PDA

View Full Version : Bold predictions 2012:

goingoneight
6/11/2012, 12:16 AM
Everyone on a message board, OU "insiders" included are known for talking out their azz. Let's face it, we know what gets reported; but we don't know what's actually going to happen. That said, it's time to put all yer azzes to the test. Let's keep it Sooner-related if we can. I don't expect people to know anymore about West Virginia or TCU than the 2% that they know about the team they love. Outsiders are welcome to their opinions on OU as well as their own teams. Knowledge is power and off-season is suck.

Offensively (where people pay the most attention), I think there is a great amount of fans who see Trey Metoyer as college football's next big thing at the receiver position-- not just Oklahoma's next.

My bold prediction is that he's not the only guy who will steal headlines. With the recent suspensions and likely redshirts for some (Kameel Jackson, possibly Trey Franks), we're left with not only approximately two open starting WR positions, but three backup spots if'n you recognize OU's offense for what it's been for years now (featuring three receivers). I've watched all the youtube and scout film that I could find and I just don't see how a certain somebody from February's recruiting haul won't be really good right away in a lot of what we typically used Broyles and Murray for.

http://youtu.be/4zjoo3wJZLg

Please excuse the horrible music. Not my video. However, I think it illustrates why Norvell keeps dropping this guy's name everytime he's asked about his 2012 receiving corps.

Part of my prediction is that he steals the punt return duties as well. His vision is perhaps better than his impressive speed and hands in every video I've seen.

Defensively (where we're all hoping Mike Stoops is building a sleeping giant), I could go with the obvious prediction that Tony Jefferson is going to be a superstar at FS where he appears to be more naturally suited to play. But I won't... because I literally expect TJ to shine if he's healthy all year at FS. My bold prediction is that with TJ at FS, seldom-used senior Joseph Ibiloye breaks out in his first year as a featured starter in the Roybacker position. He seems like one of those guys who just makes plays when he's out there; but rarely gets out there to do his thing (mostly because of Keenan Clayton and TJ playing ahead of him before).

All predictions are provided a clean, healthy campaign and are worth as much as fool's gold at this point.

Eielson
6/11/2012, 12:25 AM
Landry has a great year, but gets blamed for all shortcomings of the team.

Oh wait...

Widescreen
6/11/2012, 12:30 AM
I hope Metoyer has a Sammy Watkins-esque freshman year. I really think he can do that.

goingoneight
6/11/2012, 11:47 AM
Oh, Metoyer's for real. I wasn't downplaying him. I just believe Neal has the talent and seems to have the "want to" to make a big splash as well.

cccasooner2
6/11/2012, 03:17 PM
Eric Striker will nail down one of the LB positions by the KSU game and will lead the team in tackles and TFLs in that game. He will lead in sacks and TFLs versus TT.

Edit: An addition that for some reason does not appear in his bio. He was a 1st team AA selection by SI on a team that won the state 6A crown (biggest schools in FL). http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/highschool/12/15/high-school-all-america-team/index.html

Sr. Highlights #19

kkDej_cEYo4

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 03:34 PM
Durron Neal should have been more of a household name coming out of high school than he was. The reason? He happened to be from the same state as the purported "best" recruit (also a WR), Dorial Green-Beckham.

I've watched footage on both players, and outside of the size advantage DGB has, I think Neal is the better receiver. I'm not saying that because I'm a homer, I'm saying it based on the overall package (hands. speed, route running, blocking, and size). Neal has all of the tools to make a major impact at the next level (and the one after that). The only thing Neal needs is time. How soon he adjusts to the speed at the collegiate level will determine how soon he becomes a major contributor for us.

I have a couple of bold predictions for this years squad:

1. Chaz Nelson: will be a playmaker on defense. The JuCo transfer has come in a little under the radar, and I know it's hard to get too hyped over a JuCo transfer. However, I think Nelson will earn playing time early, and never look back. The kid may not be the biggest d-lineman we have, but he may be the smartest. BJW has already said that he just doesn't make mistakes and he brings a great level of toughness to the team.

2. Brennan Clay: It's time for Brennan to step up and stand out. I think this is the year he does it. This will be the first year that Clay (knock on wood) enters the season at 100%. He has the speed and skill to make defenses worry, and I think has the mind-set to make a difference this year.

It'll be interesting to look back on these and see how we did as the season goes along.

goingoneight
6/11/2012, 07:52 PM
Clay reminds me of Chris Brown. Not elusive, but he does all the right things and is effective when he's healthy. The team could definitely be successful running the ball if they'd just commit to it. IMO, that's why Sam's offense was so much better than Landry's have been. Sam played a lot off of play-action. If you look at 2010, when we ran it at least a little better, Landry was much more effective. The 2010 BIG 12 CCG bootleg keeper he ran would be sniffed out in an instant in November 2011. :(

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 08:04 PM
Clay reminds me of Chris Brown. Not elusive, but he does all the right things and is effective when he's healthy. The team could definitely be successful running the ball if they'd just commit to it. IMO, that's why Sam's offense was so much better than Landry's have been. Sam played a lot off of play-action. If you look at 2010, when we ran it at least a little better, Landry was much more effective. The 2010 BIG 12 CCG bootleg keeper he ran would be sniffed out in an instant in November 2011. :(

If I was frustrated with anything last season, it was the (lack of) commitment to the running game. Maybe it was as simple as Dom going down and us not having the backs to pick up the pace. But, to me, it seemed like we were a pass-first offense. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't looked at any stats. Of course, going from a back like Murray, to a walk-on, to a back up running back committee could have a lot to do with it. Either way, I'm expecting bigger things out of this years backs.

BoulderSooner79
6/12/2012, 10:09 AM
If I was frustrated with anything last season, it was the (lack of) commitment to the running game. Maybe it was as simple as Dom going down and us not having the backs to pick up the pace. But, to me, it seemed like we were a pass-first offense. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't looked at any stats. Of course, going from a back like Murray, to a walk-on, to a back up running back committee could have a lot to do with it. Either way, I'm expecting bigger things out of this years backs.

We have a pass-first offense by design and that's certainly not going to change this season with a 5th year QB. By pass-first (or run-first) I mean the aspect of the offense that you think you can succeed with when the other guy knows it's coming. That was certainly true when we had the Jones to Broyles connection. That doesn't mean you don't run, it just means the run game has to be dangerous if the other guy gambles you won't run and you cross them up. That was also true last season for the 6 or so games we had Whaley.

The most I hope for this season is that we can spread the load more successfully to both WRs and RBs and not drop off so dramatically if we substitute or have someone banged-up. The more mature O-line can go a long way to help by opening more running holes and still keeping LJ clean. Any improvement by LJ would help a ton too. Lastly, I hope for Josh to improve his 2nd year in both game planning and in-game adjustments.

Jacie
6/12/2012, 10:28 AM
If it comes down to having Landry Jones at QB and no running game or QB's who are unable to develop a consistently successful passing game but lots of good RB's, i go with choice #1. Need look no farther than sa*et to see what choice #2 gets ya . . .

8timechamps
6/12/2012, 03:28 PM
We have a pass-first offense by design and that's certainly not going to change this season with a 5th year QB. By pass-first (or run-first) I mean the aspect of the offense that you think you can succeed with when the other guy knows it's coming. That was certainly true when we had the Jones to Broyles connection. That doesn't mean you don't run, it just means the run game has to be dangerous if the other guy gambles you won't run and you cross them up. That was also true last season for the 6 or so games we had Whaley.

The most I hope for this season is that we can spread the load more successfully to both WRs and RBs and not drop off so dramatically if we substitute or have someone banged-up. The more mature O-line can go a long way to help by opening more running holes and still keeping LJ clean. Any improvement by LJ would help a ton too. Lastly, I hope for Josh to improve his 2nd year in both game planning and in-game adjustments.

I do realize we are a spread-out, pass the ball offense. Although Stoops always gets defensive about it and calls our offense balances. However, we ran the same offense a couple of years ago when Murray was our back, and had more success running the ball (maybe it was as simple as talent).

Although, as I mentioned previously, losing your starting back and go to receiver has a lot to do with our overall offensive struggles toward the end of last year. Like you, I really hope to see the ball spread to a lot of guys this season. Injuries will happen, but I don't want to be in the situation we were in last year. We really are due for a (relatively) injury free year.

8timechamps
6/12/2012, 03:29 PM
If it comes down to having Landry Jones at QB and no running game or QB's who are unable to develop a consistently successful passing game but lots of good RB's, i go with choice #1. Need look no farther than sa*et to see what choice #2 gets ya . . .

I think your second point is key. You can have a good defense and talented backs, but if you don't have a QB, you don't really have a winning team. At least not against teams equally talented/coached.

KantoSooner
6/12/2012, 03:49 PM
Having a veteran line will be huge. The so-called 'skill' positions have more to do with innate talent and dedication (and not being bird brained) than line play where you actually do get better with age and experience.
Our offense should be at least as good as what we had last year. If our defense can finally stop giving up the big plays we'll contend for at least the conference.

Salt City Sooner
6/12/2012, 04:07 PM
I do realize we are a spread-out, pass the ball offense. Although Stoops always gets defensive about it and calls our offense balances. However, we ran the same offense a couple of years ago when Murray was our back, and had more success running the ball (maybe it was as simple as talent).

Although, as I mentioned previously, losing your starting back and go to receiver has a lot to do with our overall offensive struggles toward the end of last year. Like you, I really hope to see the ball spread to a lot of guys this season. Injuries will happen, but I don't want to be in the situation we were in last year. We really are due for a (relatively) injury free year.
OU was better last year on the ground than in '10 & by a significant margin from an efficiency standpoint. They (& by they I mean I'm looking at you Josh) just didn't run it nearly as much as the previous year. It might've seemed like '10 was better because Murray had the big year (although Whaley was on pace to equal it before he got hurt) , but keep in mind that it took him just short of 300 carries to get those totals.

2010- 578 attempts for a net 1,932 yards. That's a whopping 3.3 yards per carry.

2011- 469 attempts for a net 2,118 yards. 4.5 YPC.

cccasooner2
6/12/2012, 04:30 PM
Seems the BOLD Preditions for 2012 have ground to a halt (temporarily one hopes). :D

BoulderSooner79
6/12/2012, 07:46 PM

I only comment because you said you thought we had "become a pass-first" offense. I'm sure it's a matter of definition, but by my definition, OUr offense has been pass-first by design since '08. Even though we had 2 1000 yard rushers in '08, we couldn't line up to run and dare the defense to stop us (or they would). But we were still very effective at running the ball. It wasn't a dramatic as '08, but last season would could pass-first and run effectively for the first 6 games -- then Whaley missed the TT game with the flu...

I can't imagine big changes in the offensive approach with LJ being a 5th yr senior. So the question is how effective with the offense be? We'll have a lot of raw talent, but we also need chemistry and I don't see a way to predict that. I know many folks here would like to see us mirror a 'Bama approach and that may well happen if this season disappoints and we are changing QBs anyway. It will be interesting to watch the horns because they appear to be trying to be a run-first team with the QB as a game manager and a stout defense like Bama. They certainly have the athletes to do it, but not sure they have the coachng staff.

8timechamps
6/13/2012, 03:17 PM
OU was better last year on the ground than in '10 & by a significant margin from an efficiency standpoint. They (& by they I mean I'm looking at you Josh) just didn't run it nearly as much as the previous year. It might've seemed like '10 was better because Murray had the big year (although Whaley was on pace to equal it before he got hurt) , but keep in mind that it took him just short of 300 carries to get those totals.

2010- 578 attempts for a net 1,932 yards. That's a whopping 3.3 yards per carry.

2011- 469 attempts for a net 2,118 yards. 4.5 YPC.

It would be interesting to see the total number of plays (or average per game) last year versus 2010. But, I'm too lazy to look it up.

Salt City Sooner
6/13/2012, 04:13 PM
It would be interesting to see the total number of plays (or average per game) last year versus 2010. But, I'm too lazy to look it up.
Dang you for baiting me like that; you KNEW I'd take it. :D OU threw 583 passes last year, 633 in '10.

Avg. plays per game- 2010- 86.5, 2011- 80.9

BoulderSooner79
6/13/2012, 06:44 PM
Dang you for baiting me like that; you KNEW I'd take it. :D OU threw 583 passes last year, 633 in '10.

I would attribute the reduction in both pass plays and total plays to the overall dropoff of the offense late in the season - not a change in approach.

8timechamps
6/13/2012, 11:38 PM

That's why I love you SLS!

That really is interesting. In 2010, we ran more plays yet gained less yardage on the ground. Hopefully the rushing trend will continue.

8timechamps
6/13/2012, 11:38 PM
I would attribute the reduction in both pass plays and total plays to the overall dropoff of the offense late in the season - not a change in approach.

This is also a good point. I wanted to throw Blake Bell in there somewhere, but he really didn't gain massive yardage. Just TDs.

Salt City Sooner
6/14/2012, 03:15 AM
For those 2 particular numbers, you'd also need to add in the fact that we played one less game last year (no CCG) as opposed to '10.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/14/2012, 10:42 AM
...now, back to your regularly scheduled BOLD PREDICTIONS 2012...

I predict....

Mike Stoops goes all Woody Hayes on Kenny Stills and throat punches him after Stills muffs a punt setting Texas Texas Tech up for the game winning field goal that sends the rest of the season into a tailspin resulting in a 4-8 record, the firing of the whole staff, a riot which burns down newly constructed Headington Hall, and the decision by the board of regents to eliminate the football program to refocus the university towards a new capital project to go all Olympic and world field sports in hopes of hosting both the World Cup for soccer and the summer Olympics in 2020.

KantoSooner
6/14/2012, 11:06 AM
That IS bold!

Can I get one of whatever brought that on?

Lott's Bandana
6/14/2012, 11:18 AM
When I first started watching the Neal video, I thought he looked, well...slow. Then about 4 plays in, I started to notice him running away from people.
Apparently he has that kind of stride that looks measured, but is faster than it looks. Very much like DM7 did when he got into the open.

Prediction:

Our kicking game FINALLY gets shored-up in all aspects, KO and Punt Returns and coverage, Field Goals and PAT's.

Added prediction nugget: The kicking game wins the game for us in Morgantown, not necessarily by a last-second FG, but by just being good and reliable.

8timechamps
9/20/2012, 08:17 PM
I have a couple of bold predictions for this years squad:

1. Chaz Nelson: will be a playmaker on defense. The JuCo transfer has come in a little under the radar, and I know it's hard to get too hyped over a JuCo transfer. However, I think Nelson will earn playing time early, and never look back. The kid may not be the biggest d-lineman we have, but he may be the smartest. BJW has already said that he just doesn't make mistakes and he brings a great level of toughness to the team.

Great prediction...injured before the season even started. Woo Hoo!

2. Brennan Clay: It's time for Brennan to step up and stand out. I think this is the year he does it. This will be the first year that Clay (knock on wood) enters the season at 100%. He has the speed and skill to make defenses worry, and I think has the mind-set to make a difference this year.

This one is (at least) still pending...But DD Williams may make this one false too (which would be fine by me).

soonerboy_odanorth
9/20/2012, 08:40 PM
Mine is still in play... we haven't gotten to the Tech game yet. :D