KU: South Dakota State, Rice, @ Northern Illinois
KSU: Missouri State, Miami, North Texas
OU: @ UTEP, Florida A&M, Notre Dame
OSU: Savannah State, UL-LA, @ Arizona
TCU: Grambling State, Virginia, @ SMU
Tech: Northwestern State, @ Texas State, New Mexico
Texas: Wyoming, New Mexico, @ Ole Miss
WVU: Marshall, James Madison, Maryland

Which is the most embarrassing opponent? These guys ALL are. Here's some background:

UL-Monroe (Baylor): A Sun Belt team that moved to FBS in 2007, they haven't recorded a winning football season since 1993. Nickname: Warhawks

South Dakota State (KU): This Missouri Valley team moved to FBS in 2004 and has never been to a bowl game. Nickname: Jackrabbits

Western Illinois (ISU): This Missouri Valley FCS team was last in a bowl in 2003... the Pecan Bowl (loss to Colgate). It's most noted bowl appearances were in something called the Corn Bowl (no joke). Nickname: Leathernecks

Florida A&M (OU): A Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference FCS team that recently lost its band due to hazing. Nickname: Rattlers

North Texas (KSU): This Sun Belt team last went to a bowl in 2004 and had five wins last year... one less than the total they had in four Todd Dodge seasons. Nickname: Mean Green

Missouri State (KSU) : A Missouri Valley FCS team. I just wanted to acknowledge them as bad, even if their nickname is boring (Bears).

Savannah State (OSU): This Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference is bad, bad enough to be 1-10 last year. But, their nickname is boring (Tigers).

Northwestern State (Tech): A Southland Conference FCS team that had a losing record last year. Nickname: Demons

Texas State (Tech): There's a whole lot of fail here - Dennis Franchione as coach, going to the WAC then the Sun Belt in the next few seasons as they desperately try to get outta FCS and into FBS and they also have a boring nickname (Bobcats).

New Mexico (Tech, Texas): They suck, even if they are a state flagship school. They last went to a bowl in 2007, their last coach had scandal AND losing to drive him out and now they're stuck with Bob Davie. They have fewer consensus All-Americans than we have Heismans. Nickname: Lobos

Ole Miss (Texas): Proof that SEC football does suck after all. They won TWO games last year. They are the prime example of why some fan chant their conference name rather than their own name. Nickname: Rebels

So... anyways, we can go about this one of two ways... vote for the worst, or vote on which nickname you like the best. Since they all suck at football, I choose to go the later route. Should you vote for the weirdest, the most awesomest, the worst? Who cares, just pick out the one that you want to vote for. Vote away! :D

PS: Four days of anonymous voting. Vote for one and you cannot change your vote once cast.

badger
6/14/2012, 09:27 AM
I voted for the Jackrabbits... I have no idea why. It sounded fun, I guess.

badger
6/14/2012, 09:29 AM
And by only singling out the sucky opponents, I missed out on some other weird nicknames... the Virginia Wahoos, the James Madison Dukes (their logo has a doggie wearing a crown, hehe), the Marshall Thundering Herd...

texaspokieokie
6/14/2012, 09:36 AM
I'm surprised that the ACLU/NCAA hasn't forced Ole Miss to get rid of "Rebels". i like it tho, & also Tenn "Volunteere".

deweydw
6/14/2012, 09:43 AM
I went with UNT. Since my son graduated there. They are called the Mean Green. But the mascot is Scrappy the eagle.

On another note, their new stadium will hold 350 more people than the old one.

badger
6/14/2012, 10:01 AM
I went with UNT. Since my son graduated there. They are called the Mean Green. But the mascot is Scrappy the eagle.

On another note, their new stadium will hold 350 more people than the old one.

It's a long offseason. I could definitely do some mascot fun... of course, assuming that you all keep up your countdown thread duties. :D

KantoSooner
6/14/2012, 10:13 AM
The Lobos, hands down. Their own fans refer to them as 'The bobo's', 'The Nobo's' and revealingly, 'The losers'.
Must be a real help in recruiting.

cccasooner2
6/14/2012, 10:30 AM
I voted Jackrabbits because they will crush KU. Also because a niece is an alum of SDSU.

badger
6/14/2012, 10:59 AM
The Lobos, hands down. Their own fans refer to them as 'The bobo's', 'The Nobo's' and revealingly, 'The losers'.
Must be a real help in recruiting.

Wow, that's awesome. Sh!t like that which you learn from message boards is why God invented offseason. :D

Lott's Bandana
6/14/2012, 10:59 AM
Rattlers

I used to teach there, so I suppose in an indirect way I are/was one.