even better idea. How about a Big 12 network (you know...like the Big 10 network).

If Dan Bebe had done this in the first place, we would even be talking about LHN. But I guess we knew where his alliegences were!

badger
6/25/2012, 11:30 AM
Here's and even better idea. How about a Big 12 network (you know...like the Big 10 network).

If Dan Bebe had done this in the first place, we would even be talking about LHN. But I guess we knew where his alliegences were!

You a TCU fan? If so, welcome. If not, pretend that you're one. :P

HToady
6/25/2012, 11:34 AM
You a TCU fan? If so, welcome. If not, pretend that you're one. :P

I am...with a freshman son at OU. Mom's an Okie. Would have gone to OU as well, but didn't know how to do laundry, so had to stay close to home.