PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops doesn't like night games

badger
6/19/2012, 01:57 PM
Hello, my name is offseason and I'm trying to liven up a dead board :(

Linky (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/19376825/bob-stoops-would-like-to-share-the-primetime-love)

“We play at night way more than everybody else,” Stoops said during an interview with The Oklahoman.

“It needs to be spread around. We're talking about competitive advantage and equality, and we're all sharing the money ... let's all share the burden of it. That needs to be talked about more than it is.”

For any ex-football players (or current!) or ex-coaches (or current) out there, is it really a burden to play at nights as opposed to the afternoon/late morning?

Bear with me guys. I'm trying to provide some type of football discussion here!

SteelClip49
6/19/2012, 02:01 PM
Is it better to play at nights early in the season when it's cooler or play day games early in the season when it's hot? I'd say late August and all of September games in the evening would be a plus weather wise. Then when October rolls around, play all games in the afternoon when it's generally cool.

ashley
6/19/2012, 04:37 PM
Coaches and players hate game day when the have to wait all day to play the game.

MamaMia
6/20/2012, 12:47 AM
The players are use to getting up early. Their body clock starts winding down at night. Plus you really shouldn't carb up on game day so having 3 meals and no carbs is best, but not easy to do.

Tear Down This Wall
6/20/2012, 08:29 AM
If he doesn't like night games, why was he out shilling for a move to the Pac-12 last year? Probably for the same reason he was out saying it didn't matter whether we play Texas every year - blowhards Boren and Castiglione filling him full of crap.

My feeling is Bob is a good soldier. He was a good puppet for Boren and Castiglione while they were trying to move us into the basketball conference of yore. The reward for those thankfully futile efforts - TCU and West Virginia, Mizzou taking our place in the SEC, and the two bozos having to come to the full reality that it was Texas, not us, that the half-assed Pac-12 wanted.

KantoSooner
6/20/2012, 08:30 AM
I recall a game against Minnesota in the mid-1980's when playing during the day was a real advantage. They just weren't prepared for the heat.
I'd like to play Notre Dame when it's about 105 degrees out, bright sunshine and the grounds crew having watered the field vigorously the night before.

Likewise, I'd like to play any SEC team in a howling ice storm.

jumperstop
6/20/2012, 03:53 PM
It probably has more to do with playing ALL night games.

Mazeppa
6/22/2012, 10:46 PM
How many home games we at night last season? I went to all of them but can't remember. It would be nice to have some day games at home, then I would have time to drive home and see somebody else play on tv.

sooneredaco
6/23/2012, 01:22 AM
I for one prefer day games as a fan. Love Memorial on a bright sunny day

WA. Sooner
6/23/2012, 11:08 AM
Earlier the better for me. Living in PAC country, the earlier start gives me more time to give the PAC fan **** LOL

SanJoaquinSooner
6/23/2012, 11:11 AM
Is it better to play at nights early in the season when it's cooler or play day games early in the season when it's hot? I'd say late August and all of September games in the evening would be a plus weather wise. Then when October rolls around, play all games in the afternoon when it's generally cool.

From a fan perspective attending a game, I agree with this. I never enjoyed attending games played in 100 degree heat -- unless it was against Texas and we beat them.

KantoSooner
6/23/2012, 11:30 AM
I'll strike a discordant note: I LOVED day games early in the season (Yes, I was in way better shape then, but still). 100 degrees plus and sweating like a hog. Somehow you felt closer to the game. And it definitely makes Owen Field a much more intimidating venue for visiting teams.
Back in the 1980's the sports reporters used to gleefully report the playing surface temperature. I remember one game when it was close to 130. I would want that for Notre Dame.

Chuck Bao
6/23/2012, 02:40 PM
I think I posted this on that thread more than 6 months ago. A lot of OU fans have to drive an hour or two or three to the game. Staying in Norman or surrounding area overnight is not an option because so many Sooner fans go to church the next morning.

Alright, church consideration shouldn't be an issue with a public university. After all, OU schedules women's basketball games early Sunday afternoon and Wednesday night. My family is careful not to talk about my mom sneaking out of church because she probably already feels guilty enough for being that die hard OU fan.

Frozen Sooner
6/23/2012, 03:53 PM
Alright, church consideration shouldn't be an issue with a public university.

Eh. It's not a problem if they do consider it. Public schools can accomodate religious belief, they just can't promote it. Now I'm ducking out before this becomes a really lame church/state/school debate thread.

budbarrybob
6/23/2012, 05:53 PM
I recall playing FB at nights in HS. It's tougher when the Sept sun is beating down upon your helmet.