PDA

View Full Version : Any one ever had a Prob with this?

olevetonahill
6/20/2012, 09:25 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/poisoned-search-results-more-malware-threat-probably-think-150643365.html

KantoSooner
6/20/2012, 09:30 AM
Yes.

olevetonahill
6/20/2012, 09:42 AM
Yes.
care to share some detail, Ya dumas :grief:

dwarthog
6/20/2012, 10:13 AM
This is easily avoided by looking at where the link is going prior to clicking on it.

If the hotlink says chase.com and when you hover your mouse pointer over it and it says something completely different, avoid that link like the plague....

KantoSooner
6/20/2012, 10:34 AM
Yeah, that's about the size of it. I clicked before thinking. As I recall, my actions were strongly correlated to late night alcohol consumption. Not fatal, just pain in the butt.

swardboy
6/22/2012, 03:34 PM
This is easily avoided by looking at where the link is going prior to clicking on it.

If the hotlink says chase.com and when you hover your mouse pointer over it and it says something completely different, avoid that link like the plague....

Why, thanks for that little gem of wisdom.

badger
6/22/2012, 04:07 PM
A year or two ago, my computer downloaded (I don't think I personally did it, not sure) downloaded an Internet safety program that closely resembled a Microsoft Windows shield. The popups after that never ended, reminding me how unsafe my computer was and how I absolutely must download more crap or something. You couldn't get rid of the bug, no matter how many times you minimized the window, closed the program, etc.

olevetonahill
6/22/2012, 04:38 PM
A year or two ago, my computer downloaded (I don't think I personally did it, not sure) downloaded an Internet safety program that closely resembled a Microsoft Windows shield. The popups after that never ended, reminding me how unsafe my computer was and how I absolutely must download more crap or something. You couldn't get rid of the bug, no matter how many times you minimized the window, closed the program, etc.

So what ya do? Live with it? shoot the Puter? drown it with the kittens?

yermom
6/22/2012, 05:03 PM
depends on what is installed.

this is the reason i refuse to click on tinyURL or other link shortening links. you can't tell where they are sending you.

delhalew
6/23/2012, 03:56 AM
In the end, don't you have to allow something to be installed, even if you do go to a bad url? Unless you provide it, what personal data can the get, beyond maybe your IP address?

yermom
6/23/2012, 04:08 AM
They don't always require interaction. They can run JavaScript or flash apps especially if things aren't up to date. They can also hijack your active sessions to things like Facebook, yahoo, etc...

delhalew
6/23/2012, 09:18 AM
Right. I always have Java turned off on all but my trusted sights just in case.