PDA

View Full Version : 9:30 p.m. kickoff for UTEP

badger
6/14/2012, 02:22 PM
No joke. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120614_92_0_Oklaho447339)

Seamus
6/14/2012, 02:25 PM
Jeebus. I hope no stray bullets come over from Ciudad Juarzone.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/14/2012, 02:29 PM
Oh, my freakin' gourd. TV is making hate football. Like I need to be up drinking heavily at 1am.

setem
6/14/2012, 02:31 PM
I love late games! Poons!

olevetonahill
6/14/2012, 02:32 PM
No joke. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120614_92_0_Oklaho447339)
Aint readin TW every time I try they tell me I have already read 10 articles and they insist that I register, F-em in the A

badger
6/14/2012, 02:34 PM
Aint readin TW every time I try they tell me I have already read 10 articles and they insist that I register, F-em in the A

Well, I already told you pretty much all there is in this thread's title. It's just that some people insist on proof of everything I post here, so I have to provide a source, don't I?

I don't blame the source demanders. With as little sleep as baby badger allows, I probably do say factually incorrect stuff on here.

CRAIG JAMES DID NOT KILL 5 HOOKERS.

See, if I don't provide a link, then, I'm probably making stuff up. ;)

olevetonahill
6/14/2012, 02:36 PM
Well, I already told you pretty much all there is in this thread's title. It's just that some people insist on proof of everything I post here, so I have to provide a source, don't I?

I don't blame the source demanders. With as little sleep as baby badger allows, I probably do say factually incorrect stuff on here.

CRAIG JAMES DID NOT KILL 5 HOOKERS.

See, if I don't provide a link, then, I'm probably making stuff up. ;)

Try this link. Its a fer sure .

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/okla-m-footbl-sched.html

Jason White's Third Knee
6/14/2012, 02:37 PM
I love late games! Poons!

Look. The stuff that I post on this site is inane enough without being totally **** faced.

KantoSooner
6/14/2012, 02:46 PM
Badger, how do you KNOW that CRAIG JAMES did not KILL FIVE HOOKERS?

He could have killed six. Or eight.

Hell, in those days, an SMU player could have been publically sacrificing hookers on the library steps everyday at 12:34 and it would have been hushed up. For all we know it might still be going on!

Craig James COULD be killing hookers even now. AS WE SPEAK.

God! the depravity that ebbs and surges around my ankles. It's all almost too much!

EatLeadCommie
6/14/2012, 02:48 PM
Do we have any day games this year apart from the RRR?

badger
6/14/2012, 02:50 PM
Badger, how do you KNOW that CRAIG JAMES did not KILL FIVE HOOKERS?

He could have killed six. Or eight.

Hell, in those days, an SMU player could have been publically sacrificing hookers on the library steps everyday at 12:34 and it would have been hushed up. For all we know it might still be going on!

Craig James COULD be killing hookers even now. AS WE SPEAK.

God! the depravity that ebbs and surges around my ankles. It's all almost too much!

I could provide links of sources saying that James didn't kill those hookers, but I am not sure they are the most reliable. They're all campaigners for Craig's campaign, a losing campaign, mind you. So it's not like they unbiased, neutral observers. And they're losers too ;)

But, back to the topic at hand: Baby badger is gonna only be about 6 mos old by that insanely late kickoff. And I'm sure Tulsa and Poke fans would be all like "Hope you guys don't have a lightning delay like we did." Gaaaah. This is wrong on so many levels. Just like killing hookers is wrong on so many levels.

deweydw
6/14/2012, 02:52 PM
So, what is the reasoning behind this late start?

badger
6/14/2012, 02:56 PM

My guess:
http://www.ihearttelevision.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/television-748021.jpg

Mac94
6/14/2012, 02:57 PM
Of course ... that is 8:30 El Paso time ... as if that makes a difference

badger
6/14/2012, 03:04 PM
Of course ... that is 8:30 El Paso time ... as if that makes a difference

of course. they're in the mexican time zone down there, aren't they? I assume that's what the M in MST stands for ;)

Mac94
6/14/2012, 03:07 PM
You mean it ain;t Margarita???????

deweydw
6/14/2012, 03:09 PM
that's probably what they had too much of when they decided on the time.

badger
6/14/2012, 03:24 PM
If it makes anyone feel better (it doesn't for me!) the Pokes have scheduled their Sept. 8 opener hosting Zona at... 9:30 p.m.

Link (http://newsok.com/osu-football-cowboys-sept.-8-game-at-arizona-to-start-at-930-p.m./article/3684368)

I will have meander over to OP to see how their fans are melting down :stunned:

EDIT: Ok, after lurking a few minutes on OP, it appears that the gripe is not that it starts at 9:30, but rather, that the Pokes allowed the game to be picked up by the Pac 12 Network. In other words, Bone Pick, Holder et al are deciding that the fans are going to show up to T Bone Stadium or they won't see the game. Poke fans, as can be imagined, are none too pleased. (http://www.orangepower.com/threads/osu-vs-zona-pac-12-network.146094/)

KantoSooner
6/14/2012, 03:30 PM
In all sobriety, it was likely picked due to the utter crappiness of UTEP and thus the inability of the game to pull a teevee audience not composed of drunken male college students looking to watch a biblical slaughter while downing beers and stuffing pizza ordered 12 hours earlier down their necks.

Still, it is football and thus, definitionally, superior to any other way to spend time.

You will note that at no time did I refer to Craig James, Hookers or the manner in which one's agency may have caused the death of the other(s). However many there are. Which likely never happened, but will live on in our mythology alongside characters like MICHAEL KENYON!!! THE ILLINOIS ENEMA BANDIT. Suitable company for CRAIG JAMES.

rock on sooner
6/14/2012, 03:33 PM
Well, that's Labor Day weekend so I guess I can sleep in...Not sure if
Fox Sports here in Iowa will have that game but, if not, it'll be Toby
and friends on the net...

Tear Down This Wall
6/14/2012, 03:46 PM
Stupid Item #1 - Scheduling a game against UTEP in El Paso in the first place.

Stupid Item #2 - Our president and AD were hugging DeLoss Dodds' nutsack to get into the Pac-12, which would have been almost nothing but late games.

badger
6/14/2012, 04:06 PM

Maybe I should have read the article I linked :P

I went back and looked and apparently the schools didn't want to play in the desert heat at the originally scheduled kickoff time of 2:30 p.m. (Oklahoma time, 1:30 p.m. El Paso time). So, 9:30 it is :(

olevetonahill
6/14/2012, 04:22 PM

I went back and looked and apparently the schools didn't want to play in the desert heat at the originally scheduled kickoff time of 2:30 p.m. (Oklahoma time, 1:30 p.m. El Paso time). So, 9:30 it is :(

Just to be clear, its 9:30 CST thats OUR time

olevetonahill
6/14/2012, 04:24 PM

deweydw
6/14/2012, 04:26 PM

Well that makes sense. Still SUCCS

FtwTxSooner
6/14/2012, 04:59 PM

9:30 CST in September would actually be 10:30 PM in Norman. As Daylight Savings Time is in effect in September, my guess the article should have read 9:30 CDT instead.

olevetonahill
6/14/2012, 05:09 PM
9:30 CST in September would actually be 10:30 PM in Norman. As Daylight Savings Time is in effect in September, my guess the article should have read 9:30 CDT instead.

Actually Sooner Sports just says 9:30 CT

LASooner
6/14/2012, 07:23 PM
What's wrong with a 7:30pm kickoff? :-P

yermom
6/14/2012, 07:30 PM
there are probably better matchups at that time on the teevee

9:30 just means it will be easier to get there on Saturday :D

cvsooner
6/14/2012, 08:11 PM
What's wrong with a 7:30pm kickoff? :-P I'm with you, pal. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. :-)

Dan Thompson
6/14/2012, 08:24 PM
USC's game must be at 4:30 pacific time.

Mazeppa
6/14/2012, 08:24 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/20j4k5z.jpg

colleyvillesooner
6/14/2012, 10:00 PM
This is karma payback for all those who bitched at all the 11:00 am kickoffs

agoo758
6/14/2012, 11:28 PM

Louisiana between april and september is ten times worse than anything the desert can produce. There's a reason why LSU home games don't start until after 6.

yermom
6/14/2012, 11:29 PM
This is karma payback for all those who bitched at all the 11:00 am kickoffs

karma, more like a reward :D

it's karma for the people bitching about 6-7PM kickoffs

agoo758
6/14/2012, 11:30 PM
11:00 am kickoffs are the ****. I hope the RRS never changes!

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2012, 12:23 AM
I'm with you, pal. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. :-)

Me three - what's wrong with 7:30?

OU_Sooners75
6/15/2012, 01:10 AM

Why not just play it at 8 AM then when it is still nice and cool?

LOL

texaspokieokie
6/15/2012, 07:30 AM
Being in the desert & at higher altitude, it will begin to cool off shortly after dark. More quickly than here (dallas county)

NMSooner'80
6/15/2012, 09:45 AM
Jeebus. I hope no stray bullets come over from Ciudad Juarzone.

The bullets from Juarez won't clear the mountain that's on the west side of the stadium. So any of us who go will benefit from geography.

I've been to a September game in the Sun Bowl. You have to have them at night.

virginiasooner
6/15/2012, 11:01 AM
What's wrong with a 7:30pm kickoff? :-P

For us, it's a 10:30 pm kickoff. We'll be skipping the watch party at Buffalo Wild Wings.

JLEW1818
6/15/2012, 12:45 PM
fire Venables

LASooner
6/15/2012, 05:26 PM
For us, it's a 10:30 pm kickoff. We'll be skipping the watch party at Buffalo Wild Wings.

I show all the Buffalo Wild Wings in Virginia either close at 1am or 2am... what exactly is stopping you?

MamaMia
6/16/2012, 07:47 PM
Well, I know who'll be sleeping in until noon on that Saturday. I'll hit the Saturday night mass, so I can sleep in on Sunday as well because theres no way that game is even going to be over until well after midnight.

LA.SoonerFan
6/16/2012, 10:16 PM
At least it will be on national television, so I'm not complaining. This actually works out perfect for me. Dove season opens that Saturday, so I'll have plenty of time to get back for the game. Looks like a great weekend. An *** wooping in the field followed by an *** wooping on the field. They obviously scheduled this around my schedule.

SoonerMom2
6/16/2012, 11:39 PM

No way do you want to play an afternoon game the 1st of September in the heat of El Paso or any place in the desert heat. I am going to the game and we would have been on the side with the sun in our faces in the middle of the afternoon and roasted. In the evening the temps will drop and it will be pleasant for football. With such low humidity, it feels much cooler pretty fast when the sun goes down. We lived in a desert climate in SoCal and at night, it would actually be chilly sometimes after being over 100 during the day.

I am all for this late time. I cannot fathom being at UTEP's stadium in the middle of the afternoon.

texaspokieokie
6/17/2012, 07:33 AM
Also, this is "hi-desert". Cools off quicker than lo-desert.

bluedogok
6/17/2012, 10:14 AM
Also, this is "hi-desert". Cools off quicker than lo-desert.
Yep, that is something that we knew about but noticed a lot more after moving to Denver from Austin this year. Last summer in Austin it was over 100 for 90 days and would hit 105-110 with regularity starting in July, the nightly lows would get to around 90 and we would wake up with 85% humidity even during an extended drought. We have had an unusually warm spring/early summer up here (in the 90's most days when the normal is around 80) but it still gets into the 50's at night. We had to put the top up on the car last night around 8:30 after the sun started going behind the mountains. It's nice that we don't have to put up with the oppressive heat/humidity like last summer in Texas.

You wouldn't want to play that game in El Paso in the afternoon in September anymore than you would want to play an afternoon game against ASU in Tempe during the afternoon the same weekend.

virginiasooner
6/17/2012, 11:16 AM
I show all the Buffalo Wild Wings in Virginia either close at 1am or 2am... what exactly is stopping you?

WAAAAAAAY past my bedtime.

radio
6/19/2012, 02:22 AM
Louisiana between april and september is ten times worse than anything the desert can produce. There's a reason why LSU home games don't start until after 6.

YOU GOT THAT **** RIGHT! Humidity sux! September is awesome in the armpit of Texas.

PrideMom
6/19/2012, 09:47 AM
I can get all of my house work done, and a round of golf in before the game starts!

KantoSooner
6/19/2012, 10:23 AM
I normally screen old games (victories, of course) before late kick offs to get everyone in the mood. But, Good Lord! Where am I going to find 5 games of proper intensity to fill out the day? And simply considering the mass drunkeness and rampaging property damage that'll start hours before that damn kickoff makes my blood run cold just thinking about it.

I'll have to lock up the good likker, hide the guns, ship the children off to relatives, chain up the dogs, offer only commodity meats and chips and set up cooling tanks in the backyard to have any chance of survival whatsoever.

Whoops! forgot about fireworks! (I'm not in mid-season form, obviously).

And that'll be before the drunken OSU fan neighbors show up to join the festivities.

What did we do to deserve this?

MamaMia
6/19/2012, 02:48 PM
I can get all of my house work done, and a round of golf in before the game starts!Sleep in too. Its going to be a long day. I'll be taping some of the early games.