PDA

View Full Version : Melatonin...

Turd_Ferguson
6/11/2012, 08:15 PM
Any of you fly'n dickwheels ever tried this? I've been using a prescription sleep aid that was working pretty well, but my Quack suggested that I try this as to not get addicted. Appreciate any info you may have.

olevetonahill
6/11/2012, 08:17 PM
Never heard of it, WTF is it?

Turd_Ferguson
6/11/2012, 08:19 PM
An herbal sleep aid. My sleep pattern has gotten completely funked up...

olevetonahill
6/11/2012, 08:23 PM
An herbal sleep aid. My sleep pattern has gotten completely funked up...
Let me know if it werks, Mines been ****ed up for 40 years
The Docs give me stuff that def. put me out. only Prob I cant wake If I need to and that aint right.

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 08:25 PM
If it says "helps you sleep", I've tried it.

I had no luck with Melatonin. Literally did nothing. Some people say it works, so give it a try.

I use Ambien exclusively, as it's the only thing that really works when I need to take something. I can use Benedryl as an over-the-counter sleep aid, but I always feel like **** the next day.

olevetonahill
6/11/2012, 08:27 PM
I ordered me some Mulberry tea, got to drankin a cup of that sweetened with honey before bed. It did relax enough to help me fall asleep but just as soon as a noise would wake me it was all over fer the night

cleller
6/11/2012, 08:30 PM
I've used it, and valerian root for years. I worked the graveyard shift for 22 years, which can really screw you up, so I've researched sleep topics a bunch.
For the "natural" substance route there's valerian root, which is an herb that has calming, relaxing effect, or melatonin. Melatonin is a chemical that the body produces that induces sleep. As you age your body produces less and less melatonin, so your sleep less.

For me personally, I'll take 2-3 valerian root capsules before bed on occasion, and it helps you to get to sleep a little quicker. Melatonin used to come in 1mg or 3mg tablets, but now I only see 3mg tablets at the store. From what I've read less is better on this.

I'd say to try each and see what you think. If you have real trouble try 3mg melatonin and a couple of valerian root caps, you might be surprised how much they help. I like this method much better than diphenhydramine (benadryl) which is in most other the counter sleep aids.

Neither melatonin or valerian seems very strong or addictive to me. More like the "warm milk" effect. Another good trick: physically work yourself tired a few hours before bed.

Turd_Ferguson
6/11/2012, 08:38 PM
physically work yourself tired a few hours before bed.I'll pass this along to the ol' lady...she'll be calling you to chew your *** out...:D

cleller
6/11/2012, 08:38 PM
I use Ambien exclusively, as it's the only thing that really works when I need to take something. I can use Benedryl as an over-the-counter sleep aid, but I always feel like **** the next day.

Listen dog, I don't mess with Ambien. My ex-ole buddy Tiger used to preach to me how much he liked Ambien. He'd say, "It will toss you like a Salad-Shooter". I told him I was worried my wife would find out.
"Wife, schwife" he'd say. "I know how to keep my wife's nose in her own business."

Can you find someone at work to cover for you while you nap?

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 08:40 PM
I've used it, and valerian root for years. I worked the graveyard shift for 22 years, which can really screw you up, so I've researched sleep topics a bunch.
For the "natural" substance route there's valerian root, which is an herb that has calming, relaxing effect, or melatonin. Melatonin is a chemical that the body produces that induces sleep. As you age your body produces less and less melatonin, so your sleep less.

For me personally, I'll take 2-3 valerian root capsules before bed on occasion, and it helps you to get to sleep a little quicker. Melatonin used to come in 1mg or 3mg tablets, but now I only see 3mg tablets at the store. From what I've read less is better on this.

I'd say to try each and see what you think. If you have real trouble try 3mg melatonin and a couple of valerian root caps, you might be surprised how much they help. I like this method much better than diphenhydramine (benadryl) which is in most other the counter sleep aids.

Neither melatonin or valerian seems very strong or addictive to me. More like the "warm milk" effect. Another good trick: physically work yourself tired a few hours before bed.

Maybe I'll have to give the valerian root a try. That's something I've never used.

Fraggle145
6/11/2012, 08:42 PM
Valerian root always gave me ****ed up dreams. I tried some Dream water and that **** knocked me the **** out. I was reading my book, and then I woke up the next day. But I was kinda groggy.

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 08:42 PM
Listen dog, I don't mess with Ambien. My ex-ole buddy Tiger used to preach to me how much he liked Ambien. He'd say, "It will toss you like a Salad-Shooter". I told him I was worried my wife would find out.
"Wife, schwife" he'd say. "I know how to keep my wife's nose in her own business."

Can you find someone at work to cover for you while you nap?

There are tons of stories about folks and Ambien. I avoid all of that (whenever I take it) by getting into bed, taking care of any *ahem* bidness that I need to conduct with my woman, set my alarm, then take the Ambien.

I have a few Ambien stories. I think I posted a couple here a while back. Anyway, I learned my lesson.

Turd_Ferguson
6/11/2012, 08:43 PM
If it says "helps you sleep", I've tried it.

I had no luck with Melatonin. Literally did nothing. Some people say it works, so give it a try.

I use Ambien exclusively, as it's the only thing that really works when I need to take something. I can use Benedryl as an over-the-counter sleep aid, but I always feel like **** the next day.I tried Benedryl a few months ago...I have never, ever ever ever felt so hung over and had every tiny bit of moisture removed from my mouth as when I took that crap. Ambien is what I've been taking, and it works great. 6-8 hours of sleep without waking up during the night and no hungover feeling when I do wake up...I just don't want to get addicted...might not have any choice.

olevetonahill
6/11/2012, 08:49 PM
I tried Benedryl a few months ago...I have never, ever ever ever felt so hung over and had every tiny bit of moisture removed from my mouth as when I took that crap. Ambien is what I've been taking, and it works great. 6-8 hours of sleep without waking up during the night and no hungover feeling when I do wake up...I just don't want to get addicted...might not have any choice.

Whats the side effects?
Ya get regular sleep?

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 08:55 PM
I tried Benedryl a few months ago...I have never, ever ever ever felt so hung over and had every tiny bit of moisture removed from my mouth as when I took that crap. Ambien is what I've been taking, and it works great. 6-8 hours of sleep without waking up during the night and no hungover feeling when I do wake up...I just don't want to get addicted...might not have any choice.

Benedryl is a last resort for me if I want something over-the-counter...for the very reasons you listed.

I've talked in depth with my doctor about Ambien. He assures me there is no negative long-term use effects. In his words "if it works, there is no proof that it will hurt you long term, so take it". I'm sure not every doctor would agree, but my doc has no problems with it.

I've suffered from insomnia since I was a teenager, and Ambien is the only thing that really works for me. I just don't take it every night. In the past, if I've taken it for a week, I have trouble the first couple of nights after (like no sleep at all). If I take it for a couple of days, or even a day, then wait a few day (or the next time I just can't sleep), I'm fine.

Turd_Ferguson
6/11/2012, 09:00 PM
Whats the side effects?
Ya get regular sleep?Ya need it every night to be able to go to sleep...pay tention.

Turd_Ferguson
6/11/2012, 09:03 PM
Benedryl is a last resort for me if I want something over-the-counter...for the very reasons you listed.

I've talked in depth with my doctor about Ambien. He assures me there is no negative long-term use effects. In his words "if it works, there is no proof that it will hurt you long term, so take it". I'm sure not every doctor would agree, but my doc has no problems with it.

I've suffered from insomnia since I was a teenager, and Ambien is the only thing that really works for me. I just don't take it every night. In the past, if I've taken it for a week, I have trouble the first couple of nights after (like no sleep at all). If I take it for a couple of days, or even a day, then wait a few day (or the next time I just can't sleep), I'm fine.Thanks for the insight, I'm just concerned, like I told Howard, I don't want to get to the point where I have to have it in order to go to sleep...That would suck and would be expensive as well...

olevetonahill
6/11/2012, 09:07 PM
Ya need it every night to be able to go to sleep...pay tention.
Well ya Dumas, If ya aint sleepin NOW and ya need it whats the ****in difference ?

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 09:09 PM
Well ya Dumas, If ya aint sleepin NOW and ya need it whats the ****in difference ?

You really can't argue with that logic Turd!

cleller
6/11/2012, 09:10 PM
The saddest part is there was a time when we all never gave a thought to planning our sleep patterns, as we were too focused on our conquests.

A conquest was something to plan for. Sleep? Worrying over sleep? We all knew what made you sleepy.

Turd_Ferguson
6/11/2012, 09:20 PM
Well ya Dumas, If ya aint sleepin NOW and ya need it whats the ****in difference ?Quit run'n your mouth and brew some more jelly, since somebody stolt my pint ya gave me:culpability:

olevetonahill
6/11/2012, 09:22 PM
Quit run'n your mouth and brew some more jelly, since somebody stolt my pint ya gave me:culpability:
So you about as smart as that broad that conned the Tax folk out of 2 mil, then got caught cause she was stupid .:watermelon:

Turd_Ferguson
6/11/2012, 09:33 PM
So you about as smart as that broad that conned the Tax folk out of 2 mil, then got caught cause she was stupid .:watermelon:Anytime I get caught...it's cause I was stupid...pay tention:D

3rdgensooner
6/11/2012, 09:33 PM
Melatonin is a chemical that the body produces that induces sleep. As you age your body produces less and less melatonin, so your sleep less.
Yeah, I don't think it falls into the "herbal" supplement category.

I've never had any difficulty sleeping. But when I recently changed jobs, I needed to start getting to bed earlier. I've used Melatonin many times and I can definitely feel it kick in and help me sleep more quickly and soundly. Contrary to the above, the dose I'm currently using is 5mg.

I don't use it every night but I have heard that if you take it every night, it is good to take a break every 6 weeks or so.

Eielson
6/11/2012, 09:35 PM
Melatonin works, but you don't want to use it, or any other sleep aid, as a nightly thing. It works best when you take 5 mg 30-60 minutes before bed for a few days to get your sleep patterns right. After that, I know you won't want to hear this, but you just need to do more "natural" things like; remove TV/computer/electronics from bedroom, lower temperature in house, go to sleep at similar time every night, don't use electronics right before bed, find a routine such as reading before bed, etc. There are a million different things I could list, but you can just as easily google them.

But yes, melatonin does work. The more you use, the more tired it makes you, but the harder it is for you to get up in the morning. I use 5 mg when something has completely jacked up my sleep patterns and there is no way I will get to sleep when I want. If I'm just not quite tired enough, I'll probably use closer to 3 mg.

cleller
6/11/2012, 09:45 PM
Who'd have thought a thread entitled "Melatonin" could be so hot? This is not an ego booster. "Fiber" could be the next big winner.

Turd_Ferguson
6/11/2012, 10:02 PM
Who'd have thought a thread entitled "Melatonin" could be so hot? This is not an ego booster. "Fiber" could be the next big winner.Don't try to **** on my parade...OV had a birthday thread that went about 97k pages a few years ago...I'm trying to out do him:bi_polo:

olevetonahill
6/11/2012, 10:21 PM
Don't try to **** on my parade...OV had a birthday thread that went about 97k pages a few years ago...I'm trying to out do him:bi_polo:
Heh. Speakin of which got another coming up next month. Doubt we will ever hit that record again tho

Turd_Ferguson
6/11/2012, 10:50 PM
Heh. Speakin of which got another coming up next month. Doubt we will ever hit that record again thoHeh. They said we couldn't...and by God we did...didn't we:D

olevetonahill
6/11/2012, 10:59 PM
Heh. They said we couldn't...and by God we did...didn't we:D

Heh,
what was it well over 1000 posts that night 40 er 50 pages

yermom
6/11/2012, 11:31 PM
red and blue tuinals, lipstick-red seconals

chew some valerian root and get more exercise

yermom
6/11/2012, 11:53 PM
on a serious note, have you tried breathing?

it sounds like a dumb question, but i've read the same beginning instructions to relieving stress, slowing your heart rate, controlling pain, and lucid dreaming. basically breathing deeply in through your nose, and out of your mouth, just focusing on that action for a few minutes. i've actually tried it with things like a toothache and insomnia. it takes a fair amount of patience though.

i'm generally not one for drugs very often, so i'm not one to pop pills, etc... to try to sleep. if i did, cannabis is a pretty good one :)

Cheerin' 4 OU
6/12/2012, 12:00 AM
Firstly, I need to mention that for over 20 years, I had horrible sleeping problems and finally (just last year at Christmas time) decided to start seeing a sleep doctor at Integris. The doc, himself, isn't the nicest of people, but he knows his stuff about sleep and has been the only doctor that's ever been able to help me sleep.

I use melatonin fairly regularly right now and I can tell you that it's the absolute only thing I've used that has ever allowed me to sleep in a predictable manner. I used to take melatonin when I was going to OU 20ish years ago and it was really fantastic, but I had heard some terrible things about how it would most likely kill me and turn me into a seal-eating zombie that tortured little old ladies with chest hair, so, I gave it up. When I started taking it again a couple of decades later, I found that it just wasn't working for me.

I told Dr Evil Integris Man about my history with melatonin and how it just didn't work for me any more, and he roughly told me that I was full of crap and didn't use melatonin properly and then he proceeded to give me a buncha sleep diaries to keep up with and taught me how to properly use the melatonin.

Turns out that Dr Evil Integris Man was correct: I was using my melatonin improperly. He had stated that in order to use melatonin properly, I needed to take it 3-4 hours before I wanted to be asleep. He gave me buncha information about how it works and taught me about sleep cycles and all of that. So, the day I started taking the melatonin 3 hours before I needed to be asleep, I actually had no problems falling asleep (even after napping earlier), and actually waking up feeling completely refreshed.

He never said anything about getting off of it for a couple of weeks after a period of taking it regularly, but due to putting myself on a very regular sleeping pattern, and getting rid of the tv in my bedroom (I turn out the light at a certain time and close my eyes instead of reading a book or watching tv), I've found that I really don't have to take it every single day. I think I use it once or twice a month now and it's awesome.

Blue
6/12/2012, 12:53 AM
Ive heard melatonin had something to do with adjusting hormones. Once they adjust you are immune to it and it doesnt work anymore?

I used to take it and i found that I did build a tolerance to it. Worked good for a little while though.

Luckily now I dont need sleep aides. Just needed to get up earlier and be more active. heh.

Frozen Sooner
6/12/2012, 08:02 AM
I've tried it a few times. All it did was give me the dry heaves in the morning.

OULenexaman
6/12/2012, 08:35 AM
Ambien should have a warning label that includes "if bedroom is up stairs and you want to sleep in bed...do not take while downstairs having a beer."

C&CDean
6/12/2012, 09:41 AM
You people. Here's what you do to get a good night's sleep:

Pay your bills. Don't lie. Don't steal. Don't cheat. Don't gossip. Don't kill anyone (except the ocassional hooker). Pray. Work hard. Very hard.

Works for me. If you can lay down knowing you didn't hurt anyone, don't owe anyone, are thankful God gave you another beautiful day to breathe in fresh air, and that you've given a solid day's work then sleeping comes easy.

OULenexaman
6/12/2012, 10:05 AM
but sometimes even when all that is done.....along comes an agency known as the IRS. Even if you have done nothing wrong....they will **** up a sleep pattern.

sappstuf
6/12/2012, 10:08 AM
Bad news for Ambien(zolpidem) users...

Results As predicted, patients prescribed any hypnotic had substantially elevated hazards of dying compared to those prescribed no hypnotics. For groups prescribed 0.4–18, 18–132 and >132 doses/year, HRs (95% CIs) were 3.60 (2.92 to 4.44), 4.43 (3.67 to 5.36) and 5.32 (4.50 to 6.30), respectively, demonstrating a dose–response association. HRs were elevated in separate analyses for several common hypnotics, including zolpidem, temazepam, eszopiclone, zaleplon, other benzodiazepines, barbiturates and sedative antihistamines. Hypnotic use in the upper third was associated with a significant elevation of incident cancer; HR=1.35 (95% CI 1.18 to 1.55). Results were robust within groups suffering each comorbidity, indicating that the death and cancer hazards associated with hypnotic drugs were not attributable to pre-existing disease.

Conclusions Receiving hypnotic prescriptions was associated with greater than threefold increased hazards of death even when prescribed <18 pills/year. This association held in separate analyses for several commonly used hypnotics and for newer shorter-acting drugs. Control of selective prescription of hypnotics for patients in poor health did not explain the observed excess mortality.

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000850.full?sid=f0956753-511d-4e70-9230-c1e8aa5df0d3

TheHumanAlphabet
6/12/2012, 10:10 AM
Only stuff I use to help with jet lag and sleep time problems. All natural...

Tulsa_Fireman
6/12/2012, 10:55 AM
Some Ambien users sleepwalk.

But it's a weird sleepwalk, where you actually go through the motions of your day, out colder than a welldigger's ***. It's creepy. Folks have started driving, cooking, all kinds of serious shizz when being conked out on Ambien.

So yeah, stay away from that hoodoo. It's bad news.

Scott D
6/12/2012, 12:03 PM
I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead

8timechamps
6/12/2012, 03:43 PM
Bad news for Ambien(zolpidem) users...

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000850.full?sid=f0956753-511d-4e70-9230-c1e8aa5df0d3

Doesn't worry me at all.

Bad news for those of us that need it, or can't sleep like the rest of you:

It found that those who generally slept for less than six hours a night were 12% more likely to experience a premature death over a period of 25 years than those who consistently got six to eight hours' sleep. Evidence for the link was unequivocal, the researchers concluded

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/may/05/sleep-study-premature-death

8timechamps
6/12/2012, 03:46 PM
Some Ambien users sleepwalk.

But it's a weird sleepwalk, where you actually go through the motions of your day, out colder than a welldigger's ***. It's creepy. Folks have started driving, cooking, all kinds of serious shizz when being conked out on Ambien.

So yeah, stay away from that hoodoo. It's bad news.

The people that sleepwalk/drive/eat, etc. do so because they don't follow the directions. It's not like an over the counter sleep aid, or even pain medication. It starts to work about 5 minutes after ingestion. If you're not in bed, ready to sleep, then you shouldn't take it. Otherwise, you'll wake up on the couch, with a half-eaten pizza (that you don't remember having delivered) and a bill for two OnDemand movies (not porn unfortunately) that you don't remember watching.

Eielson
6/12/2012, 05:35 PM
I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead

Not if I find your corpse.

MsProudSooner
6/12/2012, 10:30 PM
I've taken a combination of Melatonin and Benadryl for several years. Take it a couple of hours before you want to fall asleep. Works great for me.

Scott D
6/13/2012, 01:36 PM
Not if I find your corpse.

good thing my will stipulates there be no corpse rotting.

SoonerBread
6/13/2012, 02:36 PM
I'm a shiftworker, rotating 12-hour shifts. I've used Ambien in the past and didn't like the results. I use melatonin. I don't use it every day, only when I want to ensure good, restful sleep, especially after rotating from night shift to day shift. Melatonin is the only thing that doesn't leave me hungover, and the Ambien caused me to act like a fruitloop. It had nothing to do with whether or not I was in bed when I took it. I never felt rested, even though I had slept through the night. I usually sleep-walked (slept-walked? idk...) even without having taken it on the couch or whatever else someone wants to dream up as a reason for it making them cooky.

I can tell you only that having used Ambien for 7 years, I found myself relying on it in increasingly disturbing patterns. Whether or not that's because I had built up a tolerance to it or had become familiar with its effects, who knows. Melatonin is all I use now. My room is dark and cold, with white noise in the background. No phones, no tv on, no light creeping in. Combine that with the melatonin, and I can sleep through the day after having worked 12 hours and getting off at 5 am. Before a day shift (5 am to 5 pm), when I need to be in bed by 8 pm so I can wake up between 3 and 3:30 am, I take it around 6 pm or so. ****'s allsome. It works every time and doesn't make me walk around the house naked. I can definitely sleep without it, but it helps the sleep cycle begin natually and keeps my circadian rhythm as regular as it can be working the stupid hours I do. It's not for everyone, just as Ambien isn't. But in my experience, I can take it with the confidence it will work and there have been zero side-effects thus far.

swardboy
6/13/2012, 07:49 PM
Actually the "white noise" can be very helpful for those of you experiencing sleep difficulties. Dr. Swardie says "Try it" if you haven't yet.

Frozen Sooner
6/13/2012, 08:48 PM
BTW, if any of you suffer from the beetus, be VERY careful about using melatonin. Like "Talk to your doctor first" careful.

olevetonahill
6/13/2012, 08:52 PM
BTW, if any of you suffer from the beetus, be VERY careful about using melatonin. Like "Talk to your doctor first" careful.

Thats good to know

8timechamps
6/13/2012, 11:49 PM
Thats good to know

Very good to know!

What is "the beetus"?

SanJoaquinSooner
6/14/2012, 02:22 AM
Go to bed and get some sleep!

Frozen Sooner
6/14/2012, 07:14 AM
Thats good to know

Yeah. I'm obviously not a doctor, but apparently in diabetics melatonin can interfere with insulin production. So sayeth the Mayo Clinic.

Very good to know!

What is "the beetus"?

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/115/diabeetus.jpg

C&CDean
6/14/2012, 03:44 PM
Wilford Brimley = Olevet without the hair/beard. Heh.