PDA

View Full Version : What aggravates you the most about the SEC?

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 09:08 PM
It's pretty simple for me, the winning. Kinda like the Yankees when I was growing up. However, what bothers (aggravates) me the most is the "SEC,SEC,SEC" thing. The problem is, most of the fans doing it, are fans of the mediocre or bad SEC teams. Talk about being born on third and going through life like you hit a triple!

I find that most Bama fans have been respectful. Sure, there are comments here and there, but for the most part I view Bama fans in a different light. And LSU...well, I heard so many horror stories from the BCSCG in New Orleans, that it jaded my view. But, at least they have some foundation to back up their pride.

So, with the exception of Bama, and the respect I have for the LSU program (although I hate Lester), the rest of 'em can shut it.

kbsooner21
6/11/2012, 10:33 PM
The dumas fans who have a t-shirt of every school in the conference. It's not I'm an LSU fan, or Tenn fan, it's I'm an SEC fan.

Drives me crazy!!!

SCOUT
6/11/2012, 11:11 PM
It's bandwagoning. I have a co-worker who went to Mississippi State. He can't claim that his team is any good so he heckles me about how his conference is good. Root for your team for crying out loud. Have we not learned that conference affiliation is secondary, particularly lately?

Sooner98
6/12/2012, 12:57 AM
What aggravates me the most is that virtually every time an SEC team matches up against a Big 12 team, the SEC team wins the game comfortably.

zeke
6/12/2012, 05:58 AM
What aggravates me the most is that virtually every time an SEC team matches up against a Big 12 team, the SEC team wins the game comfortably.

^THIS^

Mississippi Sooner
6/12/2012, 08:08 AM
What aggravates me the most is that when I type "SEC" on my phone, it auto-corrects to "SECOND." That's kinda funny in a way, but then I have to do the whole backspacing thing and all that, and I eventually just want to punch Les Miles.

badger
6/12/2012, 08:34 AM
What aggravates me the most is that when I type "SEC" on my phone, it auto-corrects to "SECOND." That's kinda funny in a way, but then I have to do the whole backspacing thing and all that, and I eventually just want to punch Les Miles.

Let's put that on a t-shirt when we inevitably win our NCG against one of theirs :D

Front:
soONErs

Back:
SECond

:P

Tear Down This Wall
6/12/2012, 08:38 AM

This...

...oh, and that Mizzou got our spot in the SEC because our athletic department lets DeLoss Dodds lead it around by the nose.

marfacowboy
6/12/2012, 09:46 AM
They win, but they've sold their souls in the process. You have kids reading at a 8th grade level majoring in "independent studies." It's a joke.
My daughter was an SEC athlete in track and field and the things she saw first hand, particularly in football, leave you shaking your head.

badger
6/12/2012, 10:02 AM
They win, but they've sold their souls in the process. You have kids reading at a 8th grade level majoring in "independent studies." It's a joke.
My daughter was an SEC athlete in track and field and the things she saw first hand, particularly in football, leave you shaking your head.

I can't say with 100 percent certainty that we are really holding all of our athletes to the same standards as other students, either.

While some of them were great students (ENA was in one of my senior level classes --- was always early, took his own notes and did group work and everything), I also recall us being given a one question essay final in a class, and a student-athlete who apparently didn't read the book begged me for some ideas on what to write down.

marfacowboy
6/12/2012, 10:12 AM
I can't say with 100 percent certainty that we are really holding all of our athletes to the same standards as other students, either.

While some of them were great students (ENA was in one of my senior level classes --- was always early, took his own notes and did group work and everything), I also recall us being given a one question essay final in a class, and a student-athlete who apparently didn't read the book begged me for some ideas on what to write down.

I'm sure we're not. But I don't get upset about SEC dominance, because I know how they're getting there. I don't think it's as widespread in the Big 12. I know they're the enemy, but I don't think Mack Brown runs his program like LSU runs their program.

badger
6/12/2012, 10:19 AM
because I know how they're getting there.

Sadly, they seem to be grayshirting and dumping low on-field performers from scholly. :(

marfacowboy
6/12/2012, 10:26 AM
Sadly, they seem to be grayshirting and dumping low on-field performers from scholly. :(

The bottom line is it's now an enterprise level business. Any discussion about "the scholar-athlete" is largely a joke. The universities need the money. At schools like UT Knoxville, the football program funds ALL of the graduate TA's. It's like holding a wolf by the ears. You don't like it, but you don't dare let it go.

badger
6/12/2012, 10:43 AM
It's like holding a wolf by the ears. You don't like it, but you don't dare let it go.

I totally saw someone grab a horseshoe crab by the base of its tail (it apparently had barbs on the end of it) right outta the ocean. As soon as she let go, it apparently was going haywire around someone nearby. Fortunately, no stings.

Funny creatures, horseshoe crabs. Here's a NSFW shot of them:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f8/Horseshoe_crab_mating.jpg/800px-Horseshoe_crab_mating.jpg

:eek:

ouwasp
6/12/2012, 12:02 PM
That they only play an 8-game conference sked. Man up and play a 9-game conference schedule.

But the most irritating issue presently in cfb is the pompous attitude the B1G/Pac have about their sacred Rosy Bowl. Imo. of course.

8timechamps
6/12/2012, 03:18 PM
Does anyone else think the SEC dominance will end when all their misdoings catch up with them? It appears (via the media) that the discipline level at most SEC schools (as it relates to athletes) is on par with a bachelor party, or worse. Seriously, given the numerous "grey shirts", legal issues and claims of rule breaking, don't you think it'll end up biting them in the ***.

They've had a really impressive run, seriously. But, I tend to think things are becoming more transparent (especially with the play-offs becoming a reality). Eventually, the **** that is allowed to go on in the SEC will not be tolerated. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact the Cam Newton's dad sold his son's services to highest bidder, and nothing ever came of it. Nothing of real consequence.

badger
6/12/2012, 04:18 PM
Does anyone else think the SEC dominance will end when all their misdoings catch up with them?

Perhaps it's just my naive little conscience, but I don't think that bad deeds go unpunished forever, even if they get to have a little bit of fun for awhile.

Think of seeing that little twerp Shapiro having full run of the Miami sidelines, rubbing elbows with future pro players and living it up on borrowed money... on borrowed time. And think of all the players that took the money he gave them, not thinking that there would ever be any consequences to taking it.

Miami is now too afraid to even let boosters host players for meals. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2012-01-16/nevin-shapiro-miami-ncaa-violations-boosters/52593830/1)

texaspokieokie
6/12/2012, 05:15 PM
nothing at all.

LASooner
6/12/2012, 06:03 PM
That everyone in the SEC thinks that because Alabama won the national championship that THEY did.

Sabanball
6/12/2012, 06:12 PM
This...

...oh, and that Mizzou got our spot in the SEC because our athletic department lets DeLoss Dodds lead it around by the nose.

Bingo.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/12/2012, 06:44 PM
...the most irritating issue presently in cfb is the pompous attitude the B1G/Pac have about their sacred Rosy Bowl. Imo. of course.This is my #1 complaint.

#2 is the SEC,SEC,SEC,SEC, SEC, ETC chant if/one of their teams wins a game.

arcman46
6/12/2012, 08:11 PM
This...

I like the Big 12 and didn't want to see us move anywhere, but I would have much rather have seen us go to the PAC then to the SEC

delhalew
6/12/2012, 08:58 PM
Bingo.

You don't want to hitch yourself to that wagon.

Sabanball
6/12/2012, 10:42 PM
You don't want to hitch yourself to that wagon.

Lol....really? Gosh... delahew, I need for you tell me why not.

delhalew
6/13/2012, 04:50 PM
Lol....really? Gosh... delahew, I need for you tell me why not.

While I would have accepted the SEC, it would be awfully arrogant of you to suggest our area of the country doesn't rate having our own conference. We don't need to be rescued by the SEC, contrary to what a few of our butt hurt fans, who believe everything Chip Brown reports, may believe.

HAMTTX
6/13/2012, 05:44 PM
The only thing that bothers me about the SEC is the new fans they seem to have that will not shut up. To all of their fans who have supported their teams loyally over the years, I have nothing but good things to say. As all of you know, things go in cycles and this will too.

6/13/2012, 05:58 PM
The only thing that bothers me about the SEC is the new fans they seem to have that will not shut up. To all of their fans who have supported their teams loyally over the years, I have nothing but good things to say. As all of you know, things go in cycles and this(SEC) will too.We can hope, at least.

8timechamps
6/13/2012, 11:35 PM
The only thing that bothers me about the SEC is the new fans they seem to have that will not shut up. To all of their fans who have supported their teams loyally over the years, I have nothing but good things to say. As all of you know, things go in cycles and this will too.

I've found that most of the long-time/loyal fans are the respectful ones. It's the nut job fans that make the most noise (of course that could be said about any fanbase).

BBQ Man
6/14/2012, 11:20 AM
While I would have accepted the SEC, it would be awfully arrogant of you to suggest our area of the country doesn't rate having our own conference. We don't need to be rescued by the SEC, contrary to what a few of our butt hurt fans, who believe everything Chip Brown reports, may believe.

For me, it's not about the area not deserving a conference or needing to be rescued. Its simply that as much as it hurts to say it because the Big 12 is great (at least on the field), the SEC is simply the best conference. OU would have boosted the SEC even more and we'd be playing games against Arkansas, LSU, A&M, Alabama, Auburn every year and rotate through teams like Georgia, Tennessee and Florida.

I understand not everyone wants it, but I'm jealous of, happy for and mad at Missouri for getting to join A&M over there.

jumperstop
6/14/2012, 12:10 PM
It's the fact they care more about conference than their school/team. When Bama was about to win the softball title I saw tons of SEC signs being waved around and no Bama signs....so no Bama is not exempt from the gayness that goes on. Your team is about to win the title and all you can think about is which conference you belong to? I know a team from the SEC hadn't won one or something like that, but give me a break....those other teams had nothing to do with the game between them and OU.

In my opinion, it's a just a way for a whole bunch of retards in the south to relive the confederate "the south will rise again" without acctually rising...

6/14/2012, 12:31 PM
It's the fact they care more about conference than their school/team. When Bama was about to win the softball title I saw tons of SEC signs being waved around and no Bama signs....so no Bama is not exempt from the gayness that goes on. Your team is about to win the title and all you can think about is which conference you belong to? I know a team from the SEC hadn't won one or something like that, but give me a break....those other teams had nothing to do with the game between them and OU.

In my opinion, it's a just a way for a whole bunch of retards in the south to relive the confederate "the south will rise again" without acctually rising...You nailed it!

But, all the SEC,SEC,SEC etc. hoopla doesn't P me O as much as the Big 10 and Pac 16 hawging the Rose Bowl, their arrogance, and ability to prevent other leagues from playing there.

BoulderSooner79
6/14/2012, 01:00 PM
The SEC is beating us at our own game. In the old Big8, it was the winner of OU/NU that had a good shot at a MNC. In the Big12, it morphed into the OU/UT winner. The SEC used to have more depth and that hurt them as they beat each other up. More recently, they have had that 2 elite team situation with the winner taking it all. They have rotated which teams are elite between, Bama, UF, Auburn and LSU. But that top to bottom depth is a myth or you wouldn't see them have undefeated champs. I'm not saying it's planned, it's just worked out that way. They are still the best conference because that elite 2 have been the best in the country, but they are not top to bottom better than the big12 (IMO, of course).

BBQ Man
6/14/2012, 01:10 PM
the Big 10 and Pac 16 hawging the Rose Bowl, their arrogance

Amen!

badger
6/14/2012, 01:17 PM
A&M needed to join the SEC, because they're convinced that the Big 12 is the Bevo Conference, and no way in hell they're chanting "Be-vo! Be-vo!" :rcmad:

Mac94
6/14/2012, 03:06 PM
Being one of the newcomers over there I get the sense that the SEC is kind of like an old southern clannish disfunctional family. The SEC is an old conference with a number of schools that have had a relationship that goes back a long time. And, it is an old conference in a part of the country that's very much God, family, country, and football. As such, with such familarity and ties they fight amoungst themselves meanier than the craziest families you might see on an episode of cops ... BUT .... they'll unite against any outsider that dares take on one of their own "kin." There seems to be very much that kinfolk "family" kinda thing but they will tear each other apart ... as they say ... family fights best.

6/14/2012, 06:45 PM
Sec has a large population of high quality athletes, and a tradition of football, with lots of weather that is conducive to playing the game. They are set up for success, due to the number of available players. The way they crow and boast the league is authentically obnoxious, though, for sure.

MamaMia
6/17/2012, 06:18 PM
I hate all the better weather they get to play in. Better weather means less injuries.

Frozen Sooner
6/17/2012, 06:24 PM
I find that most Bama fans have been respectful. Sure, there are comments here and there, but for the most part I view Bama fans in a different light. And LSU...well, I heard so many horror stories from the BCSCG in New Orleans, that it jaded my view. But, at least they have some foundation to back up their pride.

So, with the exception of Bama, and the respect I have for the LSU program (although I hate Lester), the rest of 'em can shut it.

Living in the heart of 'Bammer country for the last three years, I can assure you that the run of the mill 'Bammer is just as big an ******* and will also chant S-E-C at the drop of a hat. You'd have thought they won the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

ashley
6/17/2012, 07:22 PM
Aggies that think they will out recruit everyone in the country because the are now in the SEC.

picasso
6/18/2012, 04:40 PM
I'm aggravated by all of the speed they have. It was even tough catching girls in Arkansas.

6/18/2012, 04:59 PM
I'm aggravated by all of the speed they have. It was even tough catching girls in Arkansas.Did you not use the Eau de Boss-Hogg?